WorkHorse
    WorkHorse's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Your Best 'SONGWRITERS' who affected your LIFE

Nothing like the words to a song to challenge a person. Great songs bring out emotions and that's what guts people. Damn hard ankle, candy ass or just SEARCHING IN THIS LIFE, a great song can move one to think.

My favorite songwriter is TOWNES VAN ZANDT. I'm not a kid, I'm an old guy and his songs bring me to tears at times. No other writer does that...he's different because of his situation and life. No fake bullshit in his writings.

Dead Flowers, Waiting Around to Die, Tecumseh County, Pancho and Lefty, If I Needed You to name a few.
    Others writers I like......

Bob Dylan
    Kris Kristofferson
    Leonard Cohen.

Who do you suggest as "Great Songwriters" that have influenced you are moved you to 'ACTION' in life?

Points Awarded:

Willie Bee gave WorkHorse 10 SBR Point(s) for this post.

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 687

Tom Waits blows my mind.

The Madcap
    The world meets nobody halfway.
    The Madcap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 460

Bonjo Stockton. He's an obscure southern folk singer. Never recorded an album, but if you ever catch wind of him playing in your town, check him out.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Axl Rose

mmike032
    mmike032's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8274

Jamey Johnson

Reload
    Winning Aint Easy
    Reload's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14730

Kid Rock

Nats' Fan
    Nats' Fan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 301

Bruce Springsteen
    Johnny Cash

sneak-a-peak
    sneak-a-peak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Robert Hunter- Grateful Dead song writer.

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Kurt Cobain
    Billy Corgan
    Bruce Springsteen

Mr. Jones
    Mr. Jones's Avatar Become A Pro!

1] Bob Dylan, 2] John Lennon, 3] Leonard Cohen, 4] Neil Young, 5] Kris Kristofferson 6] early Jimmy Buffet before he sucked.

Mr. Jones
    Mr. Jones's Avatar Become A Pro!

Forgot Springsteen. Shouldn't have.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Jagger/Richards
    McCartney/Lennon

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

probably Barry Manilow

It feels sad.........

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 687

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    probably Barry Manilow

It feels sad.........
    Barely a man ya know

WorkHorse

Hell of a list you guys have favored.

Madcap....is Banjo someone around the GA, Al, MS area. Know most, just not him I think.

Nats...During my younger days, would drive 6 hours to see Bruce. When he got into politics, I wouldn't drive across town to see the bastard. I'll admit, the SOB puts on a great concert.

Mr. Jones....great to see someone who recognizes Leonard Cohen. I was working in Austin, Texas on a trip and by chance when to his concert. Been hooked ever since and that was early 90's. His music is different but his songs are great.

One of my favorite all time songs is 'Sunday Morning Sunday' by KK. Goddamn, I've been there.

The Madcap

Quote Originally Posted by sneak-a-peak View Post
    Robert Hunter- Grateful Dead song writer.
    Double that.

"Got to find a woman be good to me, won't hide my liquor try to serve me tea..."

"We used to play for silver, now we play for life."

"Goes to show you don't ever know, watch each card you play and play it slow, wait until your deal come round, don't you let that deal go down."

"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shine, come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time. No, I got no chance of losing this time."

The Madcap

Quote Originally Posted by WorkHorse View Post
    Hell of a list you guys have favored.

Madcap....is Banjo someone around the GA, Al, MS area. Know most, just not him I think.

Nats...During my younger days, would drive 6 hours to see Bruce. When he got into politics, I wouldn't drive across town to see the bastard. I'll admit, the SOB puts on a great concert.

Mr. Jones....great to see someone who recognizes Leonard Cohen. I was working in Austin, Texas on a trip and by chance when to his concert. Been hooked ever since and that was early 90's. His music is different but his songs are great.

One of my favorite all time songs is 'Sunday Morning Sunday' by KK. Goddamn, I've been there.
    I wish I could tell you. He's a vagabond if there ever was. I don't know if he makes it to 'Bama or Mississippi, but I know he's played Georgia. Spends most of his time around the Appalachians and surrounding foothills. Asheville, Boone, Chattanooga, Charlottesville, etc.

Word is he's got some big reason why he doesn't want to make it big. Lots of theories. Wanted man. Ex-con. Deadbeat dad. Politicians son. No one really knows. For all I know the fukker could be from New Jersey.

BeatTheJerk
    BeatTheJerk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

Tupac Shakur

Al Masters
    Al Masters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11516

Lennon and McCartney
    VAN MORRISON
    jAMES TAYLOR
    jim morrison
    Billy JOEL
    Frank Zappa
    Paul Simon

As you can see i'm from generation the 70s

empty cookie jar
    empty cookie jar's Avatar Become A Pro!

that dang ole jim steinman.....bat out of hell

for all you homosechuls, total eclipse of the fart

THE PROFIT
    THE PROFIT's Avatar Become A Pro!

Johnny cash, steve earle, waylon jennings, billy joe shaver, george thorogood

Jericholic
    The Ayatollah of Rock 'N Rolla
    Jericholic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8286

I would have to say Weird Al.

UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

2pac. The only guy that could make you feel his emotions as well as yours in every song he wrote.

My block(remix)
    As the world turns
    Unconditional love
    Life goes on
    I aint mad at cha
    Thugz mansion

And so many more. Besides him
    Not many other artists touch me threw there entire music collection but here are a few

Commodores- sail on, leannon me
    Dmx- slippin, lord give me a sign
    Billy joel- piano man
    Hotel california- eagles
    Time of your life- green day

I cud go on forever. Music basically keeps me going and its beaty cant be defined through words

isles71
    isles71's Avatar Become A Pro!

I have not read this entire thread, Elliott Smith?
    Points Awarded:

Cuse0323 gave isles71 12 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Jimmy Proffett
    Jimmy Proffett's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 954

Wesley Willis

check him out, guy's a genius

WorkHorse

Madcap.....sometimes the great ones are hard to find until 'later'. Townes Van Zandt was loved by the heavy hitters but was just a man unto himself. Bob Dylan ask him on several occasions to write songs with him. Zandt didn't think he was worthy and wouldn't. He played small venues and never sought the big stuff....bad drugs made him one to suffer. The SOB is the best songwriter I have ever experienced. If I have have 12 to 18 cold ones after a long day ....his music (He) and voice just kill me.

Many times, life experiences determine favorites........................

GettingScrilla
    Warriors on the Under
    GettingScrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!

Eminem is one of the top 5 entertainers of my generation...his talent is unbelievable considering he never had any training...I hate to go so mainstream but Will Smith is a triple threat that kills the game. Tons of Rap albums, a tv show that has been running 25 years, and 20+ high budget feature films. Not to mention he has the all time most expensive music video to date in MIAMI. Not saying that he "touched me" but he has effected the culture and my generation no doubt...

sneak-a-peak
    sneak-a-peak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by The Madcap View Post
    Double that.

"Got to find a woman be good to me, won't hide my liquor try to serve me tea..."

"We used to play for silver, now we play for life."

"Goes to show you don't ever know, watch each card you play and play it slow, wait until your deal come round, don't you let that deal go down."

"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shine, come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time. No, I got no chance of losing this time."
    Ya buddy!

He was very unique, creative and inspirational! His songs can really make you ponder the lyrics into some deep thoughts.

No one else quite like him IMO

The Madcap

Madcap.....sometimes the great ones are hard to find until 'later'. Townes Van Zandt was loved by the heavy hitters but was just a man unto himself. Bob Dylan ask him on several occasions to write songs with him. Zandt didn't think he was worthy and wouldn't. He played small venues and never sought the big stuff....bad drugs made him one to suffer. The SOB is the best songwriter I have ever experienced. If I have have 12 to 18 cold ones after a long day ....his music (He) and voice just kill me.

Many times, life experiences determine favorites........................
    Nobody like Townes. My dad's got a recording of his from sometime in the 90's around the time "No deeper blue" came out. You could hear in his voice he didn't have much longer left. Sort of like that "Black Muddy River" Jerry sang at Soldier Field.

Joszan7
    Joszan7's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 330

Mine has to be Dave Mustaine.

WorkHorse

Al Masters......James Taylor...Jesus was he something during my college days. I remember one girl who wouldn't date me until she found out I could take her to see Taylor. I never did...loved James...**** her.

Profit....Steve Earle said that Townes Van Zant was the best songwriter he had ever heard and he would stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table and tell him that.

Forgot who posted HOTEL CALIFORNIA by the Eagles............loved that song.

WorkHorse

Madcap....seems you have some smarts on this subject (not that anyone else did not). Don't know how old you are...but did you ever see Elvis. Saw him once in Atlanta at the Omni. I know he is loved but I wasn't impressed.

Seen him? Your thoughts.

The Madcap

Madcap....seems you have some smarts on this subject (not that anyone else did not). Don't know how old you are...but did you ever see Elvis. Saw him once in Atlanta at the Omni. I know he is loved but I wasn't impressed.

Seen him? Your thoughts.
    hahaha, no I can't say I ever saw the King. He died four years before I was born. (I'm 29).

Best shows I've seen: Allman Brothers, Doc Watson, Phish, Black Crowes w/Jimmy Page, Tom Petty, Aerosmith, Steep Canyon Rangers, Widespread Panic, Duke Ellington, Steel Pulse, Buddy Guy, Steve Miller Band, AC/DC.

Others that were pretty good: Clapton, Springsteen, ZZ Top, Ray Lamontagne, David Bowie, Chairman of the Board. Skynyrd's tribute tour, Acoustic Syndicate, Donna the Buffalo, String Cheese Incident. (and probably 30 others I've forgotten)

Great performers not up to their best: Beach Boys, Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney.

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Quote Originally Posted by isles71 View Post
    I have not read this entire thread, Elliott Smith?
    never thought anyone here would mention him. that would number 1 for me, easily.

UntilTheNDofTimE
    I thought i told you that we dont stop
    UntilTheNDofTimE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 151

Me and all my friends were all misunderstood. They say we stand for nothing and theres no way we ever will. Now if we had the power to bring our soldiers home from war, we would of never missed a christmas. No more ribbons on there doors.

123 Last