G's pks's Avatar Become A Pro!

Cubs get Garza!

Just heard on espn!

Bunch of minor leaguers involved.

G's pks
    Update your status

Cubs get Garza!

Bunch of minor leaguers involved! Just on espn....

BRAVES1985
    BRAVES1985's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1975

ya i heard this too. good move by the cubbies

HotStreak
    Smokin'
    HotStreak's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 901

According to Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago, the Cubs and Rays have agreed to an eight-player trade involving right-hander Matt Garza.
    Here's how Levine has the trade going down: The Rays will get top pitching prospect Chris Archer, outfielder Brandon Guyer, catcher Robinson Chirinos, shortstop Hak-Ju Lee and outfielder Sam Fuld from Chicago. The Cubs will get a minor-league pitcher and a minor-league outfielder, along with Garza, from the Rays. Garza, a 27-year-old righty, registered a strong 3.91 ERA and 1.25 WHIP last season in the AL East. He will immediately become the Cubs' No. 2 starter and should do very well in the National League Central. Jan. 7 - 11:31 am et
    Source: ESPN Chicago

EXhoosier10
    EXhoosier10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4390

Quote Originally Posted by BRAVES1985 View Post
    ya i heard this too. good move by the cubbies
    Good move my ass. How does this help a team that isn't going to compete? Garza is a solid 3rd option on a good team, but none of his peripherals stand out. He was an above average pitcher on arguably the best defensive team in the league and now comes to Chicago, with our aging outfielders and a hitter's park (Garza is a FB pitcher on top of that). In the event that any of those minor leaguers develop into anything more than a replacement level player, this trade isn't going to be good for the Cubs. Garza will be making $10mil per while providing 2-3 WAR while one of the prospects will provide 1-2, have room to grow, and be making < $1mil. In a time when the Cubs don't have anything to compete for besides the biggest decline in ticket sales, this is a poor move by a GM who is fighting to keep his job by mortgaging the Cubs future.

oiler
    oiler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2500

Quote Originally Posted by G's pks View Post
    Just heard on espn!

dont thimk hes the answer

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

Tampa Bay should be contracted out of the league.

Cuse4tw
    Sharp Square
    Cuse4tw's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 144

yessss!

G's pks
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by oiler View Post
    dont thimk hes the answer
    will not hurt...at least the cubbies did something finally..no one wants Soriano!

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by G's pks View Post
    Just heard on espn!

The curse of the billygoat and Bartman will never allow the Cubs to win in your lifetime...get used to it

Igetp2s
    Igetp2s's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Cubs are now championship caliber. This was their last missing piece.

Hexum
    Hexum's Avatar Become A Pro!

Its okay, he will end up getting hurt. Come on man, he is going to the Cubs.

White Sox ftw

Dirty Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by Igetp2s View Post
    The Cubs are now championship caliber. This was their last missing piece.
    Matt Garza is the missing link? Seriously? Career Record 42-44 ERA: 3.97 and he played for a winner. I wouldn't be ordering my playoff tickets anytime soon.

slimpickins
    slimpickins's Avatar Become A Pro!

I do think Garza will do well in the NL Central
    Gave up a big haul of prospects for Garza though.

Garza has the talent of a #1 but in reality he is a #2 or #3 pitcher. Seems to be a bit of a head case, spits too much for my taste.

I know Rays minors is loaded and Hellickson now moves to a full time SP, but still amazes me they would trade a solid starter after losing Crawford, Pena, Soriano etc... this off season. They have a good team but I guess they would rather not compete this year and look toward the future.
    Sad to be honest, they need a new home ; one with real fans and a new stadium so they have some money for payroll.
    Last edited by slimpickins; 01-07-11 at 01:29 PM.

mlb
    mlb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12779

a chance of being more competitive but they are not getting out of the central imo

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21641

Quote Originally Posted by EXhoosier10 View Post
    Good move my ass. How does this help a team that isn't going to compete? Garza is a solid 3rd option on a good team, but none of his peripherals stand out. He was an above average pitcher on arguably the best defensive team in the league and now comes to Chicago, with our aging outfielders and a hitter's park (Garza is a FB pitcher on top of that). In the event that any of those minor leaguers develop into anything more than a replacement level player, this trade isn't going to be good for the Cubs. Garza will be making $10mil per while providing 2-3 WAR while one of the prospects will provide 1-2, have room to grow, and be making < $1mil. In a time when the Cubs don't have anything to compete for besides the biggest decline in ticket sales, this is a poor move by a GM who is fighting to keep his job by mortgaging the Cubs future.
    Talk about an overreaction. The only real loss here is Archer, who did have a standout year in the minors last season. Cubs didn't even draft him, he was a throw-in in the DeRosa deal, which everyone at the time thought was so terrible. As for the others, SS Lee was blocked by Castro, Chirinos blocked by Soto, plus his upside is minimal. Guyer is nothing more than a 4th OF. Fuld is nothing. I think you're way overreaching as to what the Cubs gave up. Cubs kep their best OF prospect Brett Jackson. If that had been BJax instead of Guyer, I'd be in line with your thinking. But as it is, I think the prospect swap is rather reasonable, and Garza is a bargain for what he'll be making the next 3 seasons.

You can always argue against any established player for prospect deal thinking that some prospects may turn out great, but that's part of what the farm is for. And it makes some sense to deal into strength and positions where the young players are blocked, like Lee (blocked by Castro) and Chirinos (blocked by Soto). Only gave up the one arm in exchange for a much more established one that can fill a major need at the top of the rotation right now.

Good trade.

Mr. Jones
    Mr. Jones's Avatar Become A Pro!

This may sound stupid, but............I see Garza a year or two down the rode and I see another Zambrano. Bad Carlos not good Carlos.

So far the kid lacks the mental make up necessary to be consistent. Does not do a good job when he runs into adversity. Though he will pitch many good games, there will probably be just as many bad ones.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones View Post
    This may sound stupid, but............I see Garza a year or two down the rode and I see another Zambrano. Bad Carlos not good Carlos.

So far the kid lacks the mental make up necessary to be consistent. Does not do a good job when he runs into adversity. Though he will pitch many good games, there will probably be just as many bad ones.
    He's been good under pressure in his playoff appearances though.

Herky
    Herky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4589

Terrible trade by the Cubs, but what do you expect?

Austin103
    Austin103's Avatar Become A Pro!

Not bad

Resler
    Resler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 57

ugh, come on Cubs. They are they are the biggest let down in the history of baseball.

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Seriously though. Those prospects look pretty impressive for a guy who had his best year ever and his era was close to 4.00.
    Archer, 22, combined to go 15-3 with 2.34 in 28 games between Single-A Daytona and Tennessee, and was the Cubs' 2010 minor league pitcher of the year. Archer was acquired by the Cubs in a trade that sent popular utility man Mark DeRosa to the Cleveland Indians.

Guyer batted .344 with 13 home runs and 58 RBIs for Double-A Tennessee in 2010. The 24-year old was the Cubs' minor league player of the year.

Lee batted .282 and stole 32 bases for Single-A Peoria.

Fuld played in 98 games for the Cubs between 2007-10. He batted .299 in 65 games in '09.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehorseshoe View Post
    Seriously though. Those prospects look pretty impressive for a guy who had his best year ever and his era was close to 4.00.
    Minor league statistics can be very deceiving. I think Archer is the only likely substantial major leaguer of the group and his success is pretty uncertain too based on one season. Fuld is nothing. Guyer is a 4th outfielder. Lee is a good defender, but limited bat. Chirinos a defensive backup.

If you go off minor league stats, you'd assume Micah Hoffpauir and Jake Fox would be all-stars.

VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Rays are selling the farm

Dirty Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by VegasInsider View Post
    Rays are selling the farm
    They're headed back to their past....kind of sad. If you've ever seen a game at Tropicana Field it's like a concrete tomb...just a horrible place to watch baseball

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Rays are so screwed.

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

How will the Cubs do this season, still a few players short imo.

Jericholic
    The Ayatollah of Rock 'N Rolla
    Jericholic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8286

Good pick up by the Cubs. Still have a ways to go though.

Pauulzcappin
    Pauulzcappin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 568

Cubs will be 4th tops in the NL Central this year. Such a horrible ballclub.

BrentCrude
    BrentCrude's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Did alcohol play a part in Garza being traded?

I guess the guy was traded the last time due to alcohol problems.Looks like he still has the monkey on his back?

63890000's Avatar Become A Pro!

they need some help hope this helps them because they suck

patswin
    patswin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10189

surprised to see the rays traded him

ukbro00
    ukbro00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 969

I'm surprised he was traded too, but the Rays would be stupid to not make that deal. Got the Cubs Minor League Player of the Year AND Minor League Pitcher of the Year for a guy who had a 3.91 ERA last year.

jmush
    jmush's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1920

fukin hate that dude spitting all over himself..looks like a terd

BigOrangeBrother
    BigOrangeBrother's Avatar Become A Pro!

The Cubs are desperate

12 Last