Tom Rodgers
    Tom Rodgers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

Memphis @ Tennessee Discussion

I like Memphis +7 tonight and here's why:

Both these teams can shoot, no question about it. TN has struggled a lttle bit this year, but Bruce Pearl is a good coach and they'll work it out down the road. Memphis and Tennessee have one major problem and it's called defense. Memphis allows 70 a game and Tennessee gives up 68. Their FG% is only a 1% difference and both are around 70% from the line (Memphis with a slight edge). Where they differ is in 3 pointers and steals. Memphis can hit about 7 three's a game and TN can rack up roughly 5. Thats a 6 point difference and that's a game changer in the favor of Memphis. Check out Memphis's steals stats, they get 10 a game. Tennessee's not too shabby either with their 7, but lets just say both teams hit below their 70% average and hit 50%, due to nerves or hot chicks in the stands flashing them or whatever, but that gives a 3pt edge to Memphis. Add that into the 6 point edge from the arc and you've got a 9pt advantage going to a team that is ranked 16th in the nation in points per game. What do you think about it?
    Last edited by Tom Rodgers; 01-05-11 at 11:36 AM.

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

With the eggs Tennessee has been laying the past couple of weeks i would not take them at -7, good luck on your Memphis play.

ATP123
    ATP123's Avatar Become A Pro!

these 2 play under a lot against each others similar styles

Goodfella10
    Goodfella10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 80

IMO, Tennessee will cover tonight. If you look at their games, they play up to the level of their opponents. Pitt and Villanova were two big games and Tennessee won them both. Memphis fits into the big game category to me and I think Tennessee will come to play. Truthfully I am basing my opinion on nothing more than that and the fact that Memphis is yet to play a true road game this year. Thompson-Bowling is a tough place to play when it is a big game and Tennessee is playing well. I could be completely wrong about this, but I just have a hunch. Good luck on whatever you decide to play tonight.

dukeblue888
    dukeblue888's Avatar Become A Pro!

Completely agree. Memphis ML here

chaseman
    chaseman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 562

Tenn always plays to the level of their opponents. Coll of Charleston played the luckiest game of their lives at Tenn, then went on to lose to Morehead St. by 20. This is the last game before Bruce Pearl begins his ridiculous suspension. He's beaten Memphis in the past when Memphis was much better (you could argue Tenn was much better then as well, however Tenn beats ranked teams--they show that over and over again).

This is tough because I tell myself to never bet Tenn as a favorite. They lose SU at home when they are favored by 13, but they'll win on the road as +8's against a top 10 team. Amazing. Tread lightly when Tennessee is on the court.. you never know what will happen. The oddsmakers seem intent that Tennessee is really good, so we'll see what happens.

LLXC
    LLXC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10451

Been fading Tennessee last few games. This game worries me a little due to Memphis' first true away game, and they're super young. Might pass here and fade Tenn next game.

Eating Bookies
    Useful idiot
    Eating Bookies's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think Under is the play

southpaw74
    southpaw74's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 494

I'll take the dog with that many points! Tenn is junk and niether team can make a free throw.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Interesting game. Cannot fathom laying points with Tennessee, but this is Pearl's last game before his SEC suspension starts so perhaps they get motivated for once? Both teams have been shit ATS this season, but this series is generally a close one. I think Memphis and the points is a good play as long as their shooters show up. They have a better shooting squad than UT. You look at the Vols wins against quality competition like Memphis and they aren't blowouts. Seems like a gift, but so was the points Charleston got against them and that worked out.

Vol_Bengal
    Vol_Bengal's Avatar Become A Pro!

Actually - Tenn win over Nova was double digits, and the 7 pt win over Pitt was running 12-13 all second half before pitt started fouling with about 3 min left still and still was a 7 pt win. That said - I wouldn't take UT laying points... but I'm not gonna fade em at home against a bitter in-state rival.

zephyr
    zephyr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 581

Vols looking good tonight. Hard to figure this team out.

Vol_Bengal
    Vol_Bengal's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Vols looking good tonight. Hard to figure this team out.
    They do tonight but aren't that difficult really... they play to their competition... no doubting the talent is there just whether they come to play each night. Not something I'm willing to risk my money on!

zephyr

Quote Originally Posted by Vol_Bengal View Post
    They do tonight but aren't that difficult really... they play to their competition... no doubting the talent is there just whether they come to play each night. Not something I'm willing to risk my money on!
    Yeah. I agree with that. I held off tonight on them with money (I bet against them in a contest).

I am looking at them and noting, though, that they could be a little bit interesting in the tournament, when that kind of motivation is there.

ukbsktbll
    ukbsktbll's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

Memphis needs to step it up

3PtShooter
    3PtShooter's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16197

Tenn -7 Lower ranked team giving higher ranked team pts

3PtShooter
    3PtShooter's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16197

UNLV -4 a play tonight also

zephyr

Oh yes. I'm on the Rebels tonight. I'm betting that Kruger has a plan to cool off Fredette. BYU relies too much on one guy. And I just like UNLV at Thomas and Mack in a big game -- which this is.

ukbsktbll
    ukbsktbll's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

Ant 2H play

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5350

2nd half?

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

Im taking Memphis 2nd half they missed so many free throws and easy lay ups and Tenn was stroking...

chaseman
    chaseman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 562

Tennessee is beating Memphis so bad that Tenn has subbed their head coach. I'm pretty sure Tony Jones is calling the subs right now.

MUHerd37
    Status Your Update.
    MUHerd37's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10678

This is ridiculous. I have a 6 team teaser and Memphis +15 was the last one I needed. Just like last night. I had a 4 team teaser and Detroit +19.5 lost it when they got killed by the Lakers. Tennessee has been so bad at home and then they do this? Fukk me runnin!!!

agharah1
    agharah1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1191

Let me get this straight: Memphis gets shat on at home by Georgetown, gets taken to overtime by Austin Peay, gives up 90 pts to Tennessee State, and you took them to cover in their first road game against a team that does nothing but score? Since when was Memphis synonymous with making jumpshots anyway? The only play tonight should have been the over, because these guys were going to approach the game like an All-Star game. Except if it really was a State of Tennessee All Star game, it would have been between Vanderbilt and Belmont, lol.

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by Bcatswin View Post
    Im taking Memphis 2nd half they missed so many free throws and easy lay ups and Tenn was stroking...

Wow got this one wrong but got lucky as Bodog said i was too late.

Though the Tenn and Over is looking great...

bettilimbroke999
    bettilimbroke999's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 506

Memphis is #22 in the nation, must be another rough year for baskets

Eating Bookies
    Useful idiot
    Eating Bookies's Avatar Become A Pro!

wow Memphis got whipped around like a rag doll.

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7847

Quote Originally Posted by bettilimbroke999 View Post
    Memphis is #22 in the nation, must be another rough year for baskets
    no, they're just insanely overrated. i said, even while they had the lead against georgetown, that they didn't deserve to be a top 25 team. they went on to get destroyed. YET...remained in the top 25. i bleed blue too, btw.

utmoody10
    utmoody10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 725

Memphis will have a hard time in CUSA that is greatly improved from previous years. Tennessee continues to be hot and cold. A cut down rotation and Hopson regularly contributing will help the Vols going into conference play.

YOUNGBUCK
    YOUNGBUCK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5189

Quote Originally Posted by agharah1 View Post
    Let me get this straight: Memphis gets shat on at home by Georgetown, gets taken to overtime by Austin Peay, gives up 90 pts to Tennessee State, and you took them to cover in their first road game against a team that does nothing but score? Since when was Memphis synonymous with making jumpshots anyway? The only play tonight should have been the over, because these guys were going to approach the game like an All-Star game. Except if it really was a State of Tennessee All Star game, it would have been between Vanderbilt and Belmont, lol.
    good post after the game im picking 100 percent after the game this year as well