EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Really? Ron Frankling Got Canned by ESPN For This?

I grew up in Texas, so I have known Ron Franklin since before he went big on ESPN. Can't believe this is the bullshit that gets you fired now a day. Political correct BS at its best.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0....html?ir=Media

ESPN reportedly fired announcer Ron Franklin on Tuesday after he was pulled from the Fiesta Bowl broadcast for making sexist comments to sideline reporter Jeannine Edwards.

According to John Ourand of the Sports Business Journal, an ESPN spokesman said "based on what occurred last Friday, we have ended our relationship with him."

Before Friday's Chick Fil-A Bowl, Franklin said to Edwards, "Listen to me sweet baby, let me tell you something."

After Edwards told him not to address her like that, Franklin responded by saying, "OK, then listen to me a-hole."

Franklin apologized for his remarks on Monday and said he deserved to be pulled from the Fiesta Bowl.
    Seriously. Get over yourself Edwards you thunderkunt.

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

"OK, then listen to me a-hole."

It sucks working with women, always having to watch every little thing you say and do around them.

TexansFan
    TexansFan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 211

I remember when he was a local sportscaster here in Houston. It's too bad as he was a good announcer, but he should have known in this day and age you can't get away with stupid shit like that.

ronjon619
    California Uber Alles
    ronjon619's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 144

did he say all that on the air?

katstale
    katstale's Avatar Become A Pro!

ESPN is fast becoming the MSNBC of the sports world. They hype things and try to make things impt which are not. Try to con average viewer. an a##hole is not gender specific. Now if he would have called her a oyster.... well, ok then he had something to apologize for.

katstale
    katstale's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ronjon619 View Post
    did he say all that on the air?
    off air is my understanding.

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by katstale View Post
    off air is my understanding.
    He said this during a production meeting with 2 male colleagues and the female present.

wtf
    wtf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

unless you look like brad pitt you must watch every word out of your mouth or those nasty oysters will make your life miserable

Metalhead
    Metalhead's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 243

ESPN dumps Franklin so we can hear more brilliant sideline reporting from Jeannine? When is ESPN going to figure out that having these women on the sidelines does nothing but cause them problems. The worst part is, most people can't stand listening to them.

ronjon619
    California Uber Alles
    ronjon619's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 144

Quote Originally Posted by Metalhead View Post
    ESPN dumps Franklin so we can hear more brilliant sideline reporting from Jeannine? When is ESPN going to figure out that having these women on the sidelines does nothing but cause them problems. The worst part is, most people can't stand listening to them.
    I love it when they catch an angry coach after half with a question like," Coach, you can't seem to stop the run. What is your plan to stop it in the 2nd half?"

Metalhead
    Metalhead's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 243

I don't know Jeannine, I think we'll start with some tackling.

nosniboR11
    fu
    nosniboR11's Avatar Become A Pro!

learn to respect people in the workplace, but hell you would not know anything about that

brxbmbers42
    brxbmbers42's Avatar Become A Pro!

I agree with noser. You don't fukkin treat women like that. Guy is a doosh. Glad he got fired.

Z_Wipf
    Z_Wipf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 275

the guy sounds like an ass. I'm glad he got fired. Call a woman an asshole because she doesn't want to be called baby? Just because you're from texas doesn't mean you have to slob all over the guys dick.....

THE PROFIT
    THE PROFIT's Avatar Become A Pro!

I just call women "sugar" & *aggots "whistlebritches" in the workplace. Haven't had a problem yet

pokernut9999
    pokernut9999's Avatar Become A Pro!

One of my favorite announcers , should have left the female to the horse broadcasts.

THE PROFIT
    THE PROFIT's Avatar Become A Pro!

he went to the Ron Burgandy school of broadcasting, he cant help it

tblues2005
    tblues2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7184

I think he should have been suspended for like 30 days and given a second chance.

raggman
    raggman's Avatar Become A Pro!

i'll miss franklin calling big 12 basketball

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15296

My last week of work I got so bad I referred to my co workers as idiots and dumb asses in meetings. I spoke with no regard because I could care less if I was fired. Straight up told people right to their faces that they had no clue what they were doing. I never even came close to get fired but I did get a talking to for telling my manager that his idea was the stupidest thing I ever heard.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

I wonder if the chick addressed him as handsome boy and he complained if she would have been fired.

BadNina
    I did troubles!!
    BadNina's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13869

It is my understanding that he was speaking with the other men and then she came up and interrupted. And that the reason cited for his dismissal was that his apology wasn't sincere. I don't think he should have been fired.

Jrod124
    Update your status
    Jrod124's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 535

lets hope Beth Mowins calls a man in a production meeting something vulgar. Firing Frankling for us and letting a moron like Mowins call bowl games? Sad state at ESPN

donnyguru
    Rust Never Sleeps
    donnyguru's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8759

ESPN announcer Ron Franklin was pulled from Saturday’s Fiesta Bowl radio broadcast after making crude comments to sideline reporter Jeanine Edwards during a production meeting.
    Edwards and Franklin were part of a team that included broadcasters Ed Cunningham and Rod Gilmore. According to SportsByBrooks, Franklin, Cunningham and Gilmore were in the midst of a conversation about Gilmore’s wiferecently being elected the mayor of Alameda, California.
    As the three men talked, Edwards attempted to join in. That’s when Franklin said, “Why don’t you leave this to the boys, sweetcakes.”
    Edwards responded, “Don’t call me sweetcakes, I don’t like being talked to like that.”
    To which Franklin said, “Okay then, asshole.”

Ron Franklin was the best play by play man at ESPN. Gonna miss him on Monday night Big 12 games.
    Last edited by donnyguru; 01-05-11 at 02:31 AM.

BookiesBernanke
    BookiesBernanke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

he should have said sorry and then texted her a pic of his c*ck

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Well that sucks, he was pretty good. Don't know who she is, when they go to the sideline to ask dumb questions that's when I go to the bathroom or get another beer.

BookiesBernanke
    BookiesBernanke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

I hate it the most when the sideline chicks try to ask a question and the coach blows them off -- its like WTF are you there for if you cant even get a guy to stop and answer a question

frizzelli
    frizzelli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

gangster

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Women in sportscasting can get away with murder. Stick to reporting the Golden Globes and the Miss Universe pageants and leave football reporting to men who know how to ask questions.

MadTiger
    Wait 'til next year!
    MadTiger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

That simple-minded, Archie Bunker/John Wayne caveman shit doesn't fly as easily anymore.

It's not that he called her an asshole. It's the INITIAL part of the exchange. The "let the boys handle this" part. The misogynistic comment.

MadTiger
    Wait 'til next year!
    MadTiger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

Quote Originally Posted by BookiesBernanke View Post
    he should have said sorry and then texted her a pic of his c*ck
    If he's working with anything similar to friend Favre, then he would be accused of being a man of "few" words.

MBENZ
    MBENZ's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10455

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod124 View Post
    lets hope Beth Mowins calls a man in a production meeting something vulgar. Firing Frankling for us and letting a moron like Mowins call bowl games? Sad state at ESPN
    Here,here,the best comment in this thread.That droney bitch drives me nuts.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Do you see any male reporters (that are not gay) covering women's basketball or volleyball? No

Then why do women have to cover men football when it is so evident they can't read 2 plays out of the playbook and understand what the play is.

MBENZ
    MBENZ's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10455

Adding Edwards knows the ponies and that is what she should be doing.Remember her from Post time at Pimlico and was pissed when she left for ESPN but she is out of her league on the sidelines.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Quote Originally Posted by TexansFan View Post
    I remember when he was a local sportscaster here in Houston. It's too bad as he was a good announcer, but he should have known in this day and age you can't get away with stupid shit like that.
    Yeah, same here, used to like watching his sports when he was working alongside Ron Stone who handled the news anchor job for the Houston CBS affiliate. Great play-by-play voice, deep and rich, reminds me of Bob Harvey's voice if any of you have heard him on some of the videos here at SBR.

Hope he lands with someone back here in Texas, would love to see him take Dave South's job as the Voice of the Aggies. Won't happen, but would love to see it.

12 Last