ProfaneReality
    ProfaneReality's Avatar Become A Pro!

HD Projector?

anyone have one? feed back? one of my concerns is that i want to put it in a room that gets a lot of sunlight

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why would you get a projector to put in a room that receives alot of light?

I'm guessing you're not really getting one.

Double Bogey
    Double Bogey's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1472

If you're serious, you need a very high lumens bulb projector and a very high gain screen. But still I would advise some means of shutting down the light some if you want to watch during the day.

ProfaneReality

Quote Originally Posted by ngates815 View Post
    Why would you get a projector to put in a room that receives alot of light?

I'm guessing you're not really getting one.
    you're guessing wrong

collecting info, guy...is that ok?

ProfaneReality

if im serious...you fukks may live in a fictional Fantasy life...but I dont.

why the fukk would I post about a projector if I wasnt considering it

blackbeSSt
    blackbeSSt's Avatar Become A Pro!

black out shades ftw

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ProfaneReality View Post
    you're guessing wrong collecting info, guy...is that ok?

How many places have you been to that have a projector in the living room, with windows involved?

Why would you need to collect info, when you should already know that it isn't the best of ideas to throw a projector into a room other than a basement, or a room with no windows?

ProfaneReality

last time i saw a projector in person was in high school now fukk off gates

with all this new shit im sure that theres projectors that operate fine in rooms that get light

jnickell100
    jnickell100's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 269

damn it.
    I had a long reply to this and accidentally clicked the reply button and it erased it. My uncle had a projector that he set up in his game room which was pretty much just a room that was used as a game room. The graphics were pretty bad and the light made it almost unwatchable. Im not sure if its the projector being cheap, the light or just the room being so small.

However, while i was subbing in the High schools around town each classroom had projectors. They were awesome, pretty much HD. The classroom let in some light obviously because of the windows on the doors. Ill see if i can find that projector

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Maybe the most important thing to consider is the amount of ambient light you have in your room. If there are large windows, with direct sunlight it will be difficult to produce an acceptable image. The more amount of light in a room, the brighter the projector has to be to display the image. An ideal location for a home hd projector is one that has complete light control. Basements make great locations for home theaters because you can completely control the lights, turning them off for the movies or dimming them for a football game. Areas such as great rooms or living rooms can be more difficult because it is more difficult if not impossible to limit light into the room.

ProfaneReality

well some thick ass curtains/blinds are always an option

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Not worth it, bulbs blow and very expensive

Just get a fukkin big tv as it is much more cost effective

Aristocles
    Aristocles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

I have a Mits HC3800. My screen is DIY and employs Cream&Sugar, a paint mixture with a gain of ~1.0 at 0 degree viewing angle. It is very hampered by large amounts of ambient light. It will tolerate some fine but not much. You need a light canon and Black Widow paint, for a do it yourself set-up.

I bought mine last spring, and love it.

If I really wanted an extremely high ambient light handling projector I'd look into >3K projectors. But on ALL front projectors, contrast will by definition be diminished.

Another thing to consider:

Once properly outfitted, you are ruined for going back to much smaller screens. Certainly a plasma has better blacks and LCD/LED TVs can look great but the size factor wins out when it is coupled with 1080p.

Edit: I'd eliminate the light to as great a degree as possible or I'd look into rear screen projectors.
    Last edited by Aristocles; 01-04-11 at 02:16 PM.