Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

If a person is born deaf, what language do they think in?

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9752

the language that they read

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Edit - I'm an idiot obv.

I've wondered a few times though what a person born blind dreams about since their brain can't really create visions of things they've never seen.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    Wow. I have no clue. I've wondered a few times though what a person born blind dreams about since their brain can't really create visions of things they've never seen.
    Exactly. Brutal. Thanks be God.

samgurt
    samgurt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Quote Originally Posted by ttwarrior1 View Post
    the language that they read
    I agree...The question I wonder is what language does a multi-lingual person think in? The person has to speak all the languages fluently though

Deuce
    Eddie Mush

Quote Originally Posted by samgurt View Post
    I agree...The question I wonder is what language does a multi-lingual person think in? The person has to speak all the languages fluently though
    I have thought this as well.

iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774

Deuce, you need to be worrying about picking winners tomorrow and how to get in Shari's pants...

This useless shit will get you nowhere in life...

shari91

When I was living in Italy, I actually thought and dreamed in Italian after about a year there. But then again I was immersed in the language so I guess that makes sense a bit.

I wonder what someone who is bilingual in English and Spanish would think in if they were living in a country where neither language was spoken at all. For example, some remote Asian or African place. Would they revert to the one they first learned as a child? What if one parent spoke English and one spoke Spanish so they learned them at the same time and were equally proficient in both?

THE PROFIT
    THE PROFIT's Avatar Become A Pro!

I assume the language you speak most fluently or were born hearing

As far as deaf people they still read in a language, whether they hear it or not

The blind dreams is an interesting one. Who knows someone born blind??? That would be a great thing to ask them & get back to us

shari91

Answer from somebody who has been blind since she was fairly young:

"Yes, blind people do dream. What they see in their dreams depends on how much they could ever see. If someone has been totally blind since birth, they only have auditory dreams. If someone such as I, has had a measure of sight, then that person dreams with that measure of sight. I still dream as though I can see, colors included. For people I've met since, their faces are just blurs or how I imagine they look. To me, someone like my mother looks forever 30. "

Another answer:

Yes, blind people do have dreams. However, those blind since birth or very early childhood have no visual imagery in their dreams. Instead, they experience a very high percentage of taste, smell, and touch sensations in their dreams.

The breakdown is as follows:

There are no visual images in the dreams of those born without any ability to experience visual imagery in waking life.

Individuals who become blind before the age of five seldom experience visual imagery in their dreams.

Those who become sightless between the ages of five and seven may or may not retain some visual imagery.

Most people who lost their vision after age seven continue to experience at least some visual imagery, although its frequency and clarity often fade with time.

ttwarrior1

if anyone read my blogs, my sister was born blind and yes she does dream. I don't think nightmares though. Usually about music.

ttwarrior1

Yes, blind people do have dreams. However, those blind since birth or very early childhood have no visual imagery in their dreams. Instead, they experience a very high percentage of taste, smell, and touch sensations in their dreams.

The breakdown is as follows:

There are no visual images in the dreams of those born without any ability to experience visual imagery in waking life.

Individuals who become blind before the age of five seldom experience visual imagery in their dreams.

Those who become sightless between the ages of five and seven may or may not retain some visual imagery.

Most people who lost their vision after age seven continue to experience at least some visual imagery, although its frequency and clarity often fade with time.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush

ttwarrior, may God bless your sister.

Watching intellectual documentary on netflix about life/death. Quite interesting. Did not know that during open heart surgery one does not have a pulse at all or lung function. There is no blood in the body either. Strange to think about.

ttwarrior1

shari u copy and paster

shari91

if anyone read my blogs, my sister was born blind and yes she does dream. I don't think nightmares though. Usually about music.
    The next time you get the chance, can you please ask her if she ever dreams of conversations, either real or imagined, with other people? Feel free to PM me the answer if you don't feel like sharing it on here. I'm just wondering because if she does dream of them then she may have nightmares as well. And the idea of dreaming about music would be absolutely lovely. I honestly can't remember a dream where music played a big part but I guess it goes back to what those quotes I posted said - people born blind dream with a higher level of the other sensations. Amazing!

shari91

shari u copy and paster
    Well they obv weren't my quotes!

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    ttwarrior, may God bless your sister.

Watching intellectual documentary on netflix about life/death. Quite interesting. Did not know that during open heart surgery one does not have a pulse at all or lung function. There is no blood in the body either. Strange to think about.
    Other than no blood in the body, don't they basically 'kill' you when you go under general anesthesia? When I had to have that little surgery a couple of months ago one of the nurses was explaining that they basically shut down your heart and lungs and regulate your functions via machine. Not sure why she told me that because it's not like that info was going to calm me down.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    Well they obv weren't my quotes! Other than no blood in the body, don't they basically 'kill' you when you go under general anesthesia? When I had to have that little surgery a couple of months ago one of the nurses was explaining that they basically shut down your heart and lungs and regulate your functions via machine. Not sure why she told me that because it's not like that info was going to calm me down.
    Perhaps. It is scary to think about. My lady friends dad is an orthopedic surgeon. I'll have to ask him when I see him.

THE PROFIT
    THE PROFIT's Avatar Become A Pro!

yeah, they stop your heart & start it back. Just like a fukin oil pump in a car, no different

ttwarrior1

if you ever get a chance to go to a blind school, go check our there musicals

Indecent
    Indecent's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1156

I know reading isn't high on the list of things to do for most here, but really interesting article I read a few weeks ago that answers your question and then some... http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...f-people-think

Not Matt Rain
    Nope.
    Not Matt Rain's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Indecent View Post
    I know reading isn't high on the list of things to do for most here, but really interesting article I read a few weeks ago that answers your question and then some... http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...f-people-think
    Good read.

Sign language FTW

BookTaker
    BookTaker's Avatar Become A Pro!

sign language

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Didn't know you needed to know a language to think. I guess dogs can't think since they don't speak a language.

sickler
    Facade 101
    sickler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2983

Quote Originally Posted by samgurt View Post
    I would think their mother tongue or the language they use most often.

jkilla990
    jkilla990's Avatar Become A Pro!

I speak both english and greek (was raised learning both) and i think mostly in english because thats what i hear the most of during everyday life since i live in the US, but i dream in both because when i visit greece i only speak greek therefore any dreams associated with that i will be speaking greek.

gimme2dollars
    gimme2dollars's Avatar Become A Pro!

I had a Spanish cultural professor in college, and he told me that when he was in Spain that he actually thought in Spanish, even though he was an American raised in English.

scoobs
    scoobs's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is all very interesting.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by jkilla990 View Post
    I speak both english and greek (was raised learning both) and i think mostly in english because thats what i hear the most of during everyday life since i live in the US, but i dream in both because when i visit greece i only speak greek therefore any dreams associated with that i will be speaking greek.
    Wait what? You speak in your dreams?

leeloo
    leeloo's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Wait what? You speak in your dreams?
    Doesn't everyone speak in their dreams?

...interesting read

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 687

Quote Originally Posted by Indecent View Post
    very informative... crazy to think about a person actually gesturing in sign as they dream. that would be freaky to see.

jw
    jw's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6737

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Didn't know you needed to know a language to think. I guess dogs can't think since they don't speak a language.
    Tell that to my dogs who wag their tails when they sleep ... they are dreaming and thinking about something ... I guess they "understand" language ... at least.

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

Quote Originally Posted by zam77 View Post
    very informative... crazy to think about a person actually gesturing in sign as they dream. that would be freaky to see.

My girlfriend is deaf in one ear, her brother is stone deaf in both. My gf teaches sign language..I've seen 'em both sign in their sleep. Her brother will doze off on the couch after thanksgiving dinner and start signing. It is kinda crazy looking.

These latest generations of deaf kids she teaches are being taught a new form of sign called SEE (signing exact english), they seem much more...I dont know...much more "normal" than older deaf folks who use American sign language. Signing exact english gives them the same body language as us or something.

My gf's brother has very poor writing skills and a very odd sense of humor. He and other deaf people are also very, very blunt. He's better than me at picking NFL winners tho'. Dude gets laid too.

BookTaker
    BookTaker's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by jw View Post
    Tell that to my dogs who wag their tails when they sleep ... they are dreaming and thinking about something ... I guess they "understand" language ... at least.

But dogs can hear and remember words they hear.

Indecent
    Indecent's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1156

Quote Originally Posted by zam77 View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it. Imagine my surprise when my crazy reading habits actually came in handy at SBR of all places.
    Last edited by Indecent; 01-02-11 at 03:07 PM.

HoldEmHook!!
    BAMA 70 Auburn 0
    HoldEmHook!!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

one of the best threads I have read in a long time

12 Last