bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1157

Fantasy Football Question About Bret Farve

Ok guys I have a question for you.

I have Brett Farve in a fantasy football league in which I can freeze him at round 13. The problem is that I need to turn in my "freezes" next week.

My question is you freeze him or not?

SBR Founder Join Date: 8/10/2005

louisvillekid
    slummin it
    louisvillekid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 103

i'd pick him up just for security, if you can have 3 QB's, but if only 2, i'd just try and get the best 2 you know are playing.

actually i don't know what a "freeze" is in your fantasy league , i've never heard of it in my 10-12 years of playing fantasy, or the leagues i've been in haven't offered it.

dwaechte
    dwaechte's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 168

I'm assuming you mean you can lock him in as your 13th round pick?

I dont think it's worth the risk personally. Chances are he does come back, but there's still a chance he doesn't. Even if he does, the most likely destinations at this point seem like Chicago and Minnesota, two teams where I doubt he'll rack up the numbers. Chicago has a horrible offense all around and Minny still doesn't have the receiving threats he'll need. You need to consider that atleast part of his success last year was found by playing in a system he was extremely comfortable in. The adjustment period on his new team might not be pretty.

I just don't see him being that much better than tother options at that point to justify tying yourself in like that at this stage. But, it does depend largely on the settings of your league as well.

Either way, wait til the last minute and see what the status is at that point.

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by dwaechte View Post
    I'm assuming you mean you can lock him in as your 13th round pick?

I dont think it's worth the risk personally. Chances are he does come back, but there's still a chance he doesn't. Even if he does, the most likely destinations at this point seem like Chicago and Minnesota, two teams where I doubt he'll rack up the numbers. Chicago has a horrible offense all around and Minny still doesn't have the receiving threats he'll need. You need to consider that atleast part of his success last year was found by playing in a system he was extremely comfortable in. The adjustment period on his new team might not be pretty.

I just don't see him being that much better than tother options at that point to justify tying yourself in like that at this stage. But, it does depend largely on the settings of your league as well.

Either way, wait til the last minute and see what the status is at that point.
    That is correct dwaechte. I would have him locked in at #13.

My main concern was where would he end up going as well as being in a start type roll. I was thinking Carolina would have to be in the running if he gets released. I feel he could put up some nice numbers down there.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5379

If Favre plays, he'll be starting. I'd pick him up. Sounds like he's back.

SBR Founder Join Date: 10/6/2005

bigboydan

Quote Originally Posted by slacker00 View Post
    If Favre plays, he'll be starting. I'd pick him up. Sounds like he's back.
    So you feel he would be a good freeze at 13 then?

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    So you feel he would be a good freeze at 13 then?

Yes. Absolutely!

I mean, it might depend on the structure of your league. How many teams? What is the points breakdown? How deep are the rosters? What is the roster structure by position? Etc... But, most fantasy leagues are heavily QB weighted, so I don't know how you can pass on a guy who can easily be a top 5 QB. I mean, what else are you getting in round 13?! If Favre stays retired, you can dump him on waivers and get someone off the scrap heap, right?

Also, how'd you get the right to freeze rights to Favre? I've never heard of this kind of rule. Is this a "legacy" league, where you may keep some players from a previous season?

bigboydan

It's a 12 team league sir. So needless to say you can see why I'm even considering it, because quality players are at a premium when after about the 8th round.

The one problem that does concern me is that Farve would have to learn a whole new system, which could be bad. I mean who's to say his numbers will be like they were last year, thats a big question mark that is hard to gauge.

slacker00

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    It's a 12 team league sir. So needless to say you can see why I'm even considering it, because quality players are at a premium when after about the 8th round.

The one problem that does concern me is that Farve would have to learn a whole new system, which could be bad. I mean who's to say his numbers will be like they were last year, thats a big question mark that is hard to gauge.
    I'd try to grab Favre. I don't see Farve leaving Green Bay.

Both sides will posture back & forth, but Favre will be starting week 1, unless he stays retired, which doesn't sound like that's happening.

bigboydan

I'd try to grab Favre. I don't see Farve leaving Green Bay.

Both sides will posture back & forth, but Favre will be starting week 1, unless he stays retired, which doesn't sound like that's happening.
    I'm not 100% convinced he'll be a Packer in 08/09 sir. I feel that Green Bay is going to release'um, even despite the what the Green Bay fans really want. They have been wanting Rogers to take over the QB position for how many years now, and here is the perfect opportunity for that to happen.

Marigold HD
    Marigold HD's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12

Personally...BBD, I'd wait a couple more days just to see what pans out......I can see something big happening soon. So bottom line, try to wait as long as possible to see what happens with him.

slacker00

BBD, did you ever land Favre? How did this turn out?

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6947

BBD, did you ever land Favre? How did this turn out?
    Turned out pretty good for whomever had Favre starting in their fantasy league last week. 6TD passes.