The Seer
    The Seer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7617

Quote Originally Posted by MartinBlank View Post
    Northwestern only scored 21 points on Iowa. And Indiana scored 13. Iowa's problems are also on offense. They couldn't move the ball on Indiana or Northwestern. I just don't think they are all that good. Iowa is one of those teams that tend to be overrated based on the previous year's record. If they manage 9 wins and have a few returning starters-----everyone thinks they are going to repeat the success. They don't get the depth of other big time programs.
    NW (21)scored more than Ohio State (20)vs Iowa. They prevent the big play but can't keep them from driving it down the field with short passes to the slots and working the edges. The point is that those are bad matchups for Iowa. They were double digit favs and lost one and barely won the other on a drop in the endzone by the Indiana receiver. Iowa never has played spread teams well. Looking at the games between NW in recent years is enough. Iowa had more talent but was in trouble when they got spread out on D.

Ochocinco85mvp
    Ochocinco85mvp's Avatar Become A Pro!

these offences and defenses are real similar. Almost identical on rushypg, recypg, and both defenses having the same stats. Staying away from this one

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Axis View Post
    When it seems to good to be true...it ususally is but I couldn't help but make a small play on Mizzou...
    This!

Doc

MartinBlank
    Going to be a good weekend
    MartinBlank's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by The Seer View Post
    NW (21)scored more than Ohio State (20)vs Iowa. They prevent the big play but can't keep them from driving it down the field with short passes to the slots and working the edges. The point is that those are bad matchups for Iowa. They were double digit favs and lost one and barely won the other on a drop in the endzone by the Indiana receiver. Iowa never has played spread teams well. Looking at the games between NW in recent years is enough. Iowa had more talent but was in trouble when they got spread out on D.
    Then you just shot your own theory down.

Ohio State is a spread team, and Iowa gave them fits. And it isn't exactly accurate to say Indiana moved the ball on Iowa---they just had a few yards over 300 for the game. More, they averaged less than 5 yard a pass attempt, and less than 4 yards a rushing attempt-----which is nearly 60% less than what is considered to be good offensively.

The numbers just don't support your idea that Indiana moved the ball effectively on Iowa. Up until the last drive, they had roughly 250 total yards for the game.

I hope Iowa gets rocked this game, but I don't buy into the idea that Northwestern or Indiana overwhelmed Iowa with better athletes.

Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

Then you just shot your own theory down.

Ohio State is a spread team, and Iowa gave them fits. And it isn't exactly accurate to say Indiana moved the ball on Iowa---they just had a few yards over 300 for the game. More, they averaged less than 5 yard a pass attempt, and less than 4 yards a rushing attempt-----which is nearly 60% less than what is considered to be good offensively.

The numbers just don't support your idea that Indiana moved the ball effectively on Iowa. Up until the last drive, they had roughly 250 total yards for the game.

I hope Iowa gets rocked this game, but I don't buy into the idea that Northwestern or Indiana overwhelmed Iowa with better athletes.
    Over the last 4-5 years NW and IND have given the Hawkeyes fits.............not because of better athletes, but the systems they operate on the offensive side of the ball.

Missouri is the correct play here..........

Again, Mizzou the better team to begin with in this spot before even taking into considerations the suspensions and mindset of the Hawkeye program at present.

Looking forward to the game, going to be a dandy of a game............great doubleheader action tonight with the VIKES/EAGLES followed by IOWA/MIZZOU

mike1814
    mike1814's Avatar Become A Pro!

Missouri had two bad quarters this year. A first quarter disaster agaisnt Nebraska in Lincoln and a forth quarter meltdown agaisnt Texas Tech in Lubbock.

The only reason to back Iowa is if you are banking on Mizzou falling flat on their face. Other than that, don't piss your money away on Iowa.

The Seer

Then you just shot your own theory down. Ohio State is a spread team, and Iowa gave them fits. And it isn't exactly accurate to say Indiana moved the ball on Iowa---they just had a few yards over 300 for the game. More, they averaged less than 5 yard a pass attempt, and less than 4 yards a rushing attempt-----which is nearly 60% less than what is considered to be good offensively. The numbers just don't support your idea that Indiana moved the ball effectively on Iowa. Up until the last drive, they had roughly 250 total yards for the game. I hope Iowa gets rocked this game, but I don't buy into the idea that Northwestern or Indiana overwhelmed Iowa with better athletes.
    My theory is fine. What I'm saying is on paper Iowa had the better athletes and should have easily beat NW and Indiana but that wasn't the case. Iowa has historically struggled vs spread teams. That is a fact. The Ohio State reference was to show that NW shouldn't have scored as much but they did as compared to a BCS bowl team like Ohio St. NW runs a true spread scheme. Ohio state employs spread concepts. There is a difference. NW does not employ a fullback.They don't even have 1 on the roster. Ohio State does employ a full back as in Zach Boren who is very effective. Indiana was pitiful but spreading out Iowa gave them a chance. I didn't say they had a ton of yds. I said they effectively used short passes and worked the edges. They had no business being in the game but damn near won. I'm taking MO either way.

references if you need em
    http://ohiostate.rivals.com/cdepthtext.asp?Team=OHIOST
    http://northwestern.rivals.com/cdepthtext.asp
    http://indiana.rivals.com/cdepthtext.asp

Mr Handicapable
    Mr Handicapable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 174

Over the last 4-5 years NW and IND have given the Hawkeyes fits.............not because of better athletes, but the systems they operate on the offensive side of the ball.

Iowa always has an abnormal amount of white boys too...which usually means smashmouth isn't a problem but foot speed covering the spread might be?

Fishhead

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Handicapable View Post

Iowa always has an abnormal amount of white boys too...which usually means smashmouth isn't a problem but foot speed covering the spread might be?

Iowa had the fastest linebacker in the NFL draft combine last season, PAN ANGERER(white), who is now starting for the INDY COLTS.

Anyone that follows Iowa football knows how SPREAD offenses give Iowa fits, FOR A VARIETY OF REASONS.

Last year, GEORGIA TECH played right into Iowa with the option attack, and the result was a relatively easy thrashing of GT by the Hawkeyes.

Herky
    Herky's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4589

Quote Originally Posted by mike1814 View Post
    Missouri had two bad quarters this year. A first quarter disaster agaisnt Nebraska in Lincoln and a forth quarter meltdown agaisnt Texas Tech in Lubbock.

The only reason to back Iowa is if you are banking on Mizzou falling flat on their face. Other than that, don't piss your money away on Iowa.
    And Iowa led every single game in the 4th quarter this year and was expected to be a top 5 team. What is your point?

Mr Handicapable

I'm a Colts fan...we have Dallas Clark & Bob Sanders (about 2 quarters/yr) from Iowa. Angerer is pretty quick so is Urlacher but they're exceptions to the rule! I hit on Arkansas State +21 in Iowa (2008 or 09?) because they ran the spread and they nearly won SU....24-21 I think?

MartinBlank
    Going to be a good weekend
    MartinBlank's Avatar Become A Pro!

My theory is fine. What I'm saying is on paper Iowa had the better athletes and should have easily beat NW and Indiana but that wasn't the case. Iowa has historically struggled vs spread teams. That is a fact. The Ohio State reference was to show that NW shouldn't have scored as much but they did as compared to a BCS bowl team like Ohio St. NW runs a true spread scheme. Ohio state employs spread concepts. There is a difference. NW does not employ a fullback.They don't even have 1 on the roster. Ohio State does employ a full back as in Zach Boren who is very effective. Indiana was pitiful but spreading out Iowa gave them a chance. I didn't say they had a ton of yds. I said they effectively used short passes and worked the edges. They had no business being in the game but damn near won. I'm taking MO either way.

references if you need em
    http://ohiostate.rivals.com/cdepthtext.asp?Team=OHIOST
    http://northwestern.rivals.com/cdepthtext.asp
    http://indiana.rivals.com/cdepthtext.asp
    Then which teams are you calling spread teams if Ohio State isn't one of them?

Northwestern?

Fine. You say historically Northwestern scores on Iowa.

This year they scored 21 points.

Last year they scored 17, and barely topped 250 yards of total offense.

In 2008, Northwestern scored a whopping 22 points on Iowa---with a total of 290 total yards.

I guess you are trying to argue the nuances of those yards----i.e, they came when Northwestern needed them, but again, the numbers don't add up. Northwestern never averaged more than 6.1 yards per pass against Iowa in any of the last three years, and that is a bad number for a spread team. Most spread teams put their ypa threshold grading at 8.2.

What other teams are you calling true spread teams besides Northwestern, because one thing is for certain. Northwestern hasn't moved the ball very effectively on Iowa for the last 3 years. Northwestern may have won, but it was their defense that shut down Iowa, holding the Hawkeyes to 10 points in 2009, 17 in 2008, and of course 17 this year as well.

Mr Handicapable

Bottom line...Big Ten just isn't very good yet....not that the Big 12 was great this year either but they're way deeper than the B10! Michigan State needed a fake FG to beat Notre Dame and they dominated the B10? Stanzi had a good year but he was int prone last year....Missouri's D is much improved and Gabbert is an NFL caliber talent! Anything I missed?

Fishhead

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Handicapable View Post
    Bottom line...Big Ten just isn't very good yet....not that the Big 12 was great this year either but they're way deeper than the B10! Michigan State needed a fake FG to beat Notre Dame and they dominated the B10? Stanzi had a good year but he was int prone last year....Missouri's D is much improved and Gabbert is an NFL caliber talent! Anything I missed?

I seriously beg to differ...........

mojomaker11
    mojomaker11's Avatar Become A Pro!

Big 10 is a bit overrated this year. I think Mizzou goes out and handles business. 6-9 point victory.

Mr Handicapable

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
    I seriously beg to differ...........
    I guess thats why they play the game! My biggest play is Baylor over Illinois (tomorrow) so we get some chances to find out? Texas makes the B12 look bad this year but I still think they're better than the B10!

The Seer

Then which teams are you calling spread teams if Ohio State isn't one of them? Northwestern? Fine. You say historically Northwestern scores on Iowa. This year they scored 21 points. Last year they scored 17, and barely topped 250 yards of total offense. In 2008, Northwestern scored a whopping 22 points on Iowa---with a total of 290 total yards. I guess you are trying to argue the nuances of those yards----i.e, they came when Northwestern needed them, but again, the numbers don't add up. Northwestern never averaged more than 6.1 yards per pass against Iowa in any of the last three years, and that is a bad number for a spread team. Most spread teams put their ypa threshold grading at 8.2. What other teams are you calling true spread teams besides Northwestern, because one thing is for certain. Northwestern hasn't moved the ball very effectively on Iowa for the last 3 years. Northwestern may have won, but it was their defense that shut down Iowa, holding the Hawkeyes to 10 points in 2009, 17 in 2008, and of course 17 this year as well.
    I agree NW defense did play well, no question, and that is much of the reason but on paper NW shouldn't have any success scoring. Iowa had one of the best defensive teams in the country. True "spread" teams do not incorporate a fullback, ever. They never line up in the I formation, not even on the goal line. Ohio State is not one of those teams. Playing vs a more condensed offense (teams with a fullback, TE, etc) is better for Iowa. They can keep more players in the box and don't get exposed as much with their lack of speed at linebacker. There is a huge gap between the talent of an Ohio St and that of a NW and Indiana but all played within a few pts in those games because of match ups. Minnesota is a spread team, we saw what happened. Consequently, Iowa gave Michigan St (who regularly incorporates a fullback & TE) their only loss. Michigan St had a great team. I'm not saying Iowa could never beat a spread team (they beat Penn State) but it puts them at a huge disadvantage. They just match up better with more conventional offenses. The scheme is the reason, not the personnel. It's the same reason my team played spread teams well this year but we got crushed by teams that lined up in the I and ran the ball down our throats. The worst beating Iowa could ever take would be to play Oregon with scheme and personnel advantages.
    Last edited by The Seer; 12-28-10 at 02:22 PM. Reason: spelling

jgray
    jgray's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

I agree NW defense did play well, no question, and that is much of the reason but on paper NW shouldn't have any success scoring. True "spread" teams do not incorporate a fullback, ever. They never line up in the I formation, not even on the goal line. Ohio State is not one of those teams. Playing vs a more condensed offense (teams with a fullback, TE, etc) is better for Iowa. They can keep more players in the box and don't get exposed as much with their lack of speed at linebacker. There is a huge gap between the talent of an Ohio St and that of a NW and Indiana but all played within a few pts in those games because of match ups. Minnesota is a spread team, we saw what happened. Consequently, Iowa gave Michigan St (who regularly incorporates a fullback & TE) their only loss. Michigan St had a great team. I'm not saying Iowa could never beat a spread team (they beat Penn State) but it puts them at a huge disadvantage. They just match up better with more conventional offenses. The scheme is the reason, not the personnel. It's the same reason my team played spread teams well this year but we got crushed by teams that lined up in the I and ran the ball down our throats. The worst beating Iowa could ever take would be to play Oregon with scheme and personnel advantages.
    Oh, the humanity!!!

clip1
    clip1's Avatar Become A Pro!

looks like everyone thinks Missouri going to win, take Iowa or stay away, i'm staying away

HoldEmHook!!
    BAMA 70 Auburn 0
    HoldEmHook!!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

I am also on Mizzo

kman27
    kman27's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
    More money flowing in on the Mizzou side in the past 24 hours or so..............

PINNYACLE

12/27 13:13 -127 / +115
    12/27 14:02 -128 / +116
    12/27 15:38 -130 / +118
    12/27 16:01 -131 / +119
    12/27 23:50 -136 / +123
    12/28 11:46 -138 / +125
    12/28 11:48 -142 / +129
    yet the spread still dropped from -3 to -2.5

notsosharp
    notsosharp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

I am huge mizzou fan but iowa wins this game. Mizzou never shows up for the big game.

Fishhead

Quote Originally Posted by notsosharp View Post
    I am huge mizzou fan but iowa wins this game. Mizzou never shows up for the big game.

This isn't a big game...............

EDDIE MONEY LINE
    Get duckets
    EDDIE MONEY LINE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3311

Missouri. Period

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Ferentz has shown he is the most over rated coach in the nation, most year after year.

Missouri is my top play of the bowl season thus far

Fishhead

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    Ferentz has shown he is the most over rated coach in the nation, most year after year.

FishFace5
    FishFace5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 815

Ferentz has shown he is the most over rated coach in the nation, most year after year. Missouri is my top play of the bowl season thus far
    serioulsy!?!? you have to post something like this after i already have money down?
    gross

gator101
    gator101's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2074

Iowa gets crushed tonight, watch out iowa backers, i am a huge hawkeye fan and i am on the other side, there moral is totally shot and with the suspensions it will show. gl either way you go

Fieldysnuts44
    @poker table near you
    Fieldysnuts44's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

Iowa wins easily here.Mizzou overated

Fishhead

Thread of the day!

Landscaper
    Banned
    Landscaper's Avatar Become A Pro!

Gotta take fishheads advice if anybody knows Iowa its him

aznjeff07
    aznjeff07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 710

dammit landers is on mizzou.......................

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

That makes me feel much better about being on Iowa, Brock Langers.

Fishhead

Brock Landers has won many games in his career.........RELAX.

Night-Tripper
    Fade Me!
    Night-Tripper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3326

I'm fukked...

First 12345 Last