compaqDikk
    compaqDikk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Quote Originally Posted by sweetjones55 View Post
    I haven't received a response.
    i personally received a phone call from jjgold saying 'we went with other candiates' CLICK

guess i'm out

IrishTim
    IrishTim's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 127

Quote Originally Posted by excel View Post
    I would rather work at burger king.
    At least you can eat all the leftovers.

Pokerjoe
    Pokerjoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 307

I'm thinking SBR might not understand that when you give a writer an assignment with a word count, you're sending a signal: this is hack work, fill some white space.

Editor: Go to my brother-in-law's hardware store grand opening.
    Writer: Ah, man.
    Editor: Give me 500 words.
    Writer: Let me cover the AVN convention later?
    Editor: Deal.

It's SBR's dime, and they can do what they want with it. But I'd say they're really stumbling out of the gate here. I personally have had to rescind my interest, and I'm disappointed to do so. I don't even want to read lame-ass game previews, much less write them.

SBR might not know what they don't know about managing writers, and they might not know what we, as consumers, are looking for. It isn't word-count game previews, which is what they've said, in email, that they want. It's insight. Not "Melo is out tonight" expanded with BS to fill out the word req, it's "Melo is out tonight and in the other N games he missed DEN did X, his sub did T, and by my calc's (methodology explained elsewhere) his value is Y on the sides, Z on the total."

Brevity: good.
    Verbosity: bad.
    Drivel: worse.

And a word count req is a verbosity call, a drivel prompt. It's for middle school English teachers giving homework.

But good luck with it. We should all keep an open mind. Who knows, maybe it could be the American Idol of handicapping.

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

let me know when you want a weekly golf blog, odds/preview/tourney matchups.

Nickelicious
    Nickelicious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 213

Quote Originally Posted by Pokerjoe View Post
    I'm thinking SBR might not understand that when you give a writer an assignment with a word count, you're sending a signal: this is hack work, fill some white space.

Editor: Go to my brother-in-law's hardware store grand opening.
    Writer: Ah, man.
    Editor: Give me 500 words.
    Writer: Let me cover the AVN convention later?
    Editor: Deal.

It's SBR's dime, and they can do what they want with it. But I'd say they're really stumbling out of the gate here. I personally have had to rescind my interest, and I'm disappointed to do so. I don't even want to read lame-ass game previews, much less write them.

SBR might not know what they don't know about managing writers, and they might not know what we, as consumers, are looking for. It isn't word-count game previews, which is what they've said, in email, that they want. It's insight. Not "Melo is out tonight" expanded with BS to fill out the word req, it's "Melo is out tonight and in the other N games he missed DEN did X, his sub did T, and by my calc's (methodology explained elsewhere) his value is Y on the sides, Z on the total."

Brevity: good.
    Verbosity: bad.
    Drivel: worse.

And a word count req is a verbosity call, a drivel prompt. It's for middle school English teachers giving homework.

But good luck with it. We should all keep an open mind. Who knows, maybe it could be the American Idol of handicapping.
    Word count limits are a necessary evil for most website writing. Bill Simmons just wrote a monster article about "The Fighter" on ESPN, and I had to admit I was losing interest towards the end. And he is a good writer who can sustain my interest throughout one of his books about sports. But most readers expect some degree of brevity when reading articles on the internet.

That goes for magazine articles and short story anthologies, too. There's a place for long-form writing, but it's not on SBRforum.

Pokerjoe
    Pokerjoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 307

Quote Originally Posted by Nickelicious View Post
    Word count limits are a necessary evil for most website writing. Bill Simmons just wrote a monster article about "The Fighter" on ESPN, and I had to admit I was losing interest towards the end. And he is a good writer who can sustain my interest throughout one of his books about sports. But most readers expect some degree of brevity when reading articles on the internet.

That goes for magazine articles and short story anthologies, too. There's a place for long-form writing, but it's not on SBRforum.
    It isn't long-form writing we need, it's short-form. I just read through some of the examples SBR is promoting. Free picks game previews? Are you kidding? Terrible stuff. Long-winded and squarish; lots of verbiage, zero insight. But it's SBR's site, so I'll STFU, LOL.

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

Sent an e-mail. You replied back asking for a written piece and I'll have that for you in the next thirty minutes. Thank you for your time. Cheers.

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

It isn't long-form writing we need, it's short-form. I just read through some of the examples SBR is promoting. Free picks game previews? Are you kidding? Terrible stuff. Long-winded and squarish; lots of verbiage, zero insight. But it's SBR's site, so I'll STFU, LOL.
    Thanks for taking the time to read the 1st post that detailed a position you clearly weren't interested in.

On another note, thanks to everyone who has provided the writing samples requested. There's some excellent stuff in the SBR Mailbox being evaluated.

Nickelicious
    Nickelicious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 213

That was exactly my point, Joe. SBR needs short-form writing. Members want short-form writing. Whatever you think of the quality of the Free Picks game previews, it certainly can't be called long-winded or long-form. The definition of long-form writing is probably dependent on the channel (or medium) that the writing takes place. Long-form writing for the Web might be considered any article that runs over 2,000 words (the column I mentioned above by Bill Simmons runs over 3,000 words). The Free Picks write-ups look to be about 500 to 700 words; definitely not long-form.

One of the aspects I don't like about some of the Free Picks previews now is the way the writers establish their bias so early in the article, and then do nothing but cite statistics or trends that support their bias. I don't need somebody to SELL me on their pick. I want an ANALYSIS of the competition, including how the teams' relative strengths and weaknesses match up to each other, what the motivational factors are for the game, key injury updates, and reasons why the line might be lower or higher than expected. There are hundreds of factors that might be analyzed from a handicapping perspective for any given game; I want to know which ones are going to have the most impact on the outcome.

There's a reason point spreads exist. They help even out the odds of choosing the winning team. Having 10-star, lockdown, easy money picks is nothing but fool's gold. Give me insights that other cappers are overlooking or underplaying, something that convinces me (right or wrong) that I have an edge on the oddsmakers. That might convince me to take the Bills +9 against the Patriots just as easily as the other way around.

And do it in 500 words or less.

Maxlock
    Maxlock's Avatar Become A Pro!

Where did you read some of the examples SBR is promoting?

36mafia
    36mafia's Avatar Become A Pro!

was thinking the same thing. great entertainment opportunity here

Lo$t
    BTC go brrrrrr
    Lo$t's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Reload
    Winning Aint Easy
    Reload's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14852

Quote Originally Posted by Lo$t View Post
    Who is this in disguise?

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9788

i got a response,they want my number and an example, i will do it this weekend, says till last day of year

chachi
    Lazy Git
    chachi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

Guess I wasn't considered good enough to warrant requesting a sample ... oh well, c'est la vie

Boner_18
    Update your status
    Boner_18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1031

I guess I'm going to submit my interest but for a limited section of sports handicapping...

GettingScrilla
    Warriors on the Under
    GettingScrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!

Check My sports book this week...hit 16/20ish and came up about 300 points in the process...That is all...For real I would like to know how much these guys are making. I used to work for a sneaker publications Sneakerfiles.com and Soleredemption.com as a "blogger" etc. We made 10 cents a post...some guys out here must make a killing if they are getting more than that I'd say 30-0k annually if you are full time and doing a lot of posting...

nli07
    nli07's Avatar Become A Pro!

I hope SBR takes a lot of writers, I think everyone could benefit if there are a lot of minds at work.

Submitted my application, got my fingers crossed.

blackbart
    blackbart's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20709

tout write ups are the biggest bunch of drivel in the world. endless stats quoted for effect, complete grasp of the obvious or worse total nonsense repeated over and over for mind numbing counter productivity. sometimes less is more especially when the author understands his subject. which most touts do not.

spargament
    KHABIB
    spargament's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 367

Quote Originally Posted by compaqDikk View Post
    i personally received a phone call from jjgold saying 'we went with other candiates' CLICK

guess i'm out
    So it wasn't Santa calling to make sure I wouldn't be awake!

mighty maron
    USA Bra over 2.5
    mighty maron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

Did not receive call. Good luck to those that did and have a merry christmas

Lo$t
    BTC go brrrrrr

Cwissy says FISHHEAD is sharp for a fish but not a cat.

Pauulzcappin
    Pauulzcappin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 568

Quote Originally Posted by mighty maron View Post
    Heard they would be calling back in January...

xkgb
    IN THREAD
    xkgb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23

geez, i better learn to write again quickly, lol

caracalla
    No Good Luck wishes please
    caracalla's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dozer View Post

No harm in trying! You don't have to be able to pick winners at 60%....
    Sorry, but I disagree.
    I prefer a 60% poster than a very good writer.
    Anyway, thank you

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by mighty maron View Post
    Calls will be made to the best applicants the 1st week of January, as mentioned in the e-mails.

sportsfanatic
    Update your status
    sportsfanatic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3908

Quote Originally Posted by caracalla View Post
    Sorry, but I disagree.
    I prefer a 60% poster than a very good writer.
    Anyway, thank you
    agree. they can write like shakespeare but if they keep picking 45% then what's the point. if they're a long term winning capper, then i'm a loyal reader even if they write like crap.

Lo$t
    BTC go brrrrrr

Cwissy says cats are sharper than fish.

Karayilan9
    FENER / TRABZON
    Karayilan9's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 105

Anybody know the details?

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

The details? Those who could write something of value are not in the market. Those who are in the market would write little of value. (This was known as soon as SBR refused to give a payment scale, while asking for high caliber handicappers...).
    Last edited by Dark Horse; 12-28-10 at 12:47 PM.

mighty maron
    USA Bra over 2.5
    mighty maron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 85

bump

Maxlock
    Maxlock's Avatar Become A Pro!

So this is the week prospective handicappers/writers will get a call?

noober
    noober's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5901

anyone received a call yet?

Austin103
    Austin103's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nope.

chachi
    Lazy Git
    chachi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

όχι