EDDIE MONEY LINE
    Get duckets
    EDDIE MONEY LINE's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3311

Has anyone ever defended themselves in a criminal trial before?

haha

Anyone have any good stories or advice?

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE MONEY LINE View Post
    haha

Anyone have any good stories or advice?

best advice....get a lawyer!

What level are you talking about...misdemeanor....felony...?

Best of luck to you....unless you actually did it of course

Landscaper
    Banned
    Landscaper's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sounds to me like u dont like your public defender

THE PROFIT
    THE PROFIT's Avatar Become A Pro!

get a fukin lawyer. I watched a lot of Matlock & Perry Mason as a kid, think I could do it myself, but the judge frowns upon it

tanner40
    tanner40's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8060

Wouldn't suggest it they will eat you alive

Emily_Haines
    Emily_Haines's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15307

The only thing going to court with a lawyer does, is let the judge know your to stupid to defend yourself.

tltaylor89
    FVn=S(1+c)n
    tltaylor89's Avatar Become A Pro!

Was on trail for murder got off because it was ruled self defense guy broke into my home and I blew his head and neck area into the yard they charged me with murder because I pumped 130 rounds into his ass.I had a $750 an hour lawyer got off on self defense .

Landscaper
    Banned
    Landscaper's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by tltaylor89 View Post
    Was on trail for murder got off because it was ruled self defense guy broke into my home and I blew his head and neck area into the yard they charged me with murder because I pumped 130 rounds into his ass.I had a $750 an hour lawyer got off on self defense .
    I remember reading bout that..

tltaylor89
    FVn=S(1+c)n
    tltaylor89's Avatar Become A Pro!

Police called it excessive.I don't see how guy had two glock 19s.

SamsNCharge99
    5x POTM. 2x Video maker of the year
    SamsNCharge99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6404

get a free lawyer, don't fukking pay for one unless it's a big deal case

Once you try and defend yourself, the judge also goes against you, or strongly advices you get a lawyer, plus it drags out the case another few weeks

EDDIE MONEY LINE
    Get duckets

I'm gonna watch my cousin vinny, maybe I will learn something

MEATHEAD
    MEATHEAD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Get the best lawyer you can afford. Hit and miss with public defenders. Altough I saw one get someone accused of murder aquitted.

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9776

your a murderer taylor

Gee
    Gee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2327

get a good lawyer if you actually care about the outcome. if its over something minor, you can have a crack yourself. courts are used to unrepresented punters representing themselves at that level.

again, if it is something you care about and will affect the rest of your life, pay for a good lawyer - what price do you put on your future? putting forward a good criminal defence is an art and something lawyers study for many years, then practice for years before they actually get good at it.

lawyers have specialized experience and skill that you simply don't and can't have if you haven't been through it.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

Quote Originally Posted by tltaylor89 View Post
    Police called it excessive.I don't see how guy had two glock 19s.
    Even I can see how 130 rounds is a bit excessive. What the hell were you carrying to have 130? That's almost half a load for standard infantryman on patrol in Iraq for godsake

Grind House
    Grind House's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3857

You're gonna lose just because you didn't pay.

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by SamsNCharge99 View Post
    Disagree. This is a "you pretty much get what you pay for" kinda deal...Pay for a "free lawyer", get a free lawyer. Pay for a good lawyer, get a good lawyer...Now, I do agree on what's the down side if you lose? If it's a $500 fine, cut the check and move the heck on down the road. If we're talking real jail time, pay for the lawyer. You'll be glad you did...especially if you're guilty and need a good mouth piece to get you off scott-free.

Once you try and defend yourself, the judge also goes against you, or strongly advices you get a lawyer, plus it drags out the case another few weeks
    Agree with this. I think most judges think if you're representing yourself, you're either stupid or arrogrant or both.

I have testified AGAINST a large number of people who were self-representing...and it NEVER, and I repeat NEVER went well for them.

Doc

Gee

Quote Originally Posted by Doc JS View Post
    Agree with this. I think most judges think if you're representing yourself, you're either stupid or arrogrant or both. I have testified AGAINST a large number of people who were self-representing...and it NEVER, and I repeat NEVER went well for them. Doc
    disagree. it really depends on the severity. plenty of people defend themselves and do OK on minor matters - minor assaults, disorderly behaviour etc.

many people can't afford lawyers for those type of charges and (at least where i am) the government doesnt give you a lawyer for anything you want to defend - only more serious matters.

forloveofthegame
    forloveofthegame's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 595

spoken from experience hear. i got off a felony with a public defender. my buddy had a good lawyer but couldnt get anything better. now just trying to get fvckin comm service done

arkie boy
    arkie boy's Avatar Become A Pro!

yes many times before. but they say a person who defends himself in court has a fool for an attorney.

forloveofthegame
    forloveofthegame's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 595

i just wanted to add unless your paying for a top notch lawyer and your case is big there is no point. all the average lawyer doesn't even do shit other than exchange a few emails with the DA to cut a deal and get done. No average lawyer and I repeat No average lawyer would advise you to go to trial even if you had a slam dunk case. to risky for them and from my experience they get a set amount price.

mmike032
    mmike032's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8274

depends on the charge, and if your looking at serving time. comes down to what your freedom is worth.
    many good lawyers have connects/old buddies in the system that can sway things in your favor or find some flaw in the DAs case.
    minor charges you'll more than likely get the same with or without a lawyer.. probation, etc..
    save the money for probations fees, and fines.

mmike032
    mmike032's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8274

Quote Originally Posted by forloveofthegame View Post
    i just wanted to add unless your paying for a top notch lawyer and your case is big there is no point. all the average lawyer doesn't even do shit other than exchange a few emails with the DA to cut a deal and get done. No average lawyer and I repeat No average lawyer would advise you to go to trial even if you had a slam dunk case. to risky for them and from my experience they get a set amount price.
    from my experience you can either pay a retainer fee , or pay a set amount until it goes to trial, then its a few more grand.
    these were from top notch local lawyers though...
    the 1st case got thrown out before trial, the 2nd is pending going to trial but he's on a retainer. lawyer has already found cause of illegal search and seizure in this case and he claims the DA will probally drop charges before trial date, and he's golfing buddies with the DA and judge...
    small town good ole boy system

sharpcat
    sharpcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

I am sure when the guys who defended themselves get out of jail they will be more than happy to share their experience with you.

robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Don't chance it guy. Get a lawyer.

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    disagree. it really depends on the severity. plenty of people defend themselves and do OK on minor matters - minor assaults, disorderly behaviour etc.
    agreed...I assumed, always dangerous I know, that we were talking about a situation more serious than just something minor. And if that's the case, I stand by my previous answer.

I was speaking from my own experience having testified in court against folks representing themselves multiple times, and in my own experience, it does not go well for them.

Doc
    Last edited by Doc JS; 12-06-10 at 08:59 PM.

Dark Horse
    Deus Ex Machina
    Dark Horse's Avatar Become A Pro!

Not in a criminal trial, but I have negotiated with an opposing lawyer outside the court room. I had been falsely accused, and when this lawyer saw my evidence (photos) that was pretty much the end of it.

ttrace35
    ttrace35's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1782

No, but I would have been better off. F-ckin legal aid. I seen him smoking a cig with the damn DA! WTF? I copped out.

tblues2005
    tblues2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7184

I would like to ask is it a felony or what?

EDDIE MONEY LINE
    Get duckets

ya it is, it's not good...more than likely getting an attorney, but I minored in law and justice and know how the system works...i'm gonna try and work out a plea, and if unsucessful hire a good lawyer. We'll see how it goes, I'm not too worried

raidersfan
    raidersfan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE MONEY LINE View Post
    ya it is, it's not good...more than likely getting an attorney, but I minored in law and justice and know how the system works...i'm gonna try and work out a plea, and if unsucessful hire a good lawyer. We'll see how it goes, I'm not too worried
    You should first see what the District Attorney is willing to offer you in order to settle the case. If you agree then enter a plea, if not, then I would first find out what the low, middle and high sentence terms are for the offense. That way you have an idea what you are looking at if you take it to the box and are found guilty. This will help you when you see an attorney, that way they know that you know what you are facing and that they they don't waste your time and money.

Gee

Quote Originally Posted by Doc JS View Post
    agreed...I assumed, always dangerous I know, that we were talking about a situation more serious than just something minor. And if that's the case, I stand by my previous answer. I was speaking from my own experience having testified in court against folks representing themselves multiple times, and in my own experience, it does not go well for them. Doc
    you're right. anything serious, you'd have to be mad to do it yourself. when did you testify... from the way you talk, presumably as a police officer?

Quote Originally Posted by ttrace35 View Post
    No, but I would have been better off. F-ckin legal aid. I seen him smoking a cig with the damn DA! WTF? I copped out.
    agreed that it is a bad look in front of a client, but the reality is most lawyers (be it prosecution or defence or whatever) went to uni in the same town together for many years. They are all just doing a job. Its no biggie that they have a smoke together.

Eddie: You need to get some legal advice about your situation, how to handle it, what your likely sentence is, prospects of defending it, what defences are available etc, Heres what you do - even if you don't want to pay a lawyer. Find a sole practitioner who is good and specializes in criminal law. see him for an hour. if you don't like the advice or can't afford him, then don't pay him. most sole practitioners don't have the resources to chase up 1hr worth of fees - its easier to just do another hour of work.

ClimbSomeRocks
    ClimbSomeRocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 259

Some poor advice in this thread, IMO the only useful stuff is about evaluating the severity of the alleged offense. People are saying not to get a public defender... First off I highly doubt you qualify for a public defender - pretty much have to have 0 income, there is also a fine print statement when filling out the form that you may have to pay for a certain portion of the public defender. IF you do qualify for a public defender, it's very hit or miss. I've heard of both outstanding public defenders (aka people who were guilty but shown innocent)

You say you minored in law and justice, do you mean criminal justice? If so that's on the wrong side of the table as what you're in for now.

biggest advice for you: Definitely request discovery. You need to call the prosecutor and request police reports and basically all information that the DA will be using against you It is your right to attain this information prior to trial. Now that you have this info, see if you can blow holes in the state's arguments.

Look up cross examination techniques. You can crucify a witness by asking the right questions. If it's an eye witness, make them uncredible. And remember above all else In the US, you are innocent until proven guilty It is the burden of the state to prove you are guilty beyond a resonable doubt

If you wish, PM me with details and I'll see what else I can help you with.

saints7011
    saints7011's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1898

I do it all the time...

prop
    prop's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2002

"Guilty even if proved innocent" is how it goes both with a free lawyer and going it on your own. Get a free lawyer that will get you the best deal. If you don't like deal fire him and get another free lawyer.

I have about 323 felonies on my record and never stole a dime or harmed anyone who didn't have it coming. Apparently in US gambling is illegal and when arrested they like to make it 20 or so felonies each time including made up stuff if you challenge the deal gets worse. I assume DAs must get a bonus or also have Cornell University degrees in statics where they learned how to go 98-2 despite rarely ever needing to book a win.

Get a good free lawyer to help you please guilty, trust me is best direction.

The only exception to this is if it is a sexual related crime. If it is, then time to go on run. If lawyer can get you off with probation or short time served, then plead guilty serve time or w/e then disappear afterward.

If I was a lawyer I'd bill you $750 now for this advice, tell you not to worry then day of trial say oops sorry you're going to jail.

12 Last