Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Can anyone here throw a Knuckleball?

I can't even come close.

ESPN showing famous knuckle ball pitchers, i.e. Niekro, wakefield, Hough..

How the fuk do you throw it without spin??

starfire
    starfire's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1130

I'm waiting for a Rubber Band pitch!

MartinBlank
    Going to be a good weekend
    MartinBlank's Avatar Become A Pro!

I can TRY to throw one....

The one our coach taught was taking the ball in your throwing hand.....using your index finger and your middle finger pulled up tight...----and then your thumb, ring finger and pinkie holding the ball in place---and then throwing it.

It will move, but I can't control it at all. Locating it is even more difficult.

Again, the best I can do is TRY and throw it.

Extra Innings
    Extra Innings's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 315

Sort of the same as MartinBlank...no control on this end.

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

you push the ball with your two fingers but it skill not to get it to spin

Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

Most knuckle balls are thrown with the fingertips, not the knuckles.

I have a knuckle curve I actually throw with my knuckles...........it usually knuckled right into the wheelhouse of the hitter.

My college pitching stats were 0-1 with an ERA of around 123.33........one outing.

The loss was to Northwestern

Pitched in semi-pro and didn't fare much better........2 outings with an ERA around 14.43

donkdown
    donkdown's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post

I have a knuckle curve I actually throw with my knuckles...........it usually knuckled right into the wheelhouse of the hitter.

My college pitching stats were 0-1 with an ERA of around 123.33........one outing.

Pitched in semi-pro and didn't fare much better........2 outings with an ERA around 14.43
    Anyone with kids out there. This is a great pitch to show them when they are young so they don't mess up there arm. If taught right can be more effective then a reg curve..

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post

iceminers26
    iceminers26's Avatar Become A Pro!

donkdown

excellent advice, the curve ball ruins a young arm if they're throwing too many at an early age.

I can't throw a knuckleball to save my life, use to throw a fork ball, but it wasn't that great either'; I guess I just flat out sucked as a pitcher.

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11893

you know what else is difficult about the knuckler: catching that shit, wicked movement if thrown properly.

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

knuckleball will give you arthritis. I remember throwing them in Jr. high and High school. My hands after throwing would feel like they had been in a vise. It could be because I was holding it wrong. But I could throw it without spin. But probably at 40mph haha.

MC PICKS
    Update your status
    MC PICKS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 265

I pitched for a decade and could never figure how to throw it effectively. This guy 2 years ahead of me in high school threw a nasty one and had been throwing it in little league since he was around 13.

Crash
    is not a pro
    Crash's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 138

i can obviously its not wakefield material but its not bad prob throw a solid one every 3rd pitch i use to joke around with it when we were in the outfield during BP

OmgUrMom
    OmgUrMom's Avatar Become A Pro!

could never throw one, couldn't throw a pitch other than a fastball, tkfully I threw my fastball hard enough to be a decent high school pitcher

username474
    username474's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

You have to be able to throw at least 60-70 mph to get it to dance. I threw mine with pointer and index finger dug into the ball and my thumb was very loose on the bottom. The trick is threw your arm angle and release point, which is probally very different then how you throw your fastball. Try throwing it almost side arm with a high release point.

ryanspeer2001
    Punta Cana '15
    ryanspeer2001's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25

Why is the knuckleball such a slow pitch?

BatemanPatrickl
    JayVegas420 Contest Winner
    BatemanPatrickl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 129

Could throw one but not very well. Played left field for 15 years. Was at 3rd base for awhile but said f that after trying to field a few line drives off aluminum bats. Also would overthrow first.

pitman
    Gmbln isthesureway 2getnothin frm sumthn
    pitman's Avatar Become A Pro!

nope, cant even notice a curve on my curveball attempts either.
    I bought a wiffle ball and can curve that shit tho.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

getting my Knuckleball in shape this spring, weather has been great! making a comeback!

Ez Money 77
    Ez Money 77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 91

I pitched in HS as well. I could throw a knuckle ball but I couldn't throw a good curve. I know this sounds strange. I was pretty decent but I did go to a small private school so not a lot of good competition.

FrozenMAN
    2020 Big Ten CHAMPS!
    FrozenMAN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4112

this fackin guy is back OMG!

PickWinnerAllDay
    I'd never gamble again for Taylor Swift
    PickWinnerAllDay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

I had a variation. Kind of was a knuckle curve, one finger up, was basically just a slower curve.

Gtawatson
    Gtawatson's Avatar Become A Pro!

I still don't understand how a ball with no spin on it can move up down and sideways..........just doesn't seem posible with the laws of gravity that it can work

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

Blackroc78
    Blackroc78's Avatar Become A Pro!

its fuckin hard to do

DOMINATER
    DOMINATER's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1180

I not only threw a knuckleball , I also threw a knucklecurve, a knuckle ball is not thrown like any regular motion, when throwing it you come from a 12 oclock motion pushing the ball and depending how you wanted it to move you went down putting pressure on your fourth finger then actually tailing outward to 9 oclock my first and fourth fingers and thumb layed against the ball, and 2 finger and 3 finger was knuckled. the key was wind blowing from homeplate to 2nd base. another key was push the ball somewhat like a little shotput never throwing hard. I also threw a knucklecurve the prettiest pitch in the game .your grip is the same except where you hold it in the threads, and the movement is 12 to 6 tailing into your right knee the ball is amazing it actually rolls very little and shimmys as it goes and breaks over 3 ft . I was an allstate pitcher my junior and senior year and second team all state my first year I averaged 2 strikeouts per inning all three years in high school.Sorry about bragging ,but the game was the love of my life,and Iam over 60 and really loved the game. wherever I go and meet people thats the first thing they ask, what happened, The marines and Vietnam happened.Another victim of why should only the poor guys go from the ghetto .etc. what a sap. Martin I would have never taken you for a baseball player especially a pitcher.P.s. When I was in 7th grade some guy was hitting me with pebbles I hit him twice in the head ,and before the game was over ,he was siiting on the bench and from the pitchers mound I hit him sitting on the bench, I bet he never threw pebbles again. true story. I never allowed anyone to fuk with me.Ialso played in college then got drafted yes drafted in college I was married with a son luck I guess.Drafted not in baseball in the service.

donkson
    donkson's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1797

tldr

CappinTerp
    CappinTerp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

I use to pitch back in the day but had trouble with the knuckler .....the big thing is to not "break" your wrist.!!

Living The Dream
    Looks like an Underdog Week 2!
    Living The Dream's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 761

I pitched in college and would use it as one of my changeups. I had a couple different changeup pitches. I had very little control of it so when I threw it I would pray it wouldn't hit the batter and the catcher would catch it. What's really crazy and I wish I had control of it was I was a sidearm pitcher. Maybe the control issue for me was also the reason you don't see sidearm knuckleball pitchers.

Living The Dream
    Looks like an Underdog Week 2!
    Living The Dream's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 761

There is very little wrist action. It's more of a push, which makes it a slow pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanspeer2001 View Post
    Why is the knuckleball such a slow pitch?

Jimmy Proffett
    Jimmy Proffett's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 954

I used to always mess around and try to throw them in practice. Thing was when I finally got one to not spin, the ball didn't dance around at all, just hung there right for the raking.

Dan Kelly
    Update your status
    Dan Kelly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 101

When I was a kid I could throw a knuckleball, but it only knuckled once in a while - usually just came in straight and flat with NO spin on it. But this came in very handy a couple of years ago when I was the coach of my kids 7-8 year olds team... at that age it is what is called coach-pitch. A lot of the kids on my team could clobber my knuckleball, a couple of the more knowledgable coaches said to me 'are you throwing a knuckleball?', and they even tried it after that. It just worked much better than trying to slow down your arm motion and throwing a 40 foot perfect strike - a lot of times the coach has to hit the bat for the kid to get a hit.

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

Brock, what was on your kitchen table for breakfast today before work? Does your Mom give you kiss on your forehead before she hands you your sack lunch in your brown paper bag?

zoo youk
    zoo youk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1197

RA Dickey throws about a 75-80mph knuckle ball. very rare. probably the only guy to throw it that hard.

sweep
    USA! USA! USA!
    sweep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2457

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    I can't even come close.

ESPN showing famous knuckle ball pitchers, i.e. Niekro, wakefield, Hough..

How the fuk do you throw it without spin??
    Maybe when Cougars guy bashes your fukkin fingers in with a hammer you'll be able to toss one....

12 Last