Scorpion
    Update your status
    Scorpion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15377

Goodell determines Pats broke league rules

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has determined that the New England Patriots violated league rules Sunday when they videotaped defensive signals by the New York Jets' coaches, league sources have told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

NFL security officials confiscated a camera and videotape from Patriots video assistant Matt Estrella on the New England sidelines when it was suspected he was recording the Jets' defensive signals. Sources say the visual evidence confirmed the suspicion.

Goodell is considering severe sanctions, including the possibility of docking the Patriots "multiple draft picks" because it is the competitive violation in the wake of a stern warning to all teams since he became commissioner, the sources said. The Patriots have been suspected in previous incidents.

The Patriots will be allowed an opportunity to present their case by Friday, sources said, most likely via the telephone.

The league also was reviewing a possible violation into the number of radio frequencies the Patriots were using during Sunday's game, sources said. The team did not have a satisfactory explanation when asked about possible irregularities in its communication setup during the game.

Goodell is expected to have a decision no later than Friday but that is not set in stone.

The league refused comment but did confirm Monday that they were reviewing a possible violation by the Patriots.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3014677

rugbybdyb
    rugbybdyb's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think that they should suspend the coach for a few games, that would send a message

Iwinyourmoney
    IWIN.........IN!
    Iwinyourmoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 733

they should dock a draft pick and call the game a LOSS

soli
    soli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22124

I would give them a loss being that it's their 2nd time getting caught for the same violation

crackerjack
    crackerjack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4099

And all lost bets on NYJ should be refunded.

Scorpion
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by soli View Post
    I would give them a loss being that it's their 2nd time getting caught for the same violation
    Actually its 4th or 5th time!

tblues2005
    tblues2005's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7184

I think they should rule this as a loss also since they got caught quite a few times here. Maybe that is what they did to win championships, it sure makes you think that now....

BatemanPatrickl
    JayVegas420 Contest Winner
    BatemanPatrickl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 129

Even if they were stealing calls, you still have to decipher them and that is not easy when there are bogus calls as well. I don't think the advantage was that big BUT Bellidick should get a 3 game suspension.

SBR Lou
    SBR Lou's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack View Post
    And all lost bets on NYJ should be refunded.
    Jets +6?

increasedodds
    increasedodds's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

How about not letting the other team steal your calls???

Sean

louisvillekid
    slummin it
    louisvillekid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3822

i still haven't heard how early in the game was this caught. i mean could it have really effected the game if it was caught in the first Q.

atakdog
    atakdog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

I agree that the punishment should be severe, given that it's a serious violation of the rules against stealing signals.

But my question: why should they have such a rule?

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Quote Originally Posted by rugbybdyb View Post
    I think that they should suspend the coach for a few games, that would send a message
    Belichick would just send in plays via texting or a cell phone, so I don't see any real punishment in that besides a little hit to his paycheck (maybe).

Give them $10 million less in salary cap the next two years or make them play all of their division games in 2008 on the road; that would send the message.

Jay Edgar
    Jay Edgar's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why doesn't the NFL allow one (1) player in the defensive huddle to have a radio-equipped helmet?

Wouldn't that end the problem?

When I first saw the lime-green dot on a QB's helmet last month, I thought: Oh, they're finally letting a linebacker have a radio, too, and the dots are to keep track of who the radio guy is.

I haven't seen anoyone else ask this rather simple question.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

I like the suspension as punishment...an unfair coaching advantage answered with a bigger coaching disadvantage and loss of pay.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Edgar View Post
    Why doesn't the NFL allow one (1) player in the defensive huddle to have a radio-equipped helmet?

Wouldn't that end the problem?
    The competition committee almost approved that this past offseason, but it fell two votes short from passing. After this, I you guarantee mlb will have radio-equipped helmets next season.

As far as punishment, there's noway Goodell docks them a loss. I wish he would but there's no chance in hell that happens. I see a substancial fine and loss of a mid-level draft pick being handed down as punishment.

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

Quote Originally Posted by Illusion View Post
    I see a substancial fine and loss of a mid-level draft pick being handed down as punishment.
    A fine isn't really a punishment. If the club can pay the fine, it's no punishment. If they can't pay the fine and increase ticket prices so that the fans pay, it's no problem either.

Willie Bee has the right idea - punish the team (whether through a salary cap, playing on the road or loss of draft picks as you said). That's the only logical punishment which will actually punish the franchise.

Scorpion
    Update your status

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dozer View Post
    I like the suspension as punishment...an unfair coaching advantage answered with a bigger coaching disadvantage and loss of pay.
    Bill, to me this is the same as punishing a kid for skipping school by suspending him from classes for three days. The Pats have already proven they'll use cameras to try and steal another team's signals; do you really think they wouldn't have Belichick deliver the plays through a phone link to the guys upstairs?

remmy358
    remmy358's Avatar Become A Pro!

750K fine and 1st round draft pick if (when) they make the playoffs

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Suspend Belichick. The fine(s) are all well and good, but none of these punishments affect the Patriots as a team THIS season. The cheating affects the 2007-08 season. The punishment should fit the crime. Suspend Belichick 4 games in 2007. Make one of those suspended games the next one against the Jets, that would be poetic justice.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

BUMP. I can't believe I'm bumping a spygate thread, but this one's a classic. It's worth a look.

Please note for the record how hard I'm coming down on Belichick in my post above. Most think I'm a Pats apologist on this issue.

rsnnh12
    rsnnh12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

Videotaping signals was never against the rules, so I never understood why this was an issue

Goodell even said that the tapes may have been obtained in a way that didn't violate league rules, which means taping/stealing signals was always accepted, although frowned upon