robmpink
    Update your status
    robmpink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

When I Am Down I Like To Read......

Cheaper model grill reviews. Some of them make me laugh. I will post a few.....

Clint of Atlantis, FL January 30, 2010

In 2005 we got one of the 4 burner grills, 3 in 1 out. The first one had a defect with the regulator, it ignited inside the cabinet below the actual grill burning the supply hose to the grill from the tank. Once that happened it behaved like a cutting torch. The fire melted the metal on the base. Luckily the grill was far enough from the house no to burn it down. Neighbors called the fire department to come and put it out. We took it back and HD gave us a new one of the same model.

Read more: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeo...#ixzz0he39CMRH

robmpink
    Update your status

My Wife bought me a Charmglow 720-0536 for my birthday in Febuary. First time i get it out September 9, I fired it up, within 10 SECONDS the cover plate on the main control panel is RED HOT,, this is a part that should not get so hot,if at all I suffered a serious burn on my hand. I have a Vermont castings grill which is 6 years old so i fired up old faithful and left it burning for an hour,, no significant change in temperatute to the control panel. Watch out for this, if there are children around they could suffer serious burn injuries.

Read more: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeo...#ixzz0he3jn03i

robmpink
    Update your status

The product is not worth the price, even if it is free; it falls apart; it does not work as it should; it is incapable of grilling a chicken breast, not to mention an entire Boston butt. I have used 7 tanks of propane and have never been able to cook and entire course using their grill. I have used my grill fewer than 15 times and I am sending it to the land fill. SO much for being green or having a product that works.

Read more: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeo...#ixzz0he43QFgs

robmpink
    Update your status

Now this is a pick me up......

Our Charmglow grill we purchased at Home Depot made by THE BRINKMANN CORPORATION.Incident that occurred with the Charmglow Gas grill on 8/08/09 with my husband. My husband's face was burned when the grill suddenly "blew up" during use.We have only used the grill 3 times and two of those times it has done something that is quite scary.My husband's eyelashes and eyebows were also burned off. This grill is well maintained and we had not even started cooking when flames shot about 5 ft in the air. I have attempted to speak with brinkmann and Home Depot but no one has returned my calls nor answered my concerns

Read more: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeo...#ixzz0he4EYmjn

robmpink
    Update your status

I bought a charmglow, gourmet series grill. About 3 weeks ago, I lit the grill ,went inside to get the food, heard a whoosing sound, came out and the front of the grill had flames blowing out the front, under pressure, which melted the knobs. I usuallt rent my home in the sumer, and if summers floks were here, I am sure they would have burned the place down. I am a retired fire fighter, I shut the gas off at the house tank and the fire went out.

Read more: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeo...#ixzz0he4g2u5q

robmpink
    Update your status

purchased a Charmaglow Gas Grill two years ago from Home Depot. It looked good, had two separate cooking areas, and stainless steel finish. That lasted about a month! I was cooking chicken ad all of the sudden the flames reached 3-4 feet and the temp about 800 degrees. So much for stainless steal it looked like crap. I thought that I had done something wrong. Now after owning this thing for two years I can tell you that it is the worst made grill I have ever seen. I have had to put out several serious fire hazards with it, the burners are crumbling, and the stainless steal is rusting??? I keep this thing in a covered area!! I have own a few other grills and this is the worst despite being the most expensive. It is extremely dangerous and the flame is hard to control.

Read more: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeo...#ixzz0he50VIEP

robmpink
    Update your status

I bought a 600 Charglow grill model 720=0396 from Home Depot that was stainless and very nice. It worked well for a few years, but the past few times I used it, there were flames coming from it which burnt my daughters arm, even though all the burners were on low. After I took the grill apart, I saw that all the burners were completely falling apart and rusted. The part for this are not cheap. I see that this is a reaccuring problem amongst other consumers. The grill still looks nice from the outside, but I spent money to have a grill that works, not makes a good lawn ornament.

Read more: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeo...#ixzz0he5FlcBn

robmpink
    Update your status

We bought a new and not cheap, over 350.00, Charm Glow gas grill in 2007 from Home Depot in the Quarry, Minneapolis, MN. The other night after lighting it for dinner, the ignition box caught fire and literally shot the knobs off the front of the grill. What a mess!!! The front of the grill is burned, the ignition box is melted, the knobs are melted, and there is no control over the burners any longer. That's a lot of money to spend on a grill that quite literally "Blew UP"

Read more: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeo...#ixzz0he5URe40

robmpink
    Update your status

I purchased a charmglow model 720-0230 gas grill in o4 and its just gone through its first tank of propane.When i replaced the tank i lit the grill and to my amazement the flames came out so high i lost my eyelashes.Upon shutting down i took out the grates and found that all 3 burners were completely rusted out.I thought i was buying a quality stainless product.DO NOT BUY A CHARMGLOW PRODUCT.I cannot beleive the cost to replace a suposedly quality product.Home depot or charmglow should be made accountable for these pieces of crap before someone gets seriously hurt.

Read more: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeo...#ixzz0he5kDjST

robmpink
    Update your status

I purchased a Charmglow, 720-0036-HD 05 grill June 2006. I paid 450.00. Just like the rest of you I didn't want to buy a cheap grill. My son almost lost his hair and face when the thing exploded as he tried to light it the last time. Yes the tubes have rotted to the point of disintegration. I found replacement burner tubes on line for 18.50 each but, after reading all the comments posted here, quite frankly it's not worth 55.50 plus tax to kill some one! Will never purchase a Charmglow product again. If a class action suit is in the works please keep me posted. I was going to take it to the junk man for scrap metal but I might hold on to it for evidence.

Read more: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeo...#ixzz0he5wOl3d

robmpink
    Update your status

I used the grill approximately 3-4 months. In July of '08 I was grilling hamburgers when the grill caught on fire. There were flames shooting out all directions on the grill including toward the propane tanks. I had a 2 year old with me, so had to get him out of harms way in case the propane tanks exploded. I reached under and had to turn off the propane. I got minor burns on my hands/arms. The grill was close to my house, and cracked on of my insulated windows. The lid on the grill is melted and mis-shapened, and the whole grill is now rusting. It has always been out of the weather stored on my carport. I have been unable to find replacement parts, and now am past my 1 year warranty.

Read more: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeo...#ixzz0he6Y3Rge

robmpink
    Update your status

Charmglow Stainsteel grill My wife purchased this grill at Home Depot 2 years ago. First couple of month it worked great, then the burners rusted and cracked my wife had the hair on her arms burned off while trying to light it, so I have been to Home Depot trying to get parts and they do not even carry them. They will not replace the grill because its been over 2years since she bought it.I tried calling the number from the warranty book and the number is not even in service.You would think that Home depot would back up the merchandise the sell, but the could care less. I will never buy a Charmglow again!

Read more: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeo...#ixzz0he6j5vbl

odusmykal
    odusmykal's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5944

Rob, i'm thinking of buying one of these just so i can file a law suit on the company.. This thing sounds like a real hazzard..

robmpink
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by odusmykal View Post
    Rob, i'm thinking of buying one of these just so i can file a law suit on the company.. This thing sounds like a real hazzard..
    I bought one at the Home Depot last year. I kid you not, when i was unloading it and trying to wheel it on my patio, one of the little wheels ripped off and the thing collapsed on my foot since it wasn't balanced anymore. I took the hunk back to Home Depot before using it.

odusmykal
    odusmykal's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5944

Lucky you.. A sore foot is nothing compared to a house fire.. I wonder how many have lost their homes because of this piece of crap?.

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

DOMINATER
    DOMINATER's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1180

Rob, never met a guy who liked to read reports on grills that are defective, but this does prove that there is a seat for every behind lol

robmpink
    Update your status

By Joseph S. Enoch
    ConsumerAffairs.com

May 23, 2008
    Backyard cook-outs have become a Memorial Day tradition in the U.S. but it's still a good idea to keep a fire extinguisher handy, especially if you're using a propane grill, as Maynard Outlaw of Kill Devil Hills, N.C., will tell you.

Outlaw was using a Charmglow grill manufactured by Brinkmann and sold at The Home Depot. It's similar to grills recalled in 2005 because they could spit flames and start fires. Outlaw's grill did just that, and nearly set his deck ablaze.

Photo of Outlaw's grill shows melted knobs

From the day he purchased the grill in June 2007, Outlaw thought something was wrong because it produced only a 3/4-inch flame on full heat and it took him “20 to 25 minutes to grill a steak at medium rare” compared to his old grill that would do it in eight minutes, he said.

So last week, Outlaw turned the grill on as high as possible and let the resulting feeble flame do its work on the steaks for him and his son.

“I went into the house to continue preparing dinner when I realized I left my iced tea on the porch,” Outlaw said. Not more than a minute had passed before he made this realization, he said.

Outlaw went to retrieve his iced tea and discovered his grill engulfed in flames. The heat was so intense he had trouble approaching the grill and by the time he did, he couldn't turn it off because the knobs had melted away.

His son drenched a rag in water and handed it to his father so he could turn off the gas at the source, the propane tank. With the quickly drying rag starting to catch fire in his hand, Outlaw shut off the flow of gas and instantly all the flames died – proving it was not a grease fire, he said.

The scorching heat charred the porch and even started to catch the carpet in the house on fire, Outlaw said. The only injuries were singed faces and arms and a blister on his son's foot from stamping out the flames on the carpet.

“Thank God I didn't go to the bathroom,” Outlaw said. “I was maybe a minute from having my house blown up.”

Read more: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...#ixzz0hjIjFBgR

robmpink
    Update your status

bump

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

spurginobili
    Llano Estacado
    spurginobili's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21885

Ha Ha! I'm glad you bumped this thread Rob.

I used to have Thane's Q-Grill and it's reviews were some of the funniest on Amazon.com.

Unfortunately they no longer sell it, but 2/3 of it's reviews dealt with explosions, blasts, smoke clouds, meltdowns, fire-extinguishers, burns and complete mayhem.

Last edited by spurginobili; 07-22-11 at 06:46 PM.
    Points Awarded:

robmpink gave spurginobili 5 SBR Point(s) for this post.

robmpink
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by spurginobili View Post
    Ha Ha! I'm glad you bumped this thread Rob.

I used to have Thane's Q-Grill and it's reviews were some of the funniest on Amazon.com.

Unfortunately they no longer sell it, but 2/3 of it's reviews dealt with explosions, blasts, smoke clouds, meltdowns, fire-extinguishers, burns and complete mayhem.

Thanks for reminding me about this. I haven't read them in awhile.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792