1. #1
    stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date: 01-17-11
    Posts: 60,881
    Betpoints: 29656

    Question for all you NHL Puck Heads out there?

    I love the game, I just don't have the time to follow it all.

    Question?
    Who's the sleeper team to keep an eye on that has a realistic chance of winning the Cup?

  2. #2
    DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-17-09
    Posts: 95,088
    Betpoints: 8855

    I hate the Oilers but they have, without any doubt whatsoever, the best player in the NHL and arguably a top 4 or 5 player who plays along side him in Draisaitl. Edmonton has underachieved in the playoffs for years.

    Offense was never an issue but they never had the goaltending. For several years the same story in net and a poor defense. The tried several goalies but no one helped them get over the hump. In the off season they signed Campbell from the Leafs but that didn't work out as planned. 25 million dollar contract and he let in a ton of goals. The good news is the rookie back-up Skinner. He has been outstanding the last month or so and is clearly their #1 goalie. If he can play like he has been lately in the playoffs, they could win it all.

    So Edmonton is my sleeper team but I can see how someone would argue calling them a sleeper team. There are 16 pretty good teams in the playoffs and anyone could win. Injuries will play a role. Look at Boston, their #1 is injured. But their back-up goalies is excellent. They clearly have the best one-two goaltending in the NHL.

    Boston vs Edmonton in the finals? Wouldn't surprise me.
    Points Awarded:

    slewfan gave DwightShrute 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.


  3. #3
    Headsterx
    Headsterx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-03-16
    Posts: 15,768
    Betpoints: 1897

    I think for the underdog, you will need great goaltending and Dallas goalie, Oettinger, is red hot right now. And with the West so closely packed, itís anyone game to win it. Boston won the President Cup and recent past winners have not been very successful in winning the Cup. So Western team might pull it off and I think Stars have been clicking at the right time with the right combo of offense and goaltending.
    Points Awarded:

    DwightShrute gave Headsterx 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

    ItsMeMrMattE gave Headsterx 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.


  4. #4
    goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-17-10
    Posts: 11,216
    Betpoints: 2114

    Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
    I hate the Oilers but they have, without any doubt whatsoever, the best player in the NHL and arguably a top 4 or 5 player who plays along side him in Draisaitl. Edmonton has underachieved in the playoffs for years.

    Offense was never an issue but they never had the goaltending. For several years the same story in net and a poor defense. The tried several goalies but no one helped them get over the hump. In the off season they signed Campbell from the Leafs but that didn't work out as planned. 25 million dollar contract and he let in a ton of goals. The good news is the rookie back-up Skinner. He has been outstanding the last month or so and is clearly their #1 goalie. If he can play like he has been lately in the playoffs, they could win it all.

    So Edmonton is my sleeper team but I can see how someone would argue calling them a sleeper team. There are 16 pretty good teams in the playoffs and anyone could win. Injuries will play a role. Look at Boston, their #1 is injured. But their back-up goalies is excellent. They clearly have the best one-two goaltending in the NHL.

    Boston vs Edmonton in the finals? Wouldn't surprise me.
    Got to beat the long curse of winning a cup as a canadian team. Itís one of those bets where if you take it and then they lose you feel like an idiot simply because canadian teams donít win the cup

  5. #5
    goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-17-10
    Posts: 11,216
    Betpoints: 2114

    Quote Originally Posted by Headsterx View Post
    I think for the underdog, you will need great goaltending and Dallas goalie, Oettinger, is red hot right now. And with the West so closely packed, itís anyone game to win it. Boston won the President Cup and recent past winners have not been very successful in winning the Cup. So Western team might pull it off and I think Stars have been clicking at the right time with the right combo of offense and goaltending.
    Otter is another level type goalie but his team around him I donít think has enough tools to win it all

  6. #6
    goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-17-10
    Posts: 11,216
    Betpoints: 2114

    I would say Avs repeat. Maybe devils as a dark horse. And if you want to get real crazy for value pens. Their biggest issue is their goalies, if they figure it out they have the talent

  7. #7
    DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-17-09
    Posts: 95,088
    Betpoints: 8855

    Quote Originally Posted by goduke View Post
    Got to beat the long curse of winning a cup as a canadian team. It’s one of those bets where if you take it and then they lose you feel like an idiot simply because canadian teams don’t win the cup
    haha I haven't thought about it as a curse or even heard it talked about in those terms. Is that what they are saying in the States? Its just geography anyways because most of the players are Canadian anyways.

    Quote Originally Posted by goduke View Post
    I would say Avs repeat. Maybe devils as a dark horse. And if you want to get real crazy for value pens. Their biggest issue is their goalies, if they figure it out they have the talent
    They have all the talent still and are playing well down the stretch which is huge. I wouldn't call them a sleeper. They lost their #1 goalie Kuemper from last season but didn't downgrade with Georgiev. He's been great at times. The only concern I have is the health of Makar lately. He's missed a lot of games. When he plays, he's lights out and the best defenseman in the league.
    Last edited by DwightShrute; 04-10-23 at 09:36 PM.

  8. #8
    lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-02-09
    Posts: 93,165
    Betpoints: 9144

    Value plays

    Carolina
    Stars

    I did like the kings but they have injuries.

    Rangers look good as well.

    Edmonton is getting respect from the books. I see they are favorites in Colorado tomorrow. I don't think you can win with that goaltending but they have everything else.

    Devils aren't ready.

    Tb is old.

    Tor if they can win a round vs tb might finally make a run.

    The East is a awfully tough grind.

  9. #9
    DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-17-09
    Posts: 95,088
    Betpoints: 8855

    Winnipeg might surprise. They started the season extremely well but looked average to bad around the 60 game mark where the unthinkable almost happened, missing the playoffs. If they get in, which is looking like a 95% chance they will, they have a great goalie and many skilled players.

    They could be the darkest of the horses heading into the playoffs.

  10. #10
    DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-17-09
    Posts: 95,088
    Betpoints: 8855

    Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Value plays

    Carolina
    Stars

    I did like the kings but they have injuries.

    Rangers look good as well.

    Edmonton is getting respect from the books. I see they are favorites in Colorado tomorrow. I don't think you can win with that goaltending but they have everything else.

    Devils aren't ready.

    Tb is old.

    Tor if they can win a round vs tb might finally make a run.

    The East is a awfully tough grind.
    Rangers have tons of talent and a top 5 goalie.

    As does Tampa and they seem to turn it up a notch come playoff time.

    Its a coin toss in round one in both conferences. Especially in the East.

  11. #11
    mr. leisure
    mr. leisure's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-29-08
    Posts: 17,497
    Betpoints: 33368

    Give me the Rangers / AVs in the finals .

  12. #12
    Headsterx
    Headsterx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-03-16
    Posts: 15,768
    Betpoints: 1897

    Quote Originally Posted by goduke View Post
    Got to beat the long curse of winning a cup as a canadian team. Itís one of those bets where if you take it and then they lose you feel like an idiot simply because canadian teams donít win the cup
    Oh yeah, the Canadian curse. Sorry Oilers, Leafs, and Jets but thanks for participating.

  13. #13
    k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-16-10
    Posts: 17,359
    Betpoints: 1035

    Oilers are just a power play team.
    Overrated trash.

    Good thing the West is garbage or else they wouldn't even make playoffs.

    Terrible odds on them now.

  14. #14
    dark star
    dark star's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-04-09
    Posts: 3,888
    Betpoints: 5412

    Just took Toronto to win East +650.I know they have to beat Boston but your getting 6.5-1.....solid team

  15. #15
    agendaman
    agendaman's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-01-11
    Posts: 3,616
    Betpoints: 15250

    well gomma try the toronto maple leafs again gents.no cup since 1967.p.s. what a year for absolutely the 2 best players in the nhl.connor mcdavid-64 goals and david pasternak-60 goals.

  16. #16
    k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-16-10
    Posts: 17,359
    Betpoints: 1035

    Quote Originally Posted by agendaman View Post
    well gomma try the toronto maple leafs again gents.no cup since 1967.p.s. what a year for absolutely the 2 best players in the nhl.connor mcdavid-64 goals and david pasternak-60 goals.
    That's because the NHL is a joke right now.

  17. #17
    slewfan
    slewfan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 10-01-15
    Posts: 13,613
    Betpoints: 8040

    I bet Edmonton to win the West. Maybe they’ve learned how to win. Best time of the year approaching for my money…

  18. #18
    DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-17-09
    Posts: 95,088
    Betpoints: 8855


  19. #19
    Kami40
    Dogs Win Everyday!!!
    Kami40's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 10-21-20
    Posts: 1,187
    Betpoints: 90914

  20. #20
    Headsterx
    Headsterx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-03-16
    Posts: 15,768
    Betpoints: 1897

    Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    That's because the NHL is a joke right now.
    Why is it a joke right now?

  21. #21
    k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-16-10
    Posts: 17,359
    Betpoints: 1035

    Quote Originally Posted by Headsterx View Post
    Why is it a joke right now?
    Because there's no hitting, no one is scared.
    After Covid the league can't be taken seriously.
    Just one big garbage power play fest.

    There's a reason why scoring is up so much with the same players.

    Bums scoring 40 goals when Mcdavid could not score 40 just a few years ago and no he never got better.

  22. #22
    Headsterx
    Headsterx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-03-16
    Posts: 15,768
    Betpoints: 1897

    Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    Because there's no hitting, no one is scared.
    After Covid the league can't be taken seriously.
    Just one big garbage power play fest.

    There's a reason why scoring is up so much with the same players.

    Bums scoring 40 goals when Mcdavid could not score 40 just a few years ago and no he never got better.
    Ah ok, thanks!

  23. #23
    blackbart
    blackbart's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-04-07
    Posts: 3,772
    Betpoints: 19549

    Give me the Rangers / Winny Peg in the finals .

    Good goalies

  24. #24
    Mike Huntertz
    Mike Huntertz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-19-09
    Posts: 11,132
    Betpoints: 23303

    I agree with Shrute(first time) hahaha
    Oil have #1 PP and best player in the world. It's all about goal tending as it always is.
    Points Awarded:

    DwightShrute gave Mike Huntertz 11 Betpoint(s) for this post.


  25. #25
    Headsterx
    Headsterx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-03-16
    Posts: 15,768
    Betpoints: 1897

    Welcome to the party Islanders! Penguins are eliminated.

  26. #26
    lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-02-09
    Posts: 93,165
    Betpoints: 9144

    Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    Because there's no hitting, no one is scared.
    After Covid the league can't be taken seriously.
    Just one big garbage power play fest.

    There's a reason why scoring is up so much with the same players.

    Bums scoring 40 goals when Mcdavid could not score 40 just a few years ago and no he never got better.
    You enjoyed watching the trap devil teams of the 90,s and early 2000,s?

  27. #27
    Mike Huntertz
    Mike Huntertz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-19-09
    Posts: 11,132
    Betpoints: 23303

    Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    Because there's no hitting, no one is scared.
    After Covid the league can't be taken seriously.
    Just one big garbage power play fest.

    There's a reason why scoring is up so much with the same players.

    Bums scoring 40 goals when Mcdavid could not score 40 just a few years ago and no he never got better.
    It's hard to score when you're on the IR.
    McDavid "just a few years ago" missed 18 games one season and 26 the next. Yet scored 34 and 33 times.

  28. #28
    Headsterx
    Headsterx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-03-16
    Posts: 15,768
    Betpoints: 1897

    Got Dallas +1400 to win the Cup.

  29. #29
    DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-17-09
    Posts: 95,088
    Betpoints: 8855


  30. #30
    k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-16-10
    Posts: 17,359
    Betpoints: 1035

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Huntertz View Post
    It's hard to score when you're on the IR.
    McDavid "just a few years ago" missed 18 games one season and 26 the next. Yet scored 34 and 33 times.
    He played 3 straight years without injuries.
    Anything after covid don't count.

  31. #31
    k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-16-10
    Posts: 17,359
    Betpoints: 1035

    Without powerplays oilers are automatically out so better hope for cheap calls.

  32. #32
    k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 07-16-10
    Posts: 17,359
    Betpoints: 1035

    Every NHL playoff series line will be low.

    Florida vs Bruins is only +265

  33. #33
    Headsterx
    Headsterx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-03-16
    Posts: 15,768
    Betpoints: 1897

    Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    Every NHL playoff series line will be low.

    Florida vs Bruins is only +265
    At first Iím thinking thatís not low but then I saw NBA with Nets +600 and Hawks +650 and so thatís low. Thatís crazy that the best record in NHL is only -340 to win first round series. I guess itís indicative on the unpredictable NHL playoffs of the past.

    Iím taking Bruins as Panthers ainít winning anything in this series.

  34. #34
    Microphone
    The Voice of SBR
    Microphone's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-08-08
    Posts: 2,691
    Betpoints: 13304

    With Lakerboy, Carolina, Carolina, Carolina.

  35. #35
    Headsterx
    Headsterx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-03-16
    Posts: 15,768
    Betpoints: 1897

    Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
    See ya'all in the 2nd round!




123 Last
Top