Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Betting on WWE is coming. LOL

WWE in talks with state gambling regulators to legalize betting on scripted match results

WWE is in talks with state gambling regulators in Colorado and Michigan to legalize betting on high-profile matches, according to people familiar with the matter.

WWE is working with the accounting firm EY to secure scripted match results in hopes it will convince regulators there’s no chance of results leaking to the public, said the people, who asked not to be named because the discussions are private. Accounting firms PwC and EY, also known as Ernst & Young, have historically worked with award shows, including the Academy Awards and the Emmys, to keep results a secret.

Betting on the Academy Awards is already legal and available through some sports betting applications, including market leaders FanDuel and DraftKings
    , although most states don’t allow it. WWE executives have cited Oscars betting as a template to convince regulators gambling on scripted matches is safe, the people said.

Still, while Academy Awards voting results are known by a select few before they’re announced publicly, they aren’t scripted by writers. Even if regulators allow gambling, betting companies would have to decide if they’re willing to place odds on WWE matches even if it’s legalized. Those discussions have yet to occur at betting firms, according to people familiar with the matter.

A WWE spokesperson declined to comment. A spokesperson for EY couldn’t immediately be reached for comment. Gambling regulators in Michigan and Colorado didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Under lock and key
    If WWE succeeds in its bid to legalize gambling on matches, it could open the door for legalized betting on other guarded, secret scripted events, such as future character deaths in TV series.

Allowing gambling on certain WWE matches would alter how matches are produced – and how storylines are created. In discussions about how gambling on wrestling could work, WWE executives have proposed that scripted results of matches be locked in months ahead of time, according to people familiar with the matter. The wrestlers themselves wouldn’t know whether they were winning or losing until shortly before a match takes place, said the people.

For example, the WWE could lock the results of Wrestlemania’s main event months ahead of time, based on a scripted storyline that hinged to the winner of January’s Royal Rumble. Betting on the match could then take place between the end of the Royal Rumble and up to days or even hours before Wrestlemania, when the wrestlers and others in the show’s production would learn the results.

The introduction of legalized gambling could give WWE an increased appeal to a new set of fans while significantly altering creative storylines. Paul Levesque, whose wrestling name is Triple H, took over as head of WWE’s creative operations from Vince McMahon in July. McMahon stepped down as WWE chairman and CEO last year amid sexual misconduct allegations but returned to the WWE board in January as executive chairman to prepare the company for a sale process.

WWE is set to meet with potential buyers for the company next month in preparation for first-round bids, two of the people said. There’s no assurance a transaction will take place.

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

i remember when 5dimes had this. all you had to do was follow the money on a friday for the pay per view that weekend. granted by the time you would catch it the odds would be heavy heavy juiced.

if you tell me people will not be looking to make money on this with early action then i have a bridge to sell you. all it takes is a little tip and it will spread like wildfire.

hawkwind
    hawkwind's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22858

only jj would bet on this S-it MF Idiot

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19593

Quote Originally Posted by pologq View Post
    i remember when 5dimes had this. all you had to do was follow the money on a friday for the pay per view that weekend. granted by the time you would catch it the odds would be heavy heavy juiced.

if you tell me people will not be looking to make money on this with early action then i have a bridge to sell you. all it takes is a little tip and it will spread like wildfire.
    Those on the know could make serious money and screw the public with a good head fake.
    Points Awarded:

KVB gave DrunkHorseplayer 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

klemopixx
    Shit just got real.
    klemopixx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2395

This is as bad as putting your money in crypto.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

How can any legit book offer lines on a scripted event?

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    Wrestling guys who think they know what’s up.

Buddy of mine is already really excited to lose money on this.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by pologq View Post

I remember the biggest upset was when Undertaker finally lost at Wrestlemania. Undertaker was around -2200 maybe even higher?

As far as "information being leaked".... 100% agreed. There's no way it would be 100% sealed. Someone would blab here and there. Would be interesting if this ever gets legalized? This is a disaster waiting to happen.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11862

Need to steal the scrips right before the events. They are locked up somewhere I would guess?

Maybe pay off some of the broke wrestlers on the chopping block for inside information?

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    I remember the biggest upset was when Undertaker finally lost at Wrestlemania. Undertaker was around -2200 maybe even higher?

As far as "information being leaked".... 100% agreed. There's no way it would be 100% sealed. Someone would blab here and there. Would be interesting if this ever gets legalized? This is a disaster waiting to happen.
    As long as the limits are small, there probably won't be any issues.

johnnyvegas13
    johnnyvegas13's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 160

U can bet on the nba ???

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

insider trading if you know the script?

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32291

Vince has been in bed officially with DraftKings for a year now, unofficially longer than that.
    Go the WWE site if you want to read the fine print on the massive deal the two signed.

This news should not be shocking.

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post

the year brock beat him. i wonder what brock was price-wise.

OldBill
    OldBill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5246

way back at covers one user said he actually knew who was going to win each match somehow had the script and won huge cash offshore accounts this was in 90's

i believe it these matches are rigged to keep certain guys at top Never ever made any bets read horror stories about won bets not paid because winner was declared too late or some other BS off shore 5 dimes several times. Even after showing them video of winner announced they said NO

biggie12
    biggie12's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1276

As long as the limits are small, there probably won't be any issues.
    this will be the case 100%... $10 max very likely

Hugh Madbrough
    Hugh Madbrough's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 288

They take bets on simulations and e-sports, where you had some players rig the game.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyvegas13 View Post
    U can bet on the nba ???
    Last edited by Hugh Madbrough; 03-09-23 at 08:36 PM.
    Points Awarded:

johnnyvegas13 gave Hugh Madbrough 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32291

"If it moves, you can bet on it"

Mo "The Bartender"
    -The Simpsons

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

You can bet on WrestleMania matches at BetOnline

Enkhbat
    Enkhbat's Avatar SBR PRO