19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10214

Kareem (class) ---labron (classless)

KAREEM (CLASS) --- LABRON (CLASSLESS)

Is it education vs no education or simply a matter of character? Or both?
    ~~
    https://www.sportscasting.com/while-...ven-in-defeat/
    While Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Let Others Decide Greatness, LeBron James Explained Why He’s the Best — Even in Defeat

by Mike Thomas | More Articles: NBA
    Published on February 8, 2023

.-Tuesday night was LeBron James’ night. The Los Angeles Lakers forward became No. 1 in the record books, passing former Lakers great Kareem Abdul-Jabbar as the NBA’s all-time scoring leader. James soaked in the moment, one shared with his family in front of the home crowd.

.Kareem Abdul-Jabbar didn’t say a whole lot after setting his all-time scoring mark

Abdul-Jabbar set his mark in April 1984,passing the late, great Wilt Chamberlainand his 31,491 career points. When it was over, Abdul-Jabbar had a lot less to say after his big night than James did Tuesday.

LeBron James, right, hugs Kareem Abdul-Jabbar after becoming the all-time NBA scoring leader during the third quarter against the Oklahoma City Thunder at Crypto.com Arena on Tuesday, Feb. 7, 2023, in Los Angeles, CA. | Robert Gauthier/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images.

Abdul-Jabbar’s scoring mark lasted 38 years. He always said records are meant to be broken, and he was genuinely happy for James.

When Abdul-Jabbar set his mark on April 5, 1984, against the Utah Jazz in a game played in Las Vegas. His Lakers knocked off the Jazz, and he was happy to put the record behind him. According to The Associated Press, Abdul-Jabbar said he wanted to be remembered as a key part of a series of successful teams as opposed to a great individual player.

“That’s what this game is all about,” he said then. “You see exceptional players that couldn’t take their teams anywhere. I’ve always enjoyed doing well as a team.”

Abdul-Jabbar surpassed Chamberlain and was ready to move on to bigger and better things.

“It was a big burden off my shoulders and a big burden off the team’s shoulders,” he said. “Our goal is to win a world championship. We can focus on that now.”

.-Abdul-Jabbar was in attendance Tuesday night, happy for the man who pushed him to No. 2 in the books. For quite some time,Abdul-Jabbar said he was “excited”to see his record broken.
    “I’m excited to see it happen,” Abdul-Jabbar said during a one-on-one interview with Substack writer Marc Stein in September 2021. “I don’t see records as personal accomplishments but more as human achievements. If one person can do something that’s never been done, that means we all have a shot at doing it. It’s a source of hope and inspiration.”

James had a different reaction than Kareem after making history

.---

With 10.9 seconds left in the third quarter, James hit a fadeaway jumper for his record-breaking points. Kareem’s record of 38,387 points was gone. A celebration ensued. It continued into the locker room, even after the Lakers lost 133-130 to the Oklahoma City Thunder.
    No question, it was LeBron’s night. This has been building up all season, and the record finally broke. James hugged his family and soaked in the scene during a brief stoppage in play to celebrate the moment. Unlike Abdul-Jabbar, who wanted to move past his event, James was quite different.
    “Oh, that’s tough!” James said to his son Bronny, who showed him the record-setting shot on his phone, per ESPN. “You got that saved? Send that to me.”
    Of course, the GOAT topic came up, and James used it as an opportunity to make a case for himself as the best ever. He was simply asked if this record does anything for his case as the NBA’s GOAT.
    "If I was the GM or whatever the case may be of a franchise that was starting up and I had the No. 1 pick, I'd take me. That's just me because I believe in myself. I know what I bring to the table."

-LeBron James on the GOAT talk��pic.twitter.com/oBN8xL90PY

— ClutchPoints (@ClutchPointsApp) February 8, 2023

RELATEDLeBron James’ MVP Comments Show Just How Selfish He Really Is

“For me, I think it’s great barbershop talk,” James said. “It’s going to happen forever and ever. If I was the GM, or whatever the case may be, of a franchise I was starting up and I had the No. 1 pick, I would take me.”
    He could have stopped there, but he didn’t.
    “But that’s just me because I believe in myself, what I bring to the table, a guy that’s been able to transform his game over the course of 20 years, be able to play any position in this league, excel at any position,” he continued. “I can play 1 through 5. I’ve led the league in assists. I’ve been able to do whatever it is this game has wanted me to do and also transform my game as well.”
    He still wasn’t done.
    “Just being able to stay with the curve and changing my game if I needed to and improve my game. That don’t take away from nobody else,” he said. “So many great players that have played this game, that has lasting long legacies in this game, this NBA is a beautiful thing, and there’s some beautiful players that play it, but I can’t take nobody over me.”

Can you imagine Abdul-Jabbar, Larry Bird, or Michael Jordan campaigning for themselves as the best player in the world during their playing days? It never would’ve happened. They certainly wouldn’t have gone on a 181-word rant about how great they were — especially after a loss.

Last edited by 19th Hole; 02-09-23 at 02:12 AM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: hawkwind

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 145

Does anyone have the final investigation papers for his fake hate crime when he went to the finals and knew his team was going to get blown out of the water because he can't hit shit turned out? Did they catch the guy? I am guessing he was black probably 6 feet 10 inches tall, might go under other names like Lebitch James, not LeBron.

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10214

I believe he was identified as Labron Jussie Smollett.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24811

Kareem is on my Mount Rushmore of great athletes. Specifically, I'm talking about players that were so good that it's hard to even quantify.

Start w/ his UCLA days. As a freshman ineligible to play NCAA, his Frosh team beat the varsity team in a scrimmage when the varsity team was ranked #1 in the polls.

"Alcindor" played at UCLA before the Spencer Haywood rule came through. Effectively, it was ruled that a college athlete could not be required to stay in college when he rightfully could be earning money with his skill. Think about the years Alcindor dominated at UCLA...when he WOULD HAVE been a force in the NBA.

Kareem was so good that you could split his career into TWO Hall of Fame-worthy careers. His Lew Alcindor years constituted a HOF career, especially if you include his UCLA days. Alcindor's UCLA teams experienced only two losses:
    1) the game vs Houston, when Lew was hampered by a scratched cornea, and
    2) a low-scoring loss vs USC, when USC held the ball out without a shot-clock.

Of course, he was a monster as Kareem. The numbers speak for themselves. Great production and longevity.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68447

Can you imagine Abdul-Jabbar, Larry Bird, or Michael Jordan campaigning for themselves as the best player in the world during their playing days? It never would’ve happened. They certainly wouldn’t have gone on a 181-word rant about how great they were — especially after a loss.

I was lucky enough to have season tickets to the Wash. Bullets in the late 70's- early 80's . I saw all the greats of that time period play. Rarely missed a game. As for the players, no nights off, no self promotion, it was about winning as a team.

What is said by players in today's game would have been an embarrassment back then. Those guys would have said that winning takes care of all that stuff. I find the game today unwatchable. It makes me sick. I guess it is a generational thing.

Breaking the record was preplanned that he was going to break the record that night. That logic cost the team the win. Unthinkable back in the day. But today, all part of the game. Unbelievable.

bigtymer56
    bigtymer56's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8975

Maybe Kareem should talk more about how great he was. Dude gets left off some many top 3-5 player discussions its crazy.

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by bigtymer56 View Post
    Maybe Kareem should talk more about how great he was. Dude gets left off some many top 3-5 player discussions its crazy.
    He should NEVER be off any Top list.

He got the better of Wilt, too. But Wilt might have argued that he was past his prime.

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by str View Post

I was lucky enough to have season tickets to the Wash. Bullets in the late 70's- early 80's . I saw all the greats of that time period play. Rarely missed a game. As for the players, no nights off, no self promotion, it was about winning as a team.

What is said by players in today's game would have been an embarrassment back then. Those guys would have said that winning takes care of all that stuff. I find the game today unwatchable. It makes me sick. I guess it is a generational thing.

Breaking the record was preplanned that he was going to break the record that night. That logic cost the team the win. Unthinkable back in the day. But today, all part of the game. Unbelievable.
    str, from THAT ERA:

*Give me one name that you consider to be the most UNDER-RATED player.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11762

Kareem is a complete weirdo and Lebron is a racist.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: mama whoiscrying

trobin31
    trobin31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10289

Lebron James grew up in a single family home with his mother.

when a person with immeasurable talents lacks a stable male in their lives to model and feed the male ego, they must develop several traits of narcissisism in order to believe in themselves and their abilities.

kareem Abdul Jabaar, Michael Jordan, Shaquille O’Neil, pretty good examples of how having a significant male role model throughout the early phases of life can keep you grounded and humble even in success.

all this to say, this type of narcissism was required by James to be where he is now, he shouldn’t be trashed for it, try understanding more.

thezbar
    .lent
    thezbar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1628

The all time NBA scoring mark is quite an accomplishment. LeBron demonstates text book Capricorn traits of endurance, persistance and reliablity as an athlete. He's allowed to toot his own horn within this time frame.
    Moving forword the more emotionally intelligent path might include toning it down a shade and improving the grammer when speaking. JMTCW.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3768

I don't think it's a valid comparison.

Kareem took a grand total of 22 3-point shots in his entire NBA career.
    Lebron took 7,777 3-point shots.

Although Kareem still played more games (1797 to 1676), Lebron has taken 602 more shots.

If Kareem played in today's NBA, with softer rules, easier fouls, 3-pointers, and better medicine and equipment,
    he would likely be unreachable to Lebron.

I'm pulling these off basketball-reference.com

The 3-pointers alone. 7 thousand 7 hundred and 55 more Brons than Kareems.
    is insane !

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7600

Every great player has some sort of shot / move etc to be remembered by.

Jordan fadeaway
    Kobe similiar
    Kareem skyhook
    Duncan backboard
    Magic no look pass
    Gervin finger roll
    Hakeem shake

What's LeBrons? Missing a ft?

lakerboy

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    I don't think it's a valid comparison.

Kareem took a grand total of 22 3-point shots in his entire NBA career.
    Lebron took 7,777 3-point shots.

Although Kareem still played more games (1797 to 1676), Lebron has taken 602 more shots.

If Kareem played in today's NBA, with softer rules, easier fouls, 3-pointers, and better medicine and equipment,
    he would likely be unreachable to Lebron.

I'm pulling these off basketball-reference.com

The 3-pointers alone. 7 thousand 7 hundred and 55 more Brons than Kareems.
    is insane !
    Kareem played the first hf of his career when the 3 pt shot didn't even exist so that actually made it harder to get buckets because they played near the rim.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

If Kareem would have broke the record in the 3rd quarter, he probably stayed in the game and tried to help his team win the game.

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 32174

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post

Jordan fadeaway
    Kobe similiar
    Kareem skyhook
    Duncan backboard
    Magic no look pass
    Gervin finger roll
    Hakeem shake

No, that’s Shaq’s.

Lebron’s is flopping.

DiggityDaggityDo

DiggityDaggityDo

DiggityDaggityDo

asiagambler
    asiagambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30328

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post

Jordan fadeaway
    Kobe similiar
    Kareem skyhook
    Duncan backboard
    Magic no look pass
    Gervin finger roll
    Hakeem shake

asiagambler

To be fair, James has that great chasedown block on Iguodala

mama whoiscrying
    mama whoiscrying's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

he flops
    he cant keep his dumb ass out of politics
    he is not even close to MJ
    i'd like to see mike tyson beat his flopping ass then fukk him til he loved him

DiggityDaggityDo

Quote Originally Posted by mama whoiscrying View Post
    he flops
    he cant keep his dumb ass out of politics
    he is not even close to MJ
    i'd like to see mike tyson beat his flopping ass then fukk him til he loved him
    Mike Tyson would eat his children.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68447

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    str, from THAT ERA:

*Give me one name that you consider to be the most UNDER-RATED player.
    Chucky,

First things first. I absolutely loved you're contrarian thread for the NFL this year.

I almost responded a few times but did not. I will make it a point to contribute if you do it next year. Thank you for that !

Can't give you one but I will give you a few.

Let's start with being a homer. Lol.

The Big E , Elvin Hayes

Bobby D, Bobby Dandridge.

Now the rest in no order except the first one.

Pistol Pete Maravich. He did things with the basketball that nobody had ever done. Goggle him. WOW. Injury's cut his numbers and legacy short. And he died very young. One of the greatest of all time that nobody talks about. Thirty years before his time.

David Thompson. Absolutely incredible. Google him. Although I have not, I'm sure you will be impressed. I sure was when he came to the Cap center.

Dave Cowens. We always used to say when we were at the games that Jeff Ruland for the Bullets didn't start playing until he turned pink. Lol. That was all the slapping and hitting going on in the paint. And While Ruland was a great homer pick he was not as good as these guys. Cowens was incredible and yeah, he used to get pink. He had an attitude like he wanted to fight by the 2nd quarter every game. Even though he was the opponent, you had to love a guy like that.

Sidney Moncrieff. Never googled him either but he was sensational. What a great player few talk about. Wow.

Marques Johnson. I spoke about this guy in my horse racing thread I think. It is somewhere. What I said was I never saw a smoother player float and I mean float across the floor than he did. Like on a fast break where they threw it down to him about mid court. I swear, it was like his feet never hit the floor. Without question, the smoothest pure athlete I ever saw run the floor or run at all and that includes Secretariat. Lol.

Of course there are more like Adrian Dantley who went to Dematha High School who was our D.C. high school rival. But I'll stop there because I don't want to dilute the list.

Thanks Chucky ! Can't wait to find some dogs next football season.

All the best.
    Last edited by str; 02-09-23 at 06:12 PM.

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22119

God i remember the days the simpletons on this site used to cry all the time about Lebron being better than Jordan. He says one thing politically and the clowns with the partisan agenda cause they can't help themselves, are now hating Lebron LMFAO.

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19539

Everything LeBron said is true; it ain't braggin if you done it. Can anyone even imagine Kareem trying to play all five positions on the court?

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11762

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHorseplayer View Post
    Everything LeBron said is true; it ain't braggin if you done it. Can anyone even imagine Kareem trying to play all five positions on the court?
    Magic Johnson did and did it well...

juicername
    Thomorino - Fade and Get Paid
    juicername's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3972

Lebron tremendous.

Best ever.

THE TRUE GOAT.

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by str View Post
    Chucky,

First things first. I absolutely loved you're contrarian thread for the NFL this year.

I almost responded a few times but did not. I will make it a point to contribute if you do it next year. Thank you for that !

Can't give you one but I will give you a few.

Let's start with being a homer. Lol.

The Big E , Elvin Hayes

Now the rest in no order except the first one.

Pistol Pete Maravich. He did things with the basketball that nobody had ever done. Goggle him. WOW. Injury's cut his numbers and legacy short. And he died very young. One of the greatest of all time that nobody talks about. Thirty years before his time.

David Thompson. Absolutely incredible. Google him. Although I have not, I'm sure you will be impressed. I sure was when he came to the Cap center.

Dave Cowens. We always used to say when we were at the games that Jeff Ruland for the Bullets didn't start playing until he turned pink. Lol. That was all the slapping and hitting going on in the paint. And While Ruland was a great homer pick he was not as good as these guys. Cowens was incredible and yeah, he used to get pink. He had an attitude like he wanted to fight by the 2nd quarter every game. Even though he was the opponent, you had to love a guy like that.

Sidney Moncrieff. Never googled him either but he was sensational. What a great player few talk about. Wow.

Marques Johnson. I spoke about this guy in my horse racing thread I think. It is somewhere. What I said was I never saw a smoother player float and I mean float across the floor than he did. Like on a fast break where they threw it down to him about mid court. I swear, it was like his feet never hit the floor. Without question, the smoothest pure athlete I ever saw run the floor or run at all and that includes Secretariat. Lol.

Of course there are more like Adrian Dantley who went to Dematha High School who was our D.C. high school rival. But I'll stop there because I don't want to dilute the list.

Thanks Chucky ! Can't wait to find some dogs next football season.

All the best.
    I absolutely loved you're contrarian thread for the NFL this year.
    *Thank you, str. It was a lot of fun. The boys did great work, results speak for themselves.

Will be repeating it in some form in the fall 2023. Right now, thinking a change to a contest format.

The Big E , Elvin Hayes
    *I have a pretty nice collection of basketball cards. They're worth some $$ but the sentimental value might be more. I have a very nice 1969 Elvin Hayes rook. Dandridge rook came the next year in 1970. As a Buck fan, I'm thankful for his performance vs BALT in the finals.

str, that's an awesome list. You hit on my sweet-spot. Such great players:
    Pete Maravich: Such a great artist. The creativity sticks out to me. Passed too young.David Thompson. The Skywalker. That nickname was for a reason. Could jump out of the gym. I remember the play against UCLA. Walton got the ball on the low-block. I'm sure he was used to scoring from there every time. Tries to drop in a short-hook. David T jumps off a pogo-stick to reject him.
    Dave Cowens. A few things stick out to me about Cowens. 1) The sliding hustle play where he's diving to save the ball. 2) He is in the best beer commercial of all-time w/ Bob Lanier.

BOB LANIER: "Cmon, Dave. You won the championship and the MVP. Those are the two biggest feats in basketball."

...Lanier puts his size 21 feet up on the table.

DAVE COWENS: "No, Bob. THOSE are the biggest feets in basketball."
    Sidney Moncrief. "Sir Sid" was my guy. Look up the SI cover where Sid is rising up for the tomahawk dunk while at Arkansas. Want to hear a game that could have swung history? 1979 Western Region final. Tie game, 71-71, Indiana St vs Arkansas. IND St scores the late bucket to win the region. Could have been Sid vs Magic instead of Larry vs Magic.
    Marques Johnson. You are right. Marques Johnson was so smooth. Great fluidity, he could score 20 with ease.

Great stuff, str. Catch you later.

asiagambler

This is such an overblown cliche. The only reason they stuck James in the center position the last few seasons was because he was a complete defensive liability elsewhere. Think Dirk during the twilight of his career

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Quote Originally Posted by DiggityDaggityDo View Post

lakerboy

Why would Kareem need to do that? He dominated one position and no one could stop him. Now he was supposed to go and try something else where he would be stopped?

Nate rasta
    Update your status
    Nate rasta's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2782

I thought he was going to pull a Ricky Henderson "now I am the greatest of all time"

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by Nate rasta View Post
    I thought he was going to pull a Ricky Henderson "now I am the greatest of all time"
    Haha. That's what I was thinking.
    Points Awarded:

Nate rasta gave ChuckyTheGoat 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Covering the #
    Covering the #'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4191

Quote Originally Posted by Thor4140 View Post
    God i remember the days the simpletons on this site used to cry all the time about Lebron being better than Jordan. He says one thing politically and the clowns with the partisan agenda cause they can't help themselves, are now hating Lebron LMFAO.
    100% doubtful you can name any

12 Last