icon
    icon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6518

Have you ever seen an NFL -7.5 cover in OT ?

Must have happened at least once no?

asiagambler
    asiagambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30436

Before 2012 it was sudden death rules so it could never happen. -6.5 couldn't happen either

Since the rule change, it can happen but most teams after getting a turnover just go down to end the game. It would have to be a fumble in the end zone or close to it

It's happened a handful of times in college

TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3621

I remember a college game but forget the teams. First team scored a field goal then immediately gave up a pick six. A very rare occurrence at any level of play.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

I would say the chance of this happening in the nfl is almost impossible. Just not enough chances for the perfect ending.

asiagambler
    asiagambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30436

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoldenGoose View Post
    I remember a college game but forget the teams. First team scored a field goal then immediately gave up a pick six. A very rare occurrence at any level of play.
    It happened this year Kansas beat West Virginia by 13 in OT

Time before that I think was Syracuse beating Wake Forest by 9

semibluff
    Thanks for all the fish.
    semibluff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18983

The 2022 rule change means it could happen in the NFL playoffs as teams will now have to go for 2 or an XP. Prior to that it would have required a FG and a turnover for TD. I don't think that happened after the change from sudden death to a 1st possession FG didn't automatically win.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

This thread might only be 7 posts, but it’s already a good read.

agharah1
    agharah1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1191

You would have to have a team kick a fg on their opening drive, and then score a defensive TD. That second part is almost impossible because a professional football player would almost immediately slide or take a knee once they had possession of the ball. Also, it would have to be the team that kicked a fg on the opening possession so if you were on the side that didn't win the toss you would immediately lose.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21677

Quote Originally Posted by agharah1 View Post
    You would have to have a team kick a fg on their opening drive, and then score a defensive TD. That second part is almost impossible because a professional football player would almost immediately slide or take a knee once they had possession of the ball. Also, it would have to be the team that kicked a fg on the opening possession so if you were on the side that didn't win the toss you would immediately lose.
    Super unlikely, but could happen if the team down 3 gets sacked and has bad field position, maybe inside the 10, and then fumbles near the goal line or in the endzone or a pickoff very close to the endzone. Incredibly unlikely, but not impossible. It will probably happen eventually. Eventually meaning could be 10 or 20 or 30 years from now. Or next week. Ya never know.