ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

NFL week 07- Contrarian Angles

In the Week 06 thread, Red Zone asked a good question about the intention of this continuing thread. Here was my best response:

Originally Posted by TheRedZone

Was just trying to understand the thread. Can anyone post picks?

Yes, RedZone. Good question.

I'll start the thread for Week07 later tonite. The boys have been hitting well. I'd lay out the parameters as such:

1) Try to limit to one pick per week (although > one is ok).
    2) Totals are fair game.
    3) Quote a current price.
    4) List a reason WHY you are Fading a team...and why you LIKE the team you're backing.
    5) Goal of the thread is to identify sides which the public likes. If the public is too high on said side, then contrarian side should have line value.

That's how I'd describe it. In addition to fading a certain team, the side we're backing often feels like it's a tough bet to make.

ChuckyTheGoat

USCPhillyGuy starts it off w/ an early bird pick:

USCPHILLYGUY HORSES MODERATOR

SBR PRO Join Date: 12-15-12
    Betpoints: 16058

Message Me

If not getting this one done early.

Arizona -1.5 vs N. Orleans

ChuckyTheGoat

wk01: 5-2 ATS
    wk02: 10-0 ATS
    wk03: 10-1 ATS.
    wk04: 10-8 ATS
    wk05: 7-6 ATS
    wk06: 8-4 ATS
    YTD: 50-21 ATS (.704)
    Six straight winning weeks. Still north of 70% YTD...so Stu Feiner (70%) is looking up at us.
    Thanks, and Good Luck.

edawg
    edawg's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5030

Da Bears +7.5
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ChuckyTheGoat

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

thanks for clarification chuck. i thought this was moreso about underdogs that we feel have value as they should not be dogs and/or are getting too many points.

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by pologq View Post
    thanks for clarification chuck. i thought this was moreso about underdogs that we feel have value as they should not be dogs and/or are getting too many points.
    Ya, Polo. Maybe I didn't spell it out. But the 50-21 works, right?

The picks might be SLANTED toward Dogs that are catching too many points. But the idea is really any side where you feel the public influence is tilting the # too far.

Nate rasta
    Update your status
    Nate rasta's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2782

Give me the Washington commanders +5.5

I think Tyler Heineken is an upgrade from garbage Wents. Maybe people think Green Bay is going to have a rebound game but I think Washington can win this outright.

pologq

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckyTheGoat View Post
    Ya, Polo. Maybe I didn't spell it out. But the 50-21 works, right?

The picks might be SLANTED toward Dogs that are catching too many points. But the idea is really any side where you feel the public influence is tilting the # too far.
    100% agree. some really good stuff in this thread each week.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: TheRedZone

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by Nate rasta View Post
    Give me the Washington commanders +5.5

I think Tyler Heineken is an upgrade from garbage Wents. Maybe people think Green Bay is going to have a rebound game but I think Washington can win this outright.
    Thanks, Nate. And Good Luck.

ChuckyTheGoat

100% agree. some really good stuff in this thread each week.
    Ya, can't knock a winner. Hope to keep it rolling.

ChuckyTheGoat

Playing: 458 CINCINNATI Bengals -6.

(Fading: Atlanta). Falcons are 6-0 ATS. Bettors have become very comfortable backing ATL.

They've exceeded expectations behind Mariota. Bettors now view them as bullet-proof. In particular, I'd question the win last week vs the Niners.

28-14 win. But did they beat the Niner A-team?

Niners were without two of the best trench players in the league:
    *Off Tackle Trent Williams, who was rated #1 tackle last year.
    *Def End Nick Bosa, who recorded 6 sacks in first five games. Was on his way toward DEF POY.

Bengals' three losses have all come late on opponent field goals. Feel like they're pretty close. Feel like the gulf in class is > 6 points.

Points Awarded:

edawg gave ChuckyTheGoat 10 Betpoint(s) for this post.

agendaman
    agendaman's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14174

chucky please allow me 3 picks as i feel quite strongly re this trio.i will give reasons and lines are from bet-on-line.1st-49rs plus 3.latest report says both trent williams and david bosa will be back.49rs have a stout defense.bounce back for 9rs here.2nd-colts plus 2.5.m.ryan again plus pittman and j.taylor may play.3rd-detroit plus 7.5.i have never trusted dak prescott and never will.qb goff has his supporting cast back.wrs st.brown josh reynolds rb. jamal williams and t.e hockenson.love em all gents.i thank you and good luck.

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR
    USCPHILLYGUY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29335

Love the 9ers play as well
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ChuckyTheGoat

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by agendaman View Post
    chucky please allow me 3 picks as i feel quite strongly re this trio.i will give reasons and lines are from bet-on-line.1st-49rs plus 3.latest report says both trent williams and david bosa will be back.49rs have a stout defense.bounce back for 9rs here.2nd-colts plus 2.5.m.ryan again plus pittman and j.taylor may play.3rd-detroit plus 7.5.i have never trusted dak prescott and never will.qb goff has his supporting cast back.wrs st.brown josh reynolds rb. jamal williams and t.e hockenson.love em all gents.i thank you and good luck.
    Agenda, no problem. Just a few comments:

1) Yes. You are spot-on re: Niners. I was close to picking them on the exact info you posted. Shanahan was quoted as saying the injuries look "much better this week." I thought +3 would look good if EITHER Trent or Nick was back. If BOTH are back, +3 is great...and that # is gonna move.

2) You got it on the Colts +2.5. Right at that sticky # that I call 2.75. They have become finesse, return of Taylor would help.

3) Gonna hold off on recording your Lion pick for a few reasons:
    a) I heard Jones w/ the comment about Dak maybe playing this week. I'm not sure how much of that was just grabbing a headline. I haven't seen him upgraded to Probable on an injury rpt yet.
    b) The line has not budged yet. Surely, if Dak is cleared to play, this # is gonna bump up. I don't see a full +7.5 (-110) yet.

ChuckyTheGoat

Summary of Week07 picks:
    *Holding off on recording Agenda's 3rd pick, as I stated above:

304 ARIZ -1.5
    455 Indy +2.5
    458 CIN -6
    464 WASH +5.5
    470 SAN FRAN +3
    475 Chi +7.5

agendaman
    agendaman's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14174

chucky i just went back to sportsbk. bet-on-line.detroit stands at a full 7.5 pts.

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by agendaman View Post
    chucky i just went back to sportsbk. bet-on-line.detroit stands at a full 7.5 pts.
    If it's -119, that's too far off. Would have to use +7.

TheRedZone
    TheRedZone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 224

Is there a cutoff day for a posted pic?

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedZone View Post
    Is there a cutoff day for a posted pic?
    Not really, Red. Just whenever you're comfortable. No presssure.

In practice, good to give a little lead time. For NFL, we start to see practice Injury news released on Thur/FRI. We also see public sentiment around then, so I'd say that FRI is a good cutoff.

Another thing about NFL betting that is a truism. Player news leaks during the week, and market lines respond. #s harden up on Friday, people watch CollFB on SAT...and the SUN morning lines are usually tight as a drum.

ChuckyTheGoat

What do you make of the Russell Wilson's injury?

If Brett Rypien starts...is there a chance DENV goes off as Home Dog on Sunday?

TheRedZone

Not really, Red. Just whenever you're comfortable. No presssure.

In practice, good to give a little lead time. For NFL, we start to see practice Injury news released on Thur/FRI. We also see public sentiment around then, so I'd say that FRI is a good cutoff.

Another thing about NFL betting that is a truism. Player news leaks during the week, and market lines respond. #s harden up on Friday, people watch CollFB on SAT...and the SUN morning lines are usually tight as a drum.
    Ok thank you for the great info.
    Nomination(s):

TheRedZone

Any opinion on the LA Chargers. Seattle looks so far too be a big public play but catching almost a TD

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedZone View Post
    Any opinion on the LA Chargers. Seattle looks so far too be a big public play but catching almost a TD
    Red, the oddsmaker (on average) is so good nowadays. So many #s look like good two-way lines. And I'd say that's the case for that game:
    *SEA: have looked good w/ Geno playing better than anyone expected.
    *Charg: have the better roster. Dealt with injuries, still have some key guys out. Something lacking, they don't look dominant.

The books love these games where the bettor can easily make an argument for either side.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: TheRedZone, and jackpot269

pologq

i like the Jags -3. i think the giants are a good team but this is a bad spot. the jags will stop the run and force jones to pass which is not what the giants want to do. also pederson knows jones and the giants from when he coached the eagles.

ChuckyTheGoat

i like the Jags -3. i think the giants are a good team but this is a bad spot. the jags will stop the run and force jones to pass which is not what the giants want to do. also pederson knows jones and the giants from when he coached the eagles.
    Thanks for posting, Polo! I like it. I'd be very leery of backing the Giants this week.

Summary of Week07 picks:

304 ARIZ -1.5
    454 JAX -3
    455 Indy +2.5
    458 CIN -6
    464 WASH +5.5
    470 SAN FRAN +3
    475 Chi +7.5

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

This thread produces some pretty good results

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop
    StackinGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4514

Yes, sounds good. Mean reversion for a few hot weeks/spots for the NYG, now on the road.

CJ
    CJ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5812

Lions +7 looks good, too many points for a Detroit team that just spent their bye week getting healthy. Plus an extra week of hearing they suck after getting demolished at Foxboro.

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    Lions +7 looks good, too many points for a Detroit team that just spent their bye week getting healthy. Plus an extra week of hearing they suck after getting demolished at Foxboro.
    Thank you, CJ. I'm putting you down:

Summary of Week07 picks:

304 ARIZ -1.5
    451 Det +7
    454 JAX -3
    455 Indy +2.5
    458 CIN -6
    464 WASH +5.5
    470 SAN FRAN +3
    475 Chi +7.5

Stallion
    Update your status
    Stallion's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16678

Jax -3 is a big question mark for me. Jags, Indy and Washington have the best chance to upset.

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10251

Chucky, I just came across this thread and I think that this could be the reason why
    sports forums were meant to exist.

Thank you for initiating a worthwhile topic and inviting enthusiastic participation.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: TheRedZone, and edawg

ChuckyTheGoat

Quote Originally Posted by 19th Hole View Post
    Chucky, I just came across this thread and I think that this could be the reason why
    sports forums were meant to exist.

Thank you for initiating a worthwhile topic and inviting enthusiastic participation.
    Thank you, 19th!

Yes, I always liked shooting the bull on this forum. Trying to revive SBR forum.

Been getting good weekly input. And the results have been good so far, knock on wood.
    Points Awarded:

19th Hole gave ChuckyTheGoat 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

TheRedZone

Nice call on Arizona

TheRedZone

Red, the oddsmaker (on average) is so good nowadays. So many #s look like good two-way lines. And I'd say that's the case for that game:
    *SEA: have looked good w/ Geno playing better than anyone expected.
    *Charg: have the better roster. Dealt with injuries, still have some key guys out. Something lacking, they don't look dominant.

The books love these games where the bettor can easily make an argument for either side.
    I'm liking LAC more now that the line is down to 5

ChuckyTheGoat

USCPhillyGuy starts it off w/ an early bird pick:

USCPHILLYGUY HORSES MODERATOR

SBR PRO Join Date: 12-15-12
    Betpoints: 16058

Message Me

If not getting this one done early.

Arizona -1.5 vs N. Orleans

Nice hit, Philly.

Hey, guys. Did you see Philly give Dalton the c-note handshake on his way out of the stadium?
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: USCPHILLYGUY

123 Last