newguy
    [Too Long]
    newguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9978

Is this the end of NFL Thursday night?

Already getting lots of complaints about turn around from players. Now a guy who probably shouldn’t have been out there gets hurt on short week.

I think Tua gonna be poster boy for the end of TNF.

goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2264

Nothing to do with short week. He shouldnt have been playing in the first place. He had a concussion last week no matter what bs they say. This head bounce off the ground tonight and the effects of it are what comes from a head injury that absolutely had not recovered from last week

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

No chance in hell

BuckyOne
    BuckyOne's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19213

Good point. Just not enough recovery time. We've got bye weeks. It is time to get really smart and put teams together on the Thursday after a bye week. Thursday is just a money grab for tv money.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32319

Bezos didn't pay a gazillion dollars to air TNF games for no good reason.

TNF is not going away, period.

And Duke is correct, Tua should have benched, but the Miami medical people said 'all clear'
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Ghenghis Kahn

newguy
    [Too Long]
    newguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9978

Quote Originally Posted by goduke View Post
    Nothing to do with short week. He shouldnt have been playing in the first place. He had a concussion last week no matter what bs they say. This head bounce off the ground tonight and the effects of it are what comes from a head injury that absolutely had not recovered from last week
    Disagree with your first statement. 3 more days is literally almost double the recovery time. Head injuries need time to heal. That’s why there are waiting periods built into concussion protocol. I don’t believe that same hit 3 days from now does that same damage.

My point is bodies need time to recover and that hurt Tua and whole organization by him going down.

I’ve been wrong about a few things in my life so this wouldn’t be first but I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t get rid of or significantly alter TNF (like what Bucky said although I think argument there is it shortens the bye week and forces teams to have unusual weeks two weeks in a row)

goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2264

Quote Originally Posted by newguy View Post
    Disagree with your first statement. 3 more days is literally almost double the recovery time. Head injuries need time to heal. That’s why there are waiting periods built into concussion protocol. I don’t believe that same hit 3 days from now does that same damage.

My point is bodies need time to recover and that hurt Tua and whole organization by him going down.

I’ve been wrong about a few things in my life so this wouldn’t be first but I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t get rid of or significantly alter TNF (like what Bucky said although I think argument there is it shortens the bye week and forces teams to have unusual weeks two weeks in a row)
    i agree that the body needs to heal but 3 days from now if he plays hes getting the same result. If you get a concussion in football you should not be playing the next week no matter what bs they feed us to justify it.

Not one player is bigger than the money maker of the NFL. I can tell you this with certainity, it someone died on the field on a Thursday night game, they would still continue playing the following week. They will spin it any way they want.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 350

Sad for Tua

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11105

Quote Originally Posted by newguy View Post
    Already getting lots of complaints about turn around from players. Now a guy who probably shouldn’t have been out there gets hurt on short week.I think Tua gonna be poster boy for the end of TNF.
    Horrible football will be the end of TNF. Games seem to suck much more than Sundays.

Foxx
    Foxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11842

Should've made it a 18 week / 16 game / 2 bye season with every team playing one Thursday night game with one of the byes before that game.

stake1
    stake1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2438

two brain traumas in 4 days. Amazon paying billions for the next ten years, but what happened tonight could change things with the union

Enkhbat
    Enkhbat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26347

They should have given Tua a bye week, TNF isn't going away. They should have the TNF for teams that had bye week.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by stake1 View Post
    two brain traumas in 4 days. Amazon paying billions for the next ten years, but what happened tonight could change things with the union
    Nothing is going to change.

One thing is certain, all the talking heads later like Stephen A., Cowherd, all of them will weigh in later Friday with their opinions, but it won't change a thing.
    NFL is a big business, am I the only one who sees the irony in "You can't take on the NFL, it's the only organization in the world that owns a day of the week"?

-Concussion

asiagambler
    asiagambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30352

Quote Originally Posted by Enkhbat View Post
    They should have given Tua a bye week, TNF isn't going away. They should have the TNF for teams that had bye week.
    Still wouldn't have changed anything here since it's still too early for bye weeks

Enkhbat
    Enkhbat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26347

I know, but this one is on the Dolphins. They should have protected their franchise QB and sit him out until his head injury healed.

JayLA
    On to the next one...
    JayLA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1219

Should be but this is on the Dolphins

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Enkhbat View Post
    I know, but this one is on the Dolphins. They should have protected their franchise QB and sit him out until his head injury healed.

@Jay and Enk.
    Right on.
    As I stated earlier, the Dolphin medical people gave Tua the 'all clear' and the coaches said "OK then, Tua's a go"

The coaches could have said, "All clear or not, we are going to sit him a week and err on the side of caution"
    Teddy is not making beau coup money to hold a clipboard, a backup QB is an insurance policy, you pay insurance premiums for situations like this.

jrgum3
    Update your status
    jrgum3's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16000

I have never liked Thursday Night football because I think that the short week is incredibly difficult on the players especially after playing a grueling game just 4 days earlier on Sunday. That said I don't think it's going anywhere because there's too much money involved.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Tua is released from the hospital and is flying back with the Dolphins tonight?

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10238

Thursday Night Football is here to stay. PERIOD.
    All of the keyboard whining on SBR will not affect NFL scheduling.

It is necessary for the USA to get their NFL-mid-week-jones fix.

It's on Tua to pull himself if he values his marbles and playing career.
    If he doesn't value his mind and body then that's on him.

The government is burying our country from coast-to-coast so we may as well have games to match the decaying Romans.

I for one would like an NFL game every night.
    Bring on the wagers!!!

JayLA
    On to the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    Tua is released from the hospital and is flying back with the Dolphins tonight?
    This doesn't matter. The nfl is lashing back on concussions. They're trying to wash their hands. They'll make an example out of the Dolphins.

OldBill
    OldBill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5228

AND another rookie HC losses his 1st prime time game thats 3 now all lost s/u and ats 1st was Vikings at Eagles MNF poof 24-7

second was Giants - 2.5 points vs C BOYS MNF POOF 23-16 tonight anthoe rookie hc goes down 27-15

newton0038
    Update your status
    newton0038's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1935

How will all this effect the potential sale of the Dolphins?

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24845

Quote Originally Posted by jrgum3 View Post
    I have never liked Thursday Night football because I think that the short week is incredibly difficult on the players especially after playing a grueling game just 4 days earlier on Sunday. That said I don't think it's going anywhere because there's too much money involved.
    Yes, Mr Gum. The players have talked about this. They hate the Thurs games, makes for a bad product.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    @Jay and Enk.
    Right on.
    As I stated earlier, the Dolphin medical people gave Tua the 'all clear' and the coaches said "OK then, Tua's a go"
    The coaches could have said, "All clear or not, we are going to sit him a week and err on the side of caution"
    Teddy is not making beau coup money to hold a clipboard, a backup QB is an insurance policy, you pay insurance premiums for situations like this.
    Coaches cannot sit a player that is medically cleared. That's against NFL rules. If they are cleared to play, they won't be on the injury report. The big question the NFLPA asked was if Tua was ever properly in concussion protocol. This will certainly be investigated. Coaches coach. They are not medical professionals and cannot diagnose injuries. They rely on the medical staff to tell them who can go and who cannot.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by 19th Hole View Post
    It's on Tua to pull himself if he values his marbles and playing career.
    If he doesn't value his mind and body then that's on him.
    Players play. They do not pull themselves often. If they do, they end up losing their position. Most guys will try to hide a concussion until they can't walk/talk straight. This is their livelihood.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Quote Originally Posted by JayLA View Post
    This doesn't matter. The nfl is lashing back on concussions. They're trying to wash their hands. They'll make an example out of the Dolphins.
    You woudl think that after seeing that scary scene with Tua on the field that he would have at least been kept overnight for observations.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    You woudl think that after seeing that scary scene with Tua on the field that he would have at least been kept overnight for observations.
    Why? It's a concussion. There's really nothing more they can do. He will have to rest it off. I've seen guys projectile vomit and convulse on the ground like Regan in the Exorcist. The shit is scary. There is nothing you can do but take some Tylenol, sleep and avoid light for several days. The sooner he can get in his own bed the better.

Mac4Lyfe

He'll probably be out the next 3 weeks. Maybe he can come back for the Steelers SNF game? I'm thinking they will wait until week 8 at the Lions. Medical staff going to be scrutinized to all hell now. They're going to take extreme caution. What were the chances he would get ragged dolled and take that hit? Probably 100 to 1.

JayLA
    On to the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    He'll probably be out the next 3 weeks. Maybe he can come back for the Steelers SNF game? I'm thinking they will wait until week 8 at the Lions. Medical staff going to be scrutinized to all hell now. They're going to take extreme caution. What were the chances he would get ragged dolled and take that hit? Probably 100 to 1.
    I'll be honest here. Even if he comes back in 3 weeks and wins a couple of games. What the penetrate?? I feel for the kid. Can't handle the ground, go knit sweaters - dont play football .

jackpot269
    jackpot269's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8305

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    Coaches cannot sit a player that is medically cleared. That's against NFL rules. If they are cleared to play, they won't be on the injury report. The big question the NFLPA asked was if Tua was ever properly in concussion protocol. This will certainly be investigated. Coaches coach. They are not medical professionals and cannot diagnose injuries. They rely on the medical staff to tell them who can go and who cannot.
    Against the rules to sit a player that's medically cleared? They can sit you for any reason they are the boss! Lots of players get cleared and don't get to play it's not mandatory for any player to get playing time

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

The fact that you have to watch it on amazon is a joke when you pay all this money for cable tv already

No one wants to go onto their amazon app and watch a football game

So dumb

stake1
    stake1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2438

the scary part was the head hit was not nearly as impactful tonight. Last week the back of his skull took the blow. He clearly wasn’t healthy enough to be out there. The head coach of the fish? Saying he would “tap” out? That kid is in over his head

flyingillini
    flyingillini's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2187

Is his career done?

JayLA
    On to the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by flyingillini View Post
    Is his career done?
    likely not, illini...this is the US you know what time it is....hell be back in 6 weeks, probably get rattled again and itll be his fault for the rest of his life.

12 Last