Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Angel Hernandez being Angel Hernandez

I've never seen so many balls called strikes before. How does he still have a job????

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

And now this...

mikmik
    mikmik's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15907

It was terrible

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Philadelphia is a disgrace

They pay these guys a fortune and no one hits

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Angel's made his way Umpire Auditor already this year.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Umpire Angel Hernandez missed 16 calls on the night. Two of them were called balls that should&#39;ve been strikeouts.<br><br>The first to Orlando Arcia and the second to Cesar Hernandez.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/National?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etf w">#National</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Braves?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" >#Braves</a> <a href="https://t.co/WgE8Cr3S23">pic.twitter.com/WgE8Cr3S23</a></p>&mdash; Umpire Auditor (@UmpireAuditor) <a href="https://twitter.com/UmpireAuditor/status/1513786247650562048?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" >April 12, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

How about Jeff Nelson a week ago?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Umpire Jeff Nelson missed a shocking 27 calls today.<br><br>In the bottom of the 8th, he rang up <a href="https://twitter.com/yunitogurriel?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@yuni togurriel</a> on a pitch 2.63 in. outside, ejected manager Charlie Montoyo, and then rang up the next batter, <a href="https://twitter.com/mattchap6?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@mattchap 6</a>, on a pitch 4.55 in. outside.<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Jays?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw"># Jays</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Athletics?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Et fw">#Athletics</a> <a href="https://t.co/FjFZhTUWJB">pic.twitter.com/FjFZhTUWJB</a></p>&mdash; Umpire Auditor (@UmpireAuditor) <a href="https://twitter.com/UmpireAuditor/status/1515648000076312579?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" >April 17, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

The umps are ok to expand the zone a bit, speeds up the game and will force hitters to put balls in play.

Can't just have dudes sitting back looking to launch meatballs

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster
    kidcudi92's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    The umps are ok to expand the zone a bit, speeds up the game and will force hitters to put balls in play.

Can't just have dudes sitting back looking to launch meatballs
    Yeah. egregious, horrible calls are fine.........close calls I get but i mean dude

No wonder Lauer had 13k in 6innings and Nola had 9k in 7innings

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

MinnesotaFats

Quote Originally Posted by kidcudi92 View Post
    Yeah. egregious, horrible calls are fine.........close calls I get but i mean dude

No wonder Lauer had 13k in 6innings and Nola had 9k in 7innings
    The problem is MLB hitters are no longer MLB caliber batsmen of the past.

They are softball players looking for 1 pitch in 1 spot...it's why guys hit .225 45 hr 130 ko

Expanding the zone will force teams to field batters who can put the ball in play, shortening games, making the product watchable once more.

Sabermetrics, launch angle, etc killed baseball...the only remedy is the umpires unilateral control of the strike zone.

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster

They are softball players looking for 1 pitch in 1 spot...it's why guys hit .225 45 hr 130 ko

Expanding the zone will force teams to field batters who can put the ball in play, shortening games, making the product watchable once more.

Sabermetrics, launch angle, etc killed baseball...the only remedy is the umpires unilateral control of the strike zone.

MOST... who actually watch baseball and are die-hard fans... don't want "quick" games, a runner on 2nd for extra innings, a 3 batter min for pitchers, bigger bases

There is 0.0% chance for the MLB to "expand their viewer base" with all this bullshit without losing the fans who like true baseball, but they are gonna try and good luck to em

Mike Huntertz
    Mike Huntertz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22592

They are the best batsmen in the world! Expanding the strike zone makes them worse....and they are the best.
    It might shorten the game but all you'll see is 1-0 games like tonight, very few runners thus no fun.
    Umpires unilateral control, are you kidding me??? You must be on something to post this.
    You play all your life with a "strike zone" and you think an Ump can change the rules if he wants???
    Total insanity!

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Huntertz View Post
    They are the best batsmen in the world! Expanding the strike zone makes them worse....and they are the best.
    It might shorten the game but all you'll see is 1-0 games like tonight, very few runners thus no fun.
    Umpires unilateral control, are you kidding me??? You must be on something to post this.
    You play all your life with a "strike zone" and you think an Ump can change the rules if he wants???
    Total insanity!
    Don't mind Minny he is just thinking of the huge steroid days

MinnesotaFats

Don't mind Minny he is just thinking of the huge steroid days
    Not at all. Today's hitters are not as good as the hitters of the 70s- 90s.

Seriously, there are no more Boggs, Gywnn, Puckett, Ichiro, E Martinez types that can put the ball in play consistently in the middle of the lineup, let alone the bottom end of it.

What was once an art, building a lineup, advancing runners, using outs wisely, etc had been replaced by inserting 9 guys who hit 20+ Homer's a year and have no avg, obp, or fuelding ability.

To do that requires hitters striking out a ton because they cannot hit balls that aren't in their preferred zone

dustyy
    dustyy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6883

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehorseshoe View Post
    And now this...
    Hernandez sucks but it's hard to take that pitch with 2 strikes (Schwarber)
    Last edited by dustyy; 04-24-22 at 10:55 PM.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Did you guys see that Jeff Nelson clip?

Dude calls the bad strike, ejects the manger, then does it again on the next batter for another out.

Thats balls man.

Fawk. These umps anymore.

Fuk.

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster

Not at all. Today's hitters are not as good as the hitters of the 70s- 90s.

Seriously, there are no more Boggs, Gywnn, Puckett, Ichiro, E Martinez types that can put the ball in play consistently in the middle of the lineup, let alone the bottom end of it.

What was once an art, building a lineup, advancing runners, using outs wisely, etc had been replaced by inserting 9 guys who hit 20+ Homer's a year and have no avg, obp, or fuelding ability.

To do that requires hitters striking out a ton because they cannot hit balls that aren't in their preferred zone
    Nothing you say is valid after that comment lol have you watched the Rays play?

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

They need to bring umpires from overseas to challenge the locals. Most of them take their jobs for granted as there is no foreign competition. 50% of the players are not US born. How come 100% of the umpires are US born?

MinnesotaFats

Nothing you say is valid after that comment lol have you watched the Rays play?
    I'm speaking of the greater picture & trend of the league

Yes, there are teams that still construct lineups properly, advance runners, have infielders that play defense, etc

...my God, I literally watched Tim Anderson cist the ChiSox 2 games by himself this weekend. That would never work 40 years ago.

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster

I'm speaking of the greater picture & trend of the league

Yes, there are teams that still construct lineups properly, advance runners, have infielders that play defense, etc

...my God, I literally watched Tim Anderson cist the ChiSox 2 games by himself this weekend. That would never work 40 years ago.
    Fair enough Fats, It is fun as a Rays fan watching them play actual defense and save runs

I won't be a weirdo and lie though the Rays are a big K team...just how they are...they just fukking K a lot but they have overcome it to go to great places in the past

Art Vandelay
    Corona on St. Pats... WTF!
    Art Vandelay's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 57541

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehorseshoe View Post
    And now this...

Awesome meltdown! Schwarbs is now 0-11 with 8 Ks vs Hader...

Mike Huntertz
    Mike Huntertz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22592

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    They need to bring umpires from overseas to challenge the locals. Most of them take their jobs for granted as there is no foreign competition. 50% of the players are not US born. How come 100% of the umpires are US born?
    Good point. What about having Umps in their prime??
    Half of the Umpires are 55 or older, and two are 66 years old?
    I'm not sure about you guyz but my sight and reflexes were the best in my 20's and 30's.
    Why do players between 20-45yrs old, have a strike zone dictated by 50+ year olds?
    When ball players get older they lose "the ability to pick up the ball" when batting. Are Umps any differnet??
    I doubt it.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Awesome meltdown! Schwarbs is now 0-11 with 8 Ks vs Hader...

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster

n v m

USCPHILLYGUY
    HORSES MODERATOR
    USCPHILLYGUY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29335

You’re right Fatty. Gotta be so easy to to hit a 95 mph pitch. Tell us about the days when you were in the minors before being suspended for the tranny incident

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Oh shit Tranny incident in dugout?

Fatty????.

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20457

Dear MLB umpires:
    If the catcher moves his mitt into the strike zone after catching the pitch, it most likely was a ball. Not always, but the majority of the time. How do you not see that?

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

I'm not sure about you guyz but my sight and reflexes were the best in my 20's and 30's.
    Why do players between 20-45yrs old, have a strike zone dictated by 50+ year olds?
    When ball players get older they lose "the ability to pick up the ball" when batting. Are Umps any differnet??
    I doubt it.
    I don't know what are the MLB rules for umpires about age. They don't run so there is no age limit like the soccer refs that have to retire at 45 years old as they won't be able to catch up with the pace of the game.

Maybe they need to do cognitive tests and eye tests on the ones that are old. It could be medical reasons they can't see balls and strikes. The eye and brain get worse with age so maybe they either can't see the strike zone, or they can see it but the brain can't process what they are seeing and they just make a call as the rules say if they are not sure they have to make a call.

They can't ask for the pitch to be repeated and void the last one. I think this is the reason they have 4 balls and 3 strikes. So that the judgement call errors can be evened out on umprire mistakes. But if it's on a 3-2 count they can't fix the error unless they introduced machines or replays or challenges.
    Last edited by pavyracer; 04-25-22 at 12:36 PM.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Pavy don't try to think so hard, I can tell it hurts.

lol

No need for cogtnitive tests. Every pitch and every call is tracked and rated, real time.

You can see when an ump is falling off or outside the normal deviations for errors.

Umps make a lot of errors and as long as they remain on close pitches everything will go on as normal.

But the egregious calls will have an ump review, which means virtually nothing. Everything still goes on as normal....

Umps are given a TON of room to make errors.

When we start seeing low 80% error rate among a a league that has a higher median, there should be issues. But it's widely accepted that umps will "blow" a certain percentage of calls.

It's the Jeff Nelson shit above and overall Angel Hernandez types that really give bad looks.

But they continue to ump games, even big ones.

MinnesotaFats

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    Oh shit Tranny incident in dugout?

Fatty????.
    LOL no trannys in Minot

Hitting 95 is not that hard.

Hitting curves/ sliders isn't that hard either

What is difficult is Hitting change ups.

That being said, if your ump isn't giving you a corner piece or if the ump isn't giving you the lower portion of the zone, then a batter can simply sit on the fastball inner 1/3 of plate. And they do, that's why they have such low averages, low obp, low ball in play % etc....

The batters of today have zero plate protection, zero fukks to give about a ko, care less if they advance a runner, etc

MLB wants to speed up the game, make it more watchable....they got 2 choices.

1- soften up the ball

2- expand the strike zone

That's it.

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM
    KiDBaZkiT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1291

For the love of god I don’t understand why they don’t just use the technology that is already in the park and take away the “human element” They are now using “pitch com”just give the fat umps a little buzzer that tells them whether it was a ball or a strike. They can still sit back there and look out of shape and make the judgement of a safe or out call at home plate as they can review that. They don’t need to determine ball or strike though. It’s absurd.

Rich Boy
    Rich Boy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1106

MLB is too stubborn, too many old farts who dont like tech

MinnesotaFats

Quote Originally Posted by KiDBaZkiT View Post
    For the love of god I don’t understand why they don’t just use the technology that is already in the park and take away the “human element” They are now using “pitch com”just give the fat umps a little buzzer that tells them whether it was a ball or a strike. They can still sit back there and look out of shape and make the judgement of a safe or out call at home plate as they can review that. They don’t need to determine ball or strike though. It’s absurd.
    If they did that mlb would lose control of the game

You've already seen how stupid replay is.

They call guys safe for 2b double play toe drag (standard SS/ 2B style)...they miss hr calls, they miss tags yet still fukk up the replay

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

I doubt it.
    I agree. I'm in my 40s now and can tell my vision isn't what it used to be.
    I'm at 20/20, but when I was younger I had 20/12 vision.

If the umps can't see like they used to, then they shouldn't have the job.
    They should be tested every couple of years.

12 Last