1. #1
    Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-04-09
    Posts: 45,608
    Betpoints: 9581

    WTH Troy? Up 4 with 26 seconds you take a safety?

    Why not just punt the ball? They take a safety and now App State can beat you with a FG. WTF is wrong with these dumb ass coaches??
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/22/2022


  2. #2
    Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-04-09
    Posts: 45,608
    Betpoints: 9581

    Score is now 28-26. And they squib the safety punt. WTF am I watching???

    Now 13 seconds and App state could get in FG range. Maybe their kicker sucks??

    This is madness.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/22/2022


  3. #3
    Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-04-09
    Posts: 45,608
    Betpoints: 9581

    Coaching for dummies... Right here.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/22/2022


  4. #4
    Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-04-09
    Posts: 45,608
    Betpoints: 9581

    Hail Mary time for App State. It should not have been this close.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/22/2022


  5. #5
    Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-04-09
    Posts: 45,608
    Betpoints: 9581

    Troy got what they fukkking deserve. Hail Mary for the win.

    Troy coach should have to walk fukking home. What a dumb ass.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/22/2022


  6. #6
    Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-04-09
    Posts: 45,608
    Betpoints: 9581

    I had those fukkers +438 ML and the coach does the dumbest shit I've seen in a very long time.

    Talk about bad beat.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/22/2022


  7. #7
    Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-04-09
    Posts: 45,608
    Betpoints: 9581

    Mutherfukkker. How do you allow that shit to happen? How does the coach still have a job? what a clusterfukk.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/22/2022


  8. #8
    d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-10-05
    Posts: 37,317
    Betpoints: 6535

    Wow.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/26/2022


  9. #9
    Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-04-09
    Posts: 45,608
    Betpoints: 9581

    I am just as shocked as the Troy players. They must be highly pissed at their dumb coach. And no one will question his idiocy. Why would you take a safety? Punt the fukking ball you numbnuts. Pin them into their own field. Then you squib the safety punt? WHY? This is elementary school type shit. He gave App State qb the hail Mary shot from like the 40 yard line. He wouldn't even be able to throw it that far if you just coach like a normal fukkking coach. I just lost 5 bills because a coach had his head up his ass. You cannot make that shit up.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/22/2022


  10. #10
    kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster
    kidcudi92's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-14-11
    Posts: 15,860
    Betpoints: 12

    How many threads responding to ourselves are we making today buddy?
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: JAKEPEAVY21

  11. #11
    Memento
    Short Term Memory Loss Required
    Memento's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-28-15
    Posts: 1,181
    Betpoints: 301

    He still wasn't able to throw it that far...but it didn't matter with that lucky bounce. Definitely a bone head call my Troy coach given that a FG would beat you at that point.

  12. #12
    Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-04-09
    Posts: 45,608
    Betpoints: 9581

    Quote Originally Posted by Memento View Post
    He still wasn't able to throw it that far...but it didn't matter with that lucky bounce. Definitely a bone head call my Troy coach given that a FG would beat you at that point.
    The punter was routinely punting 40-45 yards. Why wouldn't you punt the ball? Taking a safety was stupid. A FG beats you and of course they give up a TD instead. It's stupid as fukk. Probably confused his own team. Who ever seen that shit?
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/22/2022


  13. #13
    semibluff
    Thank you for fixing this
    semibluff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-12-16
    Posts: 1,347
    Betpoints: 9128

    The idea of taking a safety is that it takes 10+ seconds off the clock and moves the ball further away on the free kick - thus making the Hail Mary a longer throw.

    If there weren't multiple holding penalties on the safety then the coaching staff did a poor job. (It's the "Everyone Holds" play where everyone holds - because the defense can't accept the penalty).

  14. #14
    BuckyOne
    BuckyOne's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-02-15
    Posts: 2,593
    Betpoints: 12312

    Sounds like App State must have a good punt returner Troy did not want to kick to?

  15. #15
    Memento
    Short Term Memory Loss Required
    Memento's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-28-15
    Posts: 1,181
    Betpoints: 301

    Quote Originally Posted by semibluff View Post
    The idea of taking a safety is that it takes 10+ seconds off the clock and moves the ball further away on the free kick - thus making the Hail Mary a longer throw.

    If there weren't multiple holding penalties on the safety then the coaching staff did a poor job. (It's the "Everyone Holds" play where everyone holds - because the defense can't accept the penalty).
    Except the safety took 5 seconds and the free kick ended up on the App State 47. There were then 2 incompletions that could have put them in FG range. Then that crazy hail mary he threw from his own 40 or so. It was 10 yards short of the endzone...just bad bounce. Still think punting there with 25 seconds from your 11 is better just to force the TD to win being up 4
    Points Awarded:

    Mac4Lyfe gave Memento 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.


  16. #16
    Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-04-09
    Posts: 45,608
    Betpoints: 9581

    Quote Originally Posted by semibluff View Post
    The idea of taking a safety is that it takes 10+ seconds off the clock and moves the ball further away on the free kick - thus making the Hail Mary a longer throw.
    If there weren't multiple holding penalties on the safety then the coaching staff did a poor job. (It's the "Everyone Holds" play where everyone holds - because the defense can't accept the penalty).
    But, you are now only up 2 points. Then you squib the safety punt??? So App State gets the ball back at midfield. One first down will give them a shot to beat you by a FG. If you punt the ball 10 seconds is coming off the clock anyway and most likely it's further than at midfield. The punter was punting very well. It makes no sense to give up 2 points when you are up 4. I could see if you are up 6 or more but that is just dumb.

    I thought App State would beat them with a FG at the end but giving up a Hail Mary serves that dumb ass coach right. It was a stupid call. Even the announcers was shocked.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/22/2022


  17. #17
    semibluff
    Thank you for fixing this
    semibluff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-12-16
    Posts: 1,347
    Betpoints: 9128

    Quote Originally Posted by Memento View Post
    Except the safety took 5 seconds and the free kick ended up on the App State 47. There were then 2 incompletions that could have put them in FG range. Then that crazy hail mary he threw from his own 40 or so. It was 10 yards short of the endzone...just bad bounce. Still think punting there with 25 seconds from your 11 is better just to force the TD to win being up 4
    Taking a safety in 5 seconds when you can wrestle every defender to the ground is inexcusable. It should take at least 10 seconds, and closer to 15 with an elusive ball carrier.
    Points Awarded:

    Mac4Lyfe gave semibluff 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.


  18. #18
    Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-04-09
    Posts: 45,608
    Betpoints: 9581

    Quote Originally Posted by Memento View Post
    Except the safety took 5 seconds and the free kick ended up on the App State 47. There were then 2 incompletions that could have put them in FG range. Then that crazy hail mary he threw from his own 40 or so. It was 10 yards short of the endzone...just bad bounce. Still think punting there with 25 seconds from your 11 is better just to force the TD to win being up 4
    The home field App State clock operator didn't do Troy any favors. Each play took only like 3 or 4 seconds off the clock. The hail Mary was with 2 seconds left. The game should have been over. Good for them, bad for me and Troy backers but I'm not even that pissed. I'm glad that coach got it up the ass for being a dummy.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/22/2022


  19. #19
    Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-04-09
    Posts: 45,608
    Betpoints: 9581

    Quote Originally Posted by semibluff View Post
    Taking a safety in 5 seconds when you can wrestle every defender to the ground is inexcusable. It should take at least 10 seconds, and closer to 15 with an elusive ball carrier.
    I don't mind taking a safety if you are up 6 or more. Taking a safety up only 4??? That's nonsense. That coach should be coaching at the ywca.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/22/2022


  20. #20
    semibluff
    Thank you for fixing this
    semibluff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-12-16
    Posts: 1,347
    Betpoints: 9128

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    But, you are now only up 2 points. Then you squib the safety punt??? So App State gets the ball back at midfield. One first down will give them a shot to beat you by a FG. If you punt the ball 10 seconds is coming off the clock anyway and most likely it's further than at midfield. The punter was punting very well. It makes no sense to give up 2 points when you are up 4. I could see if you are up 6 or more but that is just dumb.

    I thought App State would beat them with a FG at the end but giving up a Hail Mary serves that dumb ass coach right. It was a stupid call. Even the announcers was shocked.
    I wouldn't disagree with the point about taking a safety up 4 rather than up 6. If you're inside your own 5 yard line then kicking from the 20 could be a factor, but I doubt i'd call it. Either way it sounds like they couldn't execute a time-wasting safety.

  21. #21
    Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 07-14-07
    Posts: 29,850
    Betpoints: 26

    Wow. That's terrible

  22. #22
    pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-12-07
    Posts: 79,869
    Betpoints: 135

    Just remember. No football coach ever designed a rocket that was successfully launched.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/26/2022

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/22/2022


  23. #23
    Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-04-09
    Posts: 45,608
    Betpoints: 9581

    Quote Originally Posted by semibluff View Post
    I wouldn't disagree with the point about taking a safety up 4 rather than up 6. If you're inside your own 5 yard line then kicking from the 20 could be a factor, but I doubt i'd call it. Either way it sounds like they couldn't execute a time-wasting safety.
    Their defense was playing good. Punt the ball and then stop them from scoring a TD. If for some reason their was a bad snap, then tell your punter to take the safety. But they were punting well. Kick the ball hopefully further than that stupid squib but then keep everything underneath you. I think by taking the safety, the defense was a bit on pins and needles because a FG beats you, when it never should have.

    I could see if your punter sucked, or the long snapper messed up prior but they played very well, especially the defense. Punt the ball and prevent a TD versus giving up one first down and lose by a FG. I've never seen that before. If it had worked, people might have said he was a genius but I think it confused his team and bit him in the ass. Weird call.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/22/2022


  24. #24
    pologq
    Only 2 Girls Short of a Threesome
    pologq's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 10-07-12
    Posts: 16,113
    Betpoints: 315

    that throw will go down in history

  25. #25
    jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-17-13
    Posts: 30,769
    Betpoints: 5713

    I think he was thinking "Pat Mahomes isn't walking through that door, there is nothing to worry about". These coaches never think the "impossible" is going to happen, but Im sure theyve witnessed the "impossible" happen many times before. His playcalling scheme says he was most concerned about burning clock, so take a safety with qb buying time in end zone and squib kick for possible bobbling of ball. App state had no timeouts so he should have been more concerned with pinning them as deep as possible as he could. I don't think taking a safety is all that bad it's the squib kick that wasnt the best idea, also app state should have went down troy was smart in standing the guy up which burned another 5 or 6 seconds off the clock. There was a game last year something similar where a safety was taken but the right play prob was to pooch kick with qb, they were much closer to 50 yd line in that game I think. Here a pooch kick burns some clock but prob gives them good field position, although app state has their entire defense in the box.

    Last edited by jtoler; 09-18-22 at 01:57 AM.

  26. #26
    Marigold HD
    Marigold HD's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-03-07
    Posts: 5,015
    Betpoints: 30599

    I saw highlights. Crazy bad beat

  27. #27
    manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 10-22-07
    Posts: 20,502
    Betpoints: 1031

    Mac will bounce back bless his heart

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/19/2022


  28. #28
    JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 03-11-11
    Posts: 26,121
    Betpoints: 43295

    Quote Originally Posted by kidcudi92 View Post
    How many threads responding to ourselves are we making today buddy?
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/26/2022

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/22/2022

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/15/2022


  29. #29
    juicername
    Thomorino - Fade and Get Paid
    juicername's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 10-14-15
    Posts: 6,716
    Betpoints: 194

    Worst decision I've seen since Trump was in office. He must be related to the coach.

  30. #30
    big joe 1212
    big joe 1212's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 06-01-08
    Posts: 18,868
    Betpoints: 1511

    Dumb coaches everywhere. It’s amazing they are coaching at this high of a level.

    Syracuse coach got bailed out yesterday. He failed to use his timeouts to preserve clock on the final Purdue drive. Could have given his offense over 40 more seconds to work with. Refs bailed out Syracuse and Syracuse ends the game with 2 timeouts left that were never used.

  31. #31
    trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry
    trytrytry's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 03-13-06
    Posts: 23,338
    Betpoints: 225005

    if you have not seen each play late watch this clip as it builds to the moment. insane stuff


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5mn...=PSCHighlights
    Points Awarded:

    KVB gave trytrytry 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

    KVB gave trytrytry 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

    KVB gave trytrytry 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.


  32. #32
    Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-02-06
    Posts: 6,559
    Betpoints: 5821

    Two weeks into the season and we've seen mind blowing stupidity, it's almost hard to believe.

    The Syracuse game was one of the worst coached games I've ever seen, and Broehm was worse than Babers.

    Miami's Cristobal pulling the same shit he did at Oregon. And the Auburn coach is a joke, but his team sucks so nobody notices every bad decision he makes during a game.

    Seems to me the Troy safety call, because he gives you a free kick and unlikely they will get into FG range. But why squib the free kick? If you're worried about the return, you can directional kick the damn ball down the field and out of bounds. That's the bonus of the free kick, no pressure.

    I still always think the kick off the tee is better than the punt because you're less likely to shank it, yet just about every coach punts.

    Quote Originally Posted by big joe 1212 View Post
    Dumb coaches everywhere. Itís amazing they are coaching at this high of a level.

    Syracuse coach got bailed out yesterday. He failed to use his timeouts to preserve clock on the final Purdue drive. Could have given his offense over 40 more seconds to work with. Refs bailed out Syracuse and Syracuse ends the game with 2 timeouts left that were never used.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/26/2022

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/22/2022

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/19/2022

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/15/2022


  33. #33
    JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 03-11-11
    Posts: 26,121
    Betpoints: 43295

    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew View Post
    Two weeks into the season and we've seen mind blowing stupidity, it's almost hard to believe.

    The Syracuse game was one of the worst coached games I've ever seen, and Broehm was worse than Babers.

    Miami's Cristobal pulling the same shit he did at Oregon. And the Auburn coach is a joke, but his team sucks so nobody notices every bad decision he makes during a game.

    Seems to me the Troy safety call, because he gives you a free kick and unlikely they will get into FG range. But why squib the free kick? If you're worried about the return, you can directional kick the damn ball down the field and out of bounds. That's the bonus of the free kick, no pressure.

    I still always think the kick off the tee is better than the punt because you're less likely to shank it, yet just about every coach punts.
    A fair amount of posters here at SBR would probably do better than some of these coaches without a clue.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/26/2022

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/22/2022

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 09/15/2022


  34. #34
    KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 05-29-14
    Posts: 79,823
    Betpoints: 4008

    Quote Originally Posted by semibluff View Post
    Taking a safety in 5 seconds when you can wrestle every defender to the ground is inexcusable. It should take at least 10 seconds, and closer to 15 with an elusive ball carrier.
    Would be interesting to see this strategy, watch every offensive player pancake and hold down the corresponding defender while the quarterback just runs around and away from one guy for 20 seconds.

    What are they going to do run the down again? Defense is thinking more about clock.
    Points Awarded:

    semibluff gave KVB 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.


  35. #35
    semibluff
    Thank you for fixing this
    semibluff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-12-16
    Posts: 1,347
    Betpoints: 9128

    Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    Would be interesting to see this strategy, watch every offensive player pancake and hold down the corresponding defender while the quarterback just runs around and away from one guy for 20 seconds.

    What are they going to do run the down again? Defense is thinking more about clock.
    It's the 'Everyone holds' play that gained some notoriety in 1980's England when the game first became popular here. Ravens used it in 2016 against the Bengals on the final play of the game, (killed 12+ seconds). Highlights link below but you only need to see the final play.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS_fDCOXjLc

    The premise is that whilst it's a foul play that should be penalised the defense can't accept the penalty. There's a similar time-killing cheat variant for when a team has 1st down a few seconds outside the 4th quarter 2-minute warning and the opponent has no time-outs remaining. The QB drops back to pass and then dumps the ball off to whichever of the 5 O-Linemen is 'open'. He just has to catch it and get some decent yards. Obviously it's an illegal receiver so the defense won't cover them. The objective is just to get the clock down to the 2-minute warning. The Rams also game up an intentional safety late against the Falcons last week and didn't hold at all! I was bloody annoyed.

Top