JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3436

Hexversi Puzzle #1. Multiple Choice. 1st correct guess Wins 50 Points.

1 guess per person. If you guess a 2nd time, your 2nd guess will be ignored. First correct guess Wins 50 Points.

Hexversi has the exact same rules as Othello except the board is shaped like a hexagon and there is a dead spot in the middle of the board as seen in the image below. You cannot play through the dead spot, you must play around it. If you do not know how to play Othello, I recommend that you watch the minute and a half video below, and you will know ALL of the rules.

What's the best move for Purple?

Here are 2 hints.

#1 Pay close attention to 1:12 in the video above.
    #2 Don't be fooled by the illusion. Count Purple's options. Count Green's.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12975

b10
    Points Awarded:

JohnGalt2341 gave gauchojake 50 Betpoint(s) for this post.

JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3436

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    b10
    We have a Winner right out of the gate! Nice job here!

Here's an explanation for anyone that's interested. By Purple playing b10, this leaves Green with exactly 2 options as seen in the Green notation below. If Green plays either f10, or j2(they have to play one or the other), Purple will get either the Northwest corner, the Western corner, or the Eastern corner.

Once Purple gets the corner, Purple can start working on getting the other corners as well. I put the corner notation in Purple because although Purple doesn't have moves there just yet, they will in a couple of moves, and there is nothing Green can do to stop it. And from there, Purple can simply work FROM the corners and it's an easy win for Purple from here on out. Final score, Purple 61 Green 29.

Here's what the final board looked like.

And here's a link to the game starting from the original position. I'm not sure if the link will work or not if you don't have an account set up at itsyourturn.

https://www.itsyourturn.com/pp?gm&g=...1447&t=1&gn=97

Also, here's a link vs an AI if anyone wants to try a game. This link will work for everyone. This AI isn't terribly strong. Just don't be too aggressive like the AI is. Less is MORE. Try to keep your pieces INSIDE of your opponents. Don't let your pieces be exposed.

http://meta-site.net/hexlo/?fbclid=I...xXgSGPufKWHqTE

I might do another puzzle tomorrow.
    Last edited by JohnGalt2341; 08-29-22 at 09:35 PM.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12975

Thank you sir!