slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6219

If Boston end up losing this series

Should it be classed as a failure or was it a good effort to reach the championship final.

johnnyvegas13
    johnnyvegas13's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 162

More like when

And no they won the East finally

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

This version of the Celtics is not mature enough to win a title like the others were. As a Celtics fan, it was not easy for me to bet on Golden State to win this, but I had to because I'm a handicapper. We all encounter this tension. I encountered it in the previous series where very uncharacteristically, I shuffled back and forth between the Celtics and Milwaukee and Miami. That never would have happened with the Celtics teams of past years. But there's a number of factors concerning this team that are just not ready to win a title. Al Horford has been the biggest reason they got this far. Horford and Smart. But the Celtics don't have a pure point guard. That's a problem. One that really manages the plays and changes the way his forwards and guards play offense. Rondo did that.

Another issue is Tatum and Brown really have not matured as position basketball players. They are all over the place. Because both can score from deep, especially Tatum, there is confusion. Tatum doesn't know what to do with the ball, shoot, pass or penetrate. He decides at the last minute.. right at the last second. That's a mark of an unformed offense. Improvisation cannot be the default style of a championship team unless you are packed with all-star veterans. They need a point guard to direct them. I doubt Marcus Smart could even be that guy because Smart is more a natural shooting guard and disruptor on defense.

I never really felt comfortable in the Stevens coaching years. They spent too much time trying to form an identity that still has not fully been realised. When Danny Ainge stepped down and Stevens became chief of basketball operations I was like, okay, I can see why you're doing this, but who will be the coach? They took a risk with Udoka. The team because of its athleticism and talent was able to overcome Udoka's coaching shortcomings. To an extent. The extent witnessed this playoffs. Inconsistency. Losing leads and relying too much on improvisational play and hot shotmaking. This is why they run so hot and cold. It is why they turn the ball over. Because they honestly have no freaking idea what the play is. It's all improv. That is only going to get you so far because when the players are evenly matched, it is the X's and O's that win games.

What is the solution? Tatum or Brown / or Smart has to go. Pick one and replace him with either a true point guard or a true big man that knows his role. If it were up to me, I'd keep Smart, sign a point guard, trade Tatum or Brown. But if it were me, Stevens wouldn't be in charge, and Udoka wouldn't be coach. Stevens is not a true NBA manager or coach. He took the Butler philosophy and NCAA style into Boston. It is only going to get you so far. This is big man basketball. You have to know exactly what you are doing and do it without hesitation. That's why Golden State is coming through in the crunch.
    Last edited by Snowball; 06-14-22 at 08:40 AM.

homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11102

SLAYER
    they are about to lose to Five guys (Steph, Klay, Dray, Kerr, Bob Myers) who have THREE RINGS in the last Seven seasons. (i did not include Iggie because he has barely played)

and you are thinking it could be called a failure if they lose?

take a break from the keyboard bro.

you are off your game today.

go refresh and come back tomorrow.

Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

Quote Originally Posted by slayer14 View Post
    Should it be classed as a failure or was it a good effort to reach the championship final.
    They protect the ball, they win every game in this series by double digits

By far the superior team in these FINALS

goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2270

Failure. If you ain’t first you are last.
    They beat a dysfunctional nets team, barely beat a Bucks team without Middleton and beat a heat team where Butler is the only go to scorer on the team.
    Beating Golden State would have proved they were stars that people said they would be. Losing to state just shows they were no better then the Heats second place finals, Suns second place finals. And we all saw how these teams do the following year.
    This is the end of the Celtics team they’ll never win a title with Tatum and Brown. Just blow it up and start over because if you can’t win it all then why bother?

Fishhead
    Fishhead's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11769

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post

In fact, think that is exactly what happens moving forward...........CELTS win games 6 and 7 by 10+

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM
    KiDBaZkiT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1291

In fact, think that is exactly what happens moving forward...........CELTS win games 6 and 7 by 10+
    Fisher you haven’t posted a winner or been right about anything in months….

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

That's what I think. Boston has the superior roster.

If Gold St wins this series, props to Kerr/Curry. They would be stealing one, as HC and key player on the lesser team.

goduke

More than 16 turnovers yesterday. Fish trying to drive the line up so he can bet golden state. This guy always says one thing and bets another

ELNATURAL
    ELNATURAL's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9846

Barkley

Eating poop

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7696

Quote Originally Posted by goduke View Post
    More than 16 turnovers yesterday. Fish trying to drive the line up so he can bet golden state. This guy always says one thing and bets another
    You actually thinks he influences lines?

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3353

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    no but the fish man's followers might?

MiDNiTe
    MiDNiTe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5520

Boston are a dumb team, they've have had GS wobbly at times and close to knocking them out but choked and GS have showed why they are a champion team, game 4 could of been 3-1 lead Celts up 5 PTS last quarter and kept bricking 3s, just needed 1 more basket and you felt Kerr would of called time out, game 6 they had all the momentum and lead 3rd quarter Tatum double team or more because he was super hot passes ball to brown when he needed help, driving lane open and bricks, brown was awful because when he can't score the team stands around as he can't pass and also terrible handles

MiDNiTe

Scores have been a lopsided but it's been super close, Boston just choking right now, they need to win by big margins because if it's close they've have no clutch players right now, even game 7 Vs Miami that game didn't deserve to be that close, Miami didn't beat Boston but they've given GS the blueprint to beat Boston, in the big moments double or triple team Tatum and see if the other guys can win it for them

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 422

Celtics have to hit 3s to win

goduke

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    No I think his dumb ass thinks he does though. I think he comes on here hoping he can get people to pump a line up so he can take another side.
    The problem with his method is there’s like 20 people that are actually on this forum at the moment so he’s not driving any action and no one believes anything he says as well

TheLock
    TheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7931

Quote Originally Posted by goduke View Post
    Failure. If you ain’t first you are last.
    They beat a dysfunctional nets team, barely beat a Bucks team without Middleton and beat a heat team where Butler is the only go to scorer on the team.
    Beating Golden State would have proved they were stars that people said they would be. Losing to state just shows they were no better then the Heats second place finals, Suns second place finals. And we all saw how these teams do the following year.
    This is the end of the Celtics team they’ll never win a title with Tatum and Brown. Just blow it up and start over because if you can’t win it all then why bother?
    You’re a very smart guy but this is a really bad take on the Celtics and this season. Blow it up? C’mon.

Not to mention it’s not inconceivable that they WIN THE NBA CHAMPIONSHIP this year.

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19593

Not a failure at all. They're up against the NBA's dynasty, a team that's been to six finals in eight years and probably missed the other two due to injuries to their two big guns.

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13593

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    This version of the Celtics is not mature enough to win a title like the others were. As a Celtics fan, it was not easy for me to bet on Golden State to win this, but I had to because I'm a handicapper. We all encounter this tension. I encountered it in the previous series where very uncharacteristically, I shuffled back and forth between the Celtics and Milwaukee and Miami. That never would have happened with the Celtics teams of past years. But there's a number of factors concerning this team that are just not ready to win a title. Al Horford has been the biggest reason they got this far. Horford and Smart. But the Celtics don't have a pure point guard. That's a problem. One that really manages the plays and changes the way his forwards and guards play offense. Rondo did that.

Another issue is Tatum and Brown really have not matured as position basketball players. They are all over the place. Because both can score from deep, especially Tatum, there is confusion. Tatum doesn't know what to do with the ball, shoot, pass or penetrate. He decides at the last minute.. right at the last second. That's a mark of an unformed offense. Improvisation cannot be the default style of a championship team unless you are packed with all-star veterans. They need a point guard to direct them. I doubt Marcus Smart could even be that guy because Smart is more a natural shooting guard and disruptor on defense.

I never really felt comfortable in the Stevens coaching years. They spent too much time trying to form an identity that still has not fully been realised. When Danny Ainge stepped down and Stevens became chief of basketball operations I was like, okay, I can see why you're doing this, but who will be the coach? They took a risk with Udoka. The team because of its athleticism and talent was able to overcome Udoka's coaching shortcomings. To an extent. The extent witnessed this playoffs. Inconsistency. Losing leads and relying too much on improvisational play and hot shotmaking. This is why they run so hot and cold. It is why they turn the ball over. Because they honestly have no freaking idea what the play is. It's all improv. That is only going to get you so far because when the players are evenly matched, it is the X's and O's that win games.

What is the solution? Tatum or Brown / or Smart has to go. Pick one and replace him with either a true point guard or a true big man that knows his role. If it were up to me, I'd keep Smart, sign a point guard, trade Tatum or Brown. But if it were me, Stevens wouldn't be in charge, and Udoka wouldn't be coach. Stevens is not a true NBA manager or coach. He took the Butler philosophy and NCAA style into Boston. It is only going to get you so far. This is big man basketball. You have to know exactly what you are doing and do it without hesitation. That's why Golden State is coming through in the crunch.
    C's fan also. Good writeup but IMHO Smart (or dumb) is the one that has to go.

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Otters27 View Post
    Celtics have to hit 3s to win
    No arguement here but simple fact is to's 18 and clanked 10 fouls shots.

goduke

Quote Originally Posted by TheLock View Post
    You’re a very smart guy but this is a really bad take on the Celtics and this season. Blow it up? C’mon.

Not to mention it’s not inconceivable that they WIN THE NBA CHAMPIONSHIP this year.
    How is it a bad take? This isn’t the first year this team has been together. A team that can win it all typically has a couple times where they fall short and then they break through and win it all.Celtics have been falling short since they’ve had this roster and then they will fall short again this year.
    I’m not saying they can’t be a consistent playoff team as is but they had their shot with the roster as is and they failed this year and a few times before. It won’t get better. So they can stay the course, make the playoffs for 5-6 more years and fall short and blow it up or they can just do it now while they can get maximum value back. I would chose the latter

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

Quote Originally Posted by Madison View Post
    C's fan also. Good writeup but IMHO Smart (or dumb) is the one that has to go.
    That's fine. But if Tatum is not comfortable battling in the paint a lot, Horford won't be around much longer to do it for him. Coaching is still a problem. But still, best to talk after it's over.

homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11102

"Superior team" is down 2-3 and about to lose the series whether G6 or G7.

you just dislike because they have won 3 titles in the past 7 seasons and/or they are a Woke Organization.

it's obvious why you dislike them.

MiDNiTe

One thing is Boston better not try that stupid fixed rotations shit where they take Tatum out 6 min while giving keys to brown, GS are ready for that idiot Boston coach, if guy gets double his handles and playmaking isn't good enough, last game he panicked and brang Tatum back in when brown was choking and Tatum plays near whole game and air balling 4th quarter because his tired from carrying the whole tea

I thought Tatum was shit but watched replay game and guy hit big shot after big shot when GS were blowing the game apart and that 3rd quarter where they got the lead was all Tatum so GS tried to double and triple team him and everyone else on Boston were shit, Boston need to find at leastv1 or 2 min rest for Tatum, think guy rested 1 or 2 min first half and pretty much non 2nd half

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22125

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post

All these people need to go yet they are two games away from being champions?

MiDNiTe

Quote Originally Posted by Thor4140 View Post
    All these people need to go yet they are two games away from being champions?
    Yeah blowing up the team is so stupid since they can easily win game 6 and who knows game 7, GS have been getting excellent mins from their bench, even curry gets rested while Boston coach banked on Pritchard being one of his guys and now it's probably too late to trust anyone else but he has to, even bucks coach gave Giannis one or 2 quick bench minutes, you can't play their stars all 2nd half and nearly all first half again after chasing curry etc all game

BuckyOne
    BuckyOne's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19285

They take turns shooting crappy and not just from three. 30% type of garbage. They have no go to plays when you absolutely, positively got to have a bucket. Here, are the two best teams in basketball and they cannot score 200 points.

No consistency, they both are going to bomb shots and take their chances. GSW were a horseshiite 9 for 40 from 3 but won the game because Boston shot really bad (42 for 107 from the field).

If Boston has 18 turnovers again and GSW only 6 it puts them behind the 8 ball.

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by MiDNiTe View Post
    One thing is Boston better not try that stupid fixed rotations shit where they take Tatum out 6 min while giving keys to brown, GS are ready for that idiot Boston coach, if guy gets double his handles and playmaking isn't good enough, last game he panicked and brang Tatum back in when brown was choking and Tatum plays near whole game and air balling 4th quarter because his tired from carrying the whole tea

I thought Tatum was shit but watched replay game and guy hit big shot after big shot when GS were blowing the game apart and that 3rd quarter where they got the lead was all Tatum so GS tried to double and triple team him and everyone else on Boston were shit, Boston need to find at leastv1 or 2 min rest for Tatum, think guy rested 1 or 2 min first half and pretty much non 2nd half
    This is why I don't get the "Boston has deeper bench". Disagree.

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO

Yeah blowing up the team is so stupid since they can easily win game 6 and who knows game 7, GS have been getting excellent mins from their bench, even curry gets rested while Boston coach banked on Pritchard being one of his guys and now it's probably too late to trust anyone else but he has to, even bucks coach gave Giannis one or 2 quick bench minutes, you can't play their stars all 2nd half and nearly all first half again after chasing curry etc all game
    Pritchard has been BIG failure. At times he can be Curry like, and then he barely hits the rim. Clearly they need him and he's failing in the spotlight.

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by BuckyOne View Post
    They take turns shooting crappy and not just from three. 30% type of garbage. They have no go to plays when you absolutely, positively got to have a bucket. Here, are the two best teams in basketball and they cannot score 200 points.

No consistency, they both are going to bomb shots and take their chances. GSW were a horseshiite 9 for 40 from 3 but won the game because Boston shot really bad (42 for 107 from the field).

If Boston has 18 turnovers again and GSW only 6 it puts them behind the 8 ball.
    Add 10 missed ft's to the to's and you have a recipe for disaster.

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO

GS, and many other teams don't care about the salary cap penalties. Boston clearly trying to be fiscally prudent. They need another impact player to get over the top.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

A lot of amazing posts in this thread.

Snowball - Totally agree with you. Tatum and Brown... your best scorers.... leaders if you will... aren't really leaders... great play basketball players... but ZERO LEADERSHIP quality. Smart is a motivator... but sometimes you don't look up to a person like that... in which... ISN'T ELITE. Smart can become lazy too. Not a true leader. Inconsistent. Tatum and Brown remind me of like... Tayshaun Prince of Detroit back in the Championship year. Tayshaun wasn't a leader... but if RIP or Chauncey needed a blow down the floor... Tayshaun would give you options... you could go to him. But Tayshaun wasn't the type of player that could LEAD the entire game.

MiDNiTe - Great post. At times G.S. looks rocked... and down. Then they look at themselves.... and they're like... well sh##... you going to let me back in this game?? Damn that was easy. Way too easy to be honest. G.S. isn't really scared when their down. Boston needs to work down low more in the paint.... when they have a lead. Wear G.S. out more... what happens.... they get the lead... start jacking up long range shots that they miss.... and it opens up "run and gun" transition for G.S. down the floor. Boston can't even set the D.

At times when the camera goes on Brad Stevens in the suite area.... he has the look of a guy that wants to rip his team up a little. It's like he clearly knows what the issues are.... and can't do anything about it. He has to let it play out.... and make decisions in the off-season. It would eat me alive to lose this series as a GM. I have a high level of talent.... balance... great defense... but can't get it done against G.S. let's face it... you can't go 3-4 trips down the floor each time... not score... and hope G.S. is COLD. That's not going to work. You beat G.S. with body punches... high and low.... throw the exact same thing they throw at you... If your 3 point shot isn't there... work down low more... Tatum should be driving the lane on every possession... he has the length... decent size... and ability. He's afraid of contact. That's his problem. If Tatum would just "MAN UP" these last 2 games... Game 6 and Game 7. Show us something we haven't see before... Have some FIRE and INTENSITY.... get in Draymond Green's face and say FUKK YOUUUU BRO... and show some desire... I'm telling you... it would motivate and spark Boston's entire team. The momentum would change BIG TIME. This is all on Tatum.

To answer Slayer's original question.... no question in my mind... HUGE FAILURE. G.S. is on the older side... Boston's is younger... and more "team" talented than G.S. When Boston blitzed them late in the 4th qtr Game 1... I'll never forget the look on Curry's face... Kerr's face... they basically said... what just happened? That's the type of team chemistry Boston has... did they already forget how to do it? I don't think it was all luck.

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22125

Here is how the Celtics could win the next two. You get a authoritive figure to grab both Brown and Tatum by the neck and tell them they will be shot, the next time they try and drive in on four guys like two nitwits, and try to score. Smart is a little better at it so you let him go. Next if White is hot let him stay in. If he is cold which is most of the time get him out quick. Pritchard or whatever the fuks name is needs to stay on the bench or go sit in the locker room. I haven’t saw him make a shot in three series. When you see Williams lose his cool like in the first minute he gets out there’ you tell him to go back to the dressing room and go sulk. If he can last more than a minute let him play till Green plays this fool. Lastly tell this braindead coach to stop waiting till the last second to challenge a call than end up not using it at all. Late third quarter or early fourth Clay pushes Smart and hits a three. If you challenge there, you take off three points and Clay now has five fouls. Instead it turned into three points, than being pissed off, technical fouls and Clay still has four fouls. What a better time to use that bullshit challenge (bullshit cause i hate this bullshit fuking rule.) The reason why when you win a challenge you dont get another is because you will see how shitty these refs really are. If each team had five you would see how brutal they were so this rule will never change. Oh and the number one thing that can help out Boston the most is everyone bet GState. When a boat load of the money is on one team it is amazing how games are called. Now for Gstate to win it is really simple. When Tatum gets the ball you double him. He is the worst basketball player i ever saw in my life that when doubled, turns the ball over at a 95 percent clip. Boston,i feel is the better team here but i don’t know if it is Gstates experience that is beating them,or Bostons stupidity.

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think snowy is correct. I don't see a rhythm with the Celtics or at least not consistently. Some quarters they look amazing but State has done a better job overall. If I were a Celtics team, I would think finding a shooter that is dangerous to open the floor up for Tatum would be how I would approach it. I know they have Horford shooting them off Tatums dribble, but that doesn't seem like the right rhythm if that makes sense. Golden State at home in game two had harmony in the entire building, good luck celt backers if it goes 7.

12 Last