1. #1
    jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 07-20-05
    Posts: 394,847
    Betpoints: 10

    3 Worst Coaches NCAA History Based Off talent

    Calipari
    Coach K
    Bill Self

  2. #2
    gummo
    Bearcats
    gummo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-04-06
    Posts: 6,299
    Betpoints: 1135

    Roy Williams and Dean Smith have to be up there.

  3. #3
    goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 02-17-10
    Posts: 10,758
    Betpoints: 1007

    Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Calipari
    Coach K
    Bill Self
    Duke isnít a program without coach k. Their athletics wouldnít have been relevant.
    Bill self I agree with
    Calipari is just stuck now because with NIL deals you canít just sell someone on sweet dorm rooms and fancy shit when local businesses elsewhere can offer straight up cash

  4. #4
    Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 06-30-08
    Posts: 45,305
    Betpoints: 7515

    Kentucky players are all over NBA rosters

    Kentucky results don't match the talent by a long shot

  5. #5
    pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-12-07
    Posts: 80,994
    Betpoints: 244

    Iowa coach big choker too.
    Points Awarded:

    Tanko gave pavyracer 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.


  6. #6
    Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-04-09
    Posts: 46,199
    Betpoints: 13359

    Cal is an awful in game coach. Awful. Imagine if he didn’t have bag men.

  7. #7
    big joe 1212
    big joe 1212's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 06-01-08
    Posts: 19,320
    Betpoints: 3853

    Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Iowa coach big choker too.
    He was awesome at Siena

  8. #8
    stake1
    stake1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-19-18
    Posts: 18,019
    Betpoints: 2438

    Barnes! That guy had his pick of players at Texas and loads of talent now at TN.
    Barnes has one final four appearance, out of 26 tournaments with more talent than any coach during that time combined
    Points Awarded:

    Mac4Lyfe gave stake1 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.


  9. #9
    DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 05-15-10
    Posts: 6,684
    Betpoints: 16617

    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    Kentucky players are all over NBA rosters

    Kentucky results don't match the talent by a long shot
    Many of Calipari's players whom are in the NBA were one ann done; they weren't necessarily NBA caliber when they played for Kentucky.

  10. #10
    unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-27-08
    Posts: 27,526
    Betpoints: 556

    Quote Originally Posted by gummo View Post
    Roy Williams and Dean Smith have to be up there.

  11. #11
    unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-27-08
    Posts: 27,526
    Betpoints: 556

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHorseplayer View Post
    Many of Calipari's players whom are in the NBA were one ann done; they weren't necessarily NBA caliber when they played for Kentucky.
    So they are a one and done. They weren't that great for the 8 months at Kentucky but the NBA will pick many of them in the first round? Did you actually say that? So they are 5 star prospects, all the top colleges are attacking to get them. They spend not even a year at Kentucky and then get picked first round by the NBA, but during that few months they weren't that good? Is that what you are saying? They are one and done because they have to be. That is the rule. Most would have just went to the draft.

  12. #12
    sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 11-21-07
    Posts: 12,632
    Betpoints: 9080

    ncaa - les miles , worst ever 100%

  13. #13
    Itsamazing777
    Not interested....
    Itsamazing777's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 11-14-12
    Posts: 10,396
    Betpoints: 1300

    Self haha.

  14. #14
    JRR123
    JRR123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-07-22
    Posts: 3
    Betpoints: 132

    Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Iowa coach big choker too.
    Fran McCaffrey. I used to play hoops with him in the summer when he coached at Lehigh. Nice guy, but yes, can't win big games.

  15. #15
    johnnyvegas13
    johnnyvegas13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 05-21-15
    Posts: 23,831
    Betpoints: 467

    Danny Hurley

    but I gotta let that go ....

  16. #16
    MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-18-10
    Posts: 14,760
    Betpoints: 1658

    Texas has the 4th most NBA players

    There's a college program w lots of ????

  17. #17
    DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 05-15-10
    Posts: 6,684
    Betpoints: 16617

    Quote Originally Posted by unde0087 View Post
    So they are a one and done. They weren't that great for the 8 months at Kentucky but the NBA will pick many of them in the first round? Did you actually say that? So they are 5 star prospects, all the top colleges are attacking to get them. They spend not even a year at Kentucky and then get picked first round by the NBA, but during that few months they weren't that good? Is that what you are saying? They are one and done because they have to be. That is the rule. Most would have just went to the draft.

    I'm aware that they're superb talents but when they get drafted, sometimes it's because they're going to be NBA caliber in two or three years but they aren't right now. When Duke won titles with Hurley, Laettner, Hill, etc. those guys were NBA caliber when they were at Duke; a lot of the one and dones aren't at the NBA level during their year in college or even their first year or two in the pros.
    Last edited by DrunkHorseplayer; 03-21-22 at 10:45 AM.

  18. #18
    kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 07-25-10
    Posts: 10,068
    Betpoints: 4520

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHorseplayer View Post
    I'm aware that they're superb talents but when they get drafted, sometimes it's because they're going to be NBA caliber in two or three years but they aren't right now. When Duke won titles with Hurley, Laettner, Hill, etc. those guys were NBA caliber when they were at Duke; a lot of the one and dones aren't at the NBA level during their year in college or ever their first year or two in the pros.
    This is the new normal. i like that the nfl lets the ncaa be their farm system. but the nba is so superstar driven. we will never see a 'great' college basketball team again like the 90's. If you let these guys get shoe deals instead of the coaches who already make millions...maybe some stay longer.

  19. #19
    Mr.Capone
    Mr.Capone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-27-19
    Posts: 408
    Betpoints: 5038

    Add this gentleman

    Rick Barnes

    Providence, Texas , Tennessee

  20. #20
    Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-04-09
    Posts: 46,199
    Betpoints: 13359

    Quote Originally Posted by stake1 View Post
    Barnes! That guy had his pick of players at Texas and loads of talent now at TN.
    Barnes has one final four appearance, out of 26 tournaments with more talent than any coach during that time combined
    Good call. Didn't he have Durant and couldn't get out of the 1st weekend?
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: stake1

  21. #21
    Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-02-06
    Posts: 6,977
    Betpoints: 7585

    Tennessee has always been garbage in the tournament, even with Pearl they were terrible.

  22. #22
    Mr.Capone
    Mr.Capone's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-27-19
    Posts: 408
    Betpoints: 5038

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    Good call. Didn't he have Durant and couldn't get out of the 1st weekend?
    Yes I believe so they had a talented team of sophomore's and freshman. I believe he was 1 and done.

  23. #23
    clockwise1965
    clockwise1965's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-01-13
    Posts: 6,760
    Betpoints: 17880

    Tubby Smith is on the list.

  24. #24
    stake1
    stake1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-19-18
    Posts: 18,019
    Betpoints: 2438

    Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    Good call. Didn't he have Durant and couldn't get out of the 1st weekend?
    You are correct, he was Durant’s coach. Barnes has had more loaded rosters and failed, over-and-over in March
    Today is now yet another wasted season. another new low for him and his teams

  25. #25
    pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-12-07
    Posts: 80,994
    Betpoints: 244

    Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Calipari
    Coach K
    Bill Self
    2 of them in Final 4.

  26. #26
    OldBill
    OldBill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-02-21
    Posts: 3,820
    Betpoints: 4322

    who was the maniac Coach always throwing chairs in game and other wild stuff?

  27. #27
    OldBill
    OldBill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-02-21
    Posts: 3,820
    Betpoints: 4322

    ok wait it was Coach K

  28. #28
    OldBill
    OldBill's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 11-02-21
    Posts: 3,820
    Betpoints: 4322

    no it was other Coach K BOBBY KNIGHT




  29. #29
    stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date: 01-17-11
    Posts: 59,229
    Betpoints: 28112

    UConn homer checking in.

    Kevin Ollie.
    Won a title with Calhoun's recruits, Ollie had nothing to do with that title except taking credit for coaching it
    Calhoun GIFTED Ollie that title.

    Then in no time flat right after that 'chip, Ollie proceeds to bludgeon the Husky back to the stone age..
    Clearly clueless on how to run a big time program, he was so far over his head it was pathetic.
    Last edited by stevenash; 04-02-22 at 01:53 PM.

  30. #30
    Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 06-30-08
    Posts: 45,305
    Betpoints: 7515

    Fran McCaffrey

    Fuckin guy hasn't made a sweet 16 at any school

  31. #31
    Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-02-06
    Posts: 6,977
    Betpoints: 7585

    Yeah, I said that at the time as well. He was no better than Bruiser Flynt. Ollie was fielding NBA offers after that title year.

    But somehow he got his money, they had to cut him an $11 million check last month.

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    UConn homer checking in.

    Kevin Ollie.
    Won a title with Calhoun's recruits, Ollie had nothing to do with that title except taking credit for coaching it
    Calhoun GIFTED Ollie that title.

    Then in no time flat right after that 'chip, Ollie proceeds to bludgeon the Husky back to the stone age..
    Clearly clueless on how to run a big time program, he was so far over his head it was pathetic.

  32. #32
    stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date: 01-17-11
    Posts: 59,229
    Betpoints: 28112

    Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Slew View Post
    Yeah, I said that at the time as well. He was no better than Bruiser Flynt. Ollie was fielding NBA offers after that title year.

    But somehow he got his money, they had to cut him an $11 million check last month.
    The whole thing was a clusterfuck.
    Thank God for Hurley, who had better get us past the first round this year.
    (I'll cut him a break, New Mexico State was sneaky good all season)

  33. #33
    MT Casings
    MT Casings's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-18-16
    Posts: 166
    Betpoints: 331

    Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Iowa coach big choker too.
    A lot of players leave the program because heís a total ass.

  34. #34
    JacketFan81
    GO GEORGIA TECH!
    JacketFan81's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 10-28-17
    Posts: 1,751
    Betpoints: 3920

    I can't wait to bump this thread when the the coach who does "less with more" wins the national championship.

  35. #35
    thomorino
    thomorino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-01-17
    Posts: 45,848

    Quote Originally Posted by goduke View Post
    Duke isnít a program without coach k. Their athletics wouldnít have been relevant.
    Bill self I agree with
    Calipari is just stuck now because with NIL deals you canít just sell someone on sweet dorm rooms and fancy shit when local businesses elsewhere can offer straight up cash
    Horrible take. The NIL deals have nothing to do with why Kentucky isn't as good now. Calipari was one of the few coaches who focused on 1 and done players for a while, now almost every major school is recruiting one and done players, Calipari is getting nowhere near as good of players as he had when he had John Wall and Cousins on the same team.

    Duke never recruited the one and done players for years, now most of Duke's roster is one and done players.

12 Last
Top