Runeblade
    Runeblade's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

The proper way to rank offensive lines in the NFL?

I wanted to create a metric on how to rate O-lines. Let me know what you guys think or if I missed something important.

1 Sacks allowed
    2 Amount of average time the QB has to throw the ball
    3 Amount of holding penalties
    4 Amount of yardage lost by tackling RBs in the backfield and how many times
    5 fumbled snaps
    6 Number QB sneaks successful
    7 Number of false starts
    8 Rushing yards gained by RBs
    9 Rushing yards gained by QBs
    10 Amount of rushing first downs obtained from 3rd and 4th down.

BeatTheJerk
    BeatTheJerk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

Great idea, but how the fukk you gonna do all that & not have to quit your day job ?

Runeblade

Quote Originally Posted by BeatTheJerk View Post
    Great idea, but how the fukk you gonna do all that & not have to quit your day job ?
    LOL...I know I got a lot of homework to do.

HappyGilmore18
    HappyGilmore18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 130

Quote Originally Posted by Runeblade View Post
    LOL...I know I got a lot of homework to do.
    Chicago Bears have to be dead last in everything but run blocking.

Runeblade

Quote Originally Posted by happygilmore18 View Post
    chicago bears have to be dead last in everything but run blocking.
    da bears!!!

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

I think it would be better to use a group like pro football focus that ranks/grades each lineman on each play.

Runeblade

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    I think it would be better to use a group like pro football focus that ranks/grades each lineman on each play.
    True, plus how much pressure is coming from that side and who is letting that pressure come in.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

Quote Originally Posted by Runeblade View Post
    True, plus how much pressure is coming from that side and who is letting that pressure come in.
    the stats you mention can be a piece of the puzzle, but there are other factors that can skew those #'s such as the talent of the opposing defenses they've face, weather, having a shitty QB that fumbles snaps or can't "feel" pressure or throw it away. a shitty RB that can't find holes or tries to make barry sanders moves.

with personnel rankings the O linemen got rated on their performance of their assignment and if they made their block well they get credit for that, and they don't get detracted for a RB stumbling behind the line or the R guard letting a LB through.

also with so many injuries on the O line. The stats obtained from the first part of the season might not be as applicable to the starting O line that is going out there in week 13 or something. Synergy is a big thing with O lines.

I do really like the idea to gather up the 3rd down, 4th down rushing first down %, maybe as well as rushing td's from 3 yard line in.

Runeblade

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    the stats you mention can be a piece of the puzzle, but there are other factors that can skew those #'s such as the talent of the opposing defenses they've face, weather, having a shitty QB that fumbles snaps or can't "feel" pressure or throw it away. a shitty RB that can't find holes or tries to make barry sanders moves.

with personnel rankings the O linemen got rated on their performance of their assignment and if they made their block well they get credit for that, and they don't get detracted for a RB stumbling behind the line or the R guard letting a LB through.

also with so many injuries on the O line. The stats obtained from the first part of the season might not be as applicable to the starting O line that is going out there in week 13 or something. Synergy is a big thing with O lines.

I do really like the idea to gather up the 3rd down, 4th down rushing first down %, maybe as well as rushing td's from 3 yard line in.
    Yeah I'm putting some things together for next season so I can start from week 1. It would be to tedious to go all the way back now. Thank you for that input though.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR

yeah thanks for bringing this up, I would like to come up with somethign more comprehensive next year and going forward for the O line. I leaned heavy into PFF rankings heavy after covid because I thought that would be where the games were won and lost with the extreme lack of in person reps during covid.

this season has provided great data now, with getting things back to normal with continuity in everyone being able to practice and play together again. I think this year's rookie O line class and next year's and maybe even the 2023 draft class will have a bit of a stunted growth and lack of experience. SO I think there will be value in finding teams that have that 0 line with that solid core of 3-4 or hopeflly 5 guys that have been in the system for 4+ years and not having to bring some 5th round pick into a crucial spot

Runeblade

Basically, I'm looking at a point value structure per metric. For example:

Sacks allowed will be (x) number of points deducted while rushing yards obtained by RBs and QBs will be (x) number of points added. Like I said I got a lot of homework lol.

Runeblade

Does anyone know the best site to watch every snap of the NFL games?