What is Miami thinking?

35 yards not a chip shot

Had 1st from the 15 yard line w 1:30 left

Get in the endzone

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6892

i turned game back on just to watch another college kicker shank a winning kick

didn't leave disappointed

lmao

you could tell he missed watching live

33 yards to win in college = trying to win in NFL from 52+

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11150

NC State kicker shanked the exact same chip shot. You are dead in the middle of the field. The goal post are 18'6 wide and you can't kick the ball straight? I had NC State and the under and that bastard kicker missing took the game to overtime where I lost an easy under bet. I was watching Miami coach Diaz grinning on the sidelines as he was milking clock. The entire time I thinking the joke is going to be on him when the kicker misses and he shanked it. I am pretty sure, I could make that kick in my slippers.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Ya I just don't get it....not when you have 1:30 and all your time outs, and VA only had 1 left because the clock was running after injury when they got the 1st.

They could have gotten another 1st easily, laid down on the 1; if not a TD and forced VA to go 80 yards w 0 time outs in under 10 seconds.

Just terrible game management from a Coach whose team wasn't prepared to begin with tonite.

Okieirish
    Okieirish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2970

Bronco sort of choked not blitzing that Miami QB on 3rd and 14. Miami coach is thinking, he does not want Virginia to have time to come back. In the back of my mind , I was wondering if Miami got a TD, would they go for 2? And lose the spread at 5 1/2. I convinced myself, they would not , because VIrginia could return the 2 point conversion for 2. Miami was stupid not to at least try to get 5 to 10 yards closer, which would likely have made that final kick good.

Mac4Lyfe

Bronco dumb dumb punted the ball that last possession on a 4th and like 2.5. This after Miami was on a 24-7 run in the 2nd half. That is madness. You just knew they would never get the ball back. Virginia defense just didn't give a damn in that 2nd half. Trusting your defense to get a stop late in that 4th quarter is stupid. His last 2 possessions he should have went for it but these coaches are mainly old school and don't have a good feel for the actual game.

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24932

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    What is Miami thinking?

35 yards not a chip shot

Had 1st from the 15 yard line w 1:30 left

Get in the endzone
    Two reasons:

1. If you're aggressively angling for the touchdown, you probably have to throw at some point with a backup quarterback and if he turns it over you're going to face some serious heat in the aftermath.

2. If you score too quickly you put your crappy defense out there one last time and with college rules a team can stretch a minute into a lifetime.

So Manny figured milk the clock, center the ball, and let your kicker hit a chippy. I not saying it was the perfect decision but I can definitely understand the thought process.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by Okieirish View Post
    Bronco sort of choked not blitzing that Miami QB on 3rd and 14. Miami coach is thinking, he does not want Virginia to have time to come back. In the back of my mind , I was wondering if Miami got a TD, would they go for 2? And lose the spread at 5 1/2. I convinced myself, they would not , because VIrginia could return the 2 point conversion for 2. Miami was stupid not to at least try to get 5 to 10 yards closer, which would likely have made that final kick good.
    The kick was a 32 yarder. That is the ideal spot to kick a FG. You actually don't want to be much closer. All you have to do is get the ball off your leg and it's going in. The kicker stumbled after he kicked the ball, was probably off balance before he kicked it. He had one job to do. Fail.

MinnesotaFats

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Munny View Post
    Two reasons:

1. If you're aggressively angling for the touchdown, you probably have to throw at some point with a backup quarterback and if he turns it over you're going to face some serious heat in the aftermath.

2. If you score too quickly you put your crappy defense out there one last time and with college rules a team can stretch a minute into a lifetime.

So Manny figured milk the clock, center the ball, and let your kicker hit a chippy. I not saying it was the perfect decision but I can definitely understand the thought process.
    But there's room for another 1st...that's the point. They were on the 15 or whatever. A trap, a sweep, a screen, a fade (if 1o1)...all more productive than 2 smash runs & a qb wobble to the middle.

It wasn't like they were inside the 10. The play choices were shit, and if you get the next 1st you lay down, milk clock...then get TD you're golden.
    Points Awarded:

Mac4Lyfe gave MinnesotaFats 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Mac4Lyfe

Two reasons:

I'm running the ball trying to get a TD on 2nd and 3rd. Miami was only going to have less than a minute to score a TD. I rather be up 5, maybe 6 with a minute and they have no timeouts than trying a FG kick that I've seen too many college kickers miss. I'm at least trying for the TD. If I don't get it, I can still kick on 4th down anyway. It's almost like he iced his kicker. You're taking knees and playing for the last play of the game. Too much pressure.

Mac4Lyfe

His playcalling reeked of playing to lose mentality. We all saw it and felt it. I was not surprised when the kicker missed it. Same as the NC State game. "You play to win the game"

Okieirish

Like you said, a 33 yard FG in college to win is not a gimme. It might only be 65%. There is still a decent chance he will miss. I like my chances much more at 20 yards, those posts are a lot wider closer in !

Eddy Munny

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    But there's room for another 1st...that's the point. They were on the 15 or whatever. A trap, a sweep, a screen, a fade (if 1o1)...all more productive than 2 smash runs & a qb wobble to the middle.

It wasn't like they were inside the 10. The play choices were shit, and if you get the next 1st you lay down, milk clock...then get TD you're golden.
    Fair enough. I don't think I saw the entire sequence of playcalls because I was flipping back and forth, but yeah, I wouldn't have gone into a shell entirely.

That being said, the kick should've been a layup. It was dead center, and not even a PAT in the NFL.

Eddy Munny

Like you said, a 33 yard FG in college to win is not a gimme. It might only be 65%. There is still a decent chance he will miss. I like my chances much more at 20 yards, those posts are a lot wider closer in !
    Nah, it's way over 65%

Okieirish

Nah, it's way over 65%
    I don't know. You see a lot of shanked balls in college. In pro that is probably 95+ %.

TheMetsSuck
    TheMetsSuck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1482

Blows my mind how bad college kickers are. I honest to god could start at most schools as a kicker. Played high level soccer most my life. I turned down a D1 pac 12 kicker opportunity. I was gambling like a fiend at the time. It would’ve been a real dicey situation .

TheMetsSuck
    TheMetsSuck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1482

Bottom line, if you are a kicker, you should go 90%+ from 40 yards and under. No excuses

Mac4Lyfe

a kicker has ONE job. One fukking job. Do your job. A 35 yard kick should be made in your sleep. That said, I've had shitty kickers my entire football career. Junior high, HS and college. I've been emotionally scarred by poor kickers. Nothing sucks the life out of a team more than a kicker shanking an extra point, missing a FG after a long drive or especially kicking the ball out of bounds after a score. You got one fukking job.

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3353

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    a kicker has ONE job. One fukking job. Do your job. A 35 yard kick should be made in your sleep. That said, I've had shitty kickers my entire football career. Junior high, HS and college. I've been emotionally scarred by poor kickers. Nothing sucks the life out of a team more than a kicker shanking an extra point, missing a FG after a long drive or especially kicking the ball out of bounds after a score. You got one fukking job.
    Yeah Mac but it's a tough job. High Pressure. ain't easy man.

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16121

all players fukk up...not just kickers
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: seaborneq

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

A 35yard kick in ncaa power 5 school is 88.8%

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

Quote Originally Posted by RudyRuetigger View Post
    A 35yard kick in ncaa power 5 school is 88.8%
    A 36yarder is 67.4%

Id say they don't have enough stats

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

Miami should have tried to score. Virginia defense couldn’t stop anything. Plus they were losing. If tied, I can see going for the fg at the buzzer. If they score a td, they have to give up a td to lose

romecloneout
    romecloneout's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 489

Quote Originally Posted by TheMetsSuck View Post
    Blows my mind how bad college kickers are. I honest to god could start at most schools as a kicker. Played high level soccer most my life. I turned down a D1 pac 12 kicker opportunity. I was gambling like a fiend at the time. It would’ve been a real dicey situation .
    lol didnt know messi posted at sbr....lol unreal these fukkin guys

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19593

Quote Originally Posted by TheMetsSuck View Post
    Bottom line, if you are a kicker, you should go 90%+ from 40 yards and under. No excuses
    Easy to say in tne park witb three people watching, completely different in a real game; just like penalty kicks in soccer.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    Miami should have tried to score. Virginia defense couldn’t stop anything. Plus they were losing. If tied, I can see going for the fg at the buzzer. If they score a td, they have to give up a td to lose
    bad coaching ur right big thing was they were losing and lolly gagging down the field to set up a fg when they had a ton of time to score a td

jackpot269
    jackpot269's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8377

They lost because you never play for field goals with 1st down inside the 30 must less the 15 yard line with over a minute and half to play and 2 time outs!! When you play not to lose instead of playing to win you deserve to lose !!

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Teams would do better IF the kicker had more than one job. Nearly everyone else on any football team can do more than one thing except the QB and the kicker and also knows other teammates assignments and duties except the kicker. There would be less pressure on a kicker if he were playing on the field other than just showing up to kick. Everyone can multi task on the team except the kicker??? The DT can play DE, the guard can play tackle, the RB can run routes, the safety can cover a wr, the wr can take a handoff, etc. Why not have a position player who can actually kick the damn football, that way you don't have to worry about the yips because that guy has been in the flow of the game and a kick is just another play instead of feeling the pressure of the world to make a kick. Danny White used to punt and he was a weapon to punt or thrown any time he was back there. I know this can be done at the D1 and NFL level. Kickers have been blowing games since the beginning of time and this is a way to actually get someone to kick who actually has skin in the game. In a game of toughness and skill it makes no damn sense to depend on the worst athlete and most fragile player on the roster to win the game in ball busting time.
    Last edited by seaborneq; 10-01-21 at 04:08 PM.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Quote Originally Posted by Booya711 View Post
    all players fukk up...not just kickers
    Yes indeed. Kickers just don't add any value other than scoring. Other position players can make or miss a play too(missed tackle, dropped balls, fumbles, etc)

bigtymer56
    bigtymer56's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9047

Seems like any high pressure kick in college is a coin flip at best under 40 yards. Always amazed when coaches leave it up to the kicker. I'll take my chances with the backup qb everytime.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

oregon state's dumb coach just did the same thing. was moving the ball down the field with ease but then started wasting time to set up a 24 yd fg that the kicker barely placed inside the upright. only a matter of time before it blows up in his face

Day Game 216
    Day Game 216's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 50

I agree I hate seeing coaches go for Field Goals.

absolutely hate it, look at 2 games last week where going for the field goal cost the team the game

Oregon against Stanford

Miami against Virginia

both times coaches settled for a field goal try instead of being aggressive and it cost them the game

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Kickers one of most important parts of an nfl game

MinnesotaFats

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Kickers one of most important parts of an nfl game
    They are a part, of course, but you're game management should be, as Herm once said, to win the game.

Too many coaches are playing not to lose.

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM
    KiDBaZkiT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1291

I still can’t believe that slapdick for the Vikings shanked that chip shot in the playoffs against Seattle. Hawks were the luckiest team in the NFL for like 3 years in a row.

12 Last