carolinakid
    carolinakid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3661

Coinbase hacked

Coinbase customers up in arms after hackers drain crypto wallets

By Anthony Spadafora 20 days ago
    Another reason to store your crypto in a hardware wallet instead

(Image credit: Shutterstock)

An increasing number of users of the highly popular cryptocurrency exchange Coinbase have found their accounts on the platform empty after hackers managed to gain access to them and drain their cryptocurrency wallets.
    According to a new report from CNBC, the news outlet interviewed Coinbase customers across the US to discover thousands of customer complaints. For instance, one couple logged onto the service to discover that $168k in cryptocurrency had vanished after hackers were able to take over their account.
    To add insult to injury, the couple was unable to reach Coinbase for support after the incident occurred. While banks now employ live chat as well as email and telephones to provide customers support, the popular cryptocurrency company only responds to customers via email.

Although Coinbase did originally offer live chat for support, the feature was phased out around 2016 though according to a recent blog post, it plans to re-add live chat to its platform. Additionally, Coinbase plans to continue to expand its customer support team to better serve its customers.
    Account takeovers

If money is accidentally transferred out of your bank account to another account, you can easily call your bank to have the transaction reversed. However, the same can't be said for cryptocurrency ; once it's transferred off an exchange to a bank, there's no way to recover the lost funds.
    While using two-factor authentication (2FA) and a password manager can help secure your crypto accounts, cybercriminals have begun using SIM swapping as a means to take over accounts.
    For those unfamiliar, SIM swapping involves a cybercriminal taking control of a victim's phone number and SIM card through their mobile carrier. From here, they can then intercept 2FA codes sent via text message to take over a victim's other online accounts.
    These hacked Coinbase accounts are then sold on the Dark Web for anywhere between $100 and $150 according to Etay Maor from Cato Networks who spoke with CNBC.
    For this reason, if you don't plan on exchanging your crypto for cash anytime soon, it is recommended that you store your cryptocurrency in a hardware wallet like the Ledger Nano X or the Trezor Model T instead of leaving it on a cryptocurrency exchange. This way, hackers won't be able to steal your cryptocurrency without first breaking into your home or apartment
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: stake1

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

This is like 3 weeks old

And not really relevant

carolinakid

yes i just seen it today, but it is important as to show how you need to set up the wallet as to not get hack............you are not reading between the lines dude

MickeyMan
    MickeyMan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14295

Thanks slayer
    Points Awarded:

pablo222 gave MickeyMan 8 Betpoint(s) for this post.

TheMetsSuck
    TheMetsSuck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1482

What wallet do most of you guys use? I let my crypto rot on Gemini.

Bostongambler
    Bostongambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14380

Apollo 11 (July 16–24, 1969) was the spaceflight that first landed humans on the Moon. Commander Neil Armstrong and lunar module pilot Buzz Aldrin formed the American crew that landed the Apollo Lunar Module Eagle on July 20, 1969,

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11874

My Coinbase balance was never touched. That would piss me off if it was. You'd think Coinbase of all websites would have maximum security and fire walls in place..

Was it the Russians? .

bigtymer56
    bigtymer56's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9047

Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    yes i just seen it today, but it is important as to show how you need to set up the wallet as to not get hack............you are not reading between the lines dude
    Also, if you are using the exchanges make sure you use all the security options esp. the non SMS 2FA. Might be a pain the ass to put that code in everytime you access the site, but its probably worth it. Sim swaps still seem to be a problem.

carolinakid

guys you can always see what guys are jerks in threads and my guess they have been that way since grade school

stake1
    stake1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2438

Post#2 is from a check kiting troll

carolinakid

yes and number 6 as well...sad but true

chico2663
    chico2663's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6713

Haven t checked money in awhile. Thanks. Mu nephew set up where you have to take picture off my phone. Shouldn't I be safe?

carolinakid

you should be but hackers are smart for sure, heck i got a alert a while back that one of my account passwords has been found on the dark web and i wasted no time in changing it.

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

Flash drive wallets has and still the best option

pablo222
    pablo222's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25558

Quote Originally Posted by Bostongambler View Post
    Apollo 11 (July 16–24, 1969) was the spaceflight that first landed humans on the Moon. Commander Neil Armstrong and lunar module pilot Buzz Aldrin formed the American crew that landed the Apollo Lunar Module Eagle on July 20, 1969,

mngambler
    mngambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3057

lol nobody with half a brain keeps a significant amount of money on ANY exchange for more than a day...buy a Ledger, they're like $60 for christs sake

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

say you lose ledger>

Runeblade
    Runeblade's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    Coinbase customers up in arms after hackers drain crypto wallets

By Anthony Spadafora 20 days ago
    Another reason to store your crypto in a hardware wallet instead

(Image credit: Shutterstock)

An increasing number of users of the highly popular cryptocurrency exchange Coinbase have found their accounts on the platform empty after hackers managed to gain access to them and drain their cryptocurrency wallets.
    According to a new report from CNBC, the news outlet interviewed Coinbase customers across the US to discover thousands of customer complaints. For instance, one couple logged onto the service to discover that $168k in cryptocurrency had vanished after hackers were able to take over their account.
    To add insult to injury, the couple was unable to reach Coinbase for support after the incident occurred. While banks now employ live chat as well as email and telephones to provide customers support, the popular cryptocurrency company only responds to customers via email.

Although Coinbase did originally offer live chat for support, the feature was phased out around 2016 though according to a recent blog post, it plans to re-add live chat to its platform. Additionally, Coinbase plans to continue to expand its customer support team to better serve its customers.
    Account takeovers

If money is accidentally transferred out of your bank account to another account, you can easily call your bank to have the transaction reversed. However, the same can't be said for cryptocurrency ; once it's transferred off an exchange to a bank, there's no way to recover the lost funds.
    While using two-factor authentication (2FA) and a password manager can help secure your crypto accounts, cybercriminals have begun using SIM swapping as a means to take over accounts.
    For those unfamiliar, SIM swapping involves a cybercriminal taking control of a victim's phone number and SIM card through their mobile carrier. From here, they can then intercept 2FA codes sent via text message to take over a victim's other online accounts.
    These hacked Coinbase accounts are then sold on the Dark Web for anywhere between $100 and $150 according to Etay Maor from Cato Networks who spoke with CNBC.
    For this reason, if you don't plan on exchanging your crypto for cash anytime soon, it is recommended that you store your cryptocurrency in a hardware wallet like the Ledger Nano X or the Trezor Model T instead of leaving it on a cryptocurrency exchange. This way, hackers won't be able to steal your cryptocurrency without first breaking into your home or apartment
    Which is why I never keep any assets in coinbase. I just use them to move the money from my book to my bank account.

pablo222
    pablo222's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25558

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    say you lose ledger>
    The key to the coins is in the seed phrase. Not the hardware wallet itself.
    If you lose ledger you can use seed phrase to recover coins.

jimmy007oc
    jimmy007oc's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15064

I'm a victim of SIM swap. fortunately, the Google Authenticator saved my ass. Since then, I changed my phone number, turned off T-Mobile online access, every requests to my T-Mobile account will be over the phone, with a 6 digits codes set up in their system.

Also, if you use Coinbase or other exchanges, lets turn on the whitelist withdrawal option. It will delay the withdraw process from hackers up to 48hrs.

Again, don't use F2A, it's not safe. Google Authenticator is far better.

biggie12
    biggie12's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1276

safepal wallet is great. cheap and 100% cold storage

louisvillekid
    slummin it
    louisvillekid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3822

Quote Originally Posted by bigtymer56 View Post
    Also, if you are using the exchanges make sure you use all the security options esp. the non SMS 2FA. Might be a pain the ass to put that code in everytime you access the site, but its probably worth it. Sim swaps still seem to be a problem.
    What's a non SMS 2FA that I'd have enter a code? At first when you said "non" - I thought you meant like facial recognition, or thumb print. But then you said enter a code. So I'm confused/curious.

biggie12
    biggie12's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1276

Quote Originally Posted by louisvillekid View Post
    What's a non SMS 2FA that I'd have enter a code? At first when you said "non" - I thought you meant like facial recognition, or thumb print. But then you said enter a code. So I'm confused/curious.

he means using an authenticator app instead of getting sms code

louisvillekid
    slummin it

Isn't one of the selling points of these exchanges and digital wallets is the ability to earn decent interest on your crypto?

Wouldn't using a portable digital encrypted wallet take away that ability?

louisvillekid
    slummin it

Quote Originally Posted by biggie12 View Post
    he means using an authenticator app instead of getting sms code
    Gotcha. Appreciate it.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9204

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy007oc View Post
    I'm a victim of SIM swap. fortunately, the Google Authenticator saved my ass. Since then, I changed my phone number, turned off T-Mobile online access, every requests to my T-Mobile account will be over the phone, with a 6 digits codes set up in their system.

Also, if you use Coinbase or other exchanges, lets turn on the whitelist withdrawal option. It will delay the withdraw process from hackers up to 48hrs.

Again, don't use F2A, it's not safe. Google Authenticator is far better.
    Google Authenticator is a 2 Factor Authorization app (2FA).

If you leave funds with a third party like Coinbase, you deserve what you get for being so lazy looking after it.

But I don't like hardware wallets. Do not need something physical to lose, when all I need to access my funds anywhere is to know my seed phrase. If you can't protect that, you probably cant protect the hardware wallet either. Plus it gives you a false sense of security that may see you let your guard down easier.

And 2FA is a way for institutions like Coinbase to pass responsibility for hacks like this back onto the consumer. And barely provides any real protection. In fact it offers hackers an additional vector to attack. And I think sites that INSIST you use 2FA simply make all their customers a bigger target to be hacked.

onetrikpony
    onetrikpony's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2480

For its part, Coinbase emphasizes the trading platform itself has never sustained a breach by hackers. Moreover, Coinbase says, unauthorized transactions are rare. In 2020, just 0.004% of customers experienced transactions where their email accounts were taken over, SIM swaps attacks occurred on their cellphones, or other personal information unrelated to Coinbase was breached, according to Coinbase.

jimmy007oc

I'm ordering the Hardware yubikey, every time you log into your accounts, you would need this device plug into your usb to grant access to your accounts.

louisvillekid
    slummin it

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Google Authenticator is a 2 Factor Authorization app (2FA).

If you leave funds with a third party like Coinbase, you deserve what you get for being so lazy looking after it.

But I don't like hardware wallets. Do not need something physical to lose, when all I need to access my funds anywhere is to know my seed phrase. If you can't protect that, you probably cant protect the hardware wallet either. Plus it gives you a false sense of security that may see you let your guard down easier.

And 2FA is a way for institutions like Coinbase to pass responsibility for hacks like this back onto the consumer. And barely provides any real protection. In fact it offers hackers an additional vector to attack. And I think sites that INSIST you use 2FA simply make all their customers a bigger target to be hacked.
    How do you feel about the digital wallets that want your DL or Passport in order to get super verified, so that you can qualify to earn high APY on certain coins/tokens?
    Do you earn interest on crypto through any of the digital wallets? If so, do you have a fav?

jimmy007oc

How do you feel about the digital wallets that want your DL or Passport in order to get super verified, so that you can qualify to earn high APY on certain coins/tokens?
    Do you earn interest on crypto through any of the digital wallets? If so, do you have a fav?
    Buy Pancake then stake your coins for 85% APY. It's decentralized exchange, no KYC needed.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9204

I think anything where someone else has any control over your funds is risky.

But if you are staking obviously you are happy to take on some risk with that money anyway, so one extra layer is probably neither here nor there when it comes to that.

5ympathy
    5ympathy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1800

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy007oc View Post
    buy pancake then stake your coins for 85% apy. It's decentralized exchange, no kyc needed.
    85% apy??

louisvillekid
    slummin it

Quote Originally Posted by 5ympathy View Post
    85% apy??
    I've never done it, yet. I'm too skeptical. Lol

But on Trust wallet(or probably any similar wallet) at bottom tap on DApps, on Trust there are numerous. Choose Pancake swap, it'll redirect to Pancake, in top left the 3 lines(menu), choose Farms, or Pools, and look at the "alleged" APR/APY.

There are some absurd rates

bfl1000
    bfl1000's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2148

I thought all mobile carriers provided security pin. Any transaction I do that involves getting a new phone or sim card requires me to provide a security pin.

beantown34
    beantown34's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3348

whats going on with this?

im getting a payout and i only have a coinbase account

is it safe again?

12 Last