RoyBacon
    RoyBacon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15679

Quote Originally Posted by Roger T. Bannon View Post
    Actually, only A&M left because of they were mad at Texas. Nebraska got a better deal from the Big 10 so they left for the money. Colorado got in the Pac 12 because it did not want Baylor so they took Colorado as a pre-emptive action. Then the deal fell apart and they were stuck with them. Missouri just went along for the ride with A&M as a pair because they got more money.

I hope Texas just winds up going independent out of all this. That would be really interesting.
    Not the worse idea I ever heard actually.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

[QUOTE=RoyBacon;30430150]Be a great move. Players want to play in the SEC. Texas already has rivals in A&M and Bama.

I guess put them both in the west and move a couple to the east?

That SEC west will be a beast.[/QUOT
    I doubt if this happens at all before the 2025 season, but if it does, the SEC EAST will be the power, NOT the West. The two teams that shift from the West to the East are Alabama and Auburn.

Judge Crater
    Judge Crater's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 509

Texas last won the Big 12 in 2009.
    How many years until they win the SEC?
    They will be a middling team in the SEC forever.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Crater View Post
    2009??? Since Colt McCoy?? No way has Texas fallen that far.

Roger T. Bannon
    Roger T. Bannon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11760

This is all about making money not winning games. What do you not understand?

RoyBacon

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Crater View Post
    Like A&M and everyone else in the west until Saban retires. If Alabama goes it's wide open.

mjsuax13
    mjsuax13's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 817

Quote Originally Posted by RoyBacon View Post
    Like A&M and everyone else in the west until Saban retires. If Alabama goes it's wide open.
    Everybody has the same problem- Saban.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

This is all about making money not winning games. What do you not understand?
    So Texas would rather make what Vandy makes versus what Texas invests in its football team rather than have the entire pot of the Longhorn Network??

Roger T. Bannon

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    So Texas would rather make what Vandy makes versus what Texas invests in its football team rather than have the entire pot of the Longhorn Network??
    No, if Texas makes what Vandy makes, they are not going. They are planning on their joining the SEC making the pot bigger. They may drop the network in return. We will see how it plays out. This will be decided by what ESPN and CBS want. Not Texas A&M. A&M will get a phone call.

Roger T. Bannon

The Longhorn Network is ESPN's. If they want Texas in the conference with the network, they will probably get in. They will offer the SEC something in return. The bottom line is the TV contract is going way up with Texas. So ESPN is going to sit them all down and say here is your contract with Texas in the conference. Here is your contract without them. We'd like them in the conference as you can see.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11105

This is all a ploy for Texas to get more money in tv money. Nothing to see here. Texas ain't going nowhere. OU might bail but not UT.

and to think UT has not been relevant in most sports the last decade. They finally won the B12 tourney in basketball. The first ever. Think about that. Plus Vince Young is not coming in as QB. I don't see the big appeal for UT over an OU?

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    This is all a ploy for Texas to get more money in tv money. Nothing to see here. Texas ain't going nowhere. OU might bail but not UT.

and to think UT has not been relevant in most sports the last decade. They finally won the B12 tourney in basketball. The first ever. Think about that. Plus Vince Young is not coming in as QB. I don't see the big appeal for UT over an OU?
    I agree. OU and UT are mutually exclusive. OU is going to follow the money, UT doesn’t want to share its booty with anyone else and that includes Bama.

Roger T. Bannon

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post

I would not be too sure about that. The SEC has always wanted Texas. Texas has never wanted the SEC. Now they apparently are interested for the right price. They are the most powerful school in the country still even including Alabama.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

If you had your doubts about Oklahoma and Texas actually leaving....skipping the Big 12 meeting was flipping double birds to the conference. Wheels coming off

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

People keep asking me what happens to Longhorn Network. It’s my understanding if Texas goes to the SEC, LHN would be wound down and go away. Texas’ annual $15 million would come in the form of a new, blowout SEC TV deal.

Brian Davis - Covers the Texas Longhorns for the Austin American-Statesman.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    If you had your doubts about Oklahoma and Texas actually leaving....skipping the Big 12 meeting was flipping double birds to the conference. Wheels coming off
    What???? Is it Big 12 media days too this week?? I haven’t heard anything but SEC media days this week

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Source on Big 12 call tonight told
    @Stadium
    , league wants to know Texas & OU’s motivations to leave for SEC. “Is it financial? Or other issues? What would it take for them to stay?” Neither UT & OU participated on the call. Source added: “I don’t think it’s 100% they’re gone”

- Brett McMurphy, America’s College Football Insider, now at Stadium Network.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3447

Bit like what the bigtime Football Clubs in Europe tried to do. The fans put a stop to it pretty quick.

RoyBacon

Texas will make more over the long term in the SEC. Period.

Think of Tx playing A&M again. They can live without the Longhorn network if they are on national tv almost every week.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Mississippi State and Vandy walking in to attend the SEC's secret ceremony for Texas and Oklahoma…

RoyBacon

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    Mississippi State and Vandy walking in to attend the SEC's secret ceremony for Texas and Oklahoma…

mtneer1212
    mtneer1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

Quote Originally Posted by hostile takeover View Post
    Good point. Something's got to give.
    SEC Network and Longhorn network both owned and ran by ESPN. They will merge, but will be required to split the revenue 16 ways

mtneer1212
    mtneer1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

We also haven't heard from the governors of Texas and Oklahoma who will demand that Texas Tech and OK State be taken care of..... lots of state funding at risk.

Roger T. Bannon

Quote Originally Posted by mtneer1212 View Post
    We also haven't heard from the governors of Texas and Oklahoma who will demand that Texas Tech and OK State be taken care of..... lots of state funding at risk.
    Texas does not get in the way of that kind of money and neither does Oklahoma. Money talks.

Roger T. Bannon

Austin reporter is saying Big 12 insiders are saying this is done in a week and A&M is out of the loop. LOL at A&M.

Roger T. Bannon

Actually A&M has been in on it and will be voting yes. They just did not tell the AD.

Roger T. Bannon

ACC was preparing to offer Texas and Oklahoma membership along with Notre Dame but were not expecting the SEC to make a move so soon although it seems Texas decided the time was right. So if you are the SEC, do you want Texas and OU in your conference or the ACC with Notre Dame? That is your choice. That is why A&M will be voting yes.

RoyBacon

It’s hard to imagine the SEC voting down TX and Oklahoma.

I could see Texas taking an even more improved financial deal from the Big 12 to stay. Money talks.

But Tx and OK bring a lot to the party for the SEC. I’ll take a flyer on unanimous consent IF it gets to a vote.

Roger T. Bannon

Texas is out. They were not happy with the last deal and it was said then it would be the last for them and they would leave the conference. With these NIL deals, you need to be able to get your players paid and the best way to do that is to be in the SEC.

The only question now is where the rest wind up.

RoyBacon

Hope you’re right. Been waiting a long time for this.

Very interesting comment you had that Texas may opt to go independent.

I’m not sure they could get the schedule they want in the 2nd half of each season but it is an interesting idea.

Roger T. Bannon

Hope you’re right. Been waiting a long time for this.

Very interesting comment you had that Texas may opt to go independent.

I’m not sure they could get the schedule they want in the 2nd half of each season but it is an interesting idea.
    That probably would not be a problem because ESPN would schedule for them. They'd have BYU and Notre Dame and they could fill in with some smaller schools like Rice and UTEP.

West Virginia probably goes to the ACC. Texas Tech fits pretty good in the Pac 12 with Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah. Oklahoma State would probably slip in there. Kansas to the Big 10 maybe with Iowa State for scheduling. Baylor, TCU and Kansas State probably wind up in the American.

RoyBacon

That probably would not be a problem because ESPN would schedule for them. They'd have BYU and Notre Dame and they could fill in with some smaller schools like Rice and UTEP.

West Virginia probably goes to the ACC. Texas Tech fits pretty good in the Pac 12 with Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah. Oklahoma State would probably slip in there. Kansas to the Big 10 maybe with Iowa State for scheduling. Baylor, TCU and Kansas State probably wind up in the American.
    That's kind of my point. There will be huge big time games down the stretch in every conference and Texas will be playing UTEP on Thanksgiving Day???

The whole conference votes yea? Maybe there could be some reluctance from the teams in the east to take Auburn and Alabama? What motivation does a South Carolina have for that?

Roger T. Bannon

That's kind of my point. There will be huge big time games down the stretch in every conference and Texas will be playing UTEP on Thanksgiving Day???

The whole conference votes yea? Maybe there could be some reluctance from the teams in the east to take Auburn and Alabama? What motivation does a South Carolina have for that?
    It is the old SEC. They played them before. I'm not sure it is going to be two divisions anymore. They might go to three and do some rotation.

RoyBacon

It is the old SEC. They played them before. I'm not sure it is going to be two divisions anymore. They might go to three and do some rotation.
    Really? Hmmm.. Would complicate the ole conference championship game a bit.

If I'm in the east I'm giving this deal a bit of a Shaq-eye. That's one guaranteed loss and probably two.

Roger T. Bannon

Really? Hmmm.. Would complicate the ole conference championship game a bit.

If I'm in the east I'm giving this deal a bit of a Shaq-eye. That's one guaranteed loss and probably two.
    Could even be four. Go with the two best records maybe. Once you have second place teams playing in championships, it does not really matter anymore.

First 12345 Last