Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Question for Hockey Gurus: Why is VASILEVSKIY favored over KUCHEROV for Conn Smyth?

Kucherov is having one of the most historic playoffs in NHL history, only 2 guys ever (Gretzky and Lemeiux) have ever done what he's done. Vasilevsky been great, but not historic, but he is a big favorite. Looking for some expert clarity here.

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19593

Big bet on Vasilevsky from one of the voters with inside info; remember that you're betting on an election with only a few hundred voters.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

The goalie is more important. He is the one taking pucks at his chest and body. And he doesn't sit for the whole game. The other players get to sit on the bench when their shift is over.

Unrivaled
    Unrivaled's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5234

I would give it to Vasilevsky personally.

Take away Vasilevsky and Florida beats them round 1.

Take away Kucherov and the Lightning likely still make the finals.

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    The goalie is more important. He is the one taking pucks at his chest and body. And he doesn't sit for the whole game. The other players get to sit on the bench when their shift is over.
    So based on that theory, no would should ever win the Conn Smythe outside of a goalie? Kucherov is doing something only 2 guys in history have ever done. Doesn't really make sense to me.

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by Unrivaled View Post
    I would give it to Vasilevsky personally.

Take away Vasilevsky and Florida beats them round 1.

Take away Kucherov and the Lightning likely still make the finals.
    Take away his 30+ points and highly doubt they make it out of the 2nd round. You can't just replace that amount of points in hockey with a bench player.

Anyway, just my opinion. Guess we'll see what the voters say.

Unrivaled

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    So based on that theory, no would should ever win the Conn Smythe outside of a goalie? Kucherov is doing something only 2 guys in history have ever done. Doesn't really make sense to me.
    Depends on the circumstances. Vasilevsky has been really good.

Unrivaled

Take away his 30+ points and highly doubt they make it out of the 2nd round. You can't just replace that amount of points in hockey with a bench player.

Kucherov may win but it should go to Vasilevsky.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1836

The odds are about even...

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    The odds are about even...
    I see vas at -225 and kuch at +130

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6470

Question for Hockey Gurus: Why is VASILEVSKIY favored over KUCHEROV for Conn Smyth?

Tonight's game answered that question

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by swordsandtequila View Post

Getting tired of the goalie narrative in hockey. Ppl thinking goals allowed are just a product of goaltending. Not even close. Not hard to give up a couple goals a game when you have all world defenders in front of you.

Unrivaled

Getting tired of the goalie narrative in hockey. Ppl thinking goals allowed are just a product of goaltending. Not even close. Not hard to give up a couple goals a game when you have all world defenders in front of you.
    Yes, but Vasilevsky was the best goalie in the playoffs.

They likely loss to Florida with even goaltending.

WireWire
    bRoKe DiK pRo
    WireWire's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 32027

They wont give it to a guy who didn't play a game in the regular season it's just how it is never has happened in NHL history, Kuch was good but Vas deserved it.

BarkingToad
    BarkingToad's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19211

5 shutouts in playoffs and only goalie to ever get shutout in all 4 series closers will get Conn Smyth.

nyplayer33
    nyplayer33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Shutouts in.playoffs.

nyplayer33
    nyplayer33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Kucherov is having one of the most historic playoffs in NHL history, only 2 guys ever (Gretzky and Lemeiux) have ever done what he's done. Vasilevsky been great, but not historic, but he is a big favorite. Looking for some expert clarity here.
    Not historic ?? He has shutout the opponent in each series win in playoffs..4 out ofv4

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine

As a Tampa resident and fan since day one, we love Kucherov, Point, etc. and understand how great they are. But goaltender is right next to quarterback as the most important position in sports. Of course it's a team game, but you ain't winning shit with an average guy in net. Kucherov is one of the best players in the league, arguably top 5 or so. Vasilevskiy is the best goaltender in the WORLD.

Goat Milk

Well he's playing behind all-world defenders. He's probably the best goalie in the NHL too. But for the best player in the league not to win the Conn Smyth after being the best player on his team for 2 cups, and arguably the best player in the world both years, is unexcusable. All the best players on their teams have won this award. Crosby. Ovechkin. Kane. Zetterberg. Etc. Going back to Lemieux and Gretzky etc.

Just seems odd for Hedmen to get the 1st and now Vas to get the 2nd and Kucherov doesn't get 1 of them? Very weird if you ask me.

It's way harder to be a Kucherov type player than it is to be a Vas type goalie. Goalies like that come around very often. If you put Carey Price on the Tampa team, he would get all the same stats as well. So would several goalies. Remember Jonathon Quick when he played behind that Kings defense? Just a ton of great goalies in the league on medicore teams, not a ton of true superstar players.

Give it to the superstar players. Enough of this goalie bufoonery.

A goalie isn't even a real hockey player. Just like a goalie in soccer isn't even a real soccer player.

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14709

Ron Hextal won it in the 80’s

……and he didn’t even win the cup.

im surprised they didn’t just give it to Price

what a useless award

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by Jayvegas420 View Post
    Ron Hextal won it in the 80’s

……and he didn’t even win the cup.

im surprised they didn’t just give it to Price

what a useless award
    Definitely feels useless to me after tampa's best player didn't get it two years in a row. Media suckering everyone into believing that the goalies are the face of the franchise lol.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine

Well he's playing behind all-world defenders. He's probably the best goalie in the NHL too. But for the best player in the league not to win the Conn Smyth after being the best player on his team for 2 cups, and arguably the best player in the world both years, is unexcusable. All the best players on their teams have won this award. Crosby. Ovechkin. Kane. Zetterberg. Etc. Going back to Lemieux and Gretzky etc.

Just seems odd for Hedmen to get the 1st and now Vas to get the 2nd and Kucherov doesn't get 1 of them? Very weird if you ask me.

It's way harder to be a Kucherov type player than it is to be a Vas type goalie. Goalies like that come around very often. If you put Carey Price on the Tampa team, he would get all the same stats as well. So would several goalies. Remember Jonathon Quick when he played behind that Kings defense? Just a ton of great goalies in the league on medicore teams, not a ton of true superstar players.

Give it to the superstar players. Enough of this goalie bufoonery.

A goalie isn't even a real hockey player. Just like a goalie in soccer isn't even a real soccer player.
    Your opinion, that's fine. It's wrong, but fine. Hockey ain't basketball. Anybody that's ever played the game will tell you so. If they held a draft tomorrow, everything equal with no caps on salary, etc. every gm in the league would take Vasilevskiy first, or be fired. Fact. Kucherov's great, but a lot of people thought Braden Point should have won the Conn Smythe last year. Bolts cruised into the playoffs without Kucherov, same wouldn't be true if Vasilevskiy was out all year.

Goat Milk

Your opinion, that's fine. It's wrong, but fine. Hockey ain't basketball. Anybody that's ever played the game will tell you so. If they held a draft tomorrow, everything equal with no caps on salary, etc. every gm in the league would take Vasilevskiy first, or be fired. Fact. Kucherov's great, but a lot of people thought Braden Point should have won the Conn Smythe last year. Bolts cruised into the playoffs without Kucherov, same wouldn't be true if Vasilevskiy was out all year.
    I think they would have just filled him with someone else tbh. Didn't Crosby and Malkin win 3 cups with Fluery? He was always a good goalie, nothing amazing. Plenty have teams have won cups with just solid goalies. Especially historic teams like Tampa with that much legendary firepower. If I have a draft, and everyone in today's hockey is in their prime and the same age, there is absolutely no chance I'm taking Vasilevskiy over Sidney Crosby. 0%.

You can be the best goalie in the world and never win a stanley cup. Lundqvist is probably the best goalie of this era. Did he ever win a cup? I don't think so. I remember him getting to the finals once and I believe they lost.

But the best actual players, they always win stanley cups. The best two players of this era are Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin. Both have cups.

champlain
    champlain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4860

Look at the playoff stats, Kucherov has 9 more points than the second guy. Point has 6 more goals than the second place. I value what is hard to find and that’s guys who can create offense. Don’t forget, this is voted by people who has bias like you and me. They will vote for players they like. I remember Crosby won the conn Smythe over Phil Kessel when Kessel had more goals and more points and Crosby didn’t even score in the finals.

I think it’s easier for goalies to post great stats in the playoffs when the game gets tighter, the refs swallow the whistle and you can basically assault anybody in front of the net or on the boards.

Luv2Play2
    Luv2Play2's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 225

they got there wthout him for the whole yr..

Luv2Play2

Luv2Play2

I think they would have just filled him with someone else tbh. Didn't Crosby and Malkin win 3 cups with Fluery? He was always a good goalie, nothing amazing. Plenty have teams have won cups with just solid goalies. Especially historic teams like Tampa with that much legendary firepower. If I have a draft, and everyone in today's hockey is in their prime and the same age, there is absolutely no chance I'm taking Vasilevskiy over Sidney Crosby. 0%.

You can be the best goalie in the world and never win a stanley cup. Lundqvist is probably the best goalie of this era. Did he ever win a cup? I don't think so. I remember him getting to the finals once and I believe they lost.

But the best actual players, they always win stanley cups. The best two players of this era are Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin. Both have cups.
    im a tbay res. also.. i can tell you this!!! not 1 i mean not " 1 " bolt player has a problem wth the vote outcome !!!!!

Luv2Play2

here is what happens when a goalie does not produce. !!!! CBJ sweep ..