Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24876

12 Team College Football Playoff??

Top 4 seeds would get a bye.

Seeds 5-8 would host home games against seeds 9-12.

They're talkin...

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

The only roadblock I see is teams 1-4 missing out on a home game, which generates massive revenue for the schools.

Everything else is good though. The group of five is guaranteed a team (6 conference champions, 6 at large).

The bowls are predicated on fans being able to travel. This way, they dont get involved until the semifinals and over a holiday at least.
    Last edited by thetrinity; 06-11-21 at 07:26 AM.

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM
    KiDBaZkiT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1291

It will happen. More $ for those sick evil f****

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

^^ of course it will, you can only add never subtract, well except for a virus leaking

the virus is actually part of it, they want to make up for lost money

navyblue81
    navyblue81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6657

I personally think it’s too many. I thought 6 was a good number. Maybe 8. I am just worrying about it watering down the regular season some. I used to love championship weekend but if no. 1 Bama is playing no. 5 Florida in the sec title game, no one is gonna care.

But the tournament part will no doubt be fun and can’t wait for it. It’s definitely a big win for the little schools like UCF and Coastal Carolina who now will have a shot.

boscokid
    boscokid's Avatar SBR PRO

Obviously NCAA football should have 32 automatic bids, 32 at large bids and 4 play-in games.

Play two games a week Thu/Sat Fri/Sun so they should be able to wrap up in several weeks. If one of your players drops dead on the field its automatic forfeit

johnnyvegas13
    johnnyvegas13's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 182

Not gonna happen

any kid w nfl future does not wanna play these gms

boscokid

Actually on 2nd thought having a player drop dead should be automatic win. That way we get stories of victory instead of tragedy, plus we would get the inevitable outcome of teams poisoning their own players championship week hoping to score a forfeit win.

boscokid

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyvegas13 View Post
    Not gonna happen

any kid w nfl future does not wanna play these gms

Are we the only civilization in history that has given slave labor a choice if they want to work or not? Just cut Goodell in for a billion or so and they can make a rule that not playing in our new playoff setup makes you ineligible for the NFL

"morality is only determined by the number of zeros in the payoff" - boscokid

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM
    KiDBaZkiT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1291

Quote Originally Posted by navyblue81 View Post
    I personally think it’s too many.
    I agree. No doubt in my mind though it will expand.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

like it

Roger T. Bannon
    Roger T. Bannon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11760

You can't water down playoffs enough. Fans love them. They will watch anything titled playoffs.

Originally it was proposed for 16 teams so you knew that is where they would go. That was too much to start. They wanted to work people into the idea.
    Points Awarded:

Mac4Lyfe gave Roger T. Bannon 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

johnnyvegas13
    johnnyvegas13's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 182

This is y nfl is best sport

reg season is basically the playoffs

all others reg season is mostly meaningless

Roger T. Bannon

They should turn the whole season into a huge playoff. You pair up teams and have consolation rounds and round robins and eventually the same team comes out on top. People would love it. Everybody gets in the playoffs and has a chance to win.

LongBall52
    LongBall52's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2374

Won't happen at the earliest before 2023. I like more meaning full game.
    Points Awarded:

Mac4Lyfe gave LongBall52 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Eddy Munny

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyvegas13 View Post
    This is y nfl is best sport

reg season is basically the playoffs

all others reg season is mostly meaningless
    Huh? That makes no sense.

If NFL regular season games are "basically the playoffs" then explain to me how Eli Manning has two Super Bowl rings?

It's the NCAAF's regular season that carries the most importance on a per week basis because the current format only allows four teams to crack the playoffs, thus you gotta keep your nose pretty clean in the regular season to have any shot at the title.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

This is going to make the regular season better. Teams will stop playing citadel and furman. I think it would be better to do the play in and quarterfinals on campus before Christmas then keep it all the same. The time frame could get messy IMO. If you do that way, all top 8 would get a home game
    Points Awarded:

Mac4Lyfe gave thetrinity 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

I can’t see bowls being too happy with mid January games

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11101

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    I can’t see bowls being too happy with mid January games
    The games should be part of the bowls. That way the bowls will have huge interest. I think the 1st week should be on the higher seeded teams campus but from then on, the games should be played at bowl sites. Those bowl games would be HUGE.

The current system has killed the bowls. No one wants to travel for a meaningless game. Players don't even want to play in these worthless bowls. It's all about the playoffs. A kid is not sitting out of a playoff game, no way in hell. Immediately, EVERYONE is more interested.

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7763

One way to look at it as a positive for the regular season is a team isn’t completely out of playoff contention just because they get an early loss.

I do have nervousness about this whole thing but I can see it being good.

Another potential positive, and I don’t know if there’s anything to this or not, but maybe we see programs and boosters step up to the plate more since they’re not just having to compete against the same 3-4 schools every year to make the playoffs. Hope may open some pocketbooks maybe, could be a stretch but who knows

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11101

I personally think it’s too many. I thought 6 was a good number. Maybe 8. I am just worrying about it watering down the regular season some. I used to love championship weekend but if no. 1 Bama is playing no. 5 Florida in the sec title game, no one is gonna care.
    But the tournament part will no doubt be fun and can’t wait for it. It’s definitely a big win for the little schools like UCF and Coastal Carolina who now will have a shot.
    Are you kidding me? The SEC title game would decide which team gets home field advantage in the playoffs, maybe a first round bye. The game will still be huge. The regular season would be much more important as well. A mid level Florida team playing a mid level FSU team could have huge implications of one of them getting into the top 12. Losing 2 or 3 conference games or OOC games and you are basically eliminated in the regular season.

This is not the NFL where you have 32 teams. There's 125 teams in CFB. Most years, you're going to have at least 50 teams vying for the top 12.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

I’m going to map this out later but the nfl will own 3 straight saturdays in January (week 17 doubleheader, wild card Saturday, division Saturday) so it might be best keep as much of this in December as they can. Otherwise I love 12 as the playoff field

Roger T. Bannon

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    The games should be part of the bowls. That way the bowls will have huge interest. I think the 1st week should be on the higher seeded teams campus but from then on, the games should be played at bowl sites. Those bowl games would be HUGE.

The current system has killed the bowls. No one wants to travel for a meaningless game. Players don't even want to play in these worthless bowls. It's all about the playoffs. A kid is not sitting out of a playoff game, no way in hell. Immediately, EVERYONE is more interested.
    It is not going to change people sitting out. High schoolers are starting to sit out their senior year. The only way you are going to get people to not sit out is to pay them. They are not risking a knee injury in what is still a meaningless game. These teams are getting eliminated and the players are taking huge risks to get coaches paid.

This NIL stuff may change things more. It will be interesting to see if players are getting paid by Nike, maybe Nike wants them in the bowl game. Probably they are going to think they are more valuable as pros.

navyblue81
    navyblue81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6657

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    Are you kidding me? The SEC title game would decide which team gets home field advantage in the playoffs, maybe a first round bye. The game will still be huge. The regular season would be much more important as well. A mid level Florida team playing a mid level FSU team could have huge implications of one of them getting into the top 12. Losing 2 or 3 conference games or OOC games and you are basically eliminated in the regular season.

This is not the NFL where you have 32 teams. There's 125 teams in CFB. Most years, you're going to have at least 50 teams vying for the top 12.
    The players will care. What I mean is the fans won’t care as much. It just won’t have the same feel as it would in the past when the SEC title game was basically a playoff game. Now its like “well these two teams will get in anyway. Oh well.”

I think it makes more sense to give 1-4 a home game after the bye to add more incentive for finishing in the top 4. But it doesn’t sound like they’re gonna do that.

Roger T. Bannon

When it comes to the Weedeater Bowl, they only play those games for one reason and that is for betting. If a line is going to be on the bowl, ESPN will put it on TV and people will watch it. And if people will watch it, they will play it.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

The players will care. What I mean is the fans won’t care as much. It just won’t have the same feel as it would in the past when the SEC title game was basically a playoff game. Now its like “well these two teams will get in anyway. Oh well.”

I think it makes more sense to give 1-4 a home game after the bye to add more incentive for finishing in the top 4. But it doesn’t sound like they’re gonna do that.
    Definitely a lot of kinks in the plan. 1-4 not having a home game and 5-8 having one is a massive one.
    Points Awarded:

Mac4Lyfe gave thetrinity 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Eddy Munny

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    Definitely a lot of kinks in the plan. 1-4 not having a home game and 5-8 having one is a massive one.
    Why is it important for seeds 1-4 to have a home game? Strictly for revenue? Because from a competitive vantage point it's one less game you have to play, one more week of film you get to study, one less chance of injury to key players etc.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Munny View Post
    Huh? That makes no sense.

If NFL regular season games are "basically the playoffs" then explain to me how Eli Manning has two Super Bowl rings?

It's the NCAAF's regular season that carries the most importance on a per week basis because the current format only allows four teams to crack the playoffs, thus you gotta keep your nose pretty clean in the regular season to have any shot at the title.
    Agreed.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Eddie, do you want an expanded playoffs?

Sounds like you approve.

Eddy Munny

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    Eddie, do you want an expanded playoffs?

Sounds like you approve.
    Yeah but I'm surprised they jumped to 12 teams... I figured 6-8 would be the next logical move.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Munny View Post
    Yeah but I'm surprised they jumped to 12 teams... I figured 6-8 would be the next logical move.
    I have very few thoughts on it, I just need to see the rotation and lines within the context of the structure, that's all I care about, whatever the strucutre.

But the jump is one thing I did think about...lol.

They must be looking to take a big bite, the pandemic cost everyone a shit ton. Major schools slashing many of their athletic programs for good because they didn't get football revenue to pay for it.

Tough situation and they are adapting.

209 Life
    Off to BMR. Deuces
    209 Life's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6750

Automatic bid to all power 5 conference champs, 2 automatic bids to MWC & AAC conference champ. Rest at-large

Art Vandelay
    Corona on St. Pats... WTF!
    Art Vandelay's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 57669

Bout time! Should have happened years ago. Bitching will be minor - If you're not one of the top 12 teams, no one to blame but yourselves - ample opportunity to get in. Much different if only 4 get in, then 5 & 6 could have a legit complaint. Bring it on!
    Points Awarded:

Mac4Lyfe gave Art Vandelay 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Hit the nail on the head. 8 is perfect. Leaving it out to 12.... always some punk team that went undefeated or something from some mickey mouse school. We don't need that crap.

Also, 8 would be perfect... especially when we believe some teams ranked #5 and #6 should of been ranked #4th to get into the regular playoff. So... that would stop teams from bitching. 8 is perfect. 12 is bullsh#$.

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20361

Quote Originally Posted by KiDBaZkiT View Post
    It will happen. More $ for those sick evil f****
    More $ for those of us that know how to bet college football. Bring it on! The more the merrier!

12 Last