Unrivaled
    Unrivaled's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5234

Montreal Canadiens have more losses than wins and made the Semi Finals

What more can you say other than the Canadian division is pathetic.

This is hilarious.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

They need to reduce the teams that make the playoffs so that they will earn the playoff births on the ring.

hotcross
    hotcross's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7208

rare, but it has happened before.........

1991 Minnesota North Stars

After finishing fourth in a Norris Division that had two awesome teams (Chicago and St. Louis) and three average-to-awful ones (Detroit, Minnesota and Toronto), the 27-39-14 North Stars (.425 points percentage) went on an absurd run.

The fact they beat a Blackhawks team that finished 38 points ahead of them is pretty well known in hockey lore as one of the biggest first-round whackings in history. You know what they did in Round 2? Beat a Blues team that finished 37 points ahead of them in the same number of games — six — it took to dust Chicago.

Minny only needed five games to win the conference final, knocking off an Edmonton team that had won the Stanley Cup 12 months prior. And then in the Final, they held a 2-1 series lead on Mario Lemieux and Co., before the Penguins ripped off three straight wins. Things finally caught up to them in the end, as Pittsburgh clinched the Cup with an 8-0 victory in Game 6.

1982 Vancouver Canucks

Despite finishing with a 30-33-17 mark, the Canucks actually placed second in the Smythe Division behind the second-best team in the league, the Edmonton Oilers. And when that 111-point Oilers squad lost to a 63-point Los Angeles Kings club in the first round, the road to the Final was wide open in a Campbell Conference where just two of 11 squads posted a winning record.

Vancouver only lost two games en route to the Final and never faced a .500-or-better club on the path. Unfortunately, the dynastic New York Islanders — who emerged from a conference where seven of 10 teams finished above .500 — were waiting in the Final and swept coach Roger Neilson and his charges.

By the way, another team was the 1994 Canucks that came painfully close to beating Mark Messier and the Rangers could also be on this list. That outfit was 41-40-3 (84 games) before catching fire in the post-season.
    Points Awarded:

MinnesotaFats gave hotcross 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Unrivaled

What will the odds be next series?

Vegas and Colorado both have to be around -1200 to beat the Habs.

That's the only way I'd consider taking them.

hotcross
    hotcross's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7208

MTL just came back from 3-1 against Leafs, then won in a sweep vs WPG, so 7 wins in a row

Books will give them a lot of credit for recent form

thomorino
    thomorino's Avatar Become A Pro!

A goal tender that gets hot is the great equalizer in the nhl playoffs

Unrivaled

Quote Originally Posted by hotcross View Post
    MTL just came back from 3-1 against Leafs, then won in a sweep vs WPG, so 7 wins in a row

Books will give them a lot of credit for recent form
    Leafs we know are not a real team. Plus they were missing the 2 top players and still heavily outplayed them with Price stealing the series.

Jets are awful we know, and without Scheiffele a bottom 5 team in the league.

Colorado and Vegas will dismantle these smurfs.

thomorino

Quote Originally Posted by Unrivaled View Post
    Leafs we know are not a real team. Plus they were missing the 2 top players and still heavily outplayed them with Price stealing the series.

Jets are awful we know, and without Scheiffele a bottom 5 team in the league.

Colorado and Vegas will dismantle these smurfs.
    Obviously Colorado and Vegas are both much better than Montreal, but with the way Price is playing no one is going to dominate this Montreal team

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Quote Originally Posted by hotcross View Post
    rare, but it has happened before.........

1991 Minnesota North Stars

After finishing fourth in a Norris Division that had two awesome teams (Chicago and St. Louis) and three average-to-awful ones (Detroit, Minnesota and Toronto), the 27-39-14 North Stars (.425 points percentage) went on an absurd run.

The fact they beat a Blackhawks team that finished 38 points ahead of them is pretty well known in hockey lore as one of the biggest first-round whackings in history. You know what they did in Round 2? Beat a Blues team that finished 37 points ahead of them in the same number of games — six — it took to dust Chicago.

Minny only needed five games to win the conference final, knocking off an Edmonton team that had won the Stanley Cup 12 months prior. And then in the Final, they held a 2-1 series lead on Mario Lemieux and Co., before the Penguins ripped off three straight wins. Things finally caught up to them in the end, as Pittsburgh clinched the Cup with an 8-0 victory in Game 6.

1982 Vancouver Canucks

Despite finishing with a 30-33-17 mark, the Canucks actually placed second in the Smythe Division behind the second-best team in the league, the Edmonton Oilers. And when that 111-point Oilers squad lost to a 63-point Los Angeles Kings club in the first round, the road to the Final was wide open in a Campbell Conference where just two of 11 squads posted a winning record.

Vancouver only lost two games en route to the Final and never faced a .500-or-better club on the path. Unfortunately, the dynastic New York Islanders — who emerged from a conference where seven of 10 teams finished above .500 — were waiting in the Final and swept coach Roger Neilson and his charges.

By the way, another team was the 1994 Canucks that came painfully close to beating Mark Messier and the Rangers could also be on this list. That outfit was 41-40-3 (84 games) before catching fire in the post-season.
    That 91 run was incredible for the Stars

They were up 2 games to 1 vs Pitt AND had a 3-1 lead in gm 4 I think....blew it

Then they moved to Dallas

I hate Dallas

Still wear my green Basil McCrea jersey

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

I can't believe how many times I had MTL just outside the trigger ranges, didn't buy, and they win.

Discipline, essential to long term winning in gambling, can also cost you over the short term.

Good work Montreal, hat's off to you.

MinnesotaFats

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    I can't believe how many times I had MTL just outside the trigger ranges, didn't buy, and they win.

Discipline, essential to long term winning in gambling, can also cost you over the short term.

Good work Montreal, hat's off to you.

Yes good for Montreal.

Let's talk about the 91 stars and drinking Special Export tall boys at Met Center

Who's w me here??

Sobob99
    Sobob99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1234

Just a byproduct of the weird format they've had to go with this year.

hehfest
    Tom, What do I do now?
    hehfest's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4190

Quote Originally Posted by Sobob99 View Post
    Just a byproduct of the weird format they've had to go with this year.
    That's right! Montreal ends up playing Carolina first round not Toronto. If they beat Carolina they get Tampa next........enough said!

Normally, a Canadian team doesn't make semi's. In a way, they have something to root for this late into the playoffs which is nice. They need to correct the financial imbalance on why Canadian teams are not as competitive.

MinnesotaFats

Quote Originally Posted by hehfest View Post
    That's right! Montreal ends up playing Carolina first round not Toronto. If they beat Carolina they get Tampa next........enough said!

Normally, a Canadian team doesn't make semi's. In a way, they have something to root for this late into the playoffs which is nice. They need to correct the financial imbalance on why Canadian teams are not as competitive.
    ...not enough Special Export tall boys...

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Canada is an utter embarassment to what should purely be an American sport.

I realize they produce actual hockey players, but in terms of how they run their organizations, they are abysmal.

That's why the Raptors have always been trash until the one year they were able to attract a star free agent.

America is the epicenter for all athletics besides soccer, period.

If America wanted to focus on soccer, they'd also dick smack the rest of the world as well.

When is the last time Canada even won a stanley cup? I don't even remember, nor is it worth my time to even look up. Pathetic considering how many teams they have, and none of them are good. Montreal fukking sucks. I don't care if they're in the semi finals. They are not winning a stanley cup either.

thomorino

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post

I realize they produce actual hockey players, but in terms of how they run their organizations, they are abysmal.

That's why the Raptors have always been trash until the one year they were able to attract a star free agent.

If America wanted to focus on soccer, they'd also dick smack the rest of the world as well.

When is the last time Canada even won a stanley cup? I don't even remember, nor is it worth my time to even look up. Pathetic considering how many teams they have, and none of them are good. Montreal fukking sucks. I don't care if they're in the semi finals. They are not winning a stanley cup either.
    The Raptors have been one of the best run franchises for years, before they got Kawhi.

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20457

• A wild card team appeared in the World Series each year from 2002 to 2007.

Allure
    Allure's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15121

Good for them

However sweeping Winnifags is nothing to brag about. They will now get swept by whomever they Play next

BarkingToad
    BarkingToad's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19211

Joel Edmundson has always been a winner, and Price has always been a top level goalie. Highly unlikely they win next series though.

goduke
    goduke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2270

You are basing their success strictly on a regular season schedule playing only teams in Canada. It’s just a skewed way to look at it.
    Maybe their regular season record would be better or to whatever acceptable number you would like if they got to beat on Buffalo, Anaheim, Jersey, San Jose and the kings all season.
    This roster has a ton of players with big time playoff experience and those players are coming through along with a goaltender who for most of his career has had the talent and has won MVP which has only been done once in the 2000s outside of him. You might just hate this team and that’s why you are so skewed looking at it

goduke

Quote Originally Posted by Allure View Post
    Good for them

However sweeping Winnifags is nothing to brag about. They will now get swept by whomever they Play next
    Can absolutely guarantee they won’t get swept. Ludicrous statement

goduke

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post

Goat you realize there’s 7 out of 31 nhl teams that are in Canada right? And that some of the best all time hockey players are from Canada that play on nhl teams right? This isn’t a recruiting league, players from Canada are littered throughout. The basis that because hockey is played more in Canada due to the cold weather doesn’t translate into Canada nhl teams should be dominating the cup.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Every once in a while this happens but usually best teams win cup like all other sports

stevek173
    stevek173's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5964

Except that they finished 24-21-11 so more wins than losses

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by stevek173 View Post

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by goduke View Post
    Goat you realize there’s 7 out of 31 nhl teams that are in Canada right? And that some of the best all time hockey players are from Canada that play on nhl teams right? This isn’t a recruiting league, players from Canada are littered throughout. The basis that because hockey is played more in Canada due to the cold weather doesn’t translate into Canada nhl teams should be dominating the cup.
    Yeah, Canada produces some amazing players. But I'm just saying the way they run their organizations, I don't understand it. How can an entire country be this bad at running pro sports teams, I don't get it. There's just something missing. When is the last time one of those 7 teams won a Stanley Cup? If there's 7 teams, you should be winning 1 out of every 4 or 5 years. Maybe things will start to change.

Goat Milk

Quote Originally Posted by thomorino View Post
    The Raptors have been one of the best run franchises for years, before they got Kawhi.
    How do you figure? They drafted Tmac and let him go -- probably one of the worst mistakes in nba history. They drafted Carter and never did anything with him, he left. They drafted Bosh, did nothing with him. They were fortunate to win that title. That's an astrick next to that title. No KD who would have dominated Leonard. No Klay in the last game. Cousins tore his minescus in the series prior, battled through it. All that, and the Raptors barely won game 6 when Curry missed the game winner.

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19593

The 2011-12 Kings went 40-27-15, got the 8th seed and won the cup.

Unrivaled

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHorseplayer View Post
    The 2011-12 Kings went 40-27-15, got the 8th seed and won the cup.
    Way different situation. They sucked and then made 2 mega trades for Carter and Richard's. They also hired a top 10 coach in NHL history.

They were clearly the best team when playoffs started, they dominated.

Unrivaled

So 24-32...

stevek173
    Betpoints: 5964

Oh my bad

Carry on

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1830

What will the odds be next series?

Vegas and Colorado both have to be around -1200 to beat the Habs.

That's the only way I'd consider taking them.
    No hockey series will ever be like that.
    They'll be -400 at most.

RockBottom
    RockBottom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22623

Montreal will not get blessed facing another short-handed team. There is a lot to be said for having a hot goalie though.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

So 24-32...

Oh my bad

Carry on
    lol

stevek173