Roger T. Bannon
    Roger T. Bannon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11760

Computer question--What the hell is HDMI???

My computer quit working and it was an old computer. I got a pretty decent computer from a lady off Craigslist which I am now trying to get to work.

I am presently accessing the internet through a laptop I am borrowing. I am accessing the internet through a cable modem. However, the computer I acquired has an HDMI port. My access to the internet appears to be through the HDMI port which does not support the cable modem.

In order to access the internet right now I have to use the power supply from the old computer and its elaborate series of cables to connect to the modem successfully. I then run the ethernet cable to the laptop from the modem

How the hell do you get internet with an HDMI port? All I have is a basic cable that sticks into the back of the computer. The old computer had an elaborate series of power banks which support the power for the cable modem.

I have no clue right now and can barely figure out how I have this damn laptop working.

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

sorry i deleted my answer. i am not savvy enough. never used HDMI except to connect my cable box to my tv or my CPU to a tv.

Roger T. Bannon

I assumed all computers worked the same way. I forgot how elaborate this power supply is on the old computer. I think I cannot use this computer with cable. I called the cable company and they had no clue what I was talking about.

LongBall52
    LongBall52's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2374

Quote Originally Posted by Roger T. Bannon View Post
    I assumed all computers worked the same way. I forgot how elaborate this power supply is on the old computer. I think I cannot use this computer with cable. I called the cable company and they had no clue what I was talking about.
    No clue here either. I thought HDMI was just for televisions..Must be wrong

dmm
    dmm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4116

Hey Roger, it's possible to transmit data over HDMI, but not ideal.

Is the computer you bought from Craigslist a desktop or laptop? Does it have an Ethernet port? Most desktops will have one. It looks like a phone jack, but larger.

Roger T. Bannon

The thing is the laptop would not work either. I think most people use wireless for laptops.

Roger T. Bannon

Yes, it has an ethernet port. The problem is the power supply for the modem. Desktop.

Roger T. Bannon

You can take your ethernet and connect to the computer and you can connect the ethernet to the modem, But you have no way of powering the modem. A modem comes assuming you have a power source from the computer.

pologq

Connect your modem. ... To connect it to your computer, plug one end of an Ethernet cable into the Ethernet or LAN port on the back of your modem, then plug the other end into the Ethernet port on the back of your computer. Your modem should come with an Ethernet cable, but any old Ethernet cable will do.

Connect one end of the coaxial cable to the cable wall outlet, then connect the other end to the modem. Connect the modem power cord into an electrical outlet, then connect the other end to the modem. Note: Most modems are always on and don't have a power switch. If there is a power switch on the modem, turn it on.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 12975

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

Can you take a picture of this set up? I am so confused.

Roger T. Bannon

I think I need an adapter of some sort.

Roger T. Bannon

I had to get a computer guy to break into this thing because I bought it from an 80-year-old lady a few years ago. She would not even give me the power cord. She is dead now. I am going to have to call that computer guy. He has a computer repair/vape business.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Donate that old computer to a company that recycles old shit, buy a new one for half the cost and 100x more powerful

QuantumLeap
    Let's go, Brandon!
    QuantumLeap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8218

My computer quit working and it was an old computer. I got a pretty decent computer from a lady off Craigslist which I am now trying to get to work.

I am presently accessing the internet through a laptop I am borrowing. I am accessing the internet through a cable modem. However, the computer I acquired has an HDMI port. My access to the internet appears to be through the HDMI port which does not support the cable modem.

In order to access the internet right now I have to use the power supply from the old computer and its elaborate series of cables to connect to the modem successfully. I then run the ethernet cable to the laptop from the modem

How the hell do you get internet with an HDMI port? All I have is a basic cable that sticks into the back of the computer. The old computer had an elaborate series of power banks which support the power for the cable modem.

I have no clue right now and can barely figure out how I have this damn laptop working.

Your Ethernet should be connected just like you describe, with an Ethernet cable between your modem and your laptop Ethernet port. What you are describing as a "power supply" may be a universal docking station which allows you to connect all sorts of devices through one USB connection in your laptop. You don't need that to connect to the Internet. You just need the Ethernet cable between your modem and your laoptop.

You don't get Internet through an HDMI cable. HDMI stands for "high-definition multimedia interface". The key is "multimedia". It's used for video and sound.

I use an HDMI cable to connect from my laptop HDMI port to the HDMI port on my big screen TV. I am viewing SBR on my TV by selecting the HDMI port as input. It gets the signal from my laptop.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

Honestly the setup sounds super janky. You should be able to get internet through an ethernet port or over wifi at a minimum. Your power cord and HDMI shouldn't have anything to do with it. They are used for power and display.

pologq

was the lady from craigslist hot?

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 53

yea you dont use hdmi for internet

i use hdmi and dvi for multiple monitors

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 32138

Booya check in

Help this poor guy out

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10986

This is not Rocket Science. Are you saying that you have a laptop AND an old desktop computer bought on Craigslist? First things first INTERNET - if you pay for internet for example Xfinity. You will have a cable modem. That modem uses the coaxial cable from outside your house to inside to the cable modem. That modem will have an internet port or maybe a group of 4 ports. You can plug an ethernet cable into one of those ports and hook that up to your desktop. The cable modem also most likely has a wireless router that your laptop can connect to wirelessly. You need to know the name of the network and have the password, most of the time, xfinity sticks a label on the modem with the details. If you don't want to run a wire from your cable modem to your desktop, you can buy a wireless card that can connect to the desktop via USB or inside the desktop via PCI. HDMI is used to connect the desktop to a monitor or TV. HDMI does not provide internet nor power. USB C can provide both but I doubt you have a USBC port on an old desktop.

Side note - sometimes you can pick up wifi signals from neighbors that are not password protected. You can sometimes connect to those open networks without paying for internet. A directional antenna can pick up signals from a far distance.

Roger T. Bannon

OK, problem solved. The problem was that the extensive power system of the old computer system had a cord from one of the power boxes that went straight to the modem. So when I got out the modem box I found the standard power cord that I did not know existed.

The new computer is way worse than my old computer. A total piece of junk and outdated. But will have to do for now.

Thanks for the attempts at help.

Orbison
    Orbison's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 153180

take pictures of the following and then post them here:

1. a close up of the rear of your cable modem showing all its ports
    2. a close up of the rear of your computer showing all its ports

Roger T. Bannon

Quote Originally Posted by Orbison View Post
    take pictures of the following and then post them here:

1. a close up of the rear of your cable modem showing all its ports
    2. a close up of the rear of your computer showing all its ports
    Houston -- the problem has been solved.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10986

You can build your own computer fairly cheaply. Probably can use the old case but new cases are relatively cheap as well. Graphic cards are the tough ticket to find today. A good graphics card is going to set you back a bit.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11558

LOL..

HDMI cord you can hook it up to your computer and to the back of your tv and then you can stream and watch anything for free from your computer to TV if you are a cheap bastard.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

That was a strange but very interesting thread glad it worked out

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 304

I think you must have figured out by now why the computer was offered on Craiglist and not at a store. Someone who didn't know what was doing built it in their garage and sold it to you. Could be a 6th grader.

Orbison
    Orbison's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    LOL..

HDMI cord you can hook it up to your computer and to the back of your tv and then you can stream and watch anything for free from your computer to TV if you are a cheap bastard.

hah that's the ghetto way

just buy a Chromecast dongle for like $20 off eBay so you can cast everything wirelessly (from your computer or any android phone) to your TV

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11558

Quote Originally Posted by Orbison View Post
    hah that's the ghetto way

just buy a Chromecast dongle for like $20 off eBay so you can cast everything wirelessly (from your computer or any android phone) to your TV
    I know lol.

This was an HDMI thread so I had to go ghetto cheap cable hookup.. Welcome to the world of Blue Tooth now.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Orbison

Roger T. Bannon

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    I think you must have figured out by now why the computer was offered on Craiglist and not at a store. Someone who didn't know what was doing built it in their garage and sold it to you. Could be a 6th grader.
    No, it was basically brand new. She did not like Windows 8. Problem now is I have no sound. Checked sound when I tested it and it worked.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 304

Brand new but no warranty. You see where I'm going?

Orbison
    Orbison's Avatar SBR PRO

No, it was basically brand new. She did not like Windows 8. Problem now is I have no sound. Checked sound when I tested it and it worked.
    does it come with external speakers? if so, make sure they're connected to the proper audio port on your tower.

Roger T. Bannon

The speakers are OK. The computer beeps. But the sound is not enabled. I can see where it is disabled but it does not give an option of enabling. The speaker icon also has a red x on it.

Roger T. Bannon

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Brand new but no warranty. You see where I'm going?
    It is literally straight out of the box at Best Buy. I've got the box and the wrapping and everything. It was used for maybe a month. Had the warranty at the time.

Orbison
    Orbison's Avatar SBR PRO

The speakers are OK. The computer beeps. But the sound is not enabled. I can see where it is disabled but it does not give an option of enabling. The speaker icon also has a red x on it.
    go to Device Manager and then click on Sound and tell me what you see

12 Last