Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 259

After Making NCAA Tourney, Hartford Moving To Division III

WTNH News 8 in Connecticut reported that Gregory Woodward had commissioned an outside study that argued Hartford could save $10 million if it dropped its athletics programs from Division I to Division III. The school sponsors 15 sports, plus a men’s and women’s eSports team.

The university will file its intent to move to Division III with the NCAA in January of 2022. If approved, the university with work with the NCAA on the reclassification process to prepare for an active membership in Division III for no later than Sept. 1, 2025.

Board of Regents vice chair Kathy Behrens, who played tennis at the University of Hartford during the time the school transitioned from Division II to Division I in the 1984-85 school year, said the move was not strictly motivated by finances.

“I don’t think I would characterize it as a strictly financial decision,” she said. “I think the board felt this was a better path for the long-term success of the university.”

The move came about two months after the Hartford men’s basketball team won its first conference title and advanced to the NCAA Tournament for the first time in program history. The Hawks lost in the first round to Baylor, the eventual national champion, but garnered national attention.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 170

That's too bad. Trying to save money

kingdom
    kingdom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1957

as a kid from hartford its sad. really good coach and great ats the last 2 seasons. they will kill it this year,,,but can you bet on div 3???

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

They'd save $10mm dropping women's sports
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: big joe 1212

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

if it is not motivated by finances then it seems a little weird to do that when the basketball team is making headway

big joe 1212
    big joe 1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5365

So do they still have to honor the athletic scholarships already in place?

Foxx
    Foxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11728

Quote Originally Posted by big joe 1212 View Post
    So do they still have to honor the athletic scholarships already in place?
    Sounds like the transition is 4 years away so they have time to sort that out.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

ESPN notes that most of the team's key players are set to return for next season, but we'll see what they think of the change, which doesn't go into effect for years.

The change will obviously affect more than just the men's basketball team. There's the women's basketball team, which has made the NCAA tournament six times, a baseball team that counts MLB Hall of Famer Jeff Bagwell among its alums and a women's soccer team with 13 regular season America East championships.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5536

i believe new orleans did this and came back to d1 after they went to d3, correct me if im wrong

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Coaching contracts and student-athlete scholarships will be honored, but new athletic scholarship offers will cease beginning in the 2022-23 school year.

carolinakid
    carolinakid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3661

they was a cash cow as a dog this past yr...

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5536

Only team that covered against baylor