ericc
    ericc's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20509

The 49ers bluffed like champions

by
    Dan Wetzel

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/the-49-...040303854.html

Scouts. Assistant coaches. Even team owner Jed York was left in the dark (well, until the very end for York). The concept was simple: If no one knew what they were thinking, no one would fear speaking out and offering a contrarian opinion about a prospect. This would guard against groupthink and confirmation bias.

“You don’t want to sway people,” Shanahan said. “You want people to work their butts off and give you their honest opinion.”

Once the Niners traded up to the third spot in the draft on March 26, their selection became an item of intense interest, including news reports citing “sources” that the team was going to draft Alabama quarterback Mac Jones.

It was all wrong.

Niner fans voiced anger at the "pick." Experts stated Jones was going to be a Niner as if it was fact. Some wondered if racism was at play in favoring a white quarterback such as Jones over African Americans such as Lance or Ohio State’s Justin Fields.

Fields wound up going 11th overall to Chicago, Jones 15th to New England.

The Niners executed their plan to perfection. Give them credit for one of the all-time great draft bluffs, an impressive month of secrets and misdirection.

None of that is going to matter if Trey Lance wasn’t worth all the effort.

And Shanahan and Lynch admitted Thursday that they don’t know, for sure, that Lance will pan out either.

big joe 1212
    big joe 1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5365

I think this kid is going to be electric

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7590

I really liked the “I don’t know if any of us will even be alive in 5 days” routine. Not even being facetious. About the best way to say f-off, you’re getting nothing, sorry

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 304

Champions?

Didn't they lost the Superbowl after leadng for most of the game?

SEAHAWKHARRY
    Northern Lights
    SEAHAWKHARRY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2385

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Champions?

Kinda like your Falcons but a Much Bigger lead right?

stake1
    stake1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2438

What year will he be able to purchase alcohol? And his next pass? Will that be the 100th of his career?

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 53

I am ready for California to break away from continental USA and become an island that is predicted

Politics are bad enough

But then add USC, dodgers, 49ers (kaepernick), giants, warriors....just get them out of here

They can become hawaii part 2

maggiethebestdog
    maggiethebestdog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7629

Champions?

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory in Superbowls is Kyle Shanahan's specialty

Orbison
    Orbison's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 153180

what a stupid article. "bluffed" who exactly?.. as if the Jags or Jets would've instead taken Lance if they knew the 49ers wanted him? what a joke.

the team gave up three 1st's and a 3rd to get him, a guy who has never faced any real competition much less even played in the last two years. also, his accuracy and mechanics are poor, and he'll get killed in the NFL if he tries running as much as he's use to. he's a long-term project, which in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, but for a team who's clearly in win now mode the move didn't make much sense especially considering all the near-term draft capital they gave up. they should've just kept their #12 pick to begin with and taken the best QB available at that point.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

We shall see

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Round 1 grade for the 49ers: "F".
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: stake1

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21413

Quote Originally Posted by Orbison View Post
    what a stupid article. "bluffed" who exactly?.. as if the Jags or Jets would've instead taken Lance if they knew the 49ers wanted him? what a joke.

the team gave up three 1st's and a 3rd to get him, a guy who has never faced any real competition much less even played in the last two years. also, his accuracy and mechanics are poor, and he'll get killed in the NFL if he tries running as much as he's use to. he's a long-term project, which in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, but for a team who's clearly in win now mode the move didn't make much sense especially considering all the near-term draft capital they gave up. they should've just kept their #12 pick to begin with and taken the best QB available at that point.
    Seriously. At 3, they knew everyone would be available other than Lawrence and Wilson. No need to bluff. I suppose they didkeep a secret well, until late, but so what.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24611

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    Seriously. At 3, they knew everyone would be available other than Lawrence and Wilson. No need to bluff. I suppose they didkeep a secret well, until late, but so what.
    Haha. Very well-said. Dan Wetzel, lol.

The sports-media is 10x as big as it has to be. Each writer tries to come up w/ a clever idea. 1/2 were locked in, bluffing who? It was open terrain.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

When you have the #3 pick no need to bluff when #1 and #2 were offered at odds of -20,000 and -10,000 to bet on.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

Champions?

Didn't they lost?

Who learned you how to spoke?
    Points Awarded:

KnuckleHeadz gave Ghenghis Kahn 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5536

If this was a bluff then shoving all in with the nut hand on the river is a bluff too.

Absolutely ridiculous article, they had their choice of whomever besides lawrence and wilson

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Nobody else wanted Trey Lance that bad. They bluffed themselves. Probably would have fallen out of the top 10 if it had not been for niners boosting his stock.
    Points Awarded:

manny24 gave seaborneq 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24743

I'm gonna bluff my fantasy football league mates by taking Matthew Stafford in the first round this year.

Sure I'll say all the right things... "I want Saquon, maybe Hopkins, McCaffrey's all mine!" you know, just so they let their guard down. Then? BOOM! Stafford falls to me and the rest is history.

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    Nobody else wanted Trey Lance that bad. They bluffed themselves. Probably would have fallen out of the top 10 if it had not been for niners boosting his stock.

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19443

Representing the queer, communist, drug-addicted capital of the world, they caved to liberal pressure and took a black guy so they wouldn't look racist instead of focusing on football talent.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHorseplayer View Post
    Representing the queer, communist, drug-addicted capital of the world, they caved to liberal pressure and took a black guy so they wouldn't look racist instead of focusing on football talent.
    It worked out pretty good for the Chiefs. They got tired of losing for 60 years with white QBs and caved to liberal pressure to draft Mahomes so they can make it to the Superbowl in back to back years. Damn that liberal pressure. Andy Reid hates it now!

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19443

There was nowhere near the racism factor in 2017 that there is now and long before he coached the Chiefs, Andy Reid proved that he knows how to focus on talent regardless of race (Donovan McNabb). It might work out for the Niners but it's obvious that they weren't looking solely at ability. Having said that, it's debatable whether Mahomes is a great QB or a good QB on a great team; I lean toward the latter.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHorseplayer View Post
    There was nowhere near the racism factor in 2017 that there is now and long before he coached the Chiefs, Andy Reid proved that he knows how to focus on talent regardless of race (Donovan McNabb). It might work out for the Niners but it's obvious that they weren't looking solely at ability. Having said that, it's debatable whether Mahomes is a great QB or a good QB on a great team; I lean toward the latter.
    I think you are right. Both Andy Reid and Kyle Shanahan picked the QB that they valued as the best. It had nothing to do with the liberal agenda. Jones is slow and not a dual threat. Shanahan was either to draft Lance or Fields once they moved to #3. No need to move up to #3 to draft Jones.

Zlaniner
    DUB NATION 415
    Zlaniner's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13084

Quote Originally Posted by rudyruetigger View Post
    i am ready for california to break away from continental usa and become an island that is predicted

politics are bad enough

but then add usc, dodgers, 49ers (kaepernick), giants, warriors....just get them out of here

they can become hawaii part 2
    yaaaaaaaaaay areeaaaa !!!

WireWire
    bRoKe DiK pRo
    WireWire's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 32027

I have to LOL, the 49ers think they got a steal with a kid who played against community college players last year and they moved UP to 3 to get him Kids going to be a bust.