lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7624

Quote Originally Posted by Thor4140 View Post
    I wonder how Lebron would have done (with the brick for brains Trump voters)if he didn’t say anything politically and the mental midgets on this site didn’t have that on the front of their minds on why they hate him.
    The irony of your statement is incredible. Lebron is a brick for brains that's why he doesn't need to say anything. His iq is lower then the amount of ounces you pour into your shot of liquor.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Lebron ghetto trash all you need to know

Nobody cares about any type of a list, no one even cares about the national basketball Association anymore

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22119

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    The irony of your statement is incredible. Lebron is a brick for brains that's why he doesn't need to say anything. His iq is lower then the amount of ounces you pour into your shot of liquor.
    His IQ is low because you don’t like it that he sticks up for blacks right? Cmon man. Has he jump the gun once or twice sure like most. Maybe Laker like that wonderful human Laura Ingraham said Lebron should just stick to dribbling and let her be the one to inform us all what the truth is. It is the same with you guys on this site all the time. Pop says something against your beliefs he should keep his mouth shut. On and On and on.

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24857

Dr J's list looks fine. Only changes I'd make:

*Kareem was better than Wilt. Have given this a long look. When u add up the productivity and longevity, Kareem > Wilt.

*Hard for Dr J to put himself on the team. But DrJ should be on there instead of Karl Malone.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11105

I worked at Disney World in their college MKCP program during my free time. I worked in transportation in the parking lot. One holiday I was working handicapped. Dr. J and family pulled up in a stretch Mercedes. He asks me, “kid, where can I park.”. I pull a couple of cones and tell him, sir you can park anywhere, matter fact here’s a front row spot. He parks, they get out and he gives me a $100 bill. Disney has a policy that workers can’t take tips unless they insist. So I ask him, “do you insist?” He says sure. I say thank you Sir. I made about $250 that day on tips which was a lot back in the day. I took that money and bet it all on FSU in a bowl game against Oklahoma I think, could of been ND but they covered in the 3rd quarter. That was a good day.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ChuckyTheGoat

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

I'll tell you one thing. None of the 2nd team he listed will argue about the list.

All those players respect Dr. J. Shit kids don't know but Dr. J was MJ before MJ

Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    I worked at Disney World in their college MKCP program during my free time. I worked in transportation in the parking lot. One holiday I was working handicapped. Dr. J and family pulled up in a stretch Mercedes. He asks me, “kid, where can I park.”. I pull a couple of cones and tell him, sir you can park anywhere, matter fact here’s a front row spot. He parks, they get out and he gives me a $100 bill. Disney has a policy that workers can’t take tips unless they insist. So I ask him, “do you insist?” He says sure. I say thank you Sir. I made about $250 that day on tips which was a lot back in the day. I took that money and bet it all on FSU in a bowl game against Oklahoma I think, could of been ND but they covered in the 3rd quarter. That was a good day.

Cool story

I've had the opportunity to meet a few pro athletes (even before they made it big) myself and luckily they were all just as nice

jjgold

Dr J was also playground legend an athletic freak

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by Hman View Post
    Cool story

I've had the opportunity to meet a few pro athletes (even before they made it big) myself and luckily they were all just as nice
    My first job out of college was in Aiken SC. Little kid Kevin Garnett would sometimes come to a basketball court there (I think he had a cousin that lived in Aiken, which is 1.5 hours from Greenville, where he lived). He was like 12 or 13. Short and skinny. Through the years the kid grew like a bean pole and was hitting his head on the rim and was probably 16. Everyone said he was going to the NBA back then. I thought he was too skinny and soft. Next thing I know, he was drafted out of HS. I'm still kinda shocked to see him make it big which seemed so fast.

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19551

Typical old man who thinks his era was the greatest. The entire all time, all NBA team is playing right now; the level of play now was unimaginable in the 90's and before.

jjgold

It was a joke of a list but nobody cares

stake1
    stake1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2438

THE HITMAN
    THE HITMAN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16230

good for J, the earlier NBA'ers are always grossly overlooked

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24857

Quote Originally Posted by THE HITMAN View Post
    good for J, the earlier NBA'ers are always grossly overlooked
    Very much. So long ago, that some just feel like Names.

*Elgin Baylor. Name is brought up in the discussion of Best Forwards ever. That means in the same realm as Bird and DrJ.
    *Connie Hawkins. Had the over-sized hands that very few ever had. Think of DrJ and Otis Thorpe. Guy who could turn the ball into a pebble inside the palm of their hand.
    *Oscar Robertson. King of the Triple Double.

Roger T. Bannon
    Roger T. Bannon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11760

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHorseplayer View Post
    Typical old man who thinks his era was the greatest. The entire all time, all NBA team is playing right now; the level of play now was unimaginable in the 90's and before.
    That's not true. All of those players would be incredible players today. You have to consider that they did not lift weights and did not have nearly as many practice hours as today. Their games would be far more advanced today than they were then.

There is no way Jerry West could hold Lebron below 60 points but he would be a lights out 3-point shooter.

Dr. J saying Lebron could pick his own team was a great line.

Mac4Lyfe

For as much as I shit on the young kids that they are too soft and how my generation played the game so much harder with heart. This generation is bigger, faster and stronger. The level of play today is so much faster, kids are much more skilled in the fundamentals. The game is also much more physical. You just don't see all the contact but guys are running into each other, falling on top of each other, etc. I'm seeing 6'7 kids in AAU that can handle the rock and shoot step back 3's. That was unheard of 20 years ago. 7th graders that can shoot from NBA distance. I'm screaming, no, no, no, don't take that shot, but they are making that shot at a high clip. I just have to shut my mouth. This generation has much more talent and it isn't even close.

Roger T. Bannon

For as much as I shit on the young kids that they are too soft and how my generation played the game so much harder with heart. This generation is bigger, faster and stronger. The level of play today is so much faster, kids are much more skilled in the fundamentals. The game is also much more physical. You just don't see all the contact but guys are running into each other, falling on top of each other, etc. I'm seeing 6'7 kids in AAU that can handle the rock and shoot step back 3's. That was unheard of 20 years ago. 7th graders that can shoot from NBA distance. I'm screaming, no, no, no, don't take that shot, but they are making that shot at a high clip. I just have to shut my mouth. This generation has much more talent and it isn't even close.
    The talent level is not higher. Human beings do not advance athletically in 50 years. The opportunity is greater and the development today is off the charts. This is a society that develops athletic talent from the age of 5. The guys from the 70s literally had no development and it showed in their style of play.

Elite players of those generations would still be elite players. One thing guys in the 70s could do that guys can not do today is score at will. They had one-on-one games that were amazing. That stuff gets coached out today.

The average player today is far more athletic so the competition would be tougher. But ability to score is something very rare.

I was watching some Lloyd B. Free from the 70s the other day on YouTube because he was washed up when I saw him and didn't see much of him. You cannot watch that guy play and not say he could play today. He had amazing talent and it was undeveloped.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by Roger T. Bannon View Post
    Dr. J saying Lebron could pick his own team was a great line.
    While most of us old schoolers did not like Lebron jumping teams, he did empower a lot of players and put a shit load of money in their pockets. Dr J in his prime made $1 million a year salary. The top 40 players in the NBA make about $30 million on average. The total NBA average is $7 million a year. Love him or hate him a lot of players owe Lebron just like golfers owe Tiger.

Roger T. Bannon

While most of us old schoolers did not like Lebron jumping teams, he did empower a lot of players and put a shit load of money in their pockets. Dr J in his prime made $1 million a year salary. The top 40 players in the NBA make about $30 million on average. The total NBA average is $7 million a year. Love him or hate him a lot of players owe Lebron just like golfers owe Tiger.
    The NBA owes everything to the black players of the 1970s and 1980s. That is when Dr. J and George Gervin and Elvin Hayes and all the elite players really became spectacular to watch and the NBA went from being about as popular as the WNBA to being a massive money-making enterprise when black athletes then started to focus almost entirely on basketball. There are no black baseball players today because of Dr. J.

Judge Crater
    Judge Crater's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 509

I remember back in the day when the NBA playoffs were on tape delay, shown at 11:30 PM after the news on CBS
    Watching a regular season game you could hear the sneakers squeak like your watching University of Monterrey on the Ocho.
    What saved the NBA was "The NCAA Tournament", specifically Magic vs Bird.
    No Lebron on first team, might as well take Gretsky off the 1st team NHL then

The NBA owes everything to the black players of the 1970s and 1980s. That is when Dr. J and George Gervin and Elvin Hayes and all the elite players really became spectacular to watch and the NBA went from being about as popular as the WNBA to being a massive money-making enterprise when black athletes then started to focus almost entirely on basketball. There are no black baseball players today because of Dr. J.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

Lol yeah because between the legs cross overs are so hard to learn... SMFH

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19551

Crossovers? How about 3 pointers? Larry Bird was the shit back in the 80's; today, he's around 130th on the list of all time 3 pt. percentage. What was spectacular back then is routine today.

Roger T. Bannon

Crossovers? How about 3 pointers? Larry Bird was the shit back in the 80's; today, he's around 130th on the list of all time 3 pt. percentage. What was spectacular back then is routine today.
    Yes. But Larry did not practice 3-pointers the way they do today. It was a novelty shot. The 3-point shot was developed by Dale Ellis with the Dallas Mavericks. Ellis was a post up player that was not good enough to play for the Mavericks. He worked on his three pointer and he became the best 3-point shooter in the NBA. He would make 6 in a game which was unheard of then. Ellis was a not a great shooter he was just the first to specialize.

lakerboy

Bird is the most overrated player in history. He played on a team with a hall of famer at every position.

Roger T. Bannon

Bird is the most overrated player in history. He played on a team with a hall of famer at every position.
    Larry Bird took INDIANA STATE to the national championship game.

lakerboy

Larry Bird took INDIANA STATE to the national championship game.
    Great accomplishment. They lost. I'm not saying he wasn't good but he played with one of the greatest rosters ever assembled in Boston.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

Shooting is just muscle memory.

You think the game has evolved a lot but there are only few moves every player does this day and age. Those moves aren't that hard to learn

Mac4Lyfe

Bird and Magic saved basketball like Big Mac and Sosa saved baseball. The league was dying in the 70s. Bird and Magic were transcendent players who happen to be born at the same time. Perfect storm.

Roger T. Bannon

Great accomplishment. They lost. I'm not saying he wasn't good but he played with one of the greatest rosters ever assembled in Boston.
    I used to think the same thing about Bird. But then Dominique Wilkins had some big scoring night and a big deal was made out of it. And then Larry played the Hawks and put up 60 on Wilkins. I realized then that Larry could do pretty much what he wanted.

Mac4Lyfe

Are you nuts? Bird was unworldly. He was an incredible watch. He could take over a game with his shooting, his passing or making a timely steal. If Bird didn’t have his injuries, he would have racked up numbers very few could reach. Go watch Bird vs Dominique game 7 in 1988. Bird willed the Celtics to victory after Wilkins went GOAT. One of the greatest games ever. Bird was a baaaad man.

Mac4Lyfe

Most champions have played with stacked rosters. That’s how they win. The only team I can think of that won a title without a superstar roster was the bad boy pistons and even that is hard to say with Isiaih, Dumars, Laimbeer, etc.

Roger T. Bannon

I used to think the same thing about Bird. But then Dominique Wilkins had some big scoring night and a big deal was made out of it. And then Larry played the Hawks and put up 60 on Wilkins. I realized then that Larry could do pretty much what he wanted.
    Oh yeah. Bird was pissed that McHale broke his points record so he went out and broke McHale's record straight away.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

Most champions have played with stacked rosters. That’s how they win. The only team I can think of that won a title without a superstar roster was the bad boy pistons and even that is hard to say with Isiaih, Dumars, Laimbeer, etc.
    What? That Pistons team was stacked. You're forgetting Rodman, Mahorn, Salley, etc

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post
    Shooting is just muscle memory.

You think the game has evolved a lot but there are only few moves every player does this day and age. Those moves aren't that hard to learn
    The game has evolved a ton in just the last decade. Guys can make buckets at a MUCH higher clip. You may think guys arent playing defense today but great defense just cannot stop great offense. You cannot stop the players of today. They are too skilled. There is no one in the old days that could defend a Kyrie, Durant, Curry, Westbrook, Wall, etc. The game has evolved. Most old guys wouldn’t even make it to today’s NBA. I know it sucks to say it but it’s the truth.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post
    What? That Pistons team was stacked. You're forgetting Rodman, Mahorn, Salley, etc
    Which proves my point. Stacked teams win titles. I agree that I think those Pistons teams were stacked but most people have said that they didn’t have that one superstar. That they were hard workers and had to rough up the game because they weren’t as talented.

First 12345 Last