ABEHONEST
    Say what? I'll bite your head plum off!
    ABEHONEST's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4175

Three pointers are starting to ruin college and high school hoops

They are worth too many points.
    Now, every player wants to try his luck and fire away from downtown. Now we have 7-footers shooting longshots.

Look at this stupidity: Purdue and Penn State fired --guess-- how many *3-pointers in a 40 minute contest?
    Tell you later, but again, they are worth a 1/2 too much. I know, laugh, but the beautiful game of basketball is at it's spectatur best when you have balance scoring, shooting,rebounds, free throws, assists, etc.

The more threes--like nobody noticed how those numbers are rising--the better chance for wilder bouncing rebounds, meaning the team with the tallest players; the quickest guards; the best jumpers, will have the decisive edge.

Now, make those 3's into 2.5's and watch less dominating bombs from long distance. And look at the NBA?
    What will Curry do if his team is down 3 with 10 seconds left? He definitely will not fire from 26 ft. but will work the ball to a teammate, looking for a better chance of winning. That was our era of the best basketball played and how long ago was it?
    Well, that scenario would/could open up predictable avenues, too?

*Oh, they fired from 3, 71 friggin times.

** This also, but definitely not today: I have grown extremely tired of showoff dunks! I mean, I've seen enough because this is not bringing/involving one team thought in mind at all.
    Last edited by ABEHONEST; 01-18-21 at 05:35 PM.

johnnyvegas13
    johnnyvegas13's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 235

Do the zags know this ???

carolinakid
    carolinakid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3661

everyone wants to be a 1 and done kid today, ,that what is killing college and the nba, the 1 and done fuks

SamsNCharge99
    5x POTM. 2x Video maker of the year
    SamsNCharge99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6404

3 pointers are worth too many points? How many points should they be worth?

pablo222
    pablo222's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25534

Quote Originally Posted by ABEHONEST View Post
    They are worth too many points.
    Now, every player wants to try his luck and fire away from downtown. Now we have 7-footers shooting longshots.

Look at this stupidity: Purdue and Penn State fired --guess-- how many *3-pointers in a 40 minute contest?
    Tell you later, but again, they are worth a 1/2 too much. I know, laugh, but the beautiful game of basketball is at it's spectatur best when you have balance scoring, shooting,rebounds, free throws, assists, etc.

The more threes--like nobody noticed how those numbers are rising--the better chance for wilder bouncing rebounds, meaning the team with the tallest players; the quickest guards; the best jumpers, will have the decisive edge.

Now, make those 3's into 2.5's and watch less dominating bombs from long distance. And look at the NBA?
    What will Curry do if his team is down 3 with 10 seconds left? He definitely will not fire from 26 ft. but will work the ball to a teammate, looking for a better chance of winning. That was our era of the best basketball played and how long ago was it?

*Oh, they fired from 3, 71 friggin times.

** This also, but definitely not today: I have grown extremely tired of showoff dunks! I mean, I've seen enough because this is not bringing/involving one team thought in mind at all.
    1993 called and wants credit for this take.

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 93

how many national titles does gonzaga have

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6892

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnatikid513 View Post
    how many national titles does gonzaga have
    thanks to North Carolina they have ZERO!!!

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Kill the game move it back and that’ll solve it

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

yeah I hear 7'1 chet holmgren will only commit to a team that promises to allow him to shoot at least 8 triples per game on avg.

I hear the Gonzaga sell outs are high on that list of potential college game ruiners

ABEHONEST

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Kill the game move it back and that’ll solve it
    That's pretty vague, JJ? Details?

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

NBA definitely become a 3 pt shooting contest

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Coming up next: "Touchdowns are starting to ruin football. Why should they be worth 6 points?"

TommieGunshot
    TommieGunshot's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6350

In the extreme example you used, Penn State and Purdue still had more two-point shots than three-point shots (73 to 71). Wouldn't that have made it one of the rare balanced games? It seems you don't want it balanced, you just want it to fit your personal preference of more layups and less shots from 23'.

ABEHONEST

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Coming up next: "Touchdowns are starting to ruin football. Why should they be worth 6 points?"
    Not so deep thinking there, Pavy.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

In the NBA the biggest difference is, you don't see those 15-22 foot jumpers as much anymore.

does anyone really miss the excitement of those Bill Laimbeer shots?

TommieGunshot

That was our era of the best basketball played and how long ago was it?
    Based on your definition of when the game is at it's best "balance scoring, shooting,rebounds, free throws, assists, etc." That would be the modern game, that you are whining about.

James Harden in his career has averaged 7.7 three-point shots per game, 9.0 two-point shots, and 8.8 free-throws per game. That has to be the most balanced shooting in history. In addition to fairly balanced rebounds and assists. Anyone else close?

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 93

abe u still watch the games on a black and white tv

Roger T. Bannon
    Roger T. Bannon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11760

If you will sit through the commercials in a college basketball game, you will watch anything.
    Points Awarded:

ABEHONEST gave Roger T. Bannon 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

big joe 1212
    big joe 1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5365

At least they don't have 4 pointers like the Globetrotter games.

Generals never have a chance. Those guys can't make the 4 pointers.

ABEHONEST

Quote Originally Posted by big joe 1212 View Post

True story? Lol

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Catching the ball with one hand has ruined football!

carolinakid

It sad in most sports today they want pts and pts to keep people watching.the rules today give everything to putting up pts to the offense, the nba is the worst follow by the nfl and then college imo.....

ABEHONEST

Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    It sad in most sports today they want pts and pts to keep people watching.the rules today give everything to putting up pts to the offense, the nba is the worst follow by the nfl and then college imo.....
    Something has to change? How about those ticket prices today? I could not believe the prices on NBA/NFL games. College crowds are so thinned out now, I don't what that typical charge is?

carolinakid

if you gave me a suite i would not go watch a nba game today, man has the nba gone to crap, almost every game is like a all star or street ball type of game.

thomorino
    thomorino's Avatar Become A Pro!

Agree most teams don’t shoot well and you can tell they all watch the nba and they think they can all shoot 40 foot shots like Curry.

ABEHONEST

Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    if you gave me a suite i would not go watch a nba game today, man has the nba gone to crap, almost every game is like a all star or street ball type of game.
    I have nothing against Black culture, but the game is evolving their way in basketball because Blacks are probably dominating at 75%, when we talk of the best or greatest athletes? They are born with more natural ability, and also, I read years ago, are born with a different calf muscle, one built for better speed and jumping ability. And the ticket buying is still working.

But, all this superior athleticism doesn't necessary mean it's always fun to watch? Maybe, just too much, especially considering all those wild dunks, that come way too often to me. How about have 2 different types of basketball games? One, no dunking or only 3 pointers coming unless you're beyond the 28 ft.line? The game now may stay if the public keeps buying those tickets?
    Just playing with crazy ideas.

Maybe if they would make a dunking rule where only 3 a game for each time? Just one example.
    I wouldn't see a thing wrong with that but I am sure I am on the short side of that thought?
    Last edited by ABEHONEST; 01-18-21 at 08:00 PM.

big joe 1212
    big joe 1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5365

Quote Originally Posted by big joe 1212 View Post

Yes, they do have 4 pointers. However, Globetrotters only guys to attempt them.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32279

Funny this thread should pop up.
    The other day I spent a couple of hours (because I was curious and I’m a geek) on a 3 point analysis.
    (NBA though, not NCAA)

I’ll post my conclusion in a little bit.

Mr. Teaser
    Go Terps/Nats/Skins
    Mr. Teaser's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6161

It's all about the metrics of scoring in basketball now. What you're seeing is a result of that.

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19581

The reason players take so many threes is because they're so good at making them.

TommieGunshot

I have nothing against Black culture, but the game is evolving their way in basketball because Blacks are probably dominating at 75%, when we talk of the best or greatest athletes? They are born with more natural ability, and also, I read years ago, are born with a different calf muscle, one built for better speed and jumping ability. And the ticket buying is still working.
    This is just weird and ignorant.

Teams use the three-point shot so much because 3>2. That has nothing to do with "Black culture".

What someone is born with has a huge influence of their sports ability. Muscle insertion and muscle fiber in the lower leg does have a lot to do with running and jumping. In basketball, that is of much less importance than height. If I was 6'8 I would have been able to play in college. Estimates are that 10-20% of all American men 7' or taller end up in the NBA. Being four or five standard deviations above average in calf muscles may help, but it does not turn the one-in-a-million shot into one-in-10.

Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

Didn't the NBA say couple years ago they plan to add a 4pointer?

ABEHONEST

Quote Originally Posted by TommieGunshot View Post
    This is just weird and ignorant.

Teams use the three-point shot so much because 3>2. That has nothing to do with "Black culture".

What someone is born with has a huge influence of their sports ability. Muscle insertion and muscle fiber in the lower leg does have a lot to do with running and jumping. In basketball, that is of much less importance than height. If I was 6'8 I would have been able to play in college. Estimates are that 10-20% of all American men 7' or taller end up in the NBA. Being four or five standard deviations above average in calf muscles may help, but it does not turn the one-in-a-million shot into one-in-10.
    Seems you missed the point?
    I'm looking at what you copied and see nothing about threes in that statement? Try dunks and you got it.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32279

3>2 does not apply to this argument though.

It’s late now and I’ve had a long day today but tomorrow I promise I’ll post the analytics and math to the question I asked myself the other day “is the three point shot worth it?”

To post it all correctly is time consuming and I want to post all the details correctly.

I’m an I/T operations analyst by trade since I work remotely now I have the time at home and I crunch numbers for shits and giggles and out of curiosity in case some of you are wondering.

What can I tell you.
    I’m a geek from way back.

ABEHONEST

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    3>2 does not apply to this argument though.

It’s late now and I’ve had a long day today but tomorrow I promise I’ll post the analytics and math to the question I asked myself the other day “is the three point shot worth it?”

To post it all correctly is time consuming and I want to post all the details correctly.

I’m an I/T operations analyst by trade since I work remotely now I have the time at home and I crunch numbers for shits and giggles and out of curiosity in case some of you are wondering.

What can I tell you.
    I’m a geek from way back.
    Great! I will be watching and it sounds interesting.
    See you Tuesday.

12 Last