thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5536

Think this year proved the 4 team playoffs is pretty bad

Acc gets destroyed in bowls, has 2 playoff teams, both stink it up.

Oklahoma wins big 12, has a bad early loss to k state that eliminates them, but their conference dominates bowl season.

Ohio state never had the shot at the bad loss because of the 5 game schedule.

Cincinnati proved they could play with the SEC.

I’m not a big fan of the argument that teams further down can’t win it. How many nfl teams really have a chance to win the title? It’s about building the program and having something tangible to go on.

A radio host in Pittsburgh constantly has suggested 6 teams, the 5 power conference champions and the best group of 5 champion. This would really make it more like an 11 team playoff because of the conference championship games. He said notre dame will have to join a conference if they want to be in it.

I don’t think his scenario will ever happen, but I do think you will see 8 teams pretty soon, which would probably solve the problem.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21413

Except that at the end if the day the 2 best teams are playing for the title.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5536

[QUOTE=d2bets;30003518]Except that at the end if the day the 2 best teams are playing for the title.[/QUOTE

Your point?

Mine went over your head, no surprise though

homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10957

I love the big 12. They went 5-0 but it proves little. They were favored in every matchup. Bowl records don't prove who the best conf is.

The 4 team playoff is now 7Y old and has been terrific.

That pitt radio host says take the 5 power 5 conf champs and at an at large?

Simply saying the power 5 champs are the 5 best teams is silly.

Sometimes a power 5 conf sucks (pac 12 this year) and their winner is not as good as the runner up on another p5 conf.

Just silly logic and thankfully no one who matters, listens to this nonsense.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

The college football regular season is all that matters. They will NEVER get their postseason right because of money. Sad. I didn't watch much of any of the bowl games the last two days because the games no longer matter in the big picture. If they do let the G5 team(s) in to the party it will be the equivalent of the 1-16 matchup in March Madness. Just a joke. If the home team fans weren't so stupid and nostalgic this never would have gotten to this point. No other sport makes major coaching hires during the postseason like college football which means the postseason means nothing. Can you see a coaching hire being front page news in MLB during the World Series, NFL during the Super Bowl, or NHL during the Stanly Cup? Nope. Because crowning a champion is a meritocracy versus a beauty pageant. The NCAA is now a made for TV miniseries no different from The Bachelor and RHOA. Sickening.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    Except that at the end if the day the 2 best teams are playing for the title.
    always

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 292

If you had 8 teams in playoff then Florida, Georgia, Miami and North Carolina wouldn't have players opt out for Bowl games.

carolinakid
    carolinakid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3661

yes i hope they change it soon, as the season to me does not work.i have friends over last night to watch the unc game, this is the biggest bowl game in some time for unc and the good players did not play, this is total bs......you dont see the one and done in the basketball sitting out do you??

mjsuax13
    mjsuax13's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 746

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post

Oklahoma wins big 12, has a bad early loss to k state that eliminates them, but their conference dominates bowl season.

I’m not a big fan of the argument that teams further down can’t win it. How many nfl teams really have a chance to win the title? It’s about building the program and having something tangible to go on.

A radio host in Pittsburgh constantly has suggested 6 teams, the 5 power conference champions and the best group of 5 champion. This would really make it more like an 11 team playoff because of the conference championship games. He said notre dame will have to join a conference if they want to be in it.

I don’t think his scenario will ever happen, but I do think you will see 8 teams pretty soon, which would probably solve the problem.
    ND needs to get over themselves they play a handpicked schedule. Join a conference.

carolinakid
    carolinakid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3661

yes i agree 100% if they want to play in the acc, play not just 1 year because of the covid 19, hell i wish they would move out of the acc for good here.

homie1975

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    The college football regular season is all that matters. They will NEVER get their postseason right because of money. Sad. I didn't watch much of any of the bowl games the last two days because the games no longer matter in the big picture. If they do let the G5 team(s) in to the party it will be the equivalent of the 1-16 matchup in March Madness. Just a joke. If the home team fans weren't so stupid and nostalgic this never would have gotten to this point. No other sport makes major coaching hires during the postseason like college football which means the postseason means nothing. Can you see a coaching hire being front page news in MLB during the World Series, NFL during the Super Bowl, or NHL during the Stanly Cup? Nope. Because crowning a champion is a meritocracy versus a beauty pageant. The NCAA is now a made for TV miniseries no different from The Bachelor and RHOA. Sickening.
    the reason colleges fill football coaching vacancies as quickly as possible is 1) for recruiting so they can preserve the best players who have signed or will sign and 2) so good players currently on the team don't go into the transfer portal while awaiting the new coach

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

i like 8 teams in the playoff. i think that way you get a possible undefeated team who is not in the top 4 still represented.

homie1975

Quote Originally Posted by pologq View Post
    i like 8 teams in the playoff. i think that way you get a possible undefeated team who is not in the top 4 still represented.
    it kills the bowls even more than currently and will not be voted in by the college presidents.

mdunlap3
    mdunlap3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4843

TAMU v. Bama would have been much better. Book is washed.

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6759

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post

tell me again how you do a 6 team playoffs?

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
    the reason colleges fill football coaching vacancies as quickly as possible is 1) for recruiting so they can preserve the best players who have signed or will sign and 2) so good players currently on the team don't go into the transfer portal while awaiting the new coach
    SorrY to break it to you. They were doing this before the transfer portal too. If the postseason meant anything there wouldn’t be any coaching changes. The bowl games are still the postseason.

lonegambler23
    Org Mafia
    lonegambler23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13502

i dont get how hard it is to expand to 8 teams lol

champlain
    champlain's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4860

Quote Originally Posted by mdunlap3 View Post
    TAMU v. Bama would have been much better. Book is washed.
    They played and lost 52-24.

homie1975

Quote Originally Posted by seaborneq View Post
    SorrY to break it to you. They were doing this before the transfer portal too. If the postseason meant anything there wouldn’t be any coaching changes. The bowl games are still the postseason.
    Yes they did it before the transfer portal because if recruiting. You understand that national signing day is traditionally the first tue in feb which means if you sign a coach during the bowl games he only has 4-5 weeks to hit the recruiting trail and sell his program. It's all about recruiting.

209 Life
    Off to BMR. Deuces
    209 Life's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6750

Expand to 8 teams, 5 spots for each power 5 conference champion, 1 spot for top G5 champion, 2 spots at-large

homie1975

Quote Originally Posted by 209 Life View Post
    Expand to 8 teams, 5 spots for each power 5 conference champion, 1 spot for top G5 champion, 2 spots at-large
    Central valley area 209 in da house !!

209 Life
    Off to BMR. Deuces
    209 Life's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6750

Central valley area 209 in da house !!
    How original

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

8 teams sounds nice but the reality is that’s 3 more games they have to play if u win it all. if ur gonna do that then shorten the season to 10 games

jtoler

I do like the playoffs setup in 1-aa I must admit it should get more coverage and fanfare
    Points Awarded:

Mac4Lyfe gave jtoler 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10986

it kills the bowls even more than currently and will not be voted in by the college presidents.
    Have you been watching? The bowls have been dead ever since they went to the 4 team playoff. With the advent of the 4 team playoff, players have just chosen to opt out of bowl games. More playoff teams = much more people watching and no one opting out. I originally said 8 teams but now, I think a 16 team playoff would be unreal and would be a ratings bonanza. Make the playoffs mini bowl games and you will see incredible games and record breaking ratings.

A 16 team playoff would mean only 2 more games for 2 teams, 1 more game for 4 teams. That's not a huge impact for the majority of teams. Maybe reduce the regular season by a game.

I didn't watch a single bowl game this year besides Bama/ND. I had zero interest in these games. You never know what teams are motivated to show up. It's like watching the Senior/Pro bowls now.

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10986

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    8 teams sounds nice but the reality is that’s 3 more games they have to play if u win it all. if ur gonna do that then shorten the season to 10 games
    Huh? That's just 1 more game for 2 teams than what we have now...

jtoler

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    Huh? That's just 1 more game for 2 teams than what we have now...
    just seems like a lot to me when it used to be only 1 game. also in reality nobody is gonna wanna see the number 1 seed bama, osu, clemson types take on the 8 seeds of cincinnati people will see those as automatic L’s and a waste of time, just a chance for a player(s) on the 1 seed to get injured. and the off chance an 8 seed beats a 1 seed people will tend to think the 1 seed overlooked the 8 seed because of bigger fish to fry and is of course the better team and they’ll hate the 8 team playoff after that
    Last edited by jtoler; 01-03-21 at 03:39 PM.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

The Bowls are killed because the teams that miss the playoffs and are good don't have the best players play and they opt out of meaningless games. The other 2 bowl games in the 8 playoff will be exciting to watch instead of the snoozefests we had this year with Oklahoma - Florida, Georgia - Cincinnati and Texas A&M - North Carolina.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

8 game playoffs would be awesome but what if these future draft picks get injured? That's probably their main concern

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post
    8 game playoffs would be awesome but what if these future draft picks get injured? That's probably their main concern
    Well didn't Justin Fields got hurt in the 4 team playoff anyway?

homie1975

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    Have you been watching? The bowls have been dead ever since they went to the 4 team playoff. With the advent of the 4 team playoff, players have just chosen to opt out of bowl games. More playoff teams = much more people watching and no one opting out. I originally said 8 teams but now, I think a 16 team playoff would be unreal and would be a ratings bonanza. Make the playoffs mini bowl games and you will see incredible games and record breaking ratings.

A 16 team playoff would mean only 2 more games for 2 teams, 1 more game for 4 teams. That's not a huge impact for the majority of teams. Maybe reduce the regular season by a game.

I didn't watch a single bowl game this year besides Bama/ND. I had zero interest in these games. You never know what teams are motivated to show up. It's like watching the Senior/Pro bowls now.
    this year's bowl season was a shittshow because of opt outs and covid protocol.

2014 through 2019 (the prior 6Y of the CFP) the bowls worked out just fine and got solid tv ratings and the majority of games between 12/26 and 1/2 had full stadiums or nearly full.

people have short memories. this 2020 bowl season should not be compared to anything because covid effed the whole thing up with numerous good teams opting out of playing.

homie1975

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    The Bowls are killed because the teams that miss the playoffs and are good don't have the best players play and they opt out of meaningless games. The other 2 bowl games in the 8 playoff will be exciting to watch instead of the snoozefests we had this year with Oklahoma - Florida, Georgia - Cincinnati and Texas A&M - North Carolina.
    the two games in bold were two of the best bowl games and were essentially "instant classics" !!!

homie1975

Quote Originally Posted by 209 Life View Post
    How original

i was giving you a shout-out bro! i live in socal so i was extending you respect

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    If you had 8 teams in playoff then Florida, Georgia, Miami and North Carolina wouldn't have players opt out for Bowl games.
    You're right

I do believe the current bowl series FBS tv contract is up next year.

I think you get 6 teams at that point. Too much money at stake.

homie1975

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
    You're right

I do believe the current bowl series FBS tv contract is up next year.

I think you get 6 teams at that point. Too much money at stake.
    No. 2025

The playoff will remain at four teams at least until the end of the ESPN contract in 2025.Oct 8, 2020

12 Last