Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

Dallas Cowboys Retain Offensive Coordinator

Cowboys offensive coordinator Kellen Moore won’t be going back to Boise State.

Not yet, at least.

He and the Cowboys have reached a multi-year contract extension, the team announced Saturday evening. Moore’s contract was scheduled to expire shortly after the season ended. He’d been in talks with Boise State for its head coach job.

Moore, 32, starred at quarterback for the Broncos. His alma mater’s interest ultimately increased his negotiation leverage when securing a lucrative future in Dallas.

In 2021, Moore will be the Cowboys’ offensive play-caller for a third straight season.

“I am very excited to remain with the Dallas Cowboys as the offensive coordinator,” Moore said in a news release. “I will no longer be pursuing the head coaching job at Boise State. I love Boise State. I will always root for them, and I hope one day to be a part of the program again. We are building something special here in Dallas. I am thankful to the Jones family and Mike McCarthy for providing me with the opportunity to coach these special players. I am excited for us to put it all together and finish the job.”

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

But the signing of the 32-year old Moore may do more than just ensure that the offensive coordinator position in Dallas is filled. It’s also likely viewed as a necessary step in order to sign quarterback Dak Prescott to a long-term deal this upcoming offseason.

Prescott, who is set to become the top unrestricted free agent in the NFL come March, played this past season on the team’s exclusive franchise tag, earning a whopping $31.4 million in 2020. Unfortunately, the two-time Pro Bowl passer played just five games under center for Dallas this past year after suffering a season-ending ankle injury in Week Five.

While the Cowboys do have the option to use the franchise tag once again to ensure Prescott remains in Dallas in 2021 (at a cost of $37.7 million), the brass in Dallas would surely prefer to get a long-term contract extension done in order to spread his potential record-breaking salary over the life of the deal.

Securing Moore’s future in Dallas would seemingly further entice Prescott to remain with the Cowboys, perhaps helping in the negotiation process between the player and the team which should resume soon.

Moore and Prescott first connected during Dak’s rookie season back in 2016. Kellen was the Cowboys’ backup quarterback to starter Tony Romo at the time. And Prescott was the team’s fourth-round selection out of Mississippi State. Injuries to both Romo and Moore forced Dak into the primary role Week One of the regular season … and he’s been the starter ever since.

With Prescott assuming the mantle under center for the Cowboys, Moore transitioned to quarterbacks coach in 2018 and was promoted to the offensive coordinator role the following year. That season, the offense in Dallas was ranked first in the NFL in total yardage, averaging 431.5 yards per game.