Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 408

First Blake Snell, Now Padres Going For Yu Darvish

The trade looks to be close, Heyman tweets. Caratini would “likely” join Darvish in San Diego, though the Cubs want “some MLB experience” as part of their return.

The clubs are close to a deal and appear as if they’ll finalize it tonight, per Nightengale.

Watch out Dodgers!!!

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

damn!

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Davies and “several prospects,” including 2020 second-round outfielder Owen Caissie, will be going to the Cubs, Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com reports. Shortstop Reginald Preciado will also head to Chicago, per Acee, who adds that the trade features “two other prospects.”

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

The Cubs and Padres have agreed to a deal that will send right-hander Yu Darvish and catcher Victor Caratini from Chicago to San Diego, Mark Feinsand of MLB.com reports. The Cubs will receive righty Zach Davies, shortstops Reginald Preciado and Yeison Santana, and outfielders Owen Caissie and Ismael Mena in return.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Chicago will pick up “a minor portion” of Darvish’s remaining money, Bob Nightengale of USA Today tweets.

clockwise1965
    clockwise1965's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18366

Yankees west.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Are the Cubbies throwing in the towel here 2021?

thomorino
    thomorino's Avatar Become A Pro!

They still don’t have enough hitting to match the Dodgers yet

TheMetsSuck
    TheMetsSuck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1482

Dodgers and Padres are going to control the NL for the next decade

pilebuck13
    pilebuck13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1717

Meh he’s nothing to special don’t forget the dodgers got Walker Buehler as well as David price next year they will be dangerous as well as kershaw although his time is running out dodgers likely re peat

cincinnatikid513
    contra spem spero
    cincinnatikid513's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

do they have a bullpen

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)
    JMobile's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26848

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    The trade looks to be close, Heyman tweets. Caratini would “likely” join Darvish in San Diego, though the Cubs want “some MLB experience” as part of their return.

The clubs are close to a deal and appear as if they’ll finalize it tonight, per Nightengale.

Watch out Dodgers!!!
    You know who I'll be rooting for in 2021???

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21665

Padres going all in.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32291

Quote Originally Posted by thomorino View Post
    They still don’t have enough hitting to match the Dodgers yet
    Pitching and defense almost always wins titles, not hitting.
    I said almost always, not always.

thomorino

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Pitching and defense almost always wins titles, not hitting.
    I said almost always, not always.
    Not anymore

stevenash

Not anymore
    Define 'anymore'

2020 was an aberration of a season and can't be included.
    Not one batter last season had 502 plate appearances and 162 innings pitched.
    A 60 game regular season is an aberration and like I said can't be included.

Now go back the past quarter century (from 1995 up to 2019) and look at the World Championship teams from those past 25 seasons.
    At least 17 of them had better pitching and defense then hitting.

stake1
    stake1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2438

Padres making noise during a real silent offseason

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by stake1 View Post
    Padres making noise during a real silent offseason.
    The off season will pick up some.
    The pitching will more than likely be settled first than the hitting.
    The only staff changing pitcher left to be signed is Trevor Bauer, all other significant pitching moves will come via trade.

slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6219

No one can call Kershaw a choker now lol

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by slayer14 View Post
    No one can call Kershaw a choker now lol
    I don't like the Dodgers so sometimes my opinions are slightly biased.
    But I do truly believe a lot of Kershaw's post season failures were due to the fact he was overused during the course of a 162 game season and suffered from what some call 'tired arm syndrome'

Not so much that he's a choker.

(Oh by the way who here can define 'choke' vs. 'clutch')
    Were Dave Winfield and Kershaw 'chokers' because they didn't really have much success in the post season?
    And was a player like Carlos Beltran really that 'clutch'? (well yeah, maybe)

Know this though (at least I know this) as much as I dislike the Dodgers Kershaw is a Hall of Fame pitcher.

Getting back to my good pitching vs. good hitting debate.
    Look at all the great aforementioned Dodger teams.

They won with Koufax and Drysdale, those LA Dodger line ups were about as deep as a puddle.
    Hell, their best hitters back in the day were Tommy Davis and Maury Wills.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47525

But I do truly believe a lot of Kershaw's post season failures were due to the fact he was overused during the course of a 162 game season and suffered from what some call 'tired arm syndrome'

Were Dave Winfield and Kershaw 'chokers' because they didn't really have much success in the post season?

Know this though (at least I know this) as much as I dislike the Dodgers Kershaw is a Hall of Fame pitcher.

They won with Koufax and Drysdale, those LA Dodger line ups were about as deep as a puddle.
    I remember Winfield getting a big hit for Toronto in the early 90s during one of their WS runs. Too bad the Padres got rid of him back in the day.

thomorino

Define 'anymore'

2020 was an aberration of a season and can't be included.
    Not one batter last season had 502 plate appearances and 162 innings pitched.
    A 60 game regular season is an aberration and like I said can't be included.

Now go back the past quarter century (from 1995 up to 2019) and look at the World Championship teams from those past 25 seasons.
    At least 17 of them had better pitching and defense then hitting.

This isn’t the 1970s, the Padres best hitter is Eric hosmer, they need to upgrade the offense.

stevenash

This isn’t the 1970s, the Padres best hitter is Eric hosmer, they need to upgrade the offense.
    No, the best Padres hitter is Tatis, then Machado.
    Hosmer's role on that team is not offense.

thomorino

No, the best Padres hitter is Tatis, then Machado.
    Hosmer's role on that team is not offense.
    Wrong, teams figured tatis out the second half of the year, which is why his numbers dropped significantly, hosmer is the best hitter.

stevenash

Wrong, teams figured tatis out the second half of the year,
    How can you say that, he finished last regular season on a six game hitting streak.
    (the final regular season game he didn't play all nine innings)

By your own words "this isn't the 1970's"

Since Ron Bloomberg drew a walk in 1973 against Luis Tiant becoming the first DH in MLB how exactly has the rules of baseball changed since then?

It's still see the ball, hit the ball, catch the ball.
    It's still nine innings and 27 outs.
    It's still four ball and take your base, it's still three strikes and you're out.
    Nothing's changed.
    And it's still good pitching almost always will beat good hitting.
    Usually, not always.
    Why?
    Because you can not score a run if you can not get on base.

Please don't debate baseball with me.
    I've been witting baseball for the past 25 years, ten of them right here at SBR as well.
    I have played baseball, coached it, umpired it, studied it, analyzed it, write about it.
    I also blog about it, and in developments of a podcast with a buddy of mine who works/writes for the Twins.

I am not the be all/end all baseball authority because I am still learning 25 years later, but you sir can not tell me anything about baseball I don't know.

I am smart enough to know there are better baseball minds out there than me.
    A lot of them, but you are not one of them.

thomorino

How can you say that, he finished last regular season on a six game hitting streak.

Since Ron Bloomberg drew a walk in 1973 against Luis Tiant becoming the first DH in MLB how exactly has the rules of baseball changed since then?

It's still four ball and take your base, it's still three strikes and you're out.
    Nothing's changed.
    Usually, not always.
    Why?

I've been witting baseball for the past 25 years, ten of them right here at SBR as well.
    I have played baseball, coached it, umpired it, studied it, analyzed it, write about it.
    I also blog about it, and in developments of a podcast with a buddy of mine who works/writes for the Twins.

I am not the be all/end all baseball authority because I am still learning 25 years later, but you sir can not tell me anything about baseball I don't know.

I stopped reading after you tried to defend tatis’s second half performance which was absolute trash by saying he had a 6 game hitting streak at the end of the year.

The is is even worse than when you argued Cramer who bought and owned a 1 million dollar home as his primary residence was making 10 million a year.

Tatis was absolute and complete trash at the end of the year, the fact he had at least 1 hit in the last six games the Padres played means nothing.

Stop talking.

thomorino

Nothing's changed.
    Usually, not always.
    Why?

Tatis hit .223 in September and .193 in August, to argue he didn’t struggle because he had at least 1 hit in each of his last 6 games is a stupid and embarrassing argument.

Again, stop talking.

stevenash

^
    You don't know how math works than.

If a career .300 hitter hits .400 for the first half of a season, chances are he'll hit .200 for the second half averaging out his BA to .300
    It's simple math, it has nothing to do with 'figuring out' hitters and pitchers.

What you do know is catch phrases, like 'figuring out' and 'beat the closing line', phrases like that.
    You throw them around because you think it makes you look smart.
    But fact of the matter is you really don't know what they mean but by using aforementioned catch phrases you think you make yourself look smart.

Silly me, you're correct about one thing.
    I'm the idiot here for thinking I can have an intelligent baseball conversation with you.

thomorino

^

If a career .300 hitter hits .400 for the first half of a season, chances are he'll hit .200 for the second half averaging out his BA to .300
    It's simple math, it has nothing to do with 'figuring out' hitters and pitchers.

What you do know is catch phrases, like 'figuring out' and 'beat the closing line', phrases like that.
    But fact of the matter is you really don't know what they mean but by using aforementioned catch phrases you think you make yourself look smart.

I'm the idiot here for thinking I can have an intelligent baseball conversation with you.
    Wrong, you don’t understand basics about baseball.

When a young player comes up from the minor league they often hit very well for a month or two before teams scout and figure out a teams strengths and weaknesses.

Will Myers hit .400 his first several months in the majors before teams realized how much he struggled against off speed pitching.

Tatis got exposed in the second half of the year, he hit below .220 for nearly two entire months after teams figured out how to pitch to him.

You are a dumb shit.

thomorino

^

Tatis is also not a career .300 hitter, he’s not a career anything, he’s 22 you dumb shit, which is why his horrible second half performance shows he got exposed.

stevenash

Tatis is also not a career .300 hitter, he’s not a career anything, he’s 22 you dumb shit, which is why his horrible second half performance shows he got exposed.
    I did not say he was a career .300 hitter.
    I said... never mind it's hopeless.

And can you debate anybody here on these forums without resorting to using pejoratives.
    It's not a good look.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47525

Wrong, you don’t understand basics about baseball.

When a young player comes up from the minor league they often hit very well for a month or two before teams scout and figure out a teams strengths and weaknesses.

Will Myers hit .400 his first several months in the majors before teams realized how much he struggled against off speed pitching.

Tatis got exposed in the second half of the year, he hit below .220 for nearly two entire months after teams figured out how to pitch to him.

You are a dumb shit.
    Tatis slumped for the last 2 weeks. The entire season was around 2 months.

thomorino

I did not say he was a career .300 hitter.
    I said... never mind it's hopeless.

And can you debate anybody here on these forums without resorting to using pejoratives.
    It's not a good look.
    Your dumb argument suggested that just because tatis hitting numbers were garbage the second half of the year, it just showed regression, I disagree given his age and what happened.

You are a nasty dumb shit who got owned in this and other arguments you have had with me, so all you can do is call me unintelligent.

thomorino

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    Wrong his average was garbage for the entire month of august, that’s nearly 30 games. He hit even worse in September too.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post
    JP.
    Don't argue with him.
    You'll only be called a dumb shit, then he'll tell you how great a handicapper he is by telling you his numbers are strong across the board, and throw out other catch phrases that he thinks makes him look smart.

Like I said, silly me for trying to have a normal conversation,

12 Last