Wrongside
    Only Backdoor'd; never backdoor
    Wrongside's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 773

Quote Originally Posted by eidolon View Post
    Teams down 14 in the 4th quarter have gone for 2 points multiple times this year. The analytics is actually why they have started doing it.
    And Pederson started the trend two years ago, at least.

spippen
    spippen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10669

With so much "in the know" of the spreads and totals these days it's hard not to expect stuff like this happening quite a bit more. Personally I have been staying away from these public plays. This game was one that for years I would've took Seattle minus 6.5 all day. To get lucky and win with Philly plus 6.5 in the end like that just reinforces what I have seen over and over again. Players, coaches, and refs have massive influence on the outcomes. They know exactly what they are doing. Don't expect this to change but only to get even worse. I will and have been handicapping with this obvious fact in mind all year now.Good luck.

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

fair to say - 'Vegas wanted Philly' ??

Wrongside
    Only Backdoor'd; never backdoor
    Wrongside's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 773

Hard to fabricate that ending. Wentz was not in a hurry to score...at all. Super flukey. Steelers/Ravens matinee was more of an orchestration.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Odom View Post
    fair to say - 'Vegas wanted Philly' ??
    Doesn't matter, the letter writer is seriously misguided on what he thinks is reality.

While acknowleding it is illegal to script a game for betting purposes and the same for intellectual matches (I'm sure remember Quiz Show Sammy) the Supreme Court gave the NFL a gift when they said it was ok to script events for entertainment purposes.

A result the NFL anticipated when theycorrectly argued not only that they were an entertainment product, but that there was only one entity under that entertainment label, one NFL comprised of 32 teams.

Not 32 NFL franchises.

This should tell you all you need to know without being force to speculate at all. Having an expecation of some kind of "fairness" is not only misguided, but for the NFL it is an unreasonable and unrealistic expectation.

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

6 is the new 7 I guess.....with 2 point Conv being under 50% I don't get it...guess the coach has to know their team....

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ytics-backs-up

Old but good info.....still don't think its the right call in THAT situation particularly but to each their own....

Worth noting: The Eagles and Ravens are widely considered two of the most analytically inclined teams, and the Panthers poached their director of football analytics from the Eagles this past offseason.

First 12