Unrivaled
    Unrivaled's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5234

Does every gambling addiction start with a big win?

Hit a 6 team parlay two weeks in a row on sports select to win thousands of dollars and that was the beginning of the sports betting addiction.

Also hit a 777 suited playing blackjack on lucky lucky and won 3 grand first time playing.

You know how it goes from there.

What's your story?

carolinakid
    carolinakid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3661

for me it was yrs ago with the st louis/minney world series, it went 7 games and the home team won every game, i bet the home team 7 times and was hooked.but i love working with numbers and got a chance to learn a lot with Dr Bob right after he finish Berkley, before he move to LA

TheMetsSuck
    TheMetsSuck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1470

I hit a 12 team nfl parlay to 10 win 15k my 3rd week as a freshman. Worst thing to ever happen to me. Started winning big playing online poker during the same time and my soul was lost forever

Unrivaled

Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    for me it was yrs ago with the st louis/minney world series, it went 7 games and the home team won every game, i bet the home team 7 times and was hooked.but i love working with numbers and got a chance to learn a lot with Dr Bob right after he finish Berkley, before he move to LA
    Yes 7 straight wins to start will hook you.

Unrivaled

Quote Originally Posted by TheMetsSuck View Post
    I hit a 12 team nfl parlay to 10 win 15k my 3rd week as a freshman. Worst thing to ever happen to me. Started winning big playing online poker during the same time and my soul was lost forever
    Yes, the money put in and time lost cannot be understated.

carolinakid

the thing that keep me charge up now, is learning new sports and the angles it take to work certain games..i love sports here in the states, but the sports around the world have really pump me up again.........gl guys with all your plays moving forward

Unrivaled

Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    the thing that keep me charge up now, is learning new sports and the angles it take to work certain games..i love sports here in the states, but the sports around the world have really pump me up again.........gl guys with all your plays moving forward
    My favorite thing to do is to win a decent amount in NFL or NHL.

Then instead of being patient or cashing out I like to triple my bet on a stupid parlay.

The parlay usually consists of a random basketball game in Europe, a random tennis match and a random esports game.

I'm that guy that will start with a couple hundred, win 3 or 4000 then start making 1000 dollar parlay bets. Complete addict.

carolinakid

i never really got into parlays here.yrs ago when i 1st started the local bookies would have those parlays sheets to get you hooked and you had to play at least 3 games.and if a game was a pick em or-1 or -2 the sheets would always have the game at -2 both ways......

INVEGA MAN
    INVEGA MAN's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11934

My 1st bet was a $10 parlay which i hit and I was hooked!!

HAPPY BOY
    HAPPY BOY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 800

nah..just went to Jai Alai back in the mid 80's cashed my 1st bet. a quinella ..got hooked on the adrenaline RUSH... been hooked ever since.

Hman
    Hman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1222

Over the years I have seen several newcomers hit parlays & such which leads them to believe early on that it's all easy

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

no

It is in your genes..a compulsion gene and secondly just as important hating to lose at anything is deadly

We call them competitors

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

my dad would take me to the track at a young age. i would place bets thru him and then when sports gambling online was available and i had a credit card while in college, it was an easy transition. def a compulsion for me cause i like the feeling. even when i was 6 or 7 placing the bets on a horse to win i loved it.

Allure
    Allure's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15121

Let's see those tickets

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 350

No. I got addicted playing craps in middle school. It made me feel cool. 30 years later my brain is permanently rewired

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Otters27 View Post
    No. I got addicted playing craps in middle school. It made me feel cool. 30 years later my brain is permanently rewired

mjsuax13
    mjsuax13's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 1005

Vegas December 2001
    MGM Grand

I visited Las Vegas in December of 2001 with a bunch of college buddies. Tickets were cheap, rooms were cheap as it was Post 9/11. We stayed at MGM Grand. MGM will always have a place in my heart as it was my first Vegas experience and it was a hell of a fun time. Still is from my view point.

I had no real intentions of gambling but another guy that didn’t make the trip told me before I go to only play roulette because it statistically is the best game to win on if you bet red/black. Same guy who introduced me to parlays, sports betting, etc... he “always won”... whatever.

7 of us made the trip. I brought $700 total and a credit card with like $1500 available credit thinking I could make some money gambling and it would be enough.

Fast Forward to the airport. One guy didn’t even make the trip with us and got detained at the airport because he had a 10 inch knife in his bag that he forgot from his hunting trip. 1 down. Big no-no post 9/11.

We land in Las Vegas and of course... we instantly get suckered into the limousine line. We think we are hot shit though and realize fast we will be paying $20 a guy. $680 left.

We proceed to visit all the hotels walking. Who would have thought they were so far apart but look so close. We drink, get loaded as hell and the flurry of bad decisions begin. $560 left. By 4pm we are blacked out drunk and we head over to Red Square at Mandalay Bay to meet my buddies Russian dad. We get so messed up drinking vodka shots that I can’t eat, throw up on the floor, etc... $450 left.

At this point we end up leaving pretty inebriated and play 3 card monte on the strip. We really thought we could beat these 2 black dudes running the game and this guy kept winning... boy were we suckered. $350 left. It was a ruse to sell us drug. We got some shitty blow from them that equalized us a bit. At this point the group broke up a bit... with dudes napping or doing them in the early evening. Some wanted to go out to a night club. I did a couple more lines of blow and took my $350 to the roulette table. I had that Clark W. look on my face.

Roulette table with a dealer named Zoran. I will never forget this guy. I paid him $50 to cuss at the table. $300 left. I start off with $10 chips (minimum) playing red/black and hit a few, lose a few, etc... I then get antsy when he tells me the numbers pay 34-1. I literally start with $10 a number and hit my first two... Black 26, Black 13. Holy shit I can’t believe it. I have $1k cash. I’m 21 and have never won anything. I then play $100 on Red 23 like MJ. I hit that too! Holy shit. I have all these black chips. I’m up to about $4k now and for whatever reason I put $2k down on black. Holy shit... it hits. I have $6k cash and like the devil my 2 most ****** up buddies show up. We immediately go to Olympic Garden (old strip club) and order hoes, champagne, etc... $6k-$2500 = $3500 left. I give them both $250 bucks as we were all graduating college. $3k left..... here’s where it gets ******. I went back to the roulette table and believed I would go on the same run and lost $2500 and was back to $500. This is like 4am. Next day we went to Fremont, Slots A Fun, O’Shea’s, etc... Sunday night we went to Foundation Room and hung out with Floyd Mayweather pre-anything. He was from Michigan and so were we and my buddy recognized him. He got us in and was super gracious at that period of his life.

Gambling hasn’t wrecked my life but I have won a lot and lost a lot at times. I’ve put myself in some real uncomfortable situations with money and betting at high stakes that I shouldn’t have.
    I’m definitely down 5-6 figures in my time. Oh well.

There’s more that happened later that weekend with a hooker and a buddy but it’s safe to say I burned through all my cash and my credit and barely made it to the airport Monday morning. Only 4 of us made the flight. I love Las Vegas.
    Last edited by mjsuax13; 11-18-20 at 10:54 AM.

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 350

Great story MJ.

Went to Vegas freshman year in high school for baseball. The seniors ordered strippers and I drank a colt 45 40oz.

Strippers looked nothing like the picture in the magazine. She said they airbrush a lot of that