Justin3587
    Justin3587's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 450

What are your sports betting rules?

I usually wont touch a spread over 30 (Like Buffalo last night).

I know the usual dont tease through 0 and what not, but what are your personal rules that you have picked up along the way?

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

i will not bet any ML in a single bet that is higher than -250

hubie69
    I am JJs bookie
    hubie69's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 617

--> I have MoneyLine limits I wont bet above/below. Several Teaser Rules, including teasers being specific to NFL and no other sports. Very Very rarely run parlays.

--> Generally if you have a play you like there's rarely a reason to tease it or pair it with another wager.

--> Line Shop. Even in Iowa, I have accounts across 4 different books, locally. Despite what people will lead you to believe, the juice is comparable to off-shore if not better. With zero chance of getting stiffed, zero fee's to get money in/out, etc. And no bitcoin f*ckery either, just straight cash homie.

--> For me, I don't bet above 3% of my bankroll, typically it's half that. This part is tough for a LOT of people.

--> Fade JJ's picks, 100% on par with Morino's. I also fade Weeder but I've heard he's giving up the game

There's a lot more, but they're fairly specific to certain circumstances.
    Points Awarded:

Justin3587 gave hubie69 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Microphone
    The Voice of SBR
    Microphone's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15769

Great question Justin.

99% dog or pass in point spread points and that dog has to have a decent chance of winning the game outright.

pologq

Quote Originally Posted by Microphone View Post
    Great question Justin.

99% dog or pass in point spread points and that dog has to have a decent chance of winning the game outright.
    i have heard this before. so you never just bet a team getting points thinking they can keep it close. you have to see an angle for that dog to possibly win?

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

don't pitch the bitch

coffee is for closers

if you build it they will come

hawkeye 16
    Update your status
    hawkeye 16's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10404

- Never bet the under in a MAC game

- Try not to bet when you are extremely intoxicated. You will wake up wondering where your balance went

- A big one for me is don't "chase" your losing bets using live betting. It's hard to admit you are wrong about a game sometimes, but just take the loss and move on. It's hard to do when you liked the under at say 59, and then you start to see 67, 77, etc.
    Last edited by hawkeye 16; 11-18-20 at 08:29 AM.

pologq

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye 16 View Post

- Try not to bet when you are extremely intoxicated. You will wake up wondering where your balance went

- A big one for me is don't "chase" your losing bets using live betting. It's hard to admit your wrong about a game sometimes, but just take the loss and move on. It's hard to do when you liked the under at say 59, and then you start to see 67, 77, etc.
    on number 3. i do it a lot on sundays now in the NFL. not smart majority of the time.

Roger T. Bannon
    Roger T. Bannon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11760

Never bet with your own money.

THE HITMAN
    THE HITMAN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16230

1 Thou shalt realize that gambling is a MARATHON, not a SPRINT
    2 Thou shalt never chase
    3 Thou shalt never (sucker) tease
    4 Thou shalt never go money line above -140
    5 Thou shalt never bet without shopping all my houses
    6 Thou shalt never wager without a weather report, where applicable
    7 Thou shalt always check wagers before confirming
    8 Thou shalt, of course, never wager more than what is comfortable to lose
    9 Thou shalt realize there is no such thing as a sure winner.......or inside information
    10 Thou shalt keep, at least, a semi-decent set of records

After many, many years in this hobby, I realize/know that the more I stick to the above, the more successful I become. If you want to get rich, try the stock market. Or get a better education. Contribute the max to your 401 or IRA. Gambling is not the way to achieve that goal. Gambling REASONABLY is fun, invigorating, and exciting. Even theraputic in some instances. Do yourself a long term favor............. keep it that way !!
    Points Awarded:

hawkeye 16 gave THE HITMAN 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Justin3587

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye 16 View Post

- A big one for me is don't "chase" your losing bets using live betting. It's hard to admit you are wrong about a game sometimes, but just take the loss and move on. It's hard to do when you liked the under at say 59, and then you start to see 67, 77, etc.
    I've never thought about the MAC game one.

I am notorious for betting when drunk ha.

I dont live bet, so I am with you on that one. Seems like live betting would be extremely hard to profit on.

Justin3587

Quote Originally Posted by THE HITMAN View Post
    1 Thou shalt realize that gambling is a MARATHON, not a SPRINT
    2 Thou shalt never chase
    3 Thou shalt never (sucker) tease
    4 Thou shalt never go money line above -140
    5 Thou shalt never bet without shopping all my houses
    6 Thou shalt never wager without a weather report, where applicable
    7 Thou shalt always check wagers before confirming
    8 Thou shalt, of course, never wager more than what is comfortable to lose
    9 Thou shalt realize there is no such thing as a sure winner.......or inside information
    10 Thou shalt keep, at least, a semi-decent set of records

After many, many years in this hobby, I realize/know that the more I stick to the above, the more successful I become. If you want to get rich, try the stock market. Or get a better education. Contribute the max to your 401 or IRA. Gambling is not the way to achieve that goal. Gambling REASONABLY is fun, invigorating, and exciting. Even theraputic in some instances. Do yourself a long term favor............. keep it that way !!
    #10, do you use a spreadsheet or some kind of tracking app?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Small and many games now

No I’m gonna lose so why not have fun in bet a lot of stuff

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

I've always, and I mean for more than 25 years, thought it was off that otherwise solid handicappers, and good bettors, can't help themselves but to place some arbitrary limit on how of a price they will bet.

I can understand if the capping style calls for it, but far too many make it a broad rule.

By syaing something like "I never bet more than a -150 price" bettors are eliminating world of edges.

In fact, it's those bettors that can help create edges (although not like it was 20 years ago).

The limit seems to almost always be arbirtrary too.

It's ridiculous and the root of the issue is almost never about laying the price, it's really about how bettors managed their money when doing so. They never seem to realize that and instead take a whole universe of profitable plays, long term, out of the equation. And they do this for now reason at all, it's an arbitrary move.

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

#PoundTheWinners

THE HITMAN
    THE HITMAN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16230

Quote Originally Posted by Justin3587 View Post
    #10, do you use a spreadsheet or some kind of tracking app?
    No, I am slowing down on things, as most are, the past little while. I am old school, a lotta handwritten notes, all in order for easy reference. I always know exactly where I am $wise for the season, including straights, parlays and totals and even teams, sometimes.

CappinTerp
    CappinTerp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

Got too many to list and explain,here are just a fewo not chase !!

NO teasers
    Do not lay more than -135 !!
    Do not bet a dog unless there is a reasonable expectation of winning outright
    Power weight the games - baseball 2012 Record 20 games under .500 for +50 units-no parlays used.
    Do not chase
    Do not chase

carolinakid
    carolinakid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3661

Number 1 thing here when it come to gambling females and gambling do not go together.it a time and place to play and have fun, but females do not belong when you are gambling.....

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16121

Only have two...

fade seaweed
    fade Morino

mikmik
    mikmik's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15907

Wish I saw this, keep me grounded. I go high and low too fast . Need a steady pace.

pablo222
    pablo222's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25546

Don't lose the grocery money.

Unrivaled
    Unrivaled's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5234

Don't bet on or against Phillip Rivers. He will penetrate you either way.

BeatTheJerk
    BeatTheJerk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    Number 1 thing here when it come to gambling females and gambling do not go together.it a time and place to play and have fun, but females do not belong when you are gambling.....
    Agreed.

BeatTheJerk
    BeatTheJerk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

Quote Originally Posted by pablo222 View Post
    Don't lose the grocery money.
    Is rent money ok though ?

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Here are my rules and other participants from about 11 years ago, wow!

I believe these two threads were the 2nd or 3rd or 4th threads I created...

Hopefully you all can find some positive unexplored rules in 1st thread and a 2nd thread focusing on the most important RULE>>> Money Management!
    Link>who has the best set of rules they follow for sports betting?
    #178 posts with 11,321 Views: The thread was packed with great info from ground zero as there were surprisingly many participants.....

OP>who has the best set of rules they follow for sports betting? POST AND VOTE NOW.

SIMPLY JUST POST YOUR TEN RULES AND VOTE ON WHO'S 10 RULES YOU LIKE THE MOST. OR JUST VOTE IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SHARE YOURS. OR HANDPICK AND POST ON ONES FROM EACH LIST AND POST THEM.(NOTE)WHEN HAND PICKING YOU DON'T HAVE TO PICK 10 THERE MIGHT NOT BE TEN THAT YOU LIKE.(2ND NOTE)WHEN VOTING YOU CAN'T VOTE ON YOURSELF.

Example: on voting. just post like this: I like alabamakids list the best because: your reason and comments goes here.
    Example: on hand picking
    1 alabamakid's 5th rule post reason here
    2 johnnydangerously's 1st rule post reason here
    3 frankywhite's 3rd rule post reason here
    4 etc.
    5 etc.
    6 etc.
    7 etc.
    8 etc.
    9 etc.
    10 etc.
    Please keep comments respectful/constructive criticism only please.
    OK this is a rough draft so i will be editing as i get feedback so opinions are welcome.

OK now i will be brave enough to post my 10 rules for sports betting now.
    Remember this is a exercise to help all willing members make
    better decisions when sports betting.
    RULE#
    #1 NEVER GET ATTACHED TO BETTING ON SPECIFIC TEAMS OR SPORTS: Example the colts have been doing great for me so i am going to ride them to the bank all season: or i am sticking to football because i don't know much about basketball.
    Remember it's a game of odds not sport.

#2 ALWAYS LISTEN TO YOUR GUT: IF YOU HAVE A BAD FEELING ABOUT THE BET DON'T BET!IF HAVE A GOOD FEELING ABOUT THE BET BET IT!

#3 NEVER GO ON TILT: MEANING GETTING ANGRY WHEN YOU LOSE A BET OR MAKING FOOLISH DECISIONS LIKE DOUBLING DOWN, OR AN I'LL SHOW THEM BOOKIES ATTITUDE! "AN ANGRY MIND IS A LOSING MIND"

#4 ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT SPORTS BETTING IS THE ONLY FORM OF GAMBLING WHERE YOU CAN USE TRUE LOGIC AND NOT HAVE TO RELY SOLELY ON LUCK LIKE ALL OTHER FORMS! YOU HAVE A VAST AMOUNT OF INFORMATION ABOUT THE INVESTMENT YOUR ABOUT TO MAKE AT YOUR FINGER Tips USE IT!

#5 MODERATE YOUR HIGHS AND LOWS: WHEN YOUR ON A STREAK DON'T GET THE ATTITUDE THAT YOUR THE KING AND YOU'LL NEVER LOSE AGAIN!"Eat a huge serving of humble pie" WHEN YOU LOSE DON'T GET DOWN ON YOURSELF AND SAY THAT'S IT I'M TAKING THE BRIDGE! JUST CALM YOURSELF AND SAY TO YOURSELF OH WELL I CANT WIN THEM ALL OR ANALISE ALL YOUR DECISIONS AND SEE IF YOU MADE A MISTAKE OR I,LL DO BETTER TOMORROW. Definition of insanity:"someone who does the same thing over and over again expecting a different result"

#6 DON'T WATCH THE GAMES OR SCORES: UNLESS YOU ARE WINNING OR HAVE A GOOD FEELING ABOUT YOUR CHANCES IT IS NOT WORTH THE HELL YOU'LL PUT YOURSELF THROUGH "LIKE A WILD STALLION RUNNING TOWARDS A BURNING STABLE!" REMEMBER THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT AN OUTCOME OF A GAME BY PAYING ATTENTION TO IT.

#7 NEVER RISK A GREAT DEAL OF MONEY ON POOR ODDS:
    LIKE PARLAY'S&FUTURES. TEASERS OF MORE THAN TWO TEAMS. JUST BET SMALL AMOUNTS FOR THE FUN OF IT NOT CARING IF YOU LOSE SO THAT WHEN YOU DO WIN IT'S LIKE A CHRISTMAS PRESENT UNEXPECTED.

#8 DON'T BECOME ADDICTED: EVERYONE KNOWS WHEN THEY ARE ADDICTED (YOU JUST DON'T TELL YOURSELF) WE'LL LEAVE GAMBLERS ANONYMOUS HANDLE THIS ONE.

#9 ALWAYS MAKE DECISIONS BASED ON YOUR BEST CHANCE TO WIN NOT FAVORITISM: FOR EXAMPLE JUST BECAUSE A TEAM DESTROYED THIS WEEK DOES NOT MEAN THEY WILL NEXT WEEK OR EVERYBODY SAYS THE COWBOYS ARE GOING TO DESTROY THE GIANTS SO I GOT TO TAKE THEM. (ALWAYS ASK YOURSELF HOW CAN I GET THE ODDS IN MY FAVOR.)YOU"RE AND ALL SPORTS TEAMS ARE ONLY AS GOOD AS YOUR/THEIR LAST GAME.

#10 ALWAYS HAVE FUN: YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY. (IF YOU DON'T LOVE WHAT YOU DO YOU'LL NEVER SUCCEED)

Well folks that's my list and i am "trying" to stick to it!
    Good luck everybody

The 2nd thread consists of the ONP which was nominated as SBR permanently archived the rest of thread!!!!
    Link>Important money management rules:

OP Nominated>Originally posted on 12/14/2009:

I believe money management is one of the if not the most important rule in sports betting. Why? We all need discipline and if you set rules for yourself it's easier to keep this discipline in tact.

I am going to contribute one of my rules that really helps me out here it is:
    Always cash out 90% of your bankroll monthly. Why? because most books have a
    one free a month payout policy use it! say you are up $3,000 for the month and you say to yourself I got the power of $ on my side now I'm going to triple that this month.Wrong! you need to take your winnings out and start from scratch that way it helps you stay grounded and stick to your set of rules.

See:who has the best set of rules they follow for sports betting? POST AND VOTE NOW.IN THE PLAYERS TALK FORUM

Back to subject: Say you keep your $3,000 in your account and you are confident on your nights plays and you lose. Everybody that gambles should know that even one loss can send you on a downward spiral in a whirlwind.

One loss and you lose confidence second guess yourself and worse of all YOU can go on TILT!

MORAL OF THE STORY IS:Always bet like your down to your last dollar whether your up or down.

I would like to hear about other SBR mermbers MONEY MANAGEMENT GUIDELINES
    Please keep all comments related to the SUBJECT

Good luck everybody