Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 408

Last Second Talks Happening To Expand MLB Playoffs To 16 Teams

Major League Baseball and the Players Association are having last-minute discussions about expanding the playoffs to 16 teams for the 2020 season, Jon Heyman reports.

The 2020 regular season begins Thursday night, and as Heyman reports, both sides would need to strike a deal before first pitch, which means there's little time to come to an agreement. The current playoff structure, which has been in place since 2012, features 10 playoff teams -- six division champions and two wild card entrants per league. A 16-team field would presumably add three more wild card teams per league and swell the playoffs to four full rounds. Presently, the postseason consists of two wild card games, the LDS round, the LCS round, and the World Series.

pimike
    SPORTS IS MONEY
    pimike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 90326

Why not. It’s a short season.

I like it.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7696

Just let every team in.

pimike
    SPORTS IS MONEY
    pimike's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Just let every team in.
    Nope

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

MLB seems to be feeling more comfortable that the season will be fine to allow a possible extra month of play. This is great news!

themike78
    themike78's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10636

Horrible idea. That's what makes baseball better than other sports that there isnt so many teams in the playoffs. Hopefully it's just this year.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by themike78 View Post
    Horrible idea. That's what makes baseball better than other sports that there isnt so many teams in the playoffs. Hopefully it's just this year.
    It would be only in 2020 because of playing only 60 games.

pimike
    SPORTS IS MONEY
    pimike's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    It would be only in 2020 because of playing only 60 games.
    Right

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

Dang I thought it was approved to 16 already not paying close attention.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

??????

lakerboy

Let's see what they do. This is just an excuse to expand the playoffs for the future.

For the record no team in any sports should be in the playoffs if they don't have a winning regular season

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

They have 17 hours to get this done.

It took them 5 months to agree to even play...
    Points Awarded:

KVB gave MinnesotaFats 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Mr KLC

clockwise1965
    clockwise1965's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18366

Just use the NHL playoff format. Let's face it. The season is a wash.

mjsuax13
    mjsuax13's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 862

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Let's see what they do. This is just an excuse to expand the playoffs for the future.

For the record no team in any sports should be in the playoffs if they don't have a winning regular season
    You are so right it’s not even funny... expanding the playoffs opens up lots of losers to the playoffs. Basically a cash grab.

Buckandadime
    Act as if
    Buckandadime's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1177

It'll happen because it means more $..
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Hot Jerry

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

So all that infighting to come to a mere 60 games and now they’re talking about adding games.

I suppose the more games the better and because it’s the playoffs, people will assume a motivation.

I’ll take it if they give it, we need more games.

2daBank
    2daBank's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Quote Originally Posted by KVB View Post
    So all that infighting to come to a mere 60 games and now they’re talking about adding games.

I suppose the more games the better and because it’s the playoffs, people will assume a motivation.

I’ll take it if they give it, we need more games.
    I don’t want more games like that. 16 teams in the playoffs? That is ignorant. There be shitbag teams with sub .500 record in like the nba and nhl.

Just this One year I wouldn’t totally lose it even tho it is stupid. Problem is if they manage to get it they will never give it back! Then a 162 game season be totally pointless! What’s the point of using the long season to determine the best teams if you just gonna let everyone have a chance to win WS?? I wasn’t thrilled when they expanded to 5 teams per league with the play in. Please no more!

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

Oh yeah, make no mistake I say ok just for this year just because we need more games.

Then back to normal schedule.

KVB
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO

And you’re right it is stupid, after bitching about 47, 55, 60, 70 or whatever games they decide to expand playoffs what the fukk? LOL

clockwise1965
    clockwise1965's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18366

Play 60. Division winners and 2 wild cards from Al and Nl and let's move on. Baseball is quickly becoming the worst run sport of all the major sports.

Art Vandelay
    Corona on St. Pats... WTF!
    Art Vandelay's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 57541

More the merrier -- 2020 season is already jacked up, why not!

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10464

i like it

Brooklyn Dick
    Brooklyn Dick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22145

MLB is driven by money. Whether they agree on 16 teams for this year or not you can bet next year and all the following seasons MLB will have 16 teams in.

Baseball is not like Basketball or Football. A team that is way worse than the team they are playing can easily come up with a win or prevail in a short series. In basketball for example it will rarely happen that the worst team can beat one of the best in any series of games played. This is straight garbage dominated by money. Baseball has went downhill rapidly and this will seal the deal.

pologq
    When you are SBR you are SBR 4 Life
    pologq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5971

all of a sudden they can now play more games? might as well do a tournament round robin and let everyone in. let the 60 games mean something. it is almost like the playoffs start from day 1 anyway.

and i agree - no team should ever make the playoffs with an under 500 record in any sport except maybe hockey cause of the point structure

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

I liked 16 teams in the shortened, 9 game 1982 NFL season. Go for it!

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

The networks were a big hurdle in the first place because of the election

lakerboy

This is what I would do permanently.

Top 7 teams in each league make the playoffs based on record. Top seed gets bye first round.

2-7
    3-6
    4-5

Best of three in that round with top seed getting 2 games in a row at home. They decide which two. First two or last two.

1 then plays worst seed left. The other two teams play in a best of 5.

2 remaining teams play in the championship series. 7 games for alcs/nlcs and world series.

Do this on both sides.
    This will work well.

You can keep the division for rivalries in terms of who you play in regular season.

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Dick View Post
    MLB is driven by money. Whether they agree on 16 teams for this year or not you can bet next year and all the following seasons MLB will have 16 teams in.

Baseball is not like Basketball or Football. A team that is way worse than the team they are playing can easily come up with a win or prevail in a short series. In basketball for example it will rarely happen that the worst team can beat one of the best in any series of games played. This is straight garbage dominated by money. Baseball has went downhill rapidly and this will seal the deal.
    Well they all driven by money, that the same for every sport! Lol

Unfortunately I agree with all this. Man-turd is turning out to be the worst freaking commish across all sports! These idiots are hell bent on killing this sport I love. The problem is these morons keep trying to do all these things to bring in a demographic they will never get!

Only thing these lame attempts are gonna accomplish is driving away the die hards (like me) who love the sport! The only youthful audience they will ever succeed with is the kids of guys like me and my brother who pass it along to their children! They keep screwing with rules in a poor attempt to speed up the game (most of them are gonna turn out to be counter productive but these idiots cant see it), now water down the season adding bunch of undeserving teams to the playoffs, what gonna happen is the ppl who were passing the sport down to their kids are gonna lose interest. you can bet your ass none those changes gonna make the game exciting enough for youth to all a sudden take it up on their own!

They still have 7-8 cities where baseball thrives drawing 3 mil plus every season and get great regional ratings on the local cable networks bringing in fat tv contracts. Adding bunch of garbage teams to the playoffs in a attempt to keep mediocre teams fan bases interested longer is not gonna work, it just gonna annoy the fans they have! Can you imagine when these teams who struggled to play .500 ball all season start knocking off some the teams who deserve to be there? Gonna start getting some garbage championship series and occasional WS that incredibly lopsided!

Buckandadime
    Act as if

It should be no more than the top 1/3 making the playoffs..
    That's 10 teams..

Playoffs should be something earned based on the season not a participation award...

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by Buckandadime View Post
    It should be no more than the top 1/3 making the playoffs..
    That's 10 teams..

Playoffs should be something earned based on the season not a participation award...
    Yep. Especially when your thing is the incredibly long season! What the point in that if you gonna let a bunch of also rans into the playoffs after 162 games proving they don’t belong?!?!? I’d be fine with it for this goofy year but the problem is if they get it they will never go back!! I wasn’t thrilled with the 2nd wild card but it does keep lot more teams in it into sept and the one game playoff they have to get thru penalizes them enough that it hasn’t killed it for me. Adding any more and it be dog shit!

JayDr3am
    Handi
    JayDr3am's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8206

no way this goes through lol i get its a pandemic but how on earth is the playoff format not set yet.

Buckandadime
    Act as if

Quote Originally Posted by JayDr3am View Post
    no way this goes through lol i get its a pandemic but how on earth is the playoff format not set yet.
    I will be surprised if it doesn't because it means more money..
    That's what sports is all about..
    The bottom line..
    Is it right?
    Don't bloody well think so..

JayDr3am
    Handi
    JayDr3am's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8206

Quote Originally Posted by Buckandadime View Post
    I will be surprised if it doesn't because it means more money..
    That's what sports is all about..
    The bottom line..
    Is it right?
    Don't bloody well think so..
    youre speaking facts.

i guess i just hope they care about producing a quality product instead of cramming teams in.. if its 16 teams its going to be a few shitters that have no business being there.. idk we'll see

Art Vandelay
    Corona on St. Pats... WTF!
    Art Vandelay's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 57541

Well, that was quick! Done deal - 16 team playoff on the way!

2daBank

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Well, that was quick! Done deal - 16 team playoff on the way!
    Lousy money grubbing rooster suckers.

12 Last