1. #1
    Unrivaled
    Unrivaled's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-24-11
    Posts: 6,695
    Betpoints: 5234

    So I went to a bar (Alberta in Canada...)

    Last night, Saturday during a thunderstorm prime time for people to go to a bar or restaurant.

    Besides our table there were 2 other tables filled in the entire place.

    These businesses are going to suffer greatly, how are they going to stay afloat? This was a local place that is usually packed in normal times too.

  2. #2
    temple2010
    temple2010's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-16-10
    Posts: 1,343
    Betpoints: 3667

    They're not

  3. #3
    jjgold
    Update your status
    jjgold's Avatar File Clerk
    Join Date: 07-20-05
    Posts: 376,733
    Betpoints: 833

    most food places/bars will go bankrupt

    Nobody saying it though

  4. #4
    lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-02-09
    Posts: 88,782
    Betpoints: 66

    Sounds about right Alberta

  5. #5
    lonegambler23
    Org Mafia
    lonegambler23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-22-16
    Posts: 9,109
    Betpoints: 11193

    restaurants never should have been open, only for takeout

  6. #6
    lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-02-09
    Posts: 88,782
    Betpoints: 66

    Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    most food places/bars will go bankrupt

    Nobody saying it though
    Yup. Restaurants are done. Only the mega branded franchise types will make it but it will be miserable to work with them. Cost cutting galore.

  7. #7
    Unrivaled
    Unrivaled's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-24-11
    Posts: 6,695
    Betpoints: 5234

    Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Sounds about right Alberta
    I was under the impression from most I talk to that they've stopped caring as much but apparently not.

  8. #8
    Unrivaled
    Unrivaled's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-24-11
    Posts: 6,695
    Betpoints: 5234

    Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    most food places/bars will go bankrupt

    Nobody saying it though
    Owner of one of the restaurants had a 3 year plan to recover in the paper. Basically 3 points to recover all the losses best case can you imagine.

  9. #9
    SBR_Guest_Pro
    SBR Intern
    SBR_Guest_Pro's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 02-10-15
    Posts: 3,900
    Betpoints: 1761

    30-40% restaurant and bars expected to go out of business this year. Already half way there

    SBR Bash
    Punta Cana
    Attendee 2/4/2017


  10. #10
    Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-30-08
    Posts: 43,122
    Betpoints: 2767

    There's great Economic news

    Just look at the market!

    Roll your eyes

  11. #11
    jjgold
    Update your status
    jjgold's Avatar File Clerk
    Join Date: 07-20-05
    Posts: 376,733
    Betpoints: 833

    The market is fake

    Iím predicting a depression after the election itís going to get ugly

  12. #12
    Unrivaled
    Unrivaled's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-24-11
    Posts: 6,695
    Betpoints: 5234

    Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    The market is fake

    Iím predicting a depression after the election itís going to get ugly
    Of course it is, there isn't going to be a vaccine until mid next year at the earliest. And once fall hits it could get ugly.

  13. #13
    JIBBBY
    Have a nice day :)
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-10-09
    Posts: 69,834
    Betpoints: 86


  14. #14
    ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-04-11
    Posts: 19,355
    Betpoints: 9514

    Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Sounds about right Alberta
    Bad news, U. Bankruptcies comin.

    $20
    Angelman
    donation 02/15/2021


  15. #15
    Unrivaled
    Unrivaled's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-24-11
    Posts: 6,695
    Betpoints: 5234

    Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Lol if you're talking about being in the bar the door outside was open for air flow and there wasn't a person sitting within 40 feet of us.

    Also we are in Canada, there are like 5 to 20 cases a day in our city of 1.4 million people. We have had maybe 10 deaths in the last month in our province, youngest being in their 70s.

  16. #16
    Mike Huntertz
    Mike Huntertz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-19-09
    Posts: 9,334
    Betpoints: 3429

    It's called, staying alive. Once the worst has passed then if you're not dead you rebuild.
    It will be tough for the dead to rebuild.
    Alberta is a big place with outbreaks in a few places. This is called "dealing with the problem".
    It is the winning formula used in all successful nations to combat COVID and open up again.
    Guess what it IS working. Imagine that?

  17. #17
    SBR_Guest_Pro
    SBR Intern
    SBR_Guest_Pro's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 02-10-15
    Posts: 3,900
    Betpoints: 1761

    How you feeling to Unrivaled? any sickness?

    SBR Bash
    Punta Cana
    Attendee 2/4/2017


  18. #18
    pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-12-07
    Posts: 76,252
    Betpoints: 12

    Where in Alberta did you go? I have family living there.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 11/18/2021

    $20
    Angelman
    donation 02/15/2021


  19. #19
    Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 07-22-08
    Posts: 62,201
    Betpoints: 11946

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrivaled View Post
    Last night, Saturday during a thunderstorm prime time for people to go to a bar or restaurant.

    Besides our table there were 2 other tables filled in the entire place.

    These businesses are going to suffer greatly, how are they going to stay afloat? This was a local place that is usually packed in normal times too.

    What are the restrictions/rules currently for bars and restaurants in your region?

    Regardless of restrictions it seems that establishment was not filling up their business anywhere near the level they would be allowed to. So it's not a governmental body keeping the business from succeeding , it's consumers making a choice . That is capitalism in it's essence.

    Maybe it was the thunderstorm. I would disagree for that being a prime time for just about any business.

    But if it's not the weather, the business needs to adapt and find a way to draw customers in. That's about 95% of what a business boils down to. If that establishment didn't have it filled to near legal limits, they have work to do, to be better.

    Millions of business fail in the best of times tens of millions will fail in these times.

  20. #20
    Mike Huntertz
    Mike Huntertz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 08-19-09
    Posts: 9,334
    Betpoints: 3429

    Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    What are the restrictions/rules currently for bars and restaurants in your region?

    Regardless of restrictions it seems that establishment was not filling up their business anywhere near the level they would be allowed to. So it's not a governmental body keeping the business from succeeding , it's consumers making a choice . That is capitalism in it's essence.

    Maybe it was the thunderstorm. I would disagree for that being a prime time for just about any business.

    But if it's not the weather, the business needs to adapt and find a way to draw customers in. That's about 95% of what a business boils down to. If that establishment didn't have it filled to near legal limits, they have work to do, to be better.

    Millions of business fail in the best of times tens of millions will fail in these times.
    Good post.
    When intelligent people feel safe, THEN they begin to get on with a normal life.

  21. #21
    Black Coffee
    Black Coffee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 05-04-19
    Posts: 1,175
    Betpoints: 2285

    Canada needs a PPP loan system..

  22. #22
    Unrivaled
    Unrivaled's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-24-11
    Posts: 6,695
    Betpoints: 5234

    Quote Originally Posted by SBR_Guest_Pro View Post
    How you feeling to Unrivaled? any sickness?
    Lmao again no one was within 40 feet of us besides a waitress with a mask.

    They clean the chair and tables in front of you before you sit, they hand you a drink and before you take it wipe it down where they touched the bottom of the glass with lysol wipe. They ban access to the bathroom.

  23. #23
    Unrivaled
    Unrivaled's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-24-11
    Posts: 6,695
    Betpoints: 5234

    Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Where in Alberta did you go? I have family living there.
    Brewsters in Calgary.

  24. #24
    Unrivaled
    Unrivaled's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-24-11
    Posts: 6,695
    Betpoints: 5234

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Huntertz View Post
    It's called, staying alive. Once the worst has passed then if you're not dead you rebuild.
    It will be tough for the dead to rebuild.
    Alberta is a big place with outbreaks in a few places. This is called "dealing with the problem".
    It is the winning formula used in all successful nations to combat COVID and open up again.
    Guess what it IS working. Imagine that?
    The only things we did different than the US is test more and stay closed an extra few weeks. Also, every province did the same lockdown as it didn't become a political battle.

  25. #25
    Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 07-22-08
    Posts: 62,201
    Betpoints: 11946

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrivaled View Post
    Lmao again no one was within 40 feet of us besides a waitress with a mask.

    They clean the chair and tables in front of you before you sit, they hand you a drink and before you take it wipe it down where they touched the bottom of the glass with lysol wipe. They ban access to the bathroom.
    Get on your local social media and take 5-10 mins to fill out stellar reviews of how careful they are. Tag yourself there with a photo and say what an awesome experience it was and highlight any awesome deals and specials they have going.

    Go give them 5 stars on all the platforms like Google and yelp.

  26. #26
    Unrivaled
    Unrivaled's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-24-11
    Posts: 6,695
    Betpoints: 5234

    Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    Get on your local social media and take 5-10 mins to fill out stellar reviews of how careful they are. Tag yourself there with a photo and say what an awesome experience it was and highlight any awesome deals and specials they have going.

    Go give them 5 stars on all the platforms like Google and yelp.
    Every restaurant here does this now I'm pretty sure it's part of the government protocol to reopen. Either way I know some people who have said they aren't going to a restaurant until Covid is over.... so like a year or 2?

  27. #27
    pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 04-12-07
    Posts: 76,252
    Betpoints: 12

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrivaled View Post
    Brewsters in Calgary.
    OK. I told them not to go there since is infected with Covid-19 now. They thanked me.
    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 11/18/2021

    $20
    Angelman
    donation 02/15/2021


  28. #28
    lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 04-02-09
    Posts: 88,782
    Betpoints: 66

    Quote Originally Posted by Unrivaled View Post
    Every restaurant here does this now I'm pretty sure it's part of the government protocol to reopen. Either way I know some people who have said they aren't going to a restaurant until Covid is over.... so like a year or 2?
    I have a restaurant at home . I grab takeout here and there.

  29. #29
    Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-24-10
    Posts: 24,979
    Betpoints: 1564

    A lot of businesses are sinking. This is sad.

Top