BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

MLB is too greedy on both sides of the coin. They will find a way to screw things up.

DISTROYA
    DISTROYA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2096

Quote Originally Posted by cybersharp View Post
    Oh, and one more thing: Can we give a well-deserved rest to that silly-assed
    mantra that goes something like this:

"As soon as ONE PLAYER TESTS POSITIVE, they'll have to shut it all down!"

Really? Says who?

Why not just follow the usual protocols for highly-infectious diseases -- isolating
    the infected individuals and treating them?....Along with IMMEDIATE testing of
    anyone living/working/etc. with the stricken player? Seems to make perfect
    sense in ALL OTHER CASES, why not for the SuperFlu?

But of course, that doesn't take into account all the OTHER factors (and hidden
    agendas?) that are at work right now, does it?

So youre saying, lets say, NBA resumes. A player tests positive after a game or two. They arent going to put the team, who they played against, in quarantine? And what happens to the team(s) they were supposed to face after the fact? Re-do the schedule again? What I am saying is that the whole thing is a mess and will be much messier if they re-open this year. It is simply inevitable what I just stated will happen in every sport. Is the world overreacting? When I see people make a beeline to cross the street in open air wearing masks in an uncrowded walking path when they come 500 feet within me, yet they are within inches of each other reaching for ground beef packets at costco, yes world is paranoid and stupid.
    I mean shit, look at the EPL. Brighton has players positive before they even open the damn league. Do you realistically see them just saying "oh, lets just isolate the player that's positive, and continue with the rest of the league with our remaining roster." They aren't gonna do that. OK, they test the whole team, and staff, who they've played against (if you backtrack from time player is asymptematic, you test those they played against too) what if a few more players test positive, and then your roster is in jeopardy of presenting a full squad? Just saying there's a whole new can of worms that will open up once sports begin soon. Then the leagues are going to see this players has it, this many from this team has it, oh fcuk this shit lets just scrap again.
    The only reason curve is flattened is because of distancing, shutting down sports/business etc. We arent over anything. Just wait when everything opens up again how the numbers are going to skyrocket, then lead to further and longer shutdowns across the globe.
    Is it totally overblown the severity of this infection in regards to the mortality rate, etc. Yes absolutely. Hidden agendas, 1000% always there are. We are all puppets its always money over lives, especially in the USA.
    If it were up to me, I'd open up EVERYTHING across the board, because people need to make a living, let the chips fall where they may. The $1200 gov check (still not received BTW) is a joke.

IBetYou
    IBetYou's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16011

Think you will find the usual protocol is contact tracing, which in the case of a pro sports league means every teammate and recent opponent will be under evaluation. Test them you say? Well people don't always show symptoms right off the bat that is why they have quarantine!! When people fly into most island nations around the world now they have to do a 2 week quarantine -not just take a nose test and be on their way.

Sorry, don't want to make your head explode but the people on here are just relaying what's out there. Don't shoot the messenger.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Good post

johnnyvegas13
    johnnyvegas13's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1424

Now Charles Barkley joining shaqqq calling for cancel

Restart has falls out of public favor

IBetYou

I don;t understand why they're not doing NBA on a boat... how hard can it be to find a boat with a basketball court on? And to find workers desperate for cash to grease the wheels? Not such a big sacrifice for the players under the circumstances, and the only way to guarantee the virus doesn't interfere.

TV ratings would be through the roof!

jjgold

Boats are suicide for disease

IBetYou

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Boats are suicide for disease
    Can't you just put everyone through a strict quarantine? Minimal testing required thereafter.

johnnyvegas13

Quote Originally Posted by IBetYou View Post
    I don;t understand why they're not doing NBA on a boat... how hard can it be to find a boat with a basketball court on? And to find workers desperate for cash to grease the wheels? Not such a big sacrifice for the players under the circumstances, and the only way to guarantee the virus doesn't interfere.

TV ratings would be through the roof!
    In all seriousness I think the boat aka air craft carrier is a bad idea

johnnyvegas13

Now Cuban pushing back on shaqqq and Barkley’s comments

Also heard mba goona make a decision in 2 - 4 weeks tho that’s unofficial also

IBetYou

WNBA...

NEW YORK (AP) WNBA Commissioner Cathy Engelbert is focusing on about a half dozen scenarios for the league to begin play this summer
    Engelbert did not go into detail about each scenario, but told The Associated Press Friday that the league is looking at playing at one site, a few possibly at most instead of at every home arena.
    "I feel really good about how things are now evolving and settling," Engelbert said in a phone interview. "There's still no date (to start the season). We have had a variety of conversations moving forward. None are without challenge."
    Despite the challenges, the commissioner is optimistic '"'we can have a season this summer."
    What that season will look like is still unclear. The league has some added flexibility in it scheduling since it was originally taking off most of July and the early part of August for the 2020 Olympics. The postponement of the Tokyo Games gives the league more of a chance to have a full season.
    "We haven't taken off the table having a full season while other scenarios have a reduced amount of games," the commissioner said. "A lot depends on the trajectory and restrictions in markets."
    Engelbert said many times during the nearly 30-minute interview that the health of the players, league and team staff was of the utmost importance.
    The commissioner feels she knows a lot more about the logistical and operational challenges, as well the financial and medical hurdles, than she did when she postponed the start of the season at the beginning of April.
    Engelbert said that testing for the virus is obviously a big component to having a season. She is encouraged by the increase in the number of tests and the availability of them over the last two months.
    "Things are starting to open and starting to settle," she said. "Medical experts are starting to feel better about testing and protocols, There's still a lot of things to get through."
    She said many of the scenarios being reviewed have games being played without fans, but said if that happens, the league would be working with its broadcast partners to help expand the fan experience.
    Engelbert said while the WNBA is in constant contact with the NBA and shares many resources including medical experts, it was unlikely that the two leagues would play in the same city and venues.
    "I think it might behoove us to have our own sites certainly," she said. "From the NBA or other professional sports. Many of the leagues are looking at the same cities."
    The commissioner said that the league would start paying its players on June 1 - the date they were scheduled to start getting paid for the season. But there are still ongoing talks between the union and the league.
    The salary talks with the union include how the pay will work, roster size and salary cap that teams will have. The commissioner expects to have more details worked out before the first check is cut. Most teams have already cut down their rosters to 15 players with a couple still at 16.
    It's very possible the teams could have to get down to 12 players to fit under the cap by June 1, which means some could get cut without ever being in training camp.

johnnyvegas13

Any updates

No news now

IBetYou

Things are certainly trending in the right direction. Hysteria about the virus has turned to hysteria about lockdown -see on youtube protests all over the world. Lots of different tests being implemented -we have a new one antibody test in the UK (tells if you've had it).

I'd guess NBA & WNBA are back in July, and a new calendar for the NBA with season openers on Xmas.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 316

No resume until testing starts and players wear masks and are confined to their rooms with no contact with others. Are you telling me that NBA and NFL players will stop partying after practice and games and stay to their rooms to focus and playing games? I don't think so.

Black Coffee
    Black Coffee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2360

NFL seems to have a good shot. More time to plan.

TheLock
    TheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7931

Quote Originally Posted by Black Coffee View Post
    NFL seems to have a good shot. More time to plan.
    Disagree.

The sweet spot months for pro sports in 2020 will be July-October. After that seasonal flu will kick in and there still won’t be a vaccine for the Rona.

MLB will play July-October (maybe a little into November).

jjgold

If everyone in the United States wears masks inside facilities it will definitely keep the numbers very low and practice a little better social distancing

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 316

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    If everyone in the United States wears masks inside facilities it will definitely keep the numbers very low and practice a little better social distancing
    Look at the soccer games in Germany. Everyone on the bench and not playing wears masks and is sitting 6 feet apart. Only people without masks are the 22 players on the field and the ref with his linesmen. Even the 4th ref wears a mask.

Will NBA players and coaches wear masks and sit 6 feet apart on the bench?

Will NFL players wear masks that are on the sideline? They have to wear helmets and also come in and out of the sidelines on every play. I don't see how NFL players can wear masks and stay 6 feet apart on the sidelines. You have about 50 players and 20 coaches and trainers on the sidelines on every game and all have to talk to each other between plays.

I think MLB will be the easiest to wear masks and social distancing. The bench players and bullpen can easily sit 6 feet apart and wear masks. When teams are hitting all players can sit in the stands with 6 feet apart except batter and on deck hitter. MLB uses signs to call plays and communicate so talking between players coaches is very limited.

IBetYou

These are reasons it will fail. That's not going to stop them trying. They want to make money. These irresponsible NBA players you speak of are also likely having money trouble with their excess spending.

IBetYou

BIG3 has cancelled. If a tree falls in the woods...

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 283

NBA is discussing completing a 70-game season, to re-start in July - with a planned Thursday conference call for GMs to spitball ideas.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 283

Sources: The NCAA Division I Council voted to approve voluntary athletic activities in football, MBB and WBB to start June 1st and go through June 30th. There had been a moratorium on that through May 31st. Other sports will be acted on on a later date.

lonegambler23
    Org Mafia
    lonegambler23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13502

this is taking way too long. its already summer...

7deuceoff$uit
    7deuceoff$uit's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1756

NBA should take advantage of this situation to try something unique. Play out just 6-8 more regular season games to cap off the season. It will allow teams to shake off some rust. Then take the top 16 teams in the league, and do an NCAA style tournament in Vegas. No fans are going to be at these games anyways, so who cares where they play. Cuts down on travel, and risk exposure. It also means they don't have to complete a season/post season so late into the year that it compromises next season. I know who ever wins the tourney would have an * next to their championship, but it's an opportunity to try something new. Thoughts?

reppin_the_847
    reppin_the_847's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

The NBA may finish out the season in Orlando, Florida this summer (without fans) somewhere on the Disney campus. Stay tuned fellas.

IBetYou

Quote Originally Posted by 7deuceoff$uit View Post
    NBA should take advantage of this situation to try something unique. Play out just 6-8 more regular season games to cap off the season. It will allow teams to shake off some rust. Then take the top 16 teams in the league, and do an NCAA style tournament in Vegas. No fans are going to be at these games anyways, so who cares where they play. Cuts down on travel, and risk exposure. It also means they don't have to complete a season/post season so late into the year that it compromises next season. I know who ever wins the tourney would have an * next to their championship, but it's an opportunity to try something new. Thoughts?
    That would be fun, but best of 3/5/7 means more tv money.

cankid
    cankid's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10294

The NHL will get it done, they are on a good path to get things done eventually

Bedrockfred
    Bedrockfred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2714

Things are looking better.

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

It is not really fair because schedules imbalanced. Memphis was a massive dog to make the playoffs and now get a free pass in. They have to do at least 5 game series I think

DoctorStrong
    DoctorStrong's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 89

Rangers in '21

7deuceoff$uit

That would be fun, but best of 3/5/7 means more tv money.
    Yeah, league will come up short on tv $$$, but with how long everything is taking, trying to run a best of series will keep the league going until august. Unless they finally cut the BS 3 to 4 days off in between games.

7deuceoff$uit

Quote Originally Posted by rm18 View Post
    It is not really fair because schedules imbalanced. Memphis was a massive dog to make the playoffs and now get a free pass in. They have to do at least 5 game series I think
    Yeah, it's not fair, but unless they don't care about delaying the start of next season, which i'm guessing would also equate to shortening next season, they under a severe time crunch. Of course none of this matters if they want to make the season run from Dec-July/August going forward, but if they're not, they might as well try something off the wall like a 16 team tourney.

IBetYou

Yeah, league will come up short on tv $$$, but with how long everything is taking, trying to run a best of series will keep the league going until august. Unless they finally cut the BS 3 to 4 days off in between games.
    I think they WANT to start the season later anyway. This gives them an excuse to not compete with NFL. It also means their players aren't "borrowed" over the summer in International competition -which has bothered some NBA owners for years (good for growth of the game imo but there it is).

7deuceoff$uit

I think they WANT to start the season later anyway. This gives them an excuse to not compete with NFL. It also means their players aren't "borrowed" over the summer in International competition -which has bothered some NBA owners for years (good for growth of the game imo but there it is).
    If they do, then I guess this was the best thing that could happen. I'm wondering if overlapping with the WNBA is a reservation though???? Isn't most of the wnba owned by the nba? I would have to think they don't want the wnba bleeding their pockets even more by creating self competition.

johnnyvegas13

We r getting a decision soon

looks like they r coming back but still some doubt

First 1234 Last