Hman im using Spectrum here

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

my phone wireless so much faster than laptop speed

carolinakid
    carolinakid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3661

jj, you ever use your phone hotspot for your laptop ??

jjgold

never

carolinakid

try it and if your laptop is still slow , check your speed, when was the last time you clean up the laptop??

grease lightnin
    &
    grease lightnin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3185

Quote Originally Posted by Hman View Post
    Can you guys add the provider you're using plz, to compare

metronet. Fiber optic

jjgold

I think today I am going to put laptop back to original state

It will be like new pc and get rid of all junk

carolinakid

JJ call me crazy but i clean my computers here several time a week and always tweaking them..there are some great free software on the market today that will kept you clean on a daily thing too.

jjgold

I think the pay virus software kills your computer the one old computer I have works like it’s brand new and never put virus software on it or programs

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16097

Call Bill Gates....apparently he is an expert on viruses

carolinakid

i use norton here and have been for so many yrs, i know people say norton slow you down some but i like the protection and would not go online without it.so much crap that will kill your computer and cost you a lot of money if you do not have a good virus protection and a good firewall setup.

carolinakid

advance system care i use also to clean the computer daily, it some of the best free software i think on the market today.

HockeyRocks
    HockeyRocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6014

Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    advance system care i use also to clean the computer daily, it some of the best free software i think on the market today.
    Hey Kid, for an old fart i know nothing about this stuff. I did test my speed with you link.

Download MBPS 93.48 Upload MBPS 23.28 I have the whole package with Spectrum. That appears like it pretty much sucks compared to others i have seen. Sould i be calling Spectrum?

carolinakid

no the average spectrum speed is around 100 so you are normal and with that speed you can do most everything, i just have several computers here and many devices i push and i wanted the profession speed more, but if everything you use the computer for you are ok you are in great shape..i would say unplug your modem from the cable for about 10 and reboot everything to refresh the system.

jjgold

chromebook way to go

The money you save no virus program pays for book 2 years

carolinakid

also just be sure you get the right router to push your devices..i use a nighthawk tri band 12 stream wifi 6 here from netgear

HockeyRocks
    HockeyRocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6014

Quote Originally Posted by carolinakid View Post
    no the average spectrum speed is around 100 so you are normal and with that speed you can do most everything, i just have several computers here and many devices i push and i wanted the profession speed more, but if everything you use the computer for you are ok you are in great shape..i would say unplug your modem from the cable for about 10 and reboot everything to refresh the system.
    Thanks kid, i do reboot at least once a week.
    The problem with Spectrum here is i may lose everything for 5-6 hours at a time..Internet, TV and landline. The competition from Northstate offers 200 MBPS fiber internet for 50 nucks a month for the first 6 months or 1 Gig for 90 bucks for 18 months.

carolinakid

you may want to switch or call your local spectrum and tell them what problem you are having, plus tell em you might be switching and who know you might get a better deal at a better price.i have spectrum here for my online stuff and i use directv for my tvs. but fiber is the way we will all be going to

deltgen
    deltgen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4528

carolinakid--now I have all sorts of questions. Bear in mind that I'm not too tech savvy. I averaged a result of three tests with your link and it came to 54 down and 10 up. Your result is crazily higher than mind, but what is the advantage of that? I ask because I have no problem using internet on my phone or laptop nor do I have any issues at all with streaming via my Firestick on my TV. Is your higher speeds due to things like online gaming?
    Also, my provider is Spectrum and for those three tests I did it says they are from three different servers in two different cities, by AT&T, Wiline, and Cox. What does all that mean?
    I also did a test on my Spectrum account site. The results was similar in numbers, but had a notice that said "For best results connect your laptop of computer directly to your home's router with an ethernet cable instead of using wifi."

Does that mean if I connect directly to the router my results will be closer to some of the numbers I am seeing here? Like I said earlier, it's not that big a deal to me because everything I use the internet for here I am able to do with absolutely zero problems; I am just curious.
    I doubt you started the thread as a tech class so if you don't want to spend the time answering what might seem like dumb questions, I'll certainly understand

carolinakid

with 54 down you should to be able to use most everything like youtube ect, most spectrum average like i said is around 100, you might want to call you local office there and ask the tech guy what should be your average speed with your account, if it should be close to 100, they will send someone out to see what the problem.but yes the speed will most always be higher when you hook it up direct.i have several device and 3 computers here im using and i have many windows open at a time with devices all over the place i need speed to push, that why i pay for the added speed.when you do the test, most of the time the ping will be the closer one to your area, im not sure why you are getting 3, you can change that on the test if you like.heck when i use a out of the country vpn address it will ping in that country and the speed will drop a little too.my main advice to you would be to call your local spectrum and tell them the speed you are getting and go from there......i hope this help some..
    Points Awarded:

deltgen gave carolinakid 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

zam77
    zam77's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 687

Using WOW which is kinda the cheap cable around my parts and I just have the basic package which seems to work fine most of time. Might upgrade after reading some of these speeds though

Download 104
    Upload 10.74

clockwise1965
    clockwise1965's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18366

My speed is down as well.

deltgen
    deltgen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4528

Yeah, it answered some questions--thanks. And thanks also for not overloading me with jargon that I wouldn't have understood. Take it easy.

carolinakid

also it seems like spectrum upgrade their modems like every 6 months or so, you might want to get a new modem from them, it will not cost you anything.

carolinakid

Deltgen i tried, but again you need to call your local tech dept, they can see what account you have and what speed you should be getting, if it down they with either tell you to come in and get a new modem or send out a person to check everything out.good luck with it and let me know what you found out.have a great sunday

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16097

for everyone asking questions....TEST with a wired connection. A wireless connection could (more than likely) show slower. For the poster that stated getting 54 down that is more than likely a wireless device on a 2.4GHZ connection completing the test.

dogkatcher
    dogkatcher's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 23693

Having a marvelous day: 3.6 usually under 2.7 Frontier SUCKS>

jjgold

everything fixed\
    brand new pc
    cost 0

How??

2 Year old computer.......just did hard reset and started up again like a new pc

You will get easy 8 years out of PC with little lag if you do full system reset every 2 years, the key is do not download junk

blazing speed

only program I am downloading are Microsoft products

carolinakid

good deal there......

jjgold

Kid I do not know why more people do not do it

The key is do not download many programs so when you wipe everything out easy to get back up in 1 hr

SBR_Guest_Pro
    SBR Intern
    SBR_Guest_Pro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2939

is this a scam to collect my personal information

Microphone
    The Voice of SBR
    Microphone's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15733

Quote Originally Posted by Hman View Post
    Can you guys add the provider you're using plz, to compare
    Comcast/Xfinity whatever they are.

carolinakid

Guest Pro not at all, it just a tool to keep your online up to the speed it should have.

carolinakid

if you get a tech from your local cable company to come to your home, most of them will use this same tool to check the speed.

SBR_Guest_Pro
    SBR Intern
    SBR_Guest_Pro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2939

using comcast xfinity. Download is 204, upload is 18

First 123 Last