d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21593

Quote Originally Posted by OVAKUL View Post
    Off the board!
    Off The Board where? Predictit trading market is up and running.

Harris 46
    Rice 26
    Bass 23

thomorino
    thomorino's Avatar Become A Pro!

Karen Bass is a far left crazy person who thinks left wing dictators are heroes, her odds of winning the vote spot are likely way too high.

TheGuesser
    TheGuesser's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24835

Quote Originally Posted by thomorino View Post
    Karen Bass is a far left crazy person who thinks left wing dictators are heroes, her odds of winning the vote spot are likely way too high.
    And a Scientologist supporter. And too old at 67. And Her Castro support would be giving away Florida. Rule #1 of naming a VP nominee is do no harm(see Palin for an example of harm). Bass would be harmful to Biden's chances. Kamala is BY FAR Biden's best choice. Hopefully he's still sharp enough to make it.

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10214

Yikes!! TweedleDum and TweedleDee

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8560

how pathetic is it that you are supposedly choosing between 3 black women rather than the best PERSON for the job? Never mind these are 3 horrible choices to begin with. What a shit show.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
    how pathetic is it that you are supposedly choosing between 3 black women rather than the best PERSON for the job? Never mind these are 3 horrible choices to begin with. What a shit show.
    It's not pathetic. It's called a strategy to win. The US supplied Stalin with tanks and airplanes to defeat the Nazis. That doesn't mean the US likes communists.

DwightShrute

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    It's not pathetic. It's called a strategy to win. The US supplied Stalin with tanks and airplanes to defeat the Nazis. That doesn't mean the US likes communists.

nope, its pathetic. Identity politics is.

How in Earth does the US, Stalin, airplanes and Nazi have anything to do with the color of someone's skin and whether they have a vagina or not? Which was my point. Did anyone care if these planes were built by black women or not or did they just care if they were built well?
    Last edited by DwightShrute; 08-01-20 at 09:21 AM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: 19th Hole

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

DwightShrute

of course but that has nothing to do with the color of your skin or if you have a vagina or not. How bout we stop using identity politics and race baiting and just treat people the same? Hire them solely based on their abilities. They do that in the NBA and do you hear anyone complaining there aren't enough white players?

Headsterx
    Headsterx's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2175

Quote Originally Posted by 19th Hole View Post
    Yikes!! TweedleDum and TweedleDee

19th Hole

Biden confidants reportedly see VP list narrowed down to 2

Biden confidants reportedly point to Harris and Rice as the finalists

thomorino

I would think the Biden campaign knows picking Rice sends the wrong message, it says Biden just wants to run for Obama’s their term. Rice has baggage too because of Benghazi and she’s never campaigned or been elected to anything. I don’t see the left having any enthusiasm for her.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

of course but that has nothing to do with the color of your skin or if you have a vagina or not. How bout we stop using identity politics and race baiting and just treat people the same? Hire them solely based on their abilities. They do that in the NBA and do you hear anyone complaining there aren't enough white players?
    America has never treated everyone the same systemically... Maybe Dwight has, maybe I have but as a nation we have largely failed at treating everyone the same.

19th Hole

nope, its pathetic. Identity politics is.

How in Earth does the US, Stalin, airplanes and Nazi have anything to do with the color of someone's skin and whether they have a vagina or not? Which was my point. Did anyone care if these planes were built by black women or not or did they just care if they were built well?
    ~~~~~

On SBR and from kids riding the short bus you can find Pavy types
    bringing up historical non-sequiturs to bolster a fallacious POV.
    We are asked to consider a false dichotomy.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Current Predictit Odds:
    Harris 40
    Rice 36
    Whitmer 15

Mike Huntertz
    Mike Huntertz's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22632

What a novel idea. Too bad nobody will listen.
    If you can't pass a grade they pass anyway. It starts very young, before jobs are even a consideration. Ribbons for showing up.
    Things like affirmative action set the bar too low and that is as high as any minority tries to get to.
    It stops people from trying to be as good as you can be. It's racist against the people their trying to help.

DwightShrute

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: mpaschal34

DwightShrute

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Huntertz View Post
    What a novel idea. Too bad nobody will listen.
    If you can't pass a grade they pass anyway. It starts very young, before jobs are even a consideration. Ribbons for showing up.
    Things like affirmative action set the bar too low and that is as high as any minority tries to get to.
    It stops people from trying to be as good as you can be. It's racist against the people their trying to help.
    yup and all those kids who received participation trophies have grown up now. They are offended by pancake syrup and statues. They invented safe spaces and coloring books on college campuses after Trump won in 2016. They invented cancel culture, virtue signalling and lose their minds whenever they see someone wearing a red hat. If you disagree with them, you are racist and literally Hitler.

MaltedHopsFrenzy
    MaltedHopsFrenzy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7439

If Sleepy McCreepy wins, he ain't going to last 4 months as POTUS, let alone 4 years, so whoever gets picked as VP is probably going to be POTUS at some point. That's probably why it's taking so long to pick someone, because everyone knows they're really picking the next President. But Kamala Harris?!?!
    WTF?!?!
    Why is this dumb wh0re even being considered?
    If she's the pick, you just guaranteed MAGA for another 4. Better yet, let's just stick with that plan.....

#MAGA2020

DwightShrute

here's another reason the NY Times has become such a joke. Didn't a woman (Crooked Hillary) run for president in 2016 with a man running mate and didn't the NY Times act as a shill for her?

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19539

I don't think it's going to be Harris. The fact that his notes were so easily photographed is suspicious; it's as if he wanted then to be spotted for some reason. I think he's still miffed at Harris' debate attack and he wants to pay her back by making her think she's the one then pulling the rug from under her.

thomorino

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHorseplayer View Post
    I don't think it's going to be Harris. The fact that his notes were so easily photographed is suspicious; it's as if he wanted then to be spotted for some reason. I think he's still miffed at Harris' debate attack and he wants to pay her back by making her think she's the one then pulling the rug from under her.
    Biden doesn’t know what day it is the idea he deliberately planted notes is ridiculous. Biden has been a politician for over 40 years, if he’s not going to refuse to pick harris because of a debate.

Harriss team has been ruthless dumping opposition research on opponents but I don’t see that mattering.

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

Anyone but Harris and I will be happy.
    With that said, I bet on Harris becoming the VP.

Seattle Slew
    Seattle Slew's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9566

This is 100 percent correct, but Biden has never been a good decision maker. He should pick Harris, but dragging it out like this means he really wants Rice.

Just pick someone and be done. Whoever it is will face an onslaught of attacks.

I would think the Biden campaign knows picking Rice sends the wrong message, it says Biden just wants to run for Obama’s their term. Rice has baggage too because of Benghazi and she’s never campaigned or been elected to anything. I don’t see the left having any enthusiasm for her.

DucktheHoward
    DucktheHoward's Avatar Become A Pro!

Keisha currently at 100 to 1!
    Last edited by DucktheHoward; 08-10-20 at 12:50 PM. Reason: update odds

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Biden's keeping a helluva secret here with announcement probably in the nest couple of days. Still pretty close to 50/50 now Harris or Rice.

DucktheHoward

In my roughly 20 years of gambling, I have never found a long shot that I felt so good about. Will KLB be selected? No, most likely not, but I will feel a sting of disappointment, as I am invested for over $100 at an average of 70 to 1. I started buying shares when she was around 25 to 1, and when she dropped down to 90 and 100 to 1, I scooped up some more. Just in case it hits, I thought, I don't want to be in for a measly 10 or 20 bucks.

So, why do I like this bet so much that I have bothered to go thru such trouble?

Really, 2 points lead me down this path. First, Biden MUST select a black woman. I really don't think he has a choice at this point. As Charlamagne the God said a couple weeks ago, "Biden needs to STFU....and announce his black woman VP so I can be excited about voting for her". The second point is, if Biden goes away from Harris/Rice, who would be the most logical choice?

Now, WHY would Biden go away from Rice (+179) or Harris (+117) in favor of KLB (now back to +10000). First, let's deal with Rice. Whether you support Biden or not, chances are, you don't hate the guy. People hate Trump, just like people hated Hillary. People really don't dislike Biden to the point that they would go out and vote AGAINST him. However, people hate Susan Rice. Voters who would simply sit out the election, or Trump voters who might be thinking of voting for Biden, would show up to protest vote against Susan Rice. Polling indicates that right now, a solid majority of the electorate has bought into the argument that Joe Biden's VP would be the one really calling the shots. Also not to be ignored, John Kasich has agreed to appear at next week's convention on Biden's behalf. I don't see someone like Kasich, who most likely wants to remain in politics, putting himself in position where he supported Susan Rice to be the next president. A lot of moderate anti-Trump republicans would run far away from Biden rather thank link themselves to Susan Rice.

Now, looking at the front runner, people say that Kamela Harris would be the safest choice, but is this really true? When you start a conversation with someone by saying, "I'm not calling you a racist, but..." well, IMO, you are calling that person a racist, and Kamela Harris did that very thing to Joe Biden at their famous "busing" debate. Biden also has some highly controversial comments on video ("I don't want my kids growing up in a racial jungle") from that same early 1970s time period. By putting Harris on the ticket, Biden suddenly opens the door on creating a debate on who's the bigger racist between him and Trump, and why would he want that headache? Let's also not forget Kamela's time as a prosecutor -- remember that time she joked on the radio about smoking weed, yet as a prosecutor, she went after people for that very thing? Where is the upside in picking Kamela Harris, where is the "safe" side of picking Kamela Harris?

So, looking beyond Rice/Harris, who do we have left? A couple weeks ago Karen Bass (+2100) was the pick of the day, rising as high as +400 or so, but her past remarks on Castro have come back to end her little run. I am old enough to remember when democrats themselves shouted Bernie Sanders down for daring to say that Castro had good schools. Val Demmings (+3000)? She is an intriguing pick, but some vocal leaders within the BLM movement have spoken out against her due to her past role as a uniformed police officer, and Biden and the democrats have shown absolutely no desire to go against BLM.

Now, we get to KLB, the mayor of Atlanta. Remember when Stacy Abrams came withing a nose hair of beating out the republican candidate for governor? Most pundits say that Georgia is ripe for the taking, and someone like KLB could just help him put that state in the democrats' pocket. She was the first major political person to endorse Biden and has stuck by his side, even when it looked like he was on the verge of dropping out of the race. A recent Morning Consult focus group showed that of all the VP contenders, Bottoms was the most liked (Duckworth came in 2nd, but she ain't black), and none of the other candidates polled above 50%. She has been on the right side of the mask debate, even to a point of being sued by the governor. She has an intriguing personal story that would connect with the black community, including her father being a popular R&B singer who once performed on the same stage as the Beatles.

With someone like KLB, obviously you would worry about having a Sarah Palin moment ("I can see Russia from my house"), but it wouldn't be too difficult to keep her on democrat friendly networks and avoid the types of questions that could get her into trouble. Also, let's not forget that Biden recently said it was not necessary for his VP pick to be an expert on foreign policy -- Biden considers himself an expert and said that he expects to take the lead on foreign policy. He wants his VP to focus her efforts on domestic issues, and what are the issues of the day here at home? Corona virus and racial equality, and KLB checks both of these blocks.

Anyway, it's probably going to be Harris/Rice, people like me don't hit these 100 to 1 shots, but I don't believe I've ever seen a 100 to 1 shot that I could make a case for. If you are looking for a last second play on the VP selection, Keisha Lance Bottoms is your best bet not named Harris/Rice.

thomorino

Quote Originally Posted by DucktheHoward View Post
    In my roughly 20 years of gambling, I have never found a long shot that I felt so good about. Will KLB be selected? No, most likely not, but I will feel a sting of disappointment, as I am invested for over $100 at an average of 70 to 1. I started buying shares when she was around 25 to 1, and when she dropped down to 90 and 100 to 1, I scooped up some more. Just in case it hits, I thought, I don't want to be in for a measly 10 or 20 bucks.

So, why do I like this bet so much that I have bothered to go thru such trouble?

Really, 2 points lead me down this path. First, Biden MUST select a black woman. I really don't think he has a choice at this point. As Charlamagne the God said a couple weeks ago, "Biden needs to STFU....and announce his black woman VP so I can be excited about voting for her". The second point is, if Biden goes away from Harris/Rice, who would be the most logical choice?

Now, WHY would Biden go away from Rice (+179) or Harris (+117) in favor of KLB (now back to +10000). First, let's deal with Rice. Whether you support Biden or not, chances are, you don't hate the guy. People hate Trump, just like people hated Hillary. People really don't dislike Biden to the point that they would go out and vote AGAINST him. However, people hate Susan Rice. Voters who would simply sit out the election, or Trump voters who might be thinking of voting for Biden, would show up to protest vote against Susan Rice. Polling indicates that right now, a solid majority of the electorate has bought into the argument that Joe Biden's VP would be the one really calling the shots. Also not to be ignored, John Kasich has agreed to appear at next week's convention on Biden's behalf. I don't see someone like Kasich, who most likely wants to remain in politics, putting himself in position where he supported Susan Rice to be the next president. A lot of moderate anti-Trump republicans would run far away from Biden rather thank link themselves to Susan Rice.

Now, looking at the front runner, people say that Kamela Harris would be the safest choice, but is this really true? When you start a conversation with someone by saying, "I'm not calling you a racist, but..." well, IMO, you are calling that person a racist, and Kamela Harris did that very thing to Joe Biden at their famous "busing" debate. Biden also has some highly controversial comments on video ("I don't want my kids growing up in a racial jungle") from that same early 1970s time period. By putting Harris on the ticket, Biden suddenly opens the door on creating a debate on who's the bigger racist between him and Trump, and why would he want that headache? Let's also not forget Kamela's time as a prosecutor -- remember that time she joked on the radio about smoking weed, yet as a prosecutor, she went after people for that very thing? Where is the upside in picking Kamela Harris, where is the "safe" side of picking Kamela Harris?

So, looking beyond Rice/Harris, who do we have left? A couple weeks ago Karen Bass (+2100) was the pick of the day, rising as high as +400 or so, but her past remarks on Castro have come back to end her little run. I am old enough to remember when democrats themselves shouted Bernie Sanders down for daring to say that Castro had good schools. Val Demmings (+3000)? She is an intriguing pick, but some vocal leaders within the BLM movement have spoken out against her due to her past role as a uniformed police officer, and Biden and the democrats have shown absolutely no desire to go against BLM.

Now, we get to KLB, the mayor of Atlanta. Remember when Stacy Abrams came withing a nose hair of beating out the republican candidate for governor? Most pundits say that Georgia is ripe for the taking, and someone like KLB could just help him put that state in the democrats' pocket. She was the first major political person to endorse Biden and has stuck by his side, even when it looked like he was on the verge of dropping out of the race. A recent Morning Consult focus group showed that of all the VP contenders, Bottoms was the most liked (Duckworth came in 2nd, but she ain't black), and none of the other candidates polled above 50%. She has been on the right side of the mask debate, even to a point of being sued by the governor. She has an intriguing personal story that would connect with the black community, including her father being a popular R&B singer who once performed on the same stage as the Beatles.

With someone like KLB, obviously you would worry about having a Sarah Palin moment ("I can see Russia from my house"), but it wouldn't be too difficult to keep her on democrat friendly networks and avoid the types of questions that could get her into trouble. Also, let's not forget that Biden recently said it was not necessary for his VP pick to be an expert on foreign policy -- Biden considers himself an expert and said that he expects to take the lead on foreign policy. He wants his VP to focus her efforts on domestic issues, and what are the issues of the day here at home? Corona virus and racial equality, and KLB checks both of these blocks.

Anyway, it's probably going to be Harris/Rice, people like me don't hit these 100 to 1 shots, but I don't believe I've ever seen a 100 to 1 shot that I could make a case for. If you are looking for a last second play on the VP selection, Keisha Lance Bottoms is your best bet not named Harris/Rice.
    Bottoms is an idiot with no qualifications for the vice presidency at all, she has no national profile or national experience, she’s also stupid.

thomorino

The political upside for Biden in picking Harris is obvious, she appeals to young people, progressives, and African Americans, bottoms adds almost nothing to the ticket and is a big risk because she’s untested nationally.

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 53

great writeup

but you are admitting the democrats play identity politics

sad

DucktheHoward

The political upside for Biden in picking Harris is obvious, she appeals to young people, progressives, and African Americans, bottoms adds almost nothing to the ticket and is a big risk because she’s untested nationally.
    I don't see that at all -- she was one of the first people to drop out of the race -- she was criticized by many as being a horrible campaigner. Granted, with everything going virtual, she won't have to worry about conventional campaigning, but where is the evidence that she has this "mass appeal"?

I mean, what percentage of the vote was she getting at the time she dropped out of the race? The progressives were split between Bernie and Warren, and the more moderate voters were going with Biden, Buttigeg, and Bloomberg

DucktheHoward

I will add a couple more quick points -- I feel like an announcement will drop any time and want to make sure I get it all out there in case I turn out to be right....

Remember about 2 weeks ago when reporters photographed Biden's notes, where he had 5 points written down about Kamela Harris? This came shortly after Chris Dodd, one of Biden's VP vetters, was quoted as saying that he didn't care for Harris and she had ruined her chances at being named VP for the way she came at Biden during the debate. After Biden's notes were captured on tape, people rushed out and bought up more shares of Harris, thinking that Biden was sending a signal to Harris. However, the way I chose to read it is this: Biden had made a decision NOT to pick Harris, and the leaking of Chris Dodd's comments was to give Biden cover. Let Dodd be the A-hole.

2nd, what was Joe Biden doing on Saturday when he answered "yes" to the question of whether he had chosen a running mate? He was riding a bike! And guess which VP contender JUST LAST YEAR passed the first ever bicycle and scooter safety bill in Atlanta? Was the bike ride symbolism, meant to send a signal to a certain mayor from Atlanta? Which other VP contender has any history with bicycles? When has Joe Biden ever been captured riding a bicycle in his 40 plus years in office?

For 100 to 1 payout, I'll read into things however I want!

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

I will add a couple more quick points -- I feel like an announcement will drop any time and want to make sure I get it all out there in case I turn out to be right....

Remember about 2 weeks ago when reporters photographed Biden's notes, where he had 5 points written down about Kamela Harris? This came shortly after Chris Dodd, one of Biden's VP vetters, was quoted as saying that he didn't care for Harris and she had ruined her chances at being named VP for the way she came at Biden during the debate. After Biden's notes were captured on tape, people rushed out and bought up more shares of Harris, thinking that Biden was sending a signal to Harris. However, the way I chose to read it is this: Biden had made a decision NOT to pick Harris, and the leaking of Chris Dodd's comments was to give Biden cover. Let Dodd be the A-hole.

2nd, what was Joe Biden doing on Saturday when he answered "yes" to the question of whether he had chosen a running mate? He was riding a bike! And guess which VP contender JUST LAST YEAR passed the first ever bicycle and scooter safety bill in Atlanta? Was the bike ride symbolism, meant to send a signal to a certain mayor from Atlanta? Which other VP contender has any history with bicycles? When has Joe Biden ever been captured riding a bicycle in his 40 plus years in office?

For 100 to 1 payout, I'll read into things however I want!
    lol well good luck. Major kudos if you read that right. But sometimes a bicycle is just a bicycle.

DucktheHoward

Quote Originally Posted by RudyRuetigger View Post
    great writeup

but you are admitting the democrats play identity politics

sad

Could he get away with picking a non black woman? Let's say if he goes with Whitmer, which would make sense if he hadn't boxed himself in by playing identity politics. If he were to take Whitmer, does that signal that they have polling which indicates his lead in Michigan, and with white women suburban voters, is not as safe as the public polling indicates? And Whitmer is a divisive figure herself. I just don't see Whtmer, although at +900, she is certainly within the realm of "reasonable odds"

The way politics works, I see the last minute leaks on Whitmer being done more to raise her profile than it is any notion that she has a chance at being picked. Also, the past few days, there has been more grumbling that Biden has not paid attention to certain candidates because they don't fit a certain demographic. The campaign will certainly want to be able to point and say, "See, we looked at white people too."

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

I think if Biden "gets" to choose, it's Rice; if they choose for him, it's Harris.

First ... 11121314151617 ... Last