Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

Will MLB Players Get Paid During This Stoppage?

Even they're wondering the answer to that. Jason Kipnis indicated that they're uncertain about that themselves. That, along with the service time issue, will be a hotly contested debate between labor and ownership. You can bet the owners won't be keen on paying out millions in salary at a time when their revenue is effectively halted, but there's no way the union will just accept that.

It'll be particularly stressful for minor leaguers -- many of whom are barely even played a livable wage in the first place.

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 53

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    It'll be particularly stressful for minor leaguers -- many of whom are barely even played a livable wage in the first place.
    this is what matters

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

The XFL has given its players approval to sign with NFL teams any time after they pass exit physicals Friday, sources told ESPN. Originally, XFL contracts said players could not sign with NFL teams until after the XFL playoffs.

Despite the cancellation, the league said all players will be paid their base pay and benefits for the regular season, while ticket holders will receive refunds or credit toward future games.

big joe 1212
    big joe 1212's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5365

I’m more worried about how the working Americans will be able afford living. penetrate most of these rich fukks

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47650

Quote Originally Posted by big joe 1212 View Post
    I’m more worried about how the working Americans will be able afford living. penetrate most of these rich fukks
    agreed

why should they get paid if owners can't make any revenue?

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

who the hell cares
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: jimmy vandall

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

The league is providing players with three options, per Jesse Dougherty of the Washington Post (Twitter links). They can go to their personal homes, which is the apparent preference of the league, though there’s a warning there for players who reside in other countries owing to potential travel restrictions. Players can instead remain in camp facilities and continue to receive living allowances. Or they may go to the home city of their particular club.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Some industry sources think it will be May before the MLB season begins. Two sources say they've heard Memorial Day Weekend as a target date, and multiple other sources swear the season will not begin until June. Clearly, the coronavirus and the health of the nation will have much to say about all of it.

So as commissioner Rob Manfred and players union boss Tony Clark sat down in Phoenix on Friday to start figuring out the myriad details in front of them, they ranged from the smaller (will players be allowed to leave during this break in spring camps or would they, in effect, be forced to stay by clubs?) to the larger (if the schedule winds up being reduced to, say, 140 games, or 130, will players be paid their full salaries or will the money be prorated?). And when would those checks begin? Players are not paid until Opening Day, so with a delay of the season comes a delay in paychecks.

Also, beyond each club's 40-man roster, all of the minor leaguers now are in camp. Some clubs, like the Padres, already have decided to send them home. Others are still evaluating what to do—and if they keep the minor leaguers in camp in an informal setting with no games, how to continue to feed them, as minor leaguers do not receive the 40-man roster per diem and represent baseball's version of a minimum-wage worker (or, in reality, less than minimum wage). MLB recommended Friday that clubs go ahead and send their minor leaguers home, so it is assumed that all 30 clubs will wind up doing just that.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Good news: All minor league players will be receiving $400 a week from Major League Baseball teams through at least May 31, source tells ESPN. They’ll receive medical benefits, too.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I would think these players will take some cuts

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO

Shin-Soo Choo is giving $1,000 to every Texas Rangers minor leaguer — all 190 of them.

gojetsgomoxies
    gojetsgomoxies's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8519

KLC, is that possible memorial weekend starting date the current thinking? i.e. today or last few days.

seems optimistic to me............

every day i expect to hear promising news from USA (i live in canada, so canada/usa are the key places to me) but it never seems to come.

RudyRuetigger
    Leave of absence until March Madness
    RudyRuetigger's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 53

Quote Originally Posted by gojetsgomoxies View Post
    KLC, is that possible memorial weekend starting date the current thinking? i.e. today or last few days.

seems optimistic to me............

every day i expect to hear promising news from USA (i live in canada, so canada/usa are the key places to me) but it never seems to come.
    then rely on yourself instead of USA

hell, i dont even rely on the next USA let alone canada or mexico

wake up call to get your shit together

stake1
    stake1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2438

All paid. Contract year counts too. Sucks for Dodgers, Betts will be a free agent and likely never play an inning for them, even though they had to pay him

Enkhbat
    Enkhbat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 26359

I hope minor league players get paid at least half of their salary and qualify for unemployment benefits.

TheLock
    TheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7931

July 4th Opening Day likely

nyplayer33
    nyplayer33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Wait...baseball will open to public ?? Yankee games with fans etc or just players ??

TheLock

Quote Originally Posted by nyplayer33 View Post
    Wait...baseball will open to public ?? Yankee games with fans etc or just players ??
    I believe MLB games will start with no fans

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

Dodgers just taking that Betts trade right up the ass lol

clockwise1965
    clockwise1965's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18366

I could care less. Owners are billionaires and major league players are multi millionaires.

The heck with them.

I golf most of the summer anyway.

TheLock

Quote Originally Posted by clockwise1965 View Post
    I could care less. Owners are billionaires and major league players are multi millionaires.

The heck with them.

I golf most of the summer anyway.
    Thanks for check in with your take on this. We were all wondering how you felt about all this.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32231

If one has a guaranteed contract, then yes.
    A guarantee is just that, a guarantee.

TheLock

My season ticket rep just called me. They expect to get word from MLB within the next 14 days as to what the new schedule will look like.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by TheLock View Post
    My season ticket rep just called me. They expect to get word from MLB within the next 14 days as to what the new schedule will look like.
    Well if you read between the lines MLB cancelled the London series in mid-June.

clockwise1965
    clockwise1965's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18366

Thanks for check in with your take on this. We were all wondering how you felt about all this.
    And now you know.

It was also very interesting to hear what your season ticket sales rep had to say.

It's doubtful there will be baseball this year.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

They shouldn't be paid. Just take the $1200 check that Trump is giving out and then file for unemployment. Thay should be good for 17 weeks.

RockBottom
    RockBottom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22623

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Well if you read between the lines MLB cancelled the London series in mid-June.
    They "rescheduled" those games to be played in St Louis. Without reading between the lines, there is way too much uncertainity involving the situation here and in London. Most likely insurance money came into play here also.

RockBottom
    RockBottom's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 22623

I don't know how MLB would have any clue right now, especially in Miami. I do hope you get to use some of those tickets this year.

TheLock

Quote Originally Posted by RockBottom View Post
    They "rescheduled" those games to be played in St Louis. Without reading between the lines, there is way too much uncertainity involving the situation here and in London. Most likely insurance money came into play here also.
    Sharp post.

pimike
    SPORTS IS MONEY
    pimike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 90300

stevenash

Sharp post.
    Indeed.

MinnesotaFats
    MinnesotaFats's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1664

MLB does NOT get paid.

The union is covering $1100 per week for everyone on the 40 man roster thru 2019 and all MLB spring training invitees. The individual contract terms are meaningless.

NHL paid its players thru years end already

NBA has invoked the Force Majure clause so that'll be litigated or arbitrated....