HockeyRocks
    HockeyRocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6014

Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
    back in 08 it would take the banks mos to get someone out of their home after they stopped paying their mortgages.

however, the electric and gas and water companies will cut you off real quick, No?

if your credit is going to get fukked anyway and you are heading for BK, just stop paying the mortgage first, No?
    Come on Homie, your smater than your comments...Do you have a mortgage? Do you rent? Do have utilty payments each month?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I’m sure there’s gonna be a lot of foreclosures next year a great time to buy

homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11029

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyRocks View Post
    Come on Homie, your smater than your comments...Do you have a mortgage? Do you rent? Do have utilty payments each month?
    i have a mortgage and utility bills but i have also been saving for many years so fortunately do not have to make any decisions on what needs to be paid and what does not.

i am just saying that back in 08 i heard people just stopped making mortgage payments and still stayed in their homes for 6 mos.

again, if you are heading towards financial dire straits and BK is in your near future, then why not save the mortgage (usually largest monthly cost for people) so at least you have cash in hand ??

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21617

i have a mortgage and utility bills but i have also been saving for many years so fortunately do not have to make any decisions on what needs to be paid and what does not.

i am just saying that back in 08 i heard people just stopped making mortgage payments and still stayed in their homes for 6 mos.

again, if you are heading towards financial dire straits and BK is in your near future, then why not save the mortgage (usually largest monthly cost for people) so at least you have cash in hand ??
    Utilities aren't even shutting off for a period of time.

I agree with you. It really depends on an individual's situation. But if someone is broke, stopping mortgage now might make sense. I feel bad for people in that spot. I think I'm like you. Market drop hurts, but I'm in a good place financially. I feel really bad for anyone just starting out now with student loans and no savings or real assets. Back to parent's house? My life woulda felt fukked if this had happened 20 years ago.

HockeyRocks
    HockeyRocks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6014

This is not 08. Much much different than 08...In many areas of the country, workers may be back to work within 6 months........Banks, mortagage lenders have learned there lesson from that time period. They are much much more inclined to work with people instead of hanging the foreclosure sign out. I suggested you at lease call your bank and try and work something out especially if your a family and end up receiving 2-3K from this stimulus bill. You seem to blow that off....To not even call your bank is ignorant. jmo.....If you call your bank and at least ofer to pay the interest, your bank is not out anything and your credit could still be intact.
    Last edited by HockeyRocks; 03-25-20 at 01:13 PM.

homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11029

please do not take this as me being an A-hole but my AGI for 2018 Tax was north of $200K so I am not going to see a penny even though i filed married-filing-jointly

my 2019 AGI is around $170K because I took a significant haircut last year income-wise, and even though i just filed my 2019 return, i believe the IRS will use the 2018 return when reporting to the FED GOV'T so i think i am getting nothing from the stimulus in terms of a check.

i am okay with that. some others need it much more than me.

back in 2008, i could have used a check or two, LOL

harthebar
    harthebar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9688

a lot of wisdom here thanks

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

please do not take this as me being an A-hole but my AGI for 2018 Tax was north of $200K so I am not going to see a penny even though i filed married-filing-jointly

my 2019 AGI is around $170K because I took a significant haircut last year income-wise, and even though i just filed my 2019 return, i believe the IRS will use the 2018 return when reporting to the FED GOV'T so i think i am getting nothing from the stimulus in terms of a check.

i am okay with that. some others need it much more than me.

back in 2008, i could have used a check or two, LOL
    My understanding is you should be able to also get it as a credit on your 2020 return if your income in 2020 falls below threshold.

harthebar
    harthebar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9688

suppose if you havent filed yet, they going to wait till you file to get it

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by harthebar View Post
    suppose if you havent filed yet, they going to wait till you file to get it
    No, they will go by 2018 return. But if you haven't filed that, do it now.

slewfan
    slewfan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10270

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Start buying and stop selling now.. Corona end is near..

Dow Stock market is in the toilet now at under 20 gees.. You don't sell in a down market you buy in times like this.. That's how you get richer.. Time is your friend even if the stock market drops to 15 gees after you buy in a month from now..

Check back in a year or two and you hit the lotto when order is restored... Don't have to be a rocket scientist or a brain surgeon to understand this.

You just need a little Patience and understanding!!!
    Well said. !

clockwise1965
    clockwise1965's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18366

Buy whatever stocks you can afford in the technology and travel sectors.

With regard to selling stocks now. Don't!

Hang tough imo.

First 123