Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9216

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongside View Post

If you don't mind, can you elaborate on what that means exactly?
    the blockchain wallet, or any standalone wallet app, is like holding your money in a cash box only you have the key to.

If you leave money in an exchange owned wallet, Coinbase, Gemini, Kraken, Bittrex, Bifinance, Independentreserve, etc etc then you do not have complete control.

Not that I think it is likely, but say a state of emergency was declared where US govt said no financial institutions can transfer money, then Coinbase would be forced to lock your money down.

No one, not even POTUS can do anything to touch or stop movement of your money if held in your own wallet.

asiagambler
    asiagambler's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 31736

There is still very little regulation in this industry. Far from impossible for an exchange to just disappear with your money, it's happened before

Exchanges can also be hacked, or even just claim to be "hacked" and force you to take a haircut and what recourse would you have? None as a lot of them operate in shady jurisdictions
    Points Awarded:

MeanPeopleSuck gave asiagambler 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Arky
    Arky's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 18880

Quote Originally Posted by deadphish View Post
    is there bitcoin "savings accounts"?
    what is the safest/smartest place to store bitcoin?
    Safest is a hardware wallet. Get A Ledger or a Trezor. If you're just dealing with 1-4 cryptos, a Ledger Nano S is affordable at $59 and not that hard to use with a little time invested. More than 5 cryptos, go for the Ledger Nano X @ $119.

https://www.ledger.com/

With a hardware wallet, the private keys are kept secret even from you - they are kept on the device - you hold the private keys in your hand. With the case of Bitcoin on a Ledger, you can generate a new public key for each and every Receive transaction but the private key will always stay the same.

There are ways to earn interest on Bitcoin and other cryptos but they usually involve you turning over your crypto to them and hope they don't get hacked or abscond with your funds. Look into BlockFi.com and crypto.com if you're interested. I'm on crypto.com and currently have about 1/2 my crypto "staked" and earning 4-6% interest. I'd stake it all if I felt 100% safe about it.... Check Youtube for introductory material and tutorials on both these websites and the hardware wallets...

deadphish
    deadphish's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25669

TY for the info...i will do some research.

pimike
    SPORTS IS MONEY
    pimike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 90072

Quote Originally Posted by asiagambler View Post
    There is still very little regulation in this industry. Far from impossible for an exchange to just disappear with your money, it's happened before

Exchanges can also be hacked, or even just claim to be "hacked" and force you to take a haircut and what recourse would you have? None as a lot of them operate in shady jurisdictions
    Like China

DA_MOSS
    Yepp
    DA_MOSS's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 412

Quote Originally Posted by asiagambler View Post
    Definitely some chance. I'd say at least 95%
    Wait.. you saying there’s a 95% chance BTC reaches an all time high this year....?

ThaWoj
    hope i dont wake up tomorrow
    ThaWoj's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3507

Quote Originally Posted by Arky View Post
    Safest is a hardware wallet. Get A Ledger or a Trezor. If you're just dealing with 1-4 cryptos, a Ledger Nano S is affordable at $59 and not that hard to use with a little time invested. More than 5 cryptos, go for the Ledger Nano X @ $119.

https://www.ledger.com/

With a hardware wallet, the private keys are kept secret even from you - they are kept on the device - you hold the private keys in your hand. With the case of Bitcoin on a Ledger, you can generate a new public key for each and every Receive transaction but the private key will always stay the same.

There are ways to earn interest on Bitcoin and other cryptos but they usually involve you turning over your crypto to them and hope they don't get hacked or abscond with your funds. Look into BlockFi.com and crypto.com if you're interested. I'm on crypto.com and currently have about 1/2 my crypto "staked" and earning 4-6% interest. I'd stake it all if I felt 100% safe about it.... Check Youtube for introductory material and tutorials on both these websites and the hardware wallets...
    Excellent info 👍

First 12